collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: White Privilege at MU  (Read 80221 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: White Privilege at MU
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2018, 07:08:39 PM »
Before the lock I just want to throw my two cents in.

My philosophy in life is to make the best of the situation I am in. I had no choice in the matter and was not born white. 

Rather than use my minority circumstance as an excuse, I did everything in my power to avoid the stereo types that people associate with people of my race. That is not to say I have not been pulled over for driving while black , asked why I was in  a hotel bar watching a sporting event ( can I help you sir lol?) or endured countless jokes about p+7%4is  size( it gets old after a while especially when you want to be noted for the size of your brain instead) . I just moved on and tried to make myself a better person.  I am probably in the minority ( no pun intended) who take this live and let live approach but it has served me well. At the end of the day I built my business without things like minority set asides and never asked for one. I wish more  in my community would take the up from the boot straps approach I did. 

I can't really speak to what MU should and shouldn't do. The environment is so polarized they are criticized either way. I do wish Lovell had more backbone, I am sure he is trying his best but would be delighted if he didn't cave so quickly.

Does "make myself a better person" involve having intentionally unprotected sex with drunk women?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2018, 07:11:08 PM »
I was wondering who would be the first to feel the need to bring drag Mr. Obama into the conversation.

There were only 2 choices in my mind - you or surgeon. You two never, ever disappoint when the conversation turns to race.

seriously?  i had to pop my hood off to re-read your comment, but you forgot to add chicos :-*
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2018, 07:13:24 PM »
Not to get technical on you, but that's actually a demonstration of racism and/or situational bias, not privilege. White privilege would actually be that if the three kids were white they wouldn't have to have that experience. Those kids, based on the story, handled themselves admirably but that shouldn't be the default because white kids wouldn't have to worry about handling that situation.

I was just attempting to show what you or I would never have to face because we have white privilege.

But, technically, you are correct 8-)

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 07:15:35 PM by Jockey »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2018, 07:18:24 PM »
So Brandy, you're not really a URM, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2018, 07:28:09 PM »
seriously?  i had to pop my hood off to re-read your comment, but you forgot to add chicos :-*

I read today that Babydavid is also being called a chicos. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Goose

• All American
« Reply #155 on: May 09, 2018, 07:34:18 PM »
TheBabyDavid is too sharp to be Chico’s. Note—I am Chico’s fan.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #156 on: May 09, 2018, 07:39:30 PM »
tBD appears to me to be the return of Keefe. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #157 on: May 09, 2018, 08:32:28 PM »
tBD appears to me to be the return of Keefe.

That seems to be an astute observation.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #158 on: May 09, 2018, 09:37:23 PM »
Perhaps the exception to the rule.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/book-party/wp/2017/05/02/before-michelle-barack-obama-asked-another-woman-to-marry-him-then-politics-got-in-the-way/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.195a42ed00ee
*to add levity*
The only source you can find to support your position is a Domer?  One who looks shockingly like a young Martin Short, but still a Domer - the epicenter of white privilege.

*being serious*
Nobody should feel bad about the circumstances they have achieved or using the assets they've been fortunate enough to be born into.  Just be humble and understanding that some will have it more difficult walking into the same situation because of their race/ethnicity/IQ/physical need/degree of attractiveness/haircut/religious belief/neighborhood/last name/etc. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #159 on: May 09, 2018, 11:17:33 PM »
So Brandy, you're not really a URM, hey?

Not sure what you're sayin', but if you're asking if I am white, the answer is yes.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #160 on: May 09, 2018, 11:36:02 PM »

I love you’re still doing this, Cheeks. Unfortunately TheBabyDavid is way more weird and nuanced than you.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2018, 08:03:01 AM »

You should be so lucky.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2018, 09:45:58 AM »
White privilege means that when you cross the street, people don't yell 'N' at you out their window  as they drive by.   As I witnessed two weeks ago while getting ice cream after baseball practice with my 11 year old son and two of his teammates.  That was a fun conversation, explaining that in 2018 there are still people that bigoted and stupid in the world.  My white male son will never have that yelled at him or have random people come up and obscenely proposition him out of nowhere, as my 23 year old daughter has and actually accepts as normal.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:05:14 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2018, 10:05:00 AM »
White privilege means that when you cross the street, people don't yell 'N' at you out their window at you as they drive by.   As I witnessed two weeks ago while getting ice cream after baseball practice with my 11 year old son and two of his teammates.  That was a fun conversation, explaining that in 2018 there are still people that bigoted and stupid in the world.  My white male son will never have that yelled at him or have random people come up and obscenely proposition him out of nowhere, as my 23 year old daughter has and actually accepts as normal.

White privilege means you don't get the cops called on you, and then get interrogated for 15 minutes, because you fell asleep on a couch in your dorm.

A black graduate student at Yale who fell asleep in her dorm’s common room said she had a disturbing awakening this week when a white student flipped on the lights, told her she had no right to sleep there and called the campus police.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/09/nyregion/yale-black-student-nap.html

tower912

• All American
« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2018, 10:11:12 AM »
White privilege means that the cops don't get called when you sit down for a business meeting at Starbucks.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2018, 10:12:47 AM »
White privilege means the cops don't get called when you're leaving your airbnb rental.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2018, 10:22:52 AM »
White privilege means you don't get the cops called on you when you join a University admissions tour.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #167 on: May 10, 2018, 12:22:41 PM »
White privilege also means you don't get preferential admittance standards to the finest universities or get hired to fulfill quotas.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2018, 12:30:43 PM »
White privilege is not needing those to attempt (rightly or wrongly) to compensate for decades if not centuries of blatant racism and abuse.   

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #169 on: May 10, 2018, 12:48:35 PM »
White privilege also means you don't get preferential admittance standards to the finest universities or get hired to fulfill quotas.

White privilege means getting to spout bigoted BS like that and get away with it.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

chapman

• All American
« Reply #170 on: May 10, 2018, 12:56:55 PM »

Except they do...relative to Asians.

White privilege means getting to spout bigoted BS like that and get away with it.

Not aware of any specific analysis done on the hiring side.  On the university admittance part, it's based on actual studies.  The most common study referenced is:

https://www.princeton.edu/~tje/files/files/webAdmission%20Preferences%20Espenshade%20Chung%20Walling%20Dec%202004.pdf

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #171 on: May 10, 2018, 01:00:25 PM »
White Privilege means that you don't get handcuffed when studying in the library of the University that you are enrolled in....happened recently at a prestigious University but is being kept hushed to avoid public backlash (costing them a pretty penny to keep it quiet though).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #172 on: May 10, 2018, 01:05:11 PM »

But see this is the problem here.  We aren't debating affirmative action and quotas.  We are talking about how the very fact that someone is white gives them a status in every day living that minorities do not have.

IOW, we aren't having a legal debate, but a social one.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #173 on: May 10, 2018, 01:31:52 PM »
white privilege means never being told to "go back to where you came from."

white privilege means never being asked "no, where are you FROM?"

white privilege means never being asked "do you speak English" even though you were born in the US and lived here your entire life.

white privilege means never being told "wow, you are very articulate."

white privilege means never being called an "affirmative action hire/admit" (or, if you're a minority woman, a "twofer" or "double boxer").
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2018, 01:42:28 PM »
White privilege means you don't get the cops called on you, and then get interrogated for 15 minutes, because you fell asleep on a couch in your dorm.

A black graduate student at Yale who fell asleep in her dorm’s common room said she had a disturbing awakening this week when a white student flipped on the lights, told her she had no right to sleep there and called the campus police.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/09/nyregion/yale-black-student-nap.html

This is the weirdest of all of these recent stories.  It's the end of the semester and white chick doesn't know that black lady lives on her floor in a dorm?  WTF? 

Wouldn't you be more likely to say, "hey you fell asleep in the lounge. good thing you woke up or I would have pulled the hand in the water trick?"

Or are people at Yale that self-absorbed that they don't talk to anyone?

feedback