collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: White Privilege at MU  (Read 80218 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: White Privilege at MU
« Reply #375 on: May 23, 2018, 12:40:45 PM »

Calling someone a mf'in' pig is a lot different than a suspect saying "I object to you citing me today, sir."

I think you should raise this with the city of Milwaukee, since their policy says it's no different at all when it comes to use of force. There's no "he hurt my feels with mean words" exception.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #376 on: May 23, 2018, 01:57:17 PM »

Calling someone a mf'in' pig is a lot different than a suspect saying "I object to you citing me today, sir."

I'm also gonna go on a limb and suggest that Brown, who is the son of a police officer himself, probably wouldn't call one a "Mf'ing pig".

At least my hypothetical leap is grounded in a published fact.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #377 on: May 23, 2018, 05:35:55 PM »
Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=476&v=oPSpmk7S4eg

The first 8 minutes are a bunch of talking, can't really hear the video.

He's surrounded by 5-6 cops.

Relevant bits .. 8:10 cop commands "take your hands out of your pockets now!" .. it appears one cop then comes from behind and perhaps tries to yank his hands out of his pockets .. Brown resists this move, and all cops converge upon him wrestling him down.   22 seconds of struggling and the taser is fired.

I'm sure everyone will see exactly what they want to see in this video.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #378 on: May 23, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »
Why would audio matter if verbal resistance is irrelevant?

audio absolutely matters-
you're are going along the lines of "rules are rules".  what if the audio provided over the top threatening verbiage that could indicate an imminent threat?  what if while brown was resisting, spittal was splattering the cop(s)?  to gather as much evidence as one can could be the difference between exonerating the cops and a multi-gazillion$$ lawsuit
don't...don't don't don't don't

Goose

• All American
« Reply #379 on: May 23, 2018, 05:42:15 PM »
From what I saw, overkill by the cops. Tough job, but not sure this situation merited the police presence or actions. That said, one thing I have always done, whatever a cop tells me to do, I do it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #380 on: May 23, 2018, 05:44:47 PM »
Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=476&v=oPSpmk7S4eg

The first 8 minutes are a bunch of talking, can't really hear the video.

He's surrounded by 5-6 cops.

Relevant bits .. 8:10 cop commands "take your hands out of your pockets now!" .. it appears one cop then comes from behind and perhaps tries to yank his hands out of his pockets .. Brown resists this move, and all cops converge upon him wrestling him down.   22 seconds of struggling and the taser is fired.

I'm sure everyone will see exactly what they want to see in this video.

gee, whatever happened to just doing what authority tells ya to do?  if you do that, and bad chit still happens, it will be shown on the camera just like those showing the people lying about their interactions with the police-the truth will come out.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #381 on: May 23, 2018, 05:49:09 PM »
gee, whatever happened to just doing what authority tells ya to do?  if you do that, and bad chit still happens, it will be shown on the camera just like those showing the people lying about their interactions with the police-the truth will come out.

We don't live in a literal police state, the "just comply and nothing bad while happen" thought is a real bad take
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #382 on: May 23, 2018, 06:01:19 PM »

He backed up, not as much as the cop would've liked but he did back up, cop didn't have the right to push him.

When was the last time they immediately called for backup when talking to you? That's over the top from the get go

he had his hands in his pockets for 8min before they started screaming at him. I'd be confused to
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #383 on: May 23, 2018, 06:03:18 PM »
Would love to see some of the responses the bucks and Wojo are gonna get when recruiting the next few months
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #384 on: May 23, 2018, 06:04:41 PM »
He backed up, not as much as the cop would've liked but he did back up, cop didn't have the right to push him.

When was the last time they immediately called for backup when talking to you? That's over the top from the get go

he had his hands in his pockets for 8min before they started screaming at him. I'd be confused to

Not to mention the context of black man surrounded by cops in the middle of the night. Brown almost had to be the one to de-escalate which is a terrible spot to put a citizen in. Should be significant consequences for the officers there.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #385 on: May 23, 2018, 06:09:38 PM »
Cops were dead wrong.

I look forward to seeing how they are censured/punished for this egregious violation of a citizen's rights and the unnecessary escalation of violence.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #386 on: May 23, 2018, 06:10:17 PM »

that worked out well for Philando Castile, didn't it?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #387 on: May 23, 2018, 06:11:46 PM »
We don't live in a literal police state, the "just comply and nothing bad while happen" thought is a real bad take

Totally agree. People forget the cops work law abiding citizens as they are to serve and protect us - not harass, taser and kill.

This cop was a tough guy. He went in looking for a problem. He came in very confrontational. F that dude. Hopefully he gets canned. He needs anger management. I mean this is a freaking parking ticket and this cop had to go all f'ing hero. What a jagbag. He should get tazed in the nuts.  He also lies right at 4:30 saying he got right into it with him. Lies from that hero cop to all his buddies. No wonder he gets the pack all riled up. And whomever fired the taser should charged with felony aggravated battery and be put in prison. F* this. Every cop there should be fired and charged as an accessory too. They all escalated the problem. Every f'ing one of them.

