collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 MLB Thread  (Read 117567 times)

jmayer1

• All American
Re: 2013 MLB Thread
« Reply #500 on: October 15, 2013, 09:54:37 AM »
As a Cardinals fan, I don't think there was anything wrong with what he did. Beltran should be mad at himself for not properly backing up the play.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #501 on: October 15, 2013, 10:10:25 AM »
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304106704579136491224643238

"The game would be better off if more players handled success like Puig, or at the very least, felt like they were free to do so. It's supposed to be fun. It's supposed to be entertaining. Somewhere along the line, U.S. baseball players became the most sensitive athletes in all of sports. Clap once after a hit, and they'll tolerate it. Clap twice, and you're showing them up, an offense punishable by a fastball off your leg the next time you come to the plate."

A-Frickin'-MEN!!

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #502 on: October 15, 2013, 10:18:09 AM »

A-Frickin'-MEN!!

If the European Ryder Cup Team and fans can learn to celebrate competition, baseball players should also be able to.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #503 on: October 15, 2013, 10:27:15 AM »

"The game would be better off if more players handled success like Puig, or at the very least, felt like they were free to do so. It's supposed to be fun. It's supposed to be entertaining. Somewhere along the line, U.S. baseball players became the most sensitive athletes in all of sports. Clap once after a hit, and they'll tolerate it. Clap twice, and you're showing them up, an offense punishable by a fastball off your leg the next time you come to the plate."

A-Frickin'-MEN!!

Agree 100%, but wait until the play is over to celebrate.  Don't celebrate when you should be running.  Beltran shouldn't be mad at Puig, his pause at home plate could only help the Cardinals.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #504 on: October 15, 2013, 11:36:17 AM »
Balfour's chirpdown with Victor Martinez woke up his bat.   Big hits, big pitches, big runs are the best revenge. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #505 on: October 15, 2013, 12:25:12 PM »
Balfour's chirpdown with Victor Martinez woke up his bat.   Big hits, big pitches, big runs are the best revenge. 
This collection of videos if fantastic.

Why don't the Cardinals respect the game?
http://deadspin.com/why-dont-the-st-louis-cardinals-respect-the-game-1445679050

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #506 on: October 15, 2013, 03:30:53 PM »

Was it Balfour or Jobu who woke up Victor's bat?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #507 on: October 15, 2013, 08:45:41 PM »
I'm not sure, but it appears it has gone back to sleep. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #508 on: October 16, 2013, 09:22:12 AM »
I'm not sure, but it appears it has gone back to sleep. 

Martinez and Peralta are doing fine.  The rest of the lineup is scuffling.  That Hunter through Peralta (2-6) stretch is terrifying.  The Red Sox offense are bullies, they crush mediocre pitching but only the singles hitters (Ellsbury, Victorino, Pedroia and Nava, who inexpicably is not playing for Gomes) usually do much damage against the top flight pitchers.  And they aren't doing anything, either.  Surprised that Verlander threw the only pitch Napoli can hit with two outs and nobody on. 

I think tonight we may see another 6-5 game instead of another 1-0.  At any rate these games are tense and tremendous.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #509 on: October 16, 2013, 09:28:19 AM »
Hey, I am enjoying the heck out of these games.   Tight, intense.  For the last 6 weeks, Detroit's offense has scuffled.   IMO, it can be traced to Cabrera's injury.    Historically, when the offense has scuffled, he has bailed them out until it turned around.    Right now, he can't carry the team.   Martinez and Peralta are trying, but the other 7 bats right now are just not in a good place.   I am curious if Leyland will move Infante into the leadoff spot and drop Jackson to 8th.    That is about the only move he has right now as there just is not a difference maker coming off of that bench. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #510 on: October 16, 2013, 02:42:38 PM »
http://www.freep.com/article/20131016/SPORTS02/310160148/detroit-tigers-lineup-boston-red-sox

Jackson dropped to 8th.   Everybody slides up one slot.   I think I would have preferred Infante batting leadoff and Jackson batting 8th, but Leyland gets the big bucks. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #511 on: October 17, 2013, 06:41:33 AM »
http://www.freep.com/article/20131016/SPORTS02/310160148/detroit-tigers-lineup-boston-red-sox

Jackson dropped to 8th.   Everybody slides up one slot.   I think I would have preferred Infante batting leadoff and Jackson batting 8th, but Leyland gets the big bucks. 

Everyone will make a big deal about the line-up change, but the Tigers won because Jake Peavy had no control.  First he couldn't throw a strike and then he found the middle of the plate.  After watching so much great pitching in these playoffs  it was jarring to see a guy who totally didn't have it.  Sox bullpen 5 IP, 4 H 0 R.  Pedroia screwed up that double play in the 2nd, which should have kept it to 1-0, but it really didn't matter, since Farrell's MO is to leave the starter in until he has irretrievably screwed up the game or gives up a baserunner or 2 in the 7th or later, whichever comes first.  So if the Red Sox got out of the 2nd, Peavy eventually would have been roughed up because he didn't have anything working last night.  Must win for the Sox tonight.  There is no way Buccholz and Lackey will beat Scherzer and Verlander back to back, even in Boston.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #512 on: October 17, 2013, 09:52:31 AM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #513 on: October 17, 2013, 10:57:09 AM »
Everyone will make a big deal about the line-up change, but the Tigers won because Jake Peavy had no control.  First he couldn't throw a strike and then he found the middle of the plate.  After watching so much great pitching in these playoffs  it was jarring to see a guy who totally didn't have it.  Sox bullpen 5 IP, 4 H 0 R.  Pedroia screwed up that double play in the 2nd, which should have kept it to 1-0, but it really didn't matter, since Farrell's MO is to leave the starter in until he has irretrievably screwed up the game or gives up a baserunner or 2 in the 7th or later, whichever comes first.  So if the Red Sox got out of the 2nd, Peavy eventually would have been roughed up because he didn't have anything working last night.  Must win for the Sox tonight.  There is no way Buccholz and Lackey will beat Scherzer and Verlander back to back, even in Boston.

