[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Nothing about Nunn  (Read 56915 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Nothing about Nunn
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2012, 10:01:07 AM »
Speaking of banning questions - Was Warthog banned or did he just go into hibernation?

read thread.  he just went away like he tends to do.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2012, 10:18:27 AM »
Same IP address = same computer, logging in under different usernames.

Thanks. So at a minimum, Chicos has posted as Hoopaloop. More likely, they're the same person.  

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2012, 11:18:59 AM »
Maybe Hoop was just shadowing Chicos at work. As a Marquette fan, would you need to meet a person beforehand to let him shadow you at work? Some of you can be so closeminded sometimes. Why would his boss have any problem with some person from a message board showing up in the office? We are all MU fans.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2012, 12:30:44 PM »
So help out a guy who's computer illiterate. On a number of occasions over the past year Chicos and Hoopaloop have posted from the same IP address within minutes of one another. Does this mean they're posting from the same computer? Different computers that are physically close by? Or something else? Thanks.

IP addresses are typically assigned by your ISP, and IP addresses are typically "leased" to a computer for a definite period of time.  When the lease expires (or is near expiration), the lease can be renewed or a new IP may be assigned.  So most computers have what's called a "dynamic IP," which means it's subject to change from time to time... some subscribers may have a "static IP" address that never changes, however those are typically limited to business-plan subscribers, those hosting servers, etc.

Further, ISP's are given a range of IP addresses to assign... that's why you can track someone's general location (i.e. city/state) with an IP address.  For instance, Comcast in Lake County, Illinois may assign IPs ranging from 173.165.0.1 to 173.165.255.255.  So if you run across someone with a 173.165.X.X IP address, you know they're in Lake County; however, the computer using 173.165.213.12 (as an example) on Monday may not be using that IP address on Friday.  However, if a website is accessed twice by the same IP address, the shorter the period of time is between the two page calls, the better the chance the calls originated from the same computer.  ISP's can further tune the assignable ranges according to neighborhood, plan subscription, cell tower, etc. to the point where you might "share" a range of 50 possible IP addresses with only two or three neighbors (giving rise to the "possibly" line in Rocky's tracking software).

In essence, the IP address your computer is assigned at a given location (home, work, phone) may not always be the same, but they'll be in the same range.

So in this case, you have a couple of smoking guns:

1) The most damning case is where two separate usernames being used from the same IP address within minutes of each other indicates that Chico and Hoop were logging in from the same computer.
2) A pattern of four usernames (CBB, Chicos, Chicoz, Hoop) coming from the same IP range - and being the only Scoop usernames originating from that range - indicates that all four are using the same ISP from the same locale.  In this case, it's nearly impossible to have two (or more) computers that are supposedly 1,000 miles apart accessing the same range.
3) Rocky was able to trace a set of IP ranges being used by Hoop which are assigned to DirecTV.  (Chicos having mentioned on multiple occasions that he's an employee of DirecTV is pretty much all you need to know there).

With all this said, this doesn't necessarily mean that Hoop and Chicos are the same person.  However, if this is not true, it does mean that -- as Rocky mentioned -- two (or more) people are sharing the Hoop username.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2012, 12:57:08 PM »
1) The most damning case is where two separate usernames being used from the same IP address within minutes of each other indicates that Chico and Hoop were logging in from the same computer.

This isn't entirely true.  We can't prove that they're on the same computer because they have the same IP.  They are definitely browsing from the same physical location and are subnetted, but unless we have their MAC address we can't say that they're definitely on the same computer.

It's a lot like on your home network.  You have one external IP address assigned to you.  If you have 3 computers at home all on the same modem/router they will all look like they're coming from the same IP address.

Using the same IP is very damning, but not quite as specifically damning as you say.  It would be highly unlikely that Chicos had another ardent MU fan working at the same DirecTV location in CA that happened to be on the same subnet as himself at work.  Highly unlikely.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2012, 01:00:41 PM »
So, they are either the same person, or they are different people connected in such a way that is entirely too strange for me to comprehend.

BTW, is now a good time to admit that I once poured a beer over Chicos head when we were in college?  (This was told to me by a classmate, and verified by another...I have no recollection of the incident in question.)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2012, 01:24:12 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, Benny.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2012, 01:26:13 PM »
I knew Chicos at Marquette also.  He was on my dorm floor Freshman & Sophmore years.  He was the only person I knew from California while at Marquette.  I just don't remember him having multiple personalities like he has on the boards here.  Maybe I just don't remember period or I just wasn't paying attention?  

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2012, 01:33:25 PM »
This isn't entirely true.  We can't prove that they're on the same computer because they have the same IP.  They are definitely browsing from the same physical location and are subnetted, but unless we have their MAC address we can't say that they're definitely on the same computer.

It's a lot like on your home network.  You have one external IP address assigned to you.  If you have 3 computers at home all on the same modem/router they will all look like they're coming from the same IP address.

Using the same IP is very damning, but not quite as specifically damning as you say.  It would be highly unlikely that Chicos had another ardent MU fan working at the same DirecTV location in CA that happened to be on the same subnet as himself at work.  Highly unlikely.

