collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: White Privilege at MU  (Read 80215 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: White Privilege at MU
« Reply #325 on: May 22, 2018, 02:41:25 PM »
After an alarm. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #326 on: May 22, 2018, 03:27:58 PM »
Will wait for video to make judgment, but the mayor is "concerned."

I think the video will be damning and something should be done but the mayor being concerned is laughable. Dude is an empty suit will just make moral statements without doing anything actually useful. Nice guy and all but the worst kind of politician.....really good at pointing at the fire without any ability to make sure the fire gets put out.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #327 on: May 22, 2018, 03:33:02 PM »
Simply a pr move to cater to da constituency. Barrett is a limp penis, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #328 on: May 22, 2018, 04:30:47 PM »
When you are a young white millionaire professional athlete, you don't get tased and arrested for parking in handicapped spots at a Walgreen's.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/video-police-using-stun-gun-bucks-sterling-brown-concerns-milwaukees-mayor-164333999.html

Or TAMU.  (But he did get a ticket)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #329 on: May 22, 2018, 04:40:25 PM »
Food truck tacos

Oyster cracker wars
Arby's Drive thru (share ride)
Donuts
Tombstone pizzas
Lunar eclipse

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #330 on: May 22, 2018, 05:30:19 PM »
Simply a pr move to cater to da constituency. Barrett is a limp penis, hey?

His constituents like him. Who should he cater too?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #331 on: May 22, 2018, 05:42:17 PM »
Didn't hafta say nothin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #332 on: May 22, 2018, 05:43:07 PM »
Didn't hafta say nothin', hey?

Why?  To keep you boys up in the Quon happy?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #333 on: May 22, 2018, 05:56:20 PM »
Will wait for video to make judgment, but the mayor is "concerned."

I was watching a story on WTMJ 4 yesterday and thought it was very telling that they used this picture for Sterling Brown:

Considering how long ago this was, I would think that a more presentable picture would be appropriate:

They are definitely helping to shape the narrative with their image choice.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #334 on: May 22, 2018, 06:43:24 PM »
I was watching a story on WTMJ 4 yesterday and thought it was very telling that they used this picture for Sterling Brown:

Considering how long ago this was, I would think that a more presentable picture would be appropriate:

One more example of pure racism - gotta make him look like a derelict or drug dealer.

An offshoot of the "bad is black" effect where magazines will darken photos of black men because we see darker as more evil.

The OJ cover on Time Magazine (maybe it was Newsweek) is the most famous example. They intentionally darkened his skin so we would all know that black is evil. IFIC, they issued an apology for the cover.

In all fairness, though, cops get off on releasing nasty pics of any celebrity - see Nick Nolte, Gary Busey, or Lindsay Lohan to name just a few.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 07:07:48 PM by Jockey »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #335 on: May 22, 2018, 07:23:08 PM »
Why?  To keep you boys up in the Quon happy?

Gonna take a peak outta my ivory tower ta cee if its safe ta come out, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #336 on: May 22, 2018, 08:10:00 PM »
I don't have a problem with using the arresting mug shot as the picture the media uses. 

The police weren't dealing with clean cut, possibly make-uped Bucks' uniformed photo shoot guy.   They were dealing with the guy in the mug shot.

Does it "shape a narrative"?  Or does it journalize what happened at 2am Friday night? -- The answer to that likely depends on your frame of mind.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #337 on: May 22, 2018, 08:26:31 PM »

That's his mugshot photo, standard for news organizations to do this.  Look at the mugshot of the killer down in Houston that shot the school last week.  I suppose they could have run his class picture instead where he is smiling and handsome, but that's not what news orgs do.  Should they?  Should they be required to show a good picture and a bad picture?

The media has tremendous power to influence emotions one way or the other by what photos they choose.  In the Trayvon Martin situation the media was widely panned for using a photo of him as a 12 year old when he was 17 at his death.  The questions became why they would show a person's photo so out of scope with their present age, especially the difference in size and maturity.

Take a look at Tiger Woods mugshot , Nick Nolte, Nick Carter, Justin Bieber.  The range is endless because of the state they are in, time of day, if they smile vs not smiling, but to your point the media can create an image if they wish. My question is whether in this case they did, or did the simply use a mug shot as most news organizations do? 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #338 on: May 22, 2018, 08:26:48 PM »

In all fairness, though, cops get off on releasing nasty pics of any celebrity - see Nick Nolte, Gary Busey, or Lindsay Lohan to name just a few.

Or arrests are made, TV news deems the arrest newsworthy, TV news stations request mug shot, and then police release the mug shot, which is aired by TV news while reporting the arrest.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #339 on: May 22, 2018, 08:30:14 PM »
White folks can't catch a break, what with all the fraudulent cries of racism by black folks.

Racism? Please. Blacks have it great here, and they always have.

Why cannot it not be both?   If body cameras catch police or others committing racist acts, that is a good thing so we can stop it.  If same cameras are capturing supposed victims also acting in racist rants or condemning police is that also not a good thing?  Why cannot it not be both? 

If it catches fraudulent claims, great.  If it catches fraudulent actions, great.  I'm not aware of anyone saying one group cannot catch a break or another group has had it worse, isn't the point to decide what the truth is and the cameras are tool to determine that?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #340 on: May 22, 2018, 09:20:19 PM »
One more example of pure racism - gotta make him look like a derelict or drug dealer.

An offshoot of the "bad is black" effect where magazines will darken photos of black men because we see darker as more evil.

The OJ cover on Time Magazine (maybe it was Newsweek) is the most famous example. They intentionally darkened his skin so we would all know that black is evil. IFIC, they issued an apology for the cover.

ahem...
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #341 on: May 22, 2018, 09:27:29 PM »
You realize the whole point of racial discrimination is that people specifically ignore the content of one's character, or make judgments about the content of one's character based on their being black or brown?

Do you really think that slavery and, more currently, Jim Crow are irrelevant now - even though there are generations of people still alive that lived through it (including, possibly, you)? Do you really think those underlying beliefs and institutions don't still exist in American society? And do you really think that, if they do exist, that fact is neither important nor relevant?

Those are not rhetorical questions. I'm genuinely curious, since you seem awfully eager to ignore the reality of the past and present.

i understand completely that racism, sadly, still exists.  what i am trying to persuade is that it is how one behaves them self, or not, should be the barometer.

don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #342 on: May 22, 2018, 09:44:08 PM »
Why cannot it not be both?   If body cameras catch police or others committing racist acts, that is a good thing so we can stop it.  If same cameras are capturing supposed victims also acting in racist rants or condemning police is that also not a good thing?  Why cannot it not be both? 

If it catches fraudulent claims, great.  If it catches fraudulent actions, great.  I'm not aware of anyone saying one group cannot catch a break or another group has had it worse, isn't the point to decide what the truth is and the cameras are tool to determine that?

Rough to be white in America today. Why, somebody might spell your name wrong on your Starbucks cup ... or wish you Happy Holidays instead of Merry Xmas!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #343 on: May 22, 2018, 09:48:40 PM »
Or arrests are made, TV news deems the arrest newsworthy, TV news stations request mug shot, and then police release the mug shot, which is aired by TV news while reporting the arrest.

Please, enough of this even handedness. America has slavery, Jim Crow, etc., as part of her history. Therefore the use of mug shots in stories surrounding the arrests of black suspects is a blatant act of racism. It's in chapter one of "Logic I Never Took" by Brandie. It's a real page turner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #344 on: May 22, 2018, 10:02:29 PM »
Rough to be white in America today. Why, somebody might spell your name wrong on your Starbucks cup ... or wish you Happy Holidays instead of Merry Xmas!

Hell, they might even put "Panther Pride" ornaments on your tree. So much legit outrage, so little time...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #345 on: May 22, 2018, 10:15:42 PM »
Hell, they might even put "Panther Pride" ornaments on your tree. So much legit outrage, so little time...

Oh, I was "outraged"! I screamed, "If you ever step foot in my yard again, I will shoot to kill!! North Carolina is a 'stand your ground' state, you know!!!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #346 on: May 22, 2018, 11:25:26 PM »
Please, enough of this even handedness. America has slavery, Jim Crow, etc., as part of her history. Therefore the use of mug shots in stories surrounding the arrests of black suspects is a blatant act of racism. It's in chapter one of "Logic I Never Took" by Brandie. It's a real page turner.

Maybe read my entire post before jerking your knee.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #347 on: May 23, 2018, 06:18:40 AM »
Maybe read my entire post before jerking your knee.

I did read it. Without evidence, you insist that the cops "get off" on releasing nasty pictures of celebrities (they have no choice about releasing them - it's the media that demands them and publishes them). Patting yourself on the back ("in all fairness") for the addendum to your original statement (never retracted) that the picture is "one more example of pure racism" doesn't change that. I think you're the one who knee jerked, Brandie. Then tried (half heartedly IMHO) to walk it back a little.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 08:30:00 AM by Lennys Tap »

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #348 on: May 23, 2018, 07:31:10 AM »
  i understand completely that racism, sadly, still exists.  what i am trying to persuade is that it is how one behaves them self, or not, should be the barometer.

I completely agree. And that's precisely what black folks are asking for too.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #349 on: May 23, 2018, 08:33:35 AM »
I did read it. Without evidence, you insist that the cops "get off" on releasing nasty pictures of celebrities (they have no choice about releasing them - it's the media that demands them and publishes them). Patting yourself on the back ("in all fairness") for the addendum to your original statement (never retracted) that the picture is "one more example of pure racism" doesn't change that. I think you're the one who knee jerked, Brandie. Then tried (half heartedly IMHO) to walk it back a little.

Exactly.  This isn't an example of racism or white privilege.  Mugshots can be accessed by the public and are used pretty much universally by media outlets when reporting arrests.