collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: White Privilege at MU  (Read 80220 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: White Privilege at MU
« Reply #225 on: May 16, 2018, 01:34:42 PM »
when you're dealing with the biggest bunch of snowflakes in the world (you know, the kind who destroy products they've already bought to make a political statement) it's worse than the Starbucks incident x1000.  Besidesm the employees were promptly fired.
Indeed.  One's race is not of one's choosing.  Specific articles of clothing most definitely are.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #226 on: May 16, 2018, 01:51:49 PM »
Saw an interview with Kareem Abdul Jabar last night, and he was addressing this type of stuff and I thought he really made a good point. When issues like this are brought up he thought it important that those who bring it up not do so as if its an accusation and those being informed not receive it as an accusation. It was a very insightful point about how you deliver/receive a message being almost as important as the message itself.

Kareem is a wise man.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #228 on: May 16, 2018, 02:11:50 PM »
Ugly story with a cool ending.  Police basically telling the woman to STFU.

https://www.theroot.com/white-woman-called-the-cops-on-black-real-estate-agent-1826044836

I think it's important that these get posted too. It helps tone down the reactionary response and show more of "what to do" than "what we don't want"
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #229 on: May 16, 2018, 02:14:10 PM »
Amazing where one finds these links.

I found it on Deadspin.

EDIT:  No sorry. Found it on a friend's Facebook page.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #230 on: May 16, 2018, 02:35:56 PM »
Yes, that's what I'm saying (perhaps less artfully). These types of incidents have always occurred. We just know about them now because there's readily available video evidence.

OK, I assumed as much but my deciphering skills were failing me.  ;D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

chapman

• All American

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #233 on: May 16, 2018, 10:41:13 PM »
I read the original story from The Daily Wire. I'm not sure how that is anything even in the same zip code as the Starbucks incident. Has nothing to do with privilege, race, etc

It may or may not.  Was he targeted because of his hat and his color?  If he was a white guy wearing the hat, would he have been targeted?  I'm not sure we know that yet, but what we do know it a man of color was taunted by wait staff at a major restaurant chain for wearing a political hat.  That cannot be tolerated no matter how much I despise our president. None of us should be tolerating that. 

The employees were suspended through yesterday, but today they were fired.   http://time.com/5279851/cheesecake-factory-trump-maga-hats/
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2018, 10:51:00 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2018/05/16/us/ap-us-school-board-police-insults.html

Smile, you’re on candid camera, eyn’a? There are credible cases and then there are those that ruin it for the credible cases.  These are the ones that Provoke and incite real safety issues for the blue and put many unnecessarily in more harms way than they already are-sad.
don't...don't don't don't don't

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #235 on: May 16, 2018, 11:00:23 PM »
It may or may not.  Was he targeted because of his hat and his color?  If he was a white guy wearing the hat, would he have been targeted?  I'm not sure we know that yet, but what we do know it a man of color was taunted by wait staff at a major restaurant chain for wearing a political hat.  That cannot be tolerated no matter how much I despise our president. None of us should be tolerating that. 

The employees were suspended through yesterday, but today they were fired.   http://time.com/5279851/cheesecake-factory-trump-maga-hats/

Cheekz, no appreciation for taking the time to explain what a chicos is for you? So ungrateful. That cannot be tolerated. None of us should be tolerating that.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #236 on: May 17, 2018, 06:08:46 AM »
Cheekz, no appreciation for taking the time to explain what a chicos is for you? So ungrateful. That cannot be tolerated. None of us should be tolerating that.

What's a Cheekz?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #237 on: May 17, 2018, 07:56:11 AM »

And I have an obsession with Chico’s?  What does he have to do with this discussion?  Oh well, as long as you brought him up- free the man!
don't...don't don't don't don't

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #238 on: May 17, 2018, 09:44:01 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2018/05/16/us/ap-us-school-board-police-insults.html

Smile, you’re on candid camera, eyn’a? There are credible cases and then there are those that ruin it for the credible cases.  These are the ones that Provoke and incite real safety issues for the blue and put many unnecessarily in more harms way than they already are-sad.