You're right.... I didn't go into subnets and local IP's which is possible, but again, if they're supposedly 1,000 miles apart...

In any event, I agree that it's not damning in and of itself that two usernames originated from the same IP, but given the pattern here, it's the most damning part.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2012, 01:36:35 PM »
You're right.... I didn't go into subnets and local IP's which is possible, but again, if they're supposedly 1,000 miles apart...

In any event, I agree that it's not damning in and of itself that two usernames originated from the same IP, but given the pattern here, it's the most damning part.

Totally agree.

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2012, 01:39:13 PM »
I'm Spartacus.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Nunn Visiting
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2012, 01:42:30 PM »
I almost banned the new CBB and Hoop on the spot after seeing that, but I figured I'd give "them" a chance to explain how an unbiased computer is linking them together despite living over 1000 miles apart.  This ought to be good...

Interesting that since posting this, CBB has posted multiple times, but Hoop hasn't even logged on to the site. Hoop has been so much more active lately, and suddenly, just as this post drops, he is gone for 4 days? I'm sure it's just coincidence...  ::)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2012, 01:58:09 PM »
It's too bad.

I actually used to agree with Chico's on a lot of stuff, and I thought he had some good insight.

However, his style of posting, frequency on posts, and stubbornness led to people automatically disagreeing or discarding anything he said. This created a vacuum where everything turned into a debate rather than a discussion. It became a troll war amongst ourselves.

Oh well. Maybe that's the destiny we are all headed for. Once you get above 12,000 posts, nobody wants to know what you think anyways.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2012, 02:03:32 PM »
Back in like 2000 at Rivals he was one of my favorite posters.   Think he went on a little "look at me" trip and has been trying to be Murf-esque since in my opinion.   

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2012, 02:25:41 PM »
It's too bad.

Oh well. Maybe that's the destiny we are all headed for. Once you get above 12,000 posts, nobody wants to know what you think anyways.

Once you get to 12,000 posts everyone already knows what you think.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2012, 02:27:31 PM »
You guys all fight with each other non stop for no other reason than being bored at work and taking the internet too seriously.  If you'd all just stop attacking each other we could all be much happier.

RIP to the late, great Rodney King.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1sONfxPCTU0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1sONfxPCTU0</a>

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2012, 02:34:29 PM »
Once you get to 12,000 posts everyone already knows what you think.

Maybe that's why he felt he needed a new username.  No one was listening anymore.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2012, 02:37:25 PM »
Wow this is pathetically hilarious

augoman

• All American
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2012, 03:18:41 PM »
soooo, can we change the topic title to "nothing to do with Nunn"..., ?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2012, 03:28:52 PM »
Everybody happy now? Chicos' been outed, BFD. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, aina? Where's the crime? Aren't we all Warriors and Marquette family? Man, live and let live instead of stickin' your dick out. Life's too short, enjoy the journey.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2012, 03:31:01 PM »
You guys all fight with each other non stop for no other reason than being bored at work and taking the internet too seriously.  If you'd all just stop attacking each other we could all be much happier.

F*ck you!  Don't tell me what to do, Nazi!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2012, 04:00:02 PM »
soooo, can we change the topic title to "nothing to do with Nunn"..., ?

Or "Nothing About Nunn."? Oh wait...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2012, 04:07:28 PM »
Everybody happy now? Chicos' been outed, BFD. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, aina? Where's the crime? Aren't we all Warriors and Marquette family? Man, live and let live instead of stickin' your dick out. Life's too short, enjoy the journey.

Some people would say the same thing about Tom Crean. Hasn't stopped you from posting about him.

You've been Chico's'd.  ;)

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2012, 04:47:01 PM »

Spot on but you guys are missing one minor point.  They could both be filtered through a company's VPN or WAN and thus appear to be in the same physical region while being 1,000s of miles apart. 
The company I work for has offices in Illinois and Texas (and elsewhere) but all internet traffic goes through one point in Illinois.  Heck I could be on the moon going through a VPN and it'd look like I'm in Illinois. 
There's also the outlandish possibility both are using the same botnet-anonymizer that routes through an infected system at DirectTV. 

/totally unnecessary over-analysis
//they could be co-workers
///ducks
////CBB/Hoop would have played up that angle awhile ago
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2012, 04:50:58 PM »
Spot on but you guys are missing one minor point.  They could both be filtered through a company's VPN or WAN and thus appear to be in the same physical region while being 1,000s of miles apart. 
The company I work for has offices in Illinois and Texas (and elsewhere) but all internet traffic goes through one point in Illinois.  Heck I could be on the moon going through a VPN and it'd look like I'm in Illinois. 
There's also the outlandish possibility both are using the same botnet-anonymizer that routes through an infected system at DirectTV. 

/totally unnecessary over-analysis
//they could be co-workers
///ducks
////CBB/Hoop would have played up that angle awhile ago

Good thing 1 works for DirecTV and the (alter-ego) other engineers airplane parts. That rules that possibility out.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback