collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: White Privilege at MU  (Read 80213 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: White Privilege at MU
« Reply #600 on: June 20, 2018, 08:24:52 AM »
Most people disregard law & order in our society, especially in cases where it applies to them for some matter they feel is trivial.  There are many examples.

Right.  And 4ever thinks that unless someone immediately does everything that the Police ask you when you commit trivial acts, they should be tased and thrown to the ground.  Otherwise we are living in a society with complete disorder.  Comical..

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #601 on: June 20, 2018, 08:27:16 AM »
Next time someone intentionally drives thru a red light because they have determined that law doesn't apply to them, I'm hoping you're not on the receiving end of the collision.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #602 on: June 20, 2018, 08:30:49 AM »
If they do, they should be ticketed.    Not tased.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #603 on: June 20, 2018, 08:34:47 AM »
Next time someone intentionally drives thru a red light because they have determined that law doesn't apply to them, I'm hoping you're not on the receiving end of the collision.

LOL.  No one said that Brown shouldn't have received a citation for parking in a handicapped spot.

Man who would have thought the nonsensical crap you normally say here would be the most intelligent stuff you post?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #604 on: June 20, 2018, 08:53:58 AM »

I agree most of those offenses all can have big negatives consequences but aren't you sortve making a false equivalency? Nobody was going to die from Browns poor parking choice... if someone can find an instance where an individual died from the extra walk I'll eat my words
Maigh Eo for Sam

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #605 on: June 20, 2018, 08:54:19 AM »

I understand your point that laws matter. But the issue here is that the Constitution matters more, and the Constitution (which, generally speaking, outlines the limitations of what the government can do against the people) forbids the use of force in such petty, non-violent circumstances. I know you said you agree the police acted inappropriately. And really, the analysis should end there. If the police broadly used violence in situations like it was used against Brown — in the name of law and order or otherwise — would mark a dark moment for America, and would mean our rights under the Constitution, subject to whims of the government, are meaningless. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #606 on: June 20, 2018, 08:56:10 AM »
Don't try to equate breaking the law with excessive punishment. Did Sterling Brown break the law when he parked horizonally across 2 handicapped parking spaces? Simply answer, aina? Next simple question: Would the police have even stopped to investigate an incident had Sterling Brown parked within the lines of Walgreen's parking lot? So, even a dude who works at a US News lowly ranked college, should be able to deductively reason that Sterling Brown could have avoided the entire fiasco, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #607 on: June 20, 2018, 09:09:17 AM »
Don't try to equate breaking the law with excessive punishment. Did Sterling Brown break the law when he parked horizonally across 2 handicapped parking spaces? Simply answer, aina? Next simple question: Would the police have even stopped to investigate an incident had Sterling Brown parked within the lines of Walgreen's parking lot? So, even a dude who works at a US News lowly ranked college, should be able to deductively reason that Sterling Brown could have avoided the entire fiasco, hey?

Well the entire incident could have been avoided had the Police decided to ignore an illegally parked car at a Walgreens at 2:00 AM.

But that's not the point.  The point is that Brown illegally parked, the Police investigated, and the Police escalated the situation unnecessarily.  Brown didn't.

Brown should have been cited.  That's it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #608 on: June 20, 2018, 09:11:49 AM »
To my knowledge no one has agrued otherwise.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #609 on: June 20, 2018, 09:12:36 AM »

Duh, it's Walgreen's fault. If Walgreen's wasn't in business, Brown couldn't have illegal parked there in the first place. Simple, aina?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #610 on: June 20, 2018, 09:15:42 AM »
To my knowledge no one has agrued otherwise.

Well then you shouldn't be blaming Brown for what occurred afterwards.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #611 on: June 20, 2018, 09:33:30 AM »

False equivalency. The worst case of Sterling Brown's actions were to significantly inconvenience a disabled person who needs to get into Walgreens and park in the handicap spot. Intentionally driving through a light could cause thousands of dollars of damage and/or series injury/death.

Nearly everyone, every day "breaks the law" to the same degree as Sterling Brown did...if the consequence of that action is the potential to be tazed this is the very definition of a police state and a state of being I refuse to accept in this country.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #612 on: June 20, 2018, 10:02:06 AM »

You imply that the answer to the bolded is no, without any basis for it.  Everyday black people are stopped for "looking suspicious".