1. This school board member appears to be an idiot.
2. How does this "ruin it" for credible cases? Credible cases of what? She made no allegation that she was mistreated. She got into an argument with a cop.
3. As always, whether it involves sex assault on campus, racial discrimination or whatever, there are some (like you!) who cynically cite the rare false report as a means to cast doubt on all reports, regardless of their merits.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #239 on: May 17, 2018, 10:03:24 AM »
Y'all don't know what it's like being male, middle-class and white.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #240 on: May 17, 2018, 10:15:36 AM »
1. This school board member appears to be an idiot.
2. How does this "ruin it" for credible cases? Credible cases of what? She made no allegation that she was mistreated. She got into an argument with a cop.
3. As always, whether it involves sex assault on campus, racial discrimination or whatever, there are some (like you!) who cynically cite the rare false report as a means to cast doubt on all reports, regardless of their merits.

Should be noted that here in Jersey we've had two stories in the past year in small towns with police officers being exposed as having white nationalist "hobbies" and/or "sympathies".

If you live here and follow the news, her reaction doesn't seem random.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #241 on: May 17, 2018, 10:22:51 AM »
Should be noted that here in Jersey we've had two stories in the past year in small towns with police officers being exposed as having white nationalist "hobbies" and/or "sympathies".

If you live here and follow the news, her reaction doesn't seem random.

Labeling someone a skinhead simply because he happens to share the same profession and home state as an actual skinhead hardly seems reasonable.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #242 on: May 17, 2018, 11:50:08 AM »
Labeling someone a skinhead simply because he happens to share the same profession and home state as an actual skinhead hardly seems reasonable.

that is true. However, an FBI report from around 10 years ago found that white supremacist groups had made it a priority to join law enforcement agencies, which is deeply concerning:

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/31/the-fbi-has-quietly-investigated-white-supremacist-infiltration-of-law-enforcement/

“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #244 on: May 17, 2018, 03:01:43 PM »
One's race is not of one's choosing. 

And yet Rachel Dolezal not only chose to be black but was hired to run the NAACP in Spokane while also teaching African American studies at a university.

But this begs the question: if one cannot choose one's race then how is it possible to choose one's gender? Now, theBabyDavid is a scientist, and an accomplished one at that, and therefore has accepted the scientific fact that gender is determined by chromosomes.

And yet there are those who say that gender is a personal choice.

So, theBabyDavid is terribly confused: If race is an empirical fact why then is gender not?

Fr Davitt taught us that situational ethics is not possible. Eliminating facts as a convenience is not just obtuse but, indeed, dangerous.
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #245 on: May 17, 2018, 03:14:45 PM »
So, theBabyDavid is terribly confused: If race is an empirical fact why then is gender not?

I don't know, but it is probably the fault of those damn, lazy firefighters.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #246 on: May 17, 2018, 03:17:09 PM »
Most things are. 

I am going to miss this thread.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 03:29:03 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #247 on: May 17, 2018, 03:55:29 PM »
And yet Rachel Dolezal not only chose to be black but was hired to run the NAACP in Spokane while also teaching African American studies at a university.

But this begs the question: if one cannot choose one's race then how is it possible to choose one's gender? Now, theBabyDavid is a scientist, and an accomplished one at that, and therefore has accepted the scientific fact that gender is determined by chromosomes.

And yet there are those who say that gender is a personal choice.

Sex and gender are not synonymous. Sex is biologically determined. Gender is a social construct.
Likewise, race is a social construct. There is no "black" gene .

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #248 on: May 17, 2018, 04:02:48 PM »
Sex and gender are not synonymous. Sex is biologically determined. Gender is a social construct.
Likewise, race is a social construct. There is no "black" gene .

Ya know who might know such things....an accomplished scientist....alas
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #249 on: May 17, 2018, 04:17:03 PM »
Ya know who might know such things....an accomplished scientist....alas

Lol