collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: White Privilege at MU  (Read 80220 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: White Privilege at MU
« Reply #550 on: May 29, 2018, 05:50:46 AM »
And?  You treat people who hate dentists all of the time.

i do have the ability to dismiss(fire) patients who have irrevocably harmed the patient-doctor relationship.  there is a proper procedure to follow, but i have done it many times.  we agree to see said patient for 30 days for emergencies only while they seek the care of another dentist.  we agree to send any and all pertinent patient records to their new dentist...gladly, may i add
don't...don't don't don't don't

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #551 on: May 29, 2018, 08:21:23 AM »
I cannot wait to tell my wife and kids my new name.  Ha ha  :D
You can tell her it is spelled H-O-O-P-A-L-O-O-P

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #552 on: May 29, 2018, 09:23:44 AM »
You can tell her it is spelled H-O-O-P-A-L-O-O-P

Other than the strikingly similar tone speech and views of warriordad and Chico's do we actually have any proof they're the same person? I admit I was convinced they were but it seems he'd have something truly wrong with him to commit this hard to not being Chico's.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #553 on: May 29, 2018, 09:47:49 AM »
This all depends on what profession is getting painted with a broad brush.  Few want to throw all teachers under the bus because 1 of 10000 of them will have a sexual relationship with a minor student .. so yeah, you're correct, no one needs to rush out and say "99% of teachers aren't pedophiles."  -- But when an incident goes sideways for a cop, indeed, their whole profession is eagerly protested by chunks of the population.

Respectfully, I believe you're wrong here. Most people who protest police shootings and the like are not "protesting the whole profession" any more than those taking a knee during the anthem are protesting a flag. They're protesting the misconduct committed  members of that profession and the historical lack of consequence to those guilty of said misconduct.
This is an unfortunate rhetorical trick played by those who don't like the protests. Shift the narrative from "they're protesting police misconduct" to "they're protesting ALL COPS." Shift the narrative from "NFL players are protesting racial injustice" to "NFL players are protesting the flag."
And yeah, I'm sure you can find an example of someone protesting ALL COPS. Those people are the exception.

Mix law enforcement, bad actors, constant physical and verbal evasion, the need for snap decisions, not to mention a gun culture together, and no one should be under the delusion that 100% of all interactions will have perfect outcomes.   Train and strive for it, yes.  Realize it's a toxic stew with an error rate that indeed creates a need to defend those who enforce the law when the inevitable occurs.

What, in your mind, is the difference between an "error" and misconduct?

So, yes, I do give extra credit for good policing interactions, especially in this age as disrespect for law enforcement trends upwards.

Uhhh .....

It is a time of intense scrutiny for American police officers, an era that FBI Director James B. Comey recently called “uniquely difficult” during a speech to police chiefs. Many people in and around law enforcement would agree with his assessment. Police officers, retired and current, as well as their relatives, have said in interviews since last year they feel as if officers are disparaged, targeted and vilified amid years of protests over how authorities use deadly force. And throughout the presidential campaign, Donald Trump, the Republican nominee, has repeatedly assailed what he calls a lack of respect for police.
Yet despite all of this, if you ask Americans how they feel about their local police, people say they have more respect for them than they have in almost half a century.
A Gallup poll released this week found that a little more than three in four Americans (76 percent) reported having “a great deal” of respect for the police who patrol their communities, a significant uptick over last year and the highest share reported to Gallup since 1967.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/10/25/american-respect-for-police-reaches-highest-level-in-50-years/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3de23ea1f123

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #554 on: May 29, 2018, 11:21:44 AM »
Respectfully, I believe you're wrong here. Most people who protest police shootings and the like are not "protesting the whole profession" any more than those taking a knee during the anthem are protesting a flag. They're protesting the misconduct committed  members of that profession and the historical lack of consequence to those guilty of said misconduct.
This is an unfortunate rhetorical trick played by those who don't like the protests. Shift the narrative from "they're protesting police misconduct" to "they're protesting ALL COPS." Shift the narrative from "NFL players are protesting racial injustice" to "NFL players are protesting the flag."
And yeah, I'm sure you can find an example of someone protesting ALL COPS. Those people are the exception.

What, in your mind, is the difference between an "error" and misconduct?

Uhhh .....
Yet despite all of this, if you ask Americans how they feel about their local police, people say they have more respect for them than they have in almost half a century.
A Gallup poll released this week found that a little more than three in four Americans (76 percent) reported having “a great deal” of respect for the police who patrol their communities, a significant uptick over last year and the highest share reported to Gallup since 1967.[/i]
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/10/25/american-respect-for-police-reaches-highest-level-in-50-years/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3de23ea1f123

Indeed, we disagree.  No doubt, the concept that there's a desired spin on the protests as you suggest (protesting all cops vs. incident(s)) there is enough of both types to be more than relevant -- and I don't believe, as you say "the exception."   (But what do I, or you, know.)