He very likely would have been questioned as to what he was doing in the Walgreens parking lot at 2 AM, if parked legally...we will never no, so your assumption that by parking legally he could have avoided it, is assumption not fact. 

Given the treatment of him by the cops, it may be a bad assumption.

And their assault of Brown is also a crime, but you don't seem to be advocating for them to be arrested.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #613 on: June 20, 2018, 10:10:19 AM »
You imply that the answer to the bolded is no, without any basis for it.  Everyday black people are stopped for "looking suspicious".

He very likely would have been questioned as to what he was doing in the Walgreens parking lot at 2 AM, if parked legally...we will never no, so your assumption that by parking legally he could have avoided it, is assumption not fact. 

Given the treatment of him by the cops, it may be a bad assumption.

And their assault of Brown is also a crime, but you don't seem to be advocating for them to be arrested.

Honestly it's not relevant. I get your point but arguing what ifs is kind of masturbatorial  rhetorically when the what actually happened was so bad and is inarguable as acceptable. You're route is just gonna get a "you don't know that" and achieves nothing.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #614 on: June 20, 2018, 10:19:57 AM »

To my knowledge, no one has argued otherwise.

But once the "entire fiasco" wasn't avoided, the cops needlessly escalated the situation, making it 100% on them.

They broke the law numerous times, they assaulted one of the citizens they had sworn to protect, they tried to cover it up, they mocked the "rule of law" by cracking jokes as they committed illegal acts, several of them publicly exposed the racism that they had kept more private, and hopefully every one of them gets the jail time he deserves.

4ever, despite your schtick I always thought you were an ethical guy. But with the way you have blamed the victim here ... eye gess knott.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #615 on: June 20, 2018, 10:54:36 AM »
Maybe this isn't you, but I love the folks that scream "the government needs to leave X thing/right alone" while simultaneously saying "just follow exactly what the government has told you to do and you won't get beaten/tazed/murdered".

Similar to these brainiacs.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #616 on: June 20, 2018, 11:03:05 AM »
Similar to these brainiacs.

Unfortunately I think the majority of our populace is now these types of brainiacs.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #617 on: June 20, 2018, 11:31:32 AM »
Honestly it's not relevant. I get your point but arguing what ifs is kind of masturbatorial  rhetorically when the what actually happened was so bad and is inarguable as acceptable. You're route is just gonna get a "you don't know that" and achieves nothing.

True.  Good point.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #618 on: June 20, 2018, 11:33:56 AM »
Don't try to equate breaking the law with excessive punishment.

Huh? Excessive force is unlawful ya bobo.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #619 on: June 20, 2018, 09:12:37 PM »
Unfortunately I think the majority of our populace is now these types of brainiacs.

Just because they yell the loudest does not make them a majority.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #620 on: June 20, 2018, 09:31:42 PM »
Just because they yell the loudest does not make them a majority.
#truth

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #621 on: June 21, 2018, 06:28:15 AM »

Right.  And 4ever thinks that unless someone immediately does everything that the Police ask you when you commit trivial acts, they should be tased and thrown to the ground.  Otherwise we are living in a society with complete disorder.  Comical..

everything seems so simple in your life...especially looking backwards-nice ?-(.

first let me preface this, looking backwards-what the police did to brown was way out of bounds, unacceptable, broke the law and should be used on how NOT to finish off an interrogation. 

now, what 4ever and i are trying to convey however is that police do have a protocol to go through- a paradigm to follow.  the whole scope of the situation must be kept in perspective here.  2:00am, the area of town which has been noted to have a higher than average rate of prostitution among other crimes.  mr brown was with an unknown female at the time as well.  ok, double parking in the handicap section set everything in motion, then browns behavior.  this is where the paradigm kicks in-what if brown pulls his hands out of his pockets, has a gun and shoots a police officer(s)?  one could say that brown, by not immediately heeding the officers commands was being either intentionally provocative, altered state of mind, activist or just plain dumb.  police have a sequence of scenarios they must go thru and so far mr brown was not helping out anyone's cause. was the female being held against her will, 2 involved in any of the probable number of issues that i am sure these cops were on surveillance of as well.  were they getting ready to rob the walgreens...so many things could have been in play here.  the police need information before than can just walk away or let mr brown go just as they did with michael bennett in las vegas if any of you shall recall.  i believe this whole incident could have been defused very early

that all being said, the police over-reacted.  yes i know, the under statement of the year. but remember, this is looking back.  i'm sure many other police watching this now can see where they went wrong.  but our point is, if not for a group of rogue cops, there are so many other directions this scene could have taken.  i have seen scenes where the police will briefly handcuff a subject until they can deem the situation safe-they never got to that point with mr brown.  there were just too many variables going on here for them to just what?  walk away?  once they engaged mr brown, the situation had to be assessed.

