[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's Leash  (Read 57358 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Wojo's Leash
« Reply #150 on: November 18, 2015, 12:03:48 PM »
  Assistant for a long time is very different than you being the head coach. 

Two words: Hank Raymonds...

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #151 on: November 18, 2015, 12:05:36 PM »

Majerus needed to leave and Marquette needed him to leave.

They were running out of gym towels?

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #152 on: November 18, 2015, 12:06:10 PM »
And we would have been in the NCAA Tournament if we had one of either Dean Meminger, Lloyd Walton, or Sam Worthen at the point.

It was amazing how quick Worthen was. 

Is he still with the Globetrotters?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #153 on: November 18, 2015, 12:15:40 PM »

4) If the Internet existed in 1967 and the team had the following it does today, YES, AL WOULD BE ON THE HOT SEAT WITH THE SCOOP CROWD. I don't want to think what this group would have done when we went to the NIT (even though, in those days, the NIT title meant something bigger than today). This group would have roasted Al on a spit on Wisconsin Avenue many times over!

dg-

You're wrong. I was there (I think you were too) and I was a fanatical supporter who never missed a game. Criticism of Al didn't come early when he was rescusitating a program that was on life support when he arrived. It was AFTER Al had established himself and MU was a powerhouse that the critics arrived.

Some were the entitled folks who weren't around for or chose not to remember the horrid condition of MU basketball when Al took over. Others were the "Chico faction" who didn't like Al's recruiting (too poor, too black, too low SATs), his "Just win, baby" philosophy and his battles with the powerful folks in charge at the NCAA.

But again, my recollection is the critics didn't emerge until excellence on the court started to be taken for granted.

Wojo arrived in the midst of what we hope will continue to be our second best era in MU history. Like the last 8 or 9 years in the McGuire era the fan base is a bit entitled. Right or wrong, the entitled will always be quicker to criticize.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #154 on: November 18, 2015, 12:22:28 PM »
And we would have been in the NCAA Tournament if we had one of either Dean Meminger, Lloyd Walton, or Sam Worthen at the point.

I don't know they'd be pretty old now days. Might be better to have a younger person playing point.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brandx

« Reply #155 on: November 18, 2015, 12:27:56 PM »
dg-

You're wrong. I was there (I think you were too) and I was a fanatical supporter who never missed a game. Criticism of Al didn't come early when he was rescusitating a program that was on life support when he arrived. It was AFTER Al had established himself and MU was a powerhouse that the critics arrived.

But again, my recollection is the critics didn't emerge until excellence on the court started to be taken for granted.

Glad to read that, Lenny. It is exactly as I remember. And the most howling came in the year that they won it all. If Scoop was around then, I'm guessing the discussions over Bill Neary would have come close to matching those over Derrick.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #156 on: November 18, 2015, 12:37:44 PM »
Only thing I can contribute to this thread at this point

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #157 on: November 18, 2015, 12:38:45 PM »
Glad to read that, Lenny. It is exactly as I remember. And the most howling came in the year that they won it all. If Scoop was around then, I'm guessing the discussions over Bill Neary would have come close to matching those over Derrick.

Yeah, Until the tournament 76-77 would have been ugly if Scoop was around.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #158 on: November 18, 2015, 01:01:10 PM »
Only thing I can contribute to this thread at this point

An Emma Stone gif is a positive contribution to any thread.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #159 on: November 18, 2015, 01:17:37 PM »
When I first saw this post I assumed it was Wojo's leash with his players.  The fact that it is the Admin's leash on Wojo is just fantastic.  The Internet is amazing.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2015, 01:22:16 PM »
Two words: Hank Raymonds...
I am still pissed off about the loss to Miami of Ohio.  We had a clean shot at another title that year.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #161 on: November 18, 2015, 01:29:59 PM »
I am still pissed off about the loss to Miami of Ohio.  We had a clean shot at another title that year.

I remember thinking: this is the beginning of the end.

We had everyone back but Bo.

Death on call

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #162 on: November 18, 2015, 01:44:50 PM »

I can remember sitting in the stands at Market Square thinking the same thing. It was truly an opportunity wasted. We had an incredible lineup.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #163 on: November 18, 2015, 01:48:08 PM »
It was the beginning of the end and took too many too long to realize it. Still a dark day in history of the program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2015, 02:07:56 PM »
  Have some patience, FFS.

Make this your signature.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2015, 02:26:54 PM »

He never actually played for the Globetrotters.  He was the coach of the Washington Generals, which doesn't exist as a team anymore.
Have some patience, FFS.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2015, 03:55:48 PM »

That game showed what a crap shoot the NCAA tournament can be. While Raymonds' winning percentage was less than Al's, no subsequest coach has come close to Hank's winning percentage. His recruiting was on an uptick, when he turned the program over to Majerus, which was the end.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2015, 04:03:13 PM »
So it doesn't actually take games played into account? It just uses academic year?

Year of eligibility, so generally yes--redshirts and transfers are exceptions. I think this poses more of a problem for juco players who are listed as juniors but have no D1 experience. With 351 teams, it's probably a hassle to dig into everyone's minutes and games ever played, so this is a reasonable enough shortcut.

ADDITIONALLY... looking at Pomeroy's experience rankings today, there are almost 80 teams that don't have heights or eligibility years listed at this point in the season. So at this stage MU is #273 out of 282 in the experience category. Again, we have a really young group.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2015, 04:30:09 PM »
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2015, 05:16:08 PM »
I think he has resurfaced on the scout board.   There is a new guy over there who has remarkably similar opinions, though he hasn't really gone over the top yet.   (deeznuts)
I present to you.

http://www.scout.com/college/marquette/forums/2850-mens-hoops/14300623-90-of-good-teams-can-hit-3-s?s=415&page=2

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2015, 05:23:26 PM »

That's why they called him Sudden Sam. One of the greatest to ever come out of NYC. Incredible talent

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #171 on: November 18, 2015, 06:04:01 PM »
Sam and Artie Green both are NYC playground legends.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #172 on: November 18, 2015, 06:18:35 PM »
An Emma Stone gif is a positive contribution to any thread.

She is ugly. Not sure what it is.. well, her mouth, but not sure how to describe it. But she looks like a goat turd.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #173 on: November 18, 2015, 06:32:43 PM »
I've only listened to the games (all two of them) on the radio, but nobody (at least not yet) seems to want to be "the guy." 

Game is on the line and the team is in time-out.  Which current player beats his chest and says "give me the ball!?" 

We had a guy who I think would have done that.  He would have been that guy.  He's now at Iowa State.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2015, 06:42:00 PM »
To be fair, the guy at Iowa State said that every time he touched the ball.