While the article you linked to shows respect for police at an all time high, I imagine you are well aware of why.  The graph shows respect ratings from 1965 to today with it hovering in the low 60s, and yet it spikes over the 1-2 years.  Since recent "policing" isn't doing anything materially different to warrant such a prideful surge,  I think we can both agree on the reason for this recent spike: Our political climate.   

Just as more people who are furious with police incidents, there are more people who tell pollsters they are respectful, primarily due to the distaste of watching people protest, not to to mention ~half our population with rampant jingoism, rising to protect their side, their flag, their tribe.

I'd love to hear nyg's take on whether he believes law enforcement is more or less respected in the past decade.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #555 on: May 29, 2018, 11:34:04 AM »
Other than the strikingly similar tone speech and views of warriordad and Chico's do we actually have any proof they're the same person? I admit I was convinced they were but it seems he'd have something truly wrong with him to commit this hard to not being Chico's.

That pretty much proves it's the Bondsman.  The same guy that has gone off on the mods repeatedly.  The guy who desperately hides his identity with every new screen name but can't help but have his real self shine through.  The guy that spent months with the Chico's/Hoopaloop charade.

In comparison, Ners has been banned multiple times as well, but he's never claimed repeatedly to be someone else like Chico's has.  "Something truly wrong" barely scratches the surface.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #556 on: May 29, 2018, 12:11:38 PM »
  "Respectfully, I believe you're wrong here. Most people who protest police shootings and the like are not "protesting the whole profession" any more than those taking a knee during the anthem are protesting a flag. They're protesting the misconduct committed  members of that profession and the historical lack of consequence to those guilty of said misconduct.
And yeah, I'm sure you can find an example of someone protesting ALL COPS. Those people are the exception."

please explain the mass protests of cops-...fry'em like bacon and kill all cops and most horrendously, the random shootings of cops while sitting in their car or the ambushes, etc...in these instances, they are not singling out certain cops or groups of police.  these are acts of despicable acts of violence that should warrant the death penalty.  i will not even put them in the category of protests
don't...don't don't don't don't

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #557 on: May 29, 2018, 02:14:58 PM »
This all depends on what profession is getting painted with a broad brush.  Few want to throw all teachers under the bus because 1 of 10000 of them will have a sexual relationship with a minor student .. so yeah, you're correct, no one needs to rush out and say "99% of teachers aren't pedophiles."  -- But when an incident goes sideways for a cop, indeed, their whole profession is eagerly protested by chunks of the population.

Mix law enforcement, bad actors, constant physical and verbal evasion, the need for snap decisions, not to mention a gun culture together, and no one should be under the delusion that 100% of all interactions will have perfect outcomes.   Train and strive for it, yes.  Realize it's a toxic stew with an error rate that indeed creates a need to defend those who enforce the law when the inevitable occurs.

So, yes, I do give extra credit for good policing interactions, especially in this age as disrespect for law enforcement trends upwards.

The problem with comparing cops with teachers, say, or other professions is the unique nature of their job. It comes with considerably more risk than other jobs, and this fact deservedly gives them an umbrella of lenience. Legally speaking, there's a whole body of case law around how law enforcement gets a degree of latitude under the Constitution to adequately discharge of their duties. And that's absolutely how it should be.

But that umbrella of leniency is not endless. Indeed, cops are also entrusted with a profound level of power and, therefore, are given a unique level of responsibility. The reason why the brush is sometimes swept more broadly across the canvas for cops is because there's a long, proven history of targeted abuse of that power and responsibility. This is where the original topic of this thread really comes into play - for us white folks, police abuse really is a rare occurrence, such that from our perspective, painting with a broad brush is not justified. But to a black person who spent the 60's,70's, 80's, and 90's in south LA, they've seen something completely different and a broad brush is not a distortion, it's their reality. Truly a world apart. The protests should be - and largely are - about awareness of this fact, to correct for the likelihood that so many of us have been insulated from experiences that minorities, by contrast, are forced to live with daily.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 02:16:49 PM by Babybluejeans »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #558 on: May 29, 2018, 03:37:11 PM »
Well said, bbj.

Also good to note the vast universe of difference between rural policing and urban policing.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #559 on: June 03, 2018, 08:24:27 AM »
Intersectionality is cultural cancer. Marxism repackaged and placed in the vehicle of "racial justice." It should be resisted at every turn.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #560 on: June 03, 2018, 08:45:09 AM »
Intersectionality is cultural cancer. Marxism repackaged and placed in the vehicle of "racial justice." It should be resisted at every turn.