that is where the cops went wrong-having 8 cops, there should not have been the need to exercise the amount of force they exhibited.  these guys either missed this part of clearing an area to be safe,questioning and detaining a suspect or were just bad people.  i am sure their training shows alternatives to this behavior-a little more diplomacy perhaps.  it is of utmost importance that these police be vetted properly before sending them out into the real world.  either these guys weren't ready for this situation or they became cops for the wrong reasons, but whoever cleared them to take on their present duties should be demoted or fired as well. 

bottom line, there were too many moving parts here to come to a knee jerk reaction.  it was a bad beginning and it was a very bad ending.  let's just be thankful that no one was killed and this incident may help show other cops of what NOT to do during the course of their assessments
don't...don't don't don't don't

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #622 on: June 21, 2018, 06:54:15 AM »
everything seems so simple in your life...especially looking backwards-nice ?-(.

first let me preface this, looking backwards-what the police did to brown was way out of bounds, unacceptable, broke the law and should be used on how NOT to finish off an interrogation. 

now, what 4ever and i are trying to convey however is that police do have a protocol to go through- a paradigm to follow.  the whole scope of the situation must be kept in perspective here.  2:00am, the area of town which has been noted to have a higher than average rate of prostitution among other crimes.  mr brown was with an unknown female at the time as well.  ok, double parking in the handicap section set everything in motion, then browns behavior.  this is where the paradigm kicks in-what if brown pulls his hands out of his pockets, has a gun and shoots a police officer(s)?  one could say that brown, by not immediately heeding the officers commands was being either intentionally provocative, altered state of mind, activist or just plain dumb.  police have a sequence of scenarios they must go thru and so far mr brown was not helping out anyone's cause. was the female being held against her will, 2 involved in any of the probable number of issues that i am sure these cops were on surveillance of as well.  were they getting ready to rob the walgreens...so many things could have been in play here.  the police need information before than can just walk away or let mr brown go just as they did with michael bennett in las vegas if any of you shall recall.  i believe this whole incident could have been defused very early

that all being said, the police over-reacted.  yes i know, the under statement of the year. but remember, this is looking back.  i'm sure many other police watching this now can see where they went wrong.  but our point is, if not for a group of rogue cops, there are so many other directions this scene could have taken.  i have seen scenes where the police will briefly handcuff a subject until they can deem the situation safe-they never got to that point with mr brown.  there were just too many variables going on here for them to just what?  walk away?  once they engaged mr brown, the situation had to be assessed.

that is where the cops went wrong-having 8 cops, there should not have been the need to exercise the amount of force they exhibited.  these guys either missed this part of clearing an area to be safe,questioning and detaining a suspect or were just bad people.  i am sure their training shows alternatives to this behavior-a little more diplomacy perhaps.  it is of utmost importance that these police be vetted properly before sending them out into the real world.  either these guys weren't ready for this situation or they became cops for the wrong reasons, but whoever cleared them to take on their present duties should be demoted or fired as well. 

bottom line, there were too many moving parts here to come to a knee jerk reaction.  it was a bad beginning and it was a very bad ending.  let's just be thankful that no one was killed and this incident may help show other cops of what NOT to do during the course of their assessments

I think that's where you essentially explained white priveledge. The immediate suspicion of prostitution etc are all things that just don't happen with white folks
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #623 on: June 21, 2018, 08:21:15 AM »
I think that's where you essentially explained white priveledge. The immediate suspicion of prostitution etc are all things that just don't happen with white folks

Exactly.  Thank you.  Rocket wants to explain away the fact that these cops, one of which was overtly racist on social media, very likely treated Brown different than they would have a white guy because of his skin color.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #624 on: June 21, 2018, 08:33:59 AM »

Actually, you didn't even have to read that far.  Note his prefatory comment:

Interrogation?  For parking illegally?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

feedback