'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A Step Back  (Read 5160 times)

RideMyBuycks

• All American
A Step Back
« on: February 11, 2013, 08:50:16 PM »
Let's take a breath and take a step back.

We have had some shots fall our way, and some fall dramatically against us. But with what seemed to be pegged as a "down year", we are a half of a game out of first place in arguably the best conference in the country. Our 3 remaining (currently) ranked opponents are at home where we hold one of the nation's longest winning streaks, and we have 4 very winnable games on the road. I would have been thrilled if someone told me that we would be in this position at the beginning of the year.

Take a long deep breath and get to work, Marquette. Let's string some wins together, play as a team and finish strong.

GGGG

• All American
Re: A Step Back
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 08:51:31 PM »
Yeah, I am not all that beat up about this loss.  Losing on the road to a top 20 team happens. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 08:52:43 PM »
I'm not really all that upset about losing at G-town.   I had it on my list as a loss.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:54:22 PM »
Yeah, I am not all that beat up about this loss.  Losing on the road to a top 20 team happens. 

Agreed. 3 very quality wins sit infront of us in Pitt, Cuse and ND. Junior seems to be more comfortable at home, and Buzz has 5 days to straighten out DG.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 08:56:19 PM »

We have had some shots fall our way, and some fall dramatically against us. But with what seemed to be pegged as a "down year", we are a half of a game out of first place in arguably the best conference in the country. Our 3 remaining (currently) ranked opponents are at home where we hold one of the nation's longest winning streaks, and we have 4 very winnable games on the road. I would have been thrilled if someone told me that we would be in this position at the beginning of the year.

Take a long deep breath and get to work, Marquette. Let's string some wins together, play as a team and finish strong.

YESSS!!! What he said.....
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 08:56:23 PM »
I'm not surprised we lost either, Georgetown is a good team, and winning on the road is tough.  I'm very happy with the way the season has gone so far, I never would have guessed we would be in this position after seeing the Green Bay loss.  

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 09:05:06 PM »
Get our heads screwed on tight this week in practice, get DG to throw an elbow at CO, strap up those camouflage Jordans and decide our own fate. It's a rare position to be in while playing in the Big East. There is no ceiling come March.  

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 09:15:35 PM »
I think the issue for some is that the defense was non-existent against DePaul and was very poor outside the first five minutes tonight. Bad trend with a tough team coming to town.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 09:31:12 PM »
Team lacks overall quickness and generally is devoid of bigtime talent. For them to even be in a discussion for a double bye in the BE Tourney is a testament to the overall league weakness.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 09:31:45 PM »
Real Warriors don't make excuses.

Look, tonight was a winnable game and we should have won. It was the kind of game that we're going to see a lot of when we make the NCAAs. We're going to have to defeat teams like Georgetown if we intend to go anywhere in the tournament. This year, more than any I have seen in recent years, the tournament is wide open and if we get a run late, we can do some real damage.

I would stress that unless there's a big, immediate NCAA rule change, Marquette won't be playing ANY games at the Bradley Center. So take measure of the loss, figure out what we have to do to win outside Milwaukee County and, well, go do it!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 09:51:17 PM »
Agreed. 3 very quality wins sit infront of us in Pitt, Cuse and ND. Junior seems to be more comfortable at home, and Buzz has 5 days to straighten out DG.

No way this team beats Cuse.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 09:52:56 PM »
Team lacks overall quickness and generally is devoid of bigtime talent. For them to even be in a discussion for a double bye in the BE Tourney is a testament to the overall league weakness.
Bingo!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 10:53:13 PM »

Or basketball in general. This tweet tonight sums it up pretty well.  State of hoops not so good anymore, but it does make it exciting for a lot of teams...which I like.

https://twitter.com/ChrisTorrisi/status/301137415853187073

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 11:05:57 PM »

The problem is most of the time this team looks terrible on offense (primarily shooting, but that's half the offensive game).  Even though we should make the tourney, if we play like this, we will win one game at the very best.  I'd like to see some signs from my eyes that we will play better or at least a bit more consistently.

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 11:07:42 PM »
Or basketball in general. This tweet tonight sums it up pretty well.  State of hoops not so good anymore, but it does make it exciting for a lot of teams...which I like.

https://twitter.com/ChrisTorrisi/status/301137415853187073

Yeah, but college basketball's quality of play diminishing is still an issue, and the games are certainly not very pleasing to the eye.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 07:06:51 AM »
Point guards make a team click and ours just are not at high enough level. We need a PG that can push the ball with some speed. I would rather see a turnover in tansition than 25 seconds into a bad half court offensive set. We need help at PG. I know eveyone was against Kory Lucious but his style of play is what we need IMO.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 07:25:53 AM »
I'm not really all that upset about losing at G-town.   I had it on my list as a loss.

I am! But it's more because it is the only game I get to go to in person, guaranteed, not because of the school. I would be pissed if I lived in any Big East city and we were 1-4 playing at their place, but that 2009 road win was sweet!

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 08:58:45 AM »
In General we played poorly but if a few plays go our way this game could have been very close.  A few that come to mind are All were in the last 10 mintues of the game.

1)Vander having a 3 from the wing that was 80% down before it pops out with.
2)We make a def stop and Vander attempts to push the ball up the middle of the floor with guys on both sides and loses the ball.
3)Gtown misses 2 FT and we do not get the rebound and its out of bounds on us.

Another one from the 1st 1/2 that bothered me is (Jr does this allot) We get a def stop, and the rebound.  Every Gt player is already moving up the court and JR decides to start running up the floor without the ball when they have no chance of a break and he catchs it looking back but running up the court and player steps in front of him and he travels. If I was the other coach I would do this all the time and would probably get 2-3 travels/turnover's in the back court every game.  PG's should know when to push the ball and when to take care of it.  If you are looking back and do not see any Defender's that should mean they are all in front of you and should not be sprinting up the floor without the ball looking backwards.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 09:05:20 AM »
There is no crime with splitting with Georgetown.  Everybody in the league would be thrilled with that, including Syracuse.

connie

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 09:14:14 AM »
I agree we need to step back.  Overall we are in a pretty good place.  The terrible shooting and lazy passes are just so frustrating.....
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 09:46:29 AM »
Point guards make a team click and ours just are not at high enough level. We need a PG that can push the ball with some speed. I would rather see a turnover in tansition than 25 seconds into a bad half court offensive set. We need help at PG. I know eveyone was against Kory Lucious but his style of play is what we need IMO.

+100000000000

It's a guards game, especially in today's day and age

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 09:48:48 AM »
+100000000000

It's a guards game, especially in today's day and age

Especially against the zone, our PG's can't shoot and are not quick enough to penetrate the lane to draw the defender. I think it is time to see how a Blue/Mayo guard combo works for 32 minutes a game.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 09:51:58 AM »
Actually, Junior is actually very good in the open court (except, predictably,  against Siva ) and can really push the ball on the break. He also attacks the rim quite well.   His problem, like last night, is in the half-court game where he makes some poor decisions with the ball and is loose with his handle.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 10:02:02 AM »
Actually, Junior is actually very good in the open court (except, predictably,  against Siva ) and can really push the ball on the break. He also attacks the rim quite well.   His problem, like last night, is in the half-court game where he makes some poor decisions with the ball and is loose with his handle.

I think it's a stretch to say Cadougan is very good in the open court.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 10:05:32 AM »

Only in transition is he average when attacking the rim.