It's a theory that makes some good observations and many zany ones.  Just like Marxism.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #561 on: June 03, 2018, 10:57:22 AM »
I’m impressed this isn’t locked yet.

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #564 on: June 05, 2018, 01:56:52 PM »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #565 on: June 05, 2018, 04:06:22 PM »
Every one of them should be fired.

Yep, every last one of them.

You wonder that if it wasn't a Bucks player if they would have gotten away scot-free, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #566 on: June 05, 2018, 04:19:17 PM »
Yep, every last one of them.

You wonder that if it wasn't a Bucks player if they would have gotten away scot-free, too.

Well, they admit as much in the video, right? Would anyone have even asked for the video if this wasn't a person of means and status?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #567 on: June 05, 2018, 04:34:10 PM »
Well, they admit as much in the video, right? Would anyone have even asked for the video if this wasn't a person of means and status?

Correct.

Also what I find fascinating is that the additional body camera footage was leaked unlike the original footage which the police department released themselves. The police department said that the additional footage wouldn't be formally released until all statue requirements were met.

A) Who leaked it, because ya gotta think it's someone in the department that thinks this is shady as $hit
B) Why is the more damning video "classified" for longer than the original video
C) This is a really really bad start for the new police chief. Not only, IMO, has he underpenalized the offices...the PR has been a disaster and the lack of forthcomingness(is that a word?) is appalling. I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt but this is really really troublesome to me.
D) I'm not sure how anyone can watch all of the videos in their entirety and still go...."well ya know, it takes two to tango".
E) It takes an famous person to expose this, what does it look like for the common citizen who has this happen to them? The majority of cops are fine upstanding officers, but this stuff is happening way too much and needs to be seriously addressed in each community.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #568 on: June 05, 2018, 07:17:35 PM »
Correct.

Also what I find fascinating is that the additional body camera footage was leaked unlike the original footage which the police department released themselves. The police department said that the additional footage wouldn't be formally released until all statue requirements were met.

A) Who leaked it, because ya gotta think it's someone in the department that thinks this is shady as $hit
B) Why is the more damning video "classified" for longer than the original video
C) This is a really really bad start for the new police chief. Not only, IMO, has he underpenalized the offices...the PR has been a disaster and the lack of forthcomingness(is that a word?) is appalling. I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt but this is really really troublesome to me.
D) I'm not sure how anyone can watch all of the videos in their entirety and still go...."well ya know, it takes two to tango".
E) It takes an famous person to expose this, what does it look like for the common citizen who has this happen to them? The majority of cops are fine upstanding officers, but this stuff is happening way too much and needs to be seriously addressed in each community.

Great points as usual, mu03.

See, this is how the narrative gets made that "the cops are racist." It's so unfair to the vast, vast, VAST majority of clean, honorable cops. But this kind of action, which goes all the way up to the top, is ugly and puts a stain on good ones like our own nyg.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #569 on: June 05, 2018, 08:19:25 PM »

See, this is how the narrative gets made that "the cops are racist." It's so unfair to the vast, vast, VAST majority of clean, honorable cops. But this kind of action, which goes all the way up to the top, is ugly and puts a stain on good ones like our own nyg.

Completely agree, and while I don't know the job I'd think some of the change has to be driven from within. What do the officers that weren't there in the MPD think of this?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #570 on: June 05, 2018, 08:48:44 PM »

I do think it is unfair to the vast majority of clean/honorable cops.  But when those clean honorable cops know a rogue peer is doing things that are underhanded, dirty, racist or similar and they turn a blind eye, they are also culpable. 

I work in science.  If peers were fabricating data, and I allowed it to occur without speaking up, my profession would rightfully be vilified, and even though I don't fabricate data, the fact I let it go on, without speaking up makes me part of the problem.

For the record, I've reported peers for data fabrication, or "selective" data presentation before. 

If something unacceptable is occurring, we all need to speak up or it's roots will take hold.

GGGG

• All American

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #572 on: June 19, 2018, 01:51:18 PM »
https://deadspin.com/lawsuit-milwaukee-officer-at-sterling-brown-arrest-jok-1826956001

Wow.

A good reminder that there are some people who are profoundly and irredeemably stupid. The fact this guy was given a badge and any kind of authority is a serious failure of the police department.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #573 on: June 19, 2018, 02:17:25 PM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #574 on: June 19, 2018, 03:41:52 PM »
Social media sure does help morons let their freak flags fly.  Be it facebook, twitter, etc.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback