collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: White Privilege at MU  (Read 80215 times)

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
Re: White Privilege at MU
« Reply #275 on: May 20, 2018, 05:54:35 PM »
I think that is a vocal reactive group that wants everyone to be guilty of something.

Unfortunately, a universality not limited to any one political persuasion.
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

MU82

• All American
« Reply #276 on: May 20, 2018, 06:57:06 PM »
bought my tickets yesterday - if you've not seen him with your local symphony it's well worth whatever the ticket price isnot all old farts are the same - this one loves him some Childish Gambino and that is a fantastic song/video

Big fan and have seen him many times, including once with the Charlotte Philharmonic.

I will say that his shows before he got super-famous - in other words, during his the years of his first couple of Ben Folds Five albums - were longer and better. I went to see him solo at Millennium Park after he got super-famous and his show, frankly, sucked. Not all that uncommon in the biz, unfortunately. Everybody ain't Springsteen!

But I did see Folds after that at The Vic and again in Charlotte with the Philharmonic and both were better ... though not as good as the first couple times I saw him.

I hope he puts on a great show for you.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #277 on: May 20, 2018, 07:18:02 PM »

Actually words don't have static meanings, so they haven't "always" been synonyms.  The word "gender" was almost primarily about the masculine and feminine forms of nouns in languages rather than having anything to do with biological sex.  It didn't primarily become a synonym for sex until the 1900s.

Anyway, here is the current definition according to the Oxford English Dictionary:

"Either of the two sexes (male and female), especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones. The term is also used more broadly to denote a range of identities that do not correspond to established ideas of male and female."

Ok fine, but if many people have defined that word a certain way for 120 years, to change the definition over a year or so, well, there will be many people that still recognize the definition they have held their entire lives.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #278 on: May 20, 2018, 07:27:12 PM »
Ok fine, but if many people have defined that word a certain way for 120 years, to change the definition over a year or so, well, there will be many people that still recognize the definition they have held their entire lives.

"A year or so?"  Pay attention more.

And yes of course, people will still recognize the definition they have held.  Human nature.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:28:45 PM by #bansultan »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #279 on: May 20, 2018, 08:15:37 PM »
  Pay attention more.

To you?  No thanks.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #280 on: May 20, 2018, 08:27:46 PM »
To you?  No thanks.

Well, if you want to remain ignorant, I guess that's your choice.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #281 on: May 20, 2018, 08:35:05 PM »
Well, if you want to remain ignorant, I guess that's your choice.

Oh yeah, you are the light in a darkened world.  How could I ever live while ignoring you. 
When I said "about a year" it was meant as a figure of speech -- exaggeration for effect ,  but your hubris didn't allow you to see that when you could make yourself feel smart I guess.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:39:26 PM by buckchuckler »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #282 on: May 20, 2018, 08:38:34 PM »
Hoe lotta bitch slap, pissin' match goin' on, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #283 on: May 20, 2018, 08:41:27 PM »
Oh yeah, you are the light in a darkened world.  How could I ever live while ignoring you. 
When I said "about a year" it was meant as a figure of speech -- exaggeration for effect ,  but your hubris didn't allow you to see that when you could make yourself feel smart I guess.

"A figure of speech"...lol...OK guy.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #284 on: May 20, 2018, 09:02:19 PM »

over 24k posts-and this one don't count...damn, eyn'a?  must have a force-field around your
    account...ummm, double eyn'a 
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #285 on: May 20, 2018, 09:16:51 PM »
https://www.barstoolsports.com/newyork/man-loses-his-mind-and-threatens-to-call-ice-because-a-couple-of-workers-at-a-deli-were-speaking-spanish-to-a-customer

What is wrong with people?

no kidding-

http://wpde.com/news/local/timmonsville-naacp-president-says-was-racially-profiled-body-cam-video-shows-otherwise

addendum- moultrie's facebook post was deleted and he had no comment

this is the stuff that sets us back-of course we always hear about the legit ones, but how many of similar stories like moultrie's do we NOT hear about?  back to the "what is wrong with people" thing though-sad all around when it happens either way, but absolutely no need to fuel the fire.  our police are vulnerable enough.  how many jobs are there where ya don't know if you will survive the day?  i mean percentage- wise as there are no guarantees, but just saying

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #286 on: May 20, 2018, 09:25:00 PM »
no kidding-

http://wpde.com/news/local/timmonsville-naacp-president-says-was-racially-profiled-body-cam-video-shows-otherwise

this is the stuff that sets us back-of course we always hear about the legit ones, but how many of similar stories like moultrie's do we NOT hear about?  back to the "what is wrong with people" thing though-sad all around when it happens either way, but absolutely no need to fuel the fire.  our police are vulnerable enough.  how many jobs are there where ya don't know if you will survive the day?  i mean percentage- wise as there are no guarantees, but just saying

The bolded is in no way accurate. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #287 on: May 20, 2018, 09:45:14 PM »

Haha, ok.  To me, that isn't worth lying about.  And also, even if scoop were my only contact with the outside world, I wouldn't have been able to avoid this conversation. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #288 on: May 21, 2018, 12:00:18 AM »
no kidding-

White folks can't catch a break, what with all the fraudulent cries of racism by black folks.

Racism? Please. Blacks have it great here, and they always have.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #289 on: May 21, 2018, 06:27:16 AM »
White folks can't catch a break, what with all the fraudulent cries of racism by black folks.

Racism? Please. Blacks have it great here, and they always have.

just saying-these are the cases that set legit cases back.  similar to faux rape accusations.  if we are to work toward achieving any semblance of "fairness" and work further to diminish disparities,  there needs to be just castigation.  this sets their opportunities back. 

oh, and everyone makes their own bed, even the white folk

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #290 on: May 21, 2018, 07:19:29 AM »
just saying-these are the cases that set legit cases back.  similar to faux rape accusations.

These are the things that white males say to excuse lack of progress.  I guess its just easier to blame others than look in the mirror.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #291 on: May 21, 2018, 07:58:46 AM »

These are the things that white males say to excuse lack of progress.  I guess its just easier to blame others than look in the mirror.

While I do agree people say it as an excuse for lack of progress do you deny that there should be more accountability towards those that make false claims?
Maigh Eo for Sam

chapman

• All American
« Reply #292 on: May 21, 2018, 08:15:46 AM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #293 on: May 21, 2018, 08:25:58 AM »
While I do agree people say it as an excuse for lack of progress do you deny that there should be more accountability towards those that make false claims?

Of course.  But real claims vastly outnumber false ones.  So people who hang on to every false claim and say "SEE!!!!" really are missing the point.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #294 on: May 21, 2018, 04:44:26 PM »

Of course.  But real claims vastly outnumber false ones.  So people who hang on to every false claim and say "SEE!!!!" really are missing the point.

I have no idea what the ratio of real vs false claims are. The only way to know would be if all cops wore body cams.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #295 on: May 21, 2018, 05:20:50 PM »
White privilege at Marquette means that, if you are a white athlete, you don't have to worry about badger fans accusing you of being a thug or criminal.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #296 on: May 21, 2018, 05:45:52 PM »
White privilege at Marquette means that, if you are a white athlete, you don't have to worry about badger fans accusing you of being a thug or criminal.

Or worse yet, having attended junior college.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #297 on: May 21, 2018, 07:18:43 PM »
Or worse yet, having attended junior college.

Horrors and Zounds!!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #298 on: May 21, 2018, 07:28:20 PM »
I am stymied by yet another profound contradiction of contemporary American society: If, as you say, one may choose to identify as being a member of another race why then is half the country outraged when a teenage girl in Utah buys a second hand cheongsam to wear to prom?

Wow!!!!!

162,000,000 people outraged all at once. Has that ever even happened before in the 242 year history of this country?

Any word on how they expressed that outrage? I want to be sure to steer clear of the madmen and madwomen and madchildren.

Surely, this should be in the Daily Dose of Doom thread.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #299 on: May 22, 2018, 05:11:16 AM »

speak for yourself-i'm just saying that the false claims ruin the cred of the real claims.  the people who should be mad at those who are trying to lie and cheat the system to further their cause with the false claims are the real victims themselves. 

white males do not claim a "lack of progress"  rather, they claim that real racism is ignored from the other side.  the minorities claim that they cannot be racist because they are in the minority which is wrong.

you know how all this could be cleaned up?  once again, content of the character-treat well meaning people well. those who abide by the law should have nothing to worry about.  do good things, treat others with respect.  in law enforcement, they are dealing with many criminals who try to ruin it for the others who are trying to live life on life's terms.  the bad people try to force the good ones into their lives of crime, demean those who are doing well in school or are "acting white"  success in their world is to succumb to the white mans world in their minds-that doesn't come from us.  from me anyway.  success should be doing the right thing, the good thing