Why couldn't the cop just write the ticket and move on. F'ing hero complex. Hope he gets nasty Nate as a bunkmate in Waupan.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #388 on: May 23, 2018, 06:12:56 PM »

rocket, seriously ... I don't know you but we have had enough exchanges for me to think you're basically a good guy, as well as one who calls himself Christian. Is it really that difficult for you to put yourself in another man's shoes, even if that guy is a man of color? Do you really have so much trouble thinking about what it must have been like to be Brown in this situation? Wow.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #389 on: May 23, 2018, 06:15:11 PM »
Totally agree. People forget the cops work law abiding citizens as they are to serve and protect us - not harass, taser and kill.

This cop was a tough guy. He went in looking for a problem. He came in very confrontational. F that dude. Hopefully he gets canned. He needs anger management. I mean this is a freaking parking ticket and this cop had to go all f'ing hero. What a jagbag. He should get tazed in the nuts.  He also lies right at 4:30 saying he got right into it with him. Lies from that hero cop to all his buddies. No wonder he gets the pack all riled up. And whomever fired the taser should charged with felony aggravated battery and be put in prison. F* this. Every cop there should be fired and charged as an accessory too. They all escalated the problem. Every f'ing one of them.

Why couldn't the cop just write the ticket and move on. F'ing hero complex. Hope he gets nasty Nate as a bunkmate in Waupan.

Yeah, but if Brown has a friend on the Packers and that player takes a knee during the anthem to protest this, the Packers will get fined. So at least our democratic republic is safe from tyranny!

That's me, always trying to find gold under the rainbow.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #390 on: May 23, 2018, 06:17:35 PM »
Wow! You knew it was gonna be bad when the cops had to put out a PR video about how much they like black people.

And still people here (mainly the same guy who always thinks it's the black guys fault) blame Brown.

Every cop involved should be fired today and charged with criminal assault tomorrow.

But we know the drill. Just as higher ups allowed priests to rape children over and over again, the powers that be in police departments have continued to endorse this behavior for hundreds of years.

Cops, priests, presidents....... as long as people support the criminals, it will never end. The poor and minorities will continue to share the blame.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #391 on: May 23, 2018, 06:21:22 PM »

Every cop at the scene who did nothing to stop the abuse should be fired and fully prosecuted.  Let's not blame this on one bad cop, but rather a gang of thugs who all themselves "police".

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #392 on: May 23, 2018, 06:47:01 PM »

God. Yet another one who thinks non compliance is a taserable offense.

Typical people lining up in favor of a police state.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #393 on: May 23, 2018, 07:20:07 PM »

I don't think rocketsurgeon is "that guy", but I do know a Wayne LaPierre fan who is crying "police state" every time a municipality enacts a restrictive gun ordinance. This same friend of mine always ends up on the "taze the disobedient MFer" side.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #394 on: May 23, 2018, 07:22:58 PM »
rocket, seriously ... I don't know you but we have had enough exchanges for me to think you're basically a good guy, as well as one who calls himself Christian. Is it really that difficult for you to put yourself in another man's shoes, even if that guy is a man of color? Do you really have so much trouble thinking about what it must have been like to be Brown in this situation? Wow.

i am a pretty good guy :)  all i'm trying to do is provide a little balance-did the cops act over-zealously? perhaps.  could brown have done anything differently? perhaps.  in order to make the best analysis of the whole thing, maybe mr. brown could do a little more explaining of what he was doing.  you guys are attacking me because i'm not dry humpin all your legs in full agreement here.

i merely said that the audio does matter as it could give us more understanding as to why either party acted as they did.  i merely stated that if one were to listen to an authority's orders, a different outcome could have occurred. 
    that's it

so, for someone to make those 2 observations/suggestions, whatever and have their character questioned is one of the problems with this board.  any little stray from what appears to be the "status quo" ...

i can reasonably understand how many could come to the conclusion that the police over-reacted.  yes, i am very pro-cop and i respect the hell out of what they do, but i think it would be nice to hear a little more from mr. brown as well.  it just seems many here are quick to lean toward the victim. 

all in all, i think this goes about 60% cops heavy handed, 40% mr. brown could've cooperated a little more

on another note, i heard that sterling played later that evening and put up an electrifying performance :D

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #395 on: May 23, 2018, 07:28:45 PM »

He thinks black skin is a taserable offense.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #396 on: May 23, 2018, 07:34:50 PM »

nice try with the dog whistle-which logic classes did you take.  if that's what you got out of my posts sully, you've got an electrolyte imbalance or something...i'll go with something though

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #397 on: May 23, 2018, 07:44:50 PM »
nice try with the dog whistle-which logic classes did you take.  if that's what you got out of my posts sully, you've got an electrolyte imbalance or something...i'll go with something though

Bullsh*t. Anyone who thinks that incident was 40% on Brown basically is a police state advocate.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #398 on: May 23, 2018, 07:45:21 PM »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #399 on: May 23, 2018, 07:52:49 PM »

That's how I see it.  The cop was looking to escalate from the beginning.