I agree with everything here.   Peavy wasn't sharp, plus the Tigers have seen him so many times (with the White Sox) that he has nothing to surprise them.   Pedroia's bobble was huge.  And there wasn't a Tiger anywhere that expected anything other than a bullpen meltdown, even up 7-1.    From a Detroit standpoint, tonight is a must win (assuming the game isn't rained out, which is a possibility), because Boston can't be beat twice in a row in Fenway, even with Scherzer and Verlander.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #514 on: October 17, 2013, 01:30:31 PM »
Holy hell.

http://deadspin.com/how-long-can-you-listen-to-this-cardinals-fans-terribl-1447035171

Go Dodgers.

36 seconds.  It would have been 32 if I hadn't hesitate trying to decide whether to stop the video, close my browser or throw my computer out the window.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #515 on: October 18, 2013, 10:34:03 PM »
Doyers done   ;  Doyers fans can put away their car flags they bought 2 months ago around here.

I know the Cards and their fans taking grief, but I thought it was pretty classy to see them give Shumaker a standing ovation.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #516 on: October 20, 2013, 06:40:14 AM »
The Tigers were who I thought they were.    Immensely talented tin men.   Lacking in fundamentals, lacking in heart.    Without Cabrera playing at an insane level, an average team with a phenomenal rotation.    I look for Scherzer to be traded in the offseason, probably for a speedy corner outfielder and a couple of solid relievers.     Fielder will be shopped but there isn't a market for him with that contract.   Re-signing of Infante, Peralta, and V-Mart are the big decisions to be made.   I think only one of the 3 come back, and I think it is V-Mart.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #517 on: October 20, 2013, 08:07:20 AM »
The Tigers were who I thought they were.    Immensely talented tin men.   Lacking in fundamentals, lacking in heart.    Without Cabrera playing at an insane level, an average team with a phenomenal rotation.    I look for Scherzer to be traded in the offseason, probably for a speedy corner outfielder and a couple of solid relievers.     Fielder will be shopped but there isn't a market for him with that contract.   Re-signing of Infante, Peralta, and V-Mart are the big decisions to be made.   I think only one of the 3 come back, and I think it is V-Mart.

Kinda taken back by this. Why would they begin to dismantle with Illitch on his way out?

Scherzer would net a decent haul, still think this season won't be repeated. The Yanks could kick the tires on Fielder if they wanted to move him, but I don't see it. They should definitely move on from Peralta, he's bound to fall off the PED cliff soon.

Was really hoping Detroit would knock off Boston. Instead we have to deal with a completely insufferable World Series.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #518 on: October 20, 2013, 09:29:58 AM »
BTW, kudos to the Red Sox.   They played better, more fundamentally sound baseball and deserved to win. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #519 on: October 20, 2013, 09:35:27 AM »
Kinda taken back by this. Why would they begin to dismantle with Illitch on his way out?

Scherzer would net a decent haul, still think this season won't be repeated. The Yanks could kick the tires on Fielder if they wanted to move him, but I don't see it. They should definitely move on from Peralta, he's bound to fall off the PED cliff soon.

Was really hoping Detroit would knock off Boston. Instead we have to deal with a completely insufferable World Series.

Detroit has been right there for the last 3 years and has been unable to get over the hump.   An overall lack of team speed, an erratic bullpen, and a lack of fundamentally sound grinders have been their weaknesses.   There really aren't any major impact position players in their farm system who are ready.   Castellanos was touted as ready, but he stunk it up in a September call up.    So, how to add the right pieces and the right chemistry?    Scherzer is the logical big piece because he will be in the final year of his contract, has Boras as his agent, and the Tigers are already paying huge bucks to Cabrera, Fielder, Verlander, and Sanchez.    Smyly is ready to step in and be an effective major league starter.   A rotation of Verlander, Sanchez, Fister, Porcello, Smyly is very good.    Pick up a speedy leftfielder and two good relievers for Max.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #520 on: October 21, 2013, 07:02:55 AM »
The Tigers have got to be a frustrating team to root for.  Everyone picks on Fielder for that game-turning DP, and rightly so, but worse was Victor Martinez first not reaching second on his bases loaded hit (I've seen that ball off the wall in that spot a million times over the last 45 years and that's a standing double 100% of the time, even with catchers or David Ortiz running) and then running right into Pedroia so he didn't have to throw to second to get the out and allowing Fielder to get doubled. 

Red Sox got a huge break in the bottom of the 7th, as that 3-2 pitch to Bogaerts could easily have been called a strike, which probably would have led to Leyland keeping Scherzer in the game. 

Going into that series, I thought, "Seems like every guy on that team (except Avila) is hitting close to .300, they have 3 of the best 5/6 starters in the AL and a very good 4th starter, how did they only win 93 games playing in the AL Central?" Then you watch them play and you can see how.   They are glacially slow, poor baserunners and poor defenders.  Even with all that, a healthy Cabrera and that could have been a completely different series.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #521 on: October 21, 2013, 07:30:24 AM »
The Tigers have got to be a frustrating team to root for.  Everyone picks on Fielder for that game-turning DP, and rightly so, but worse was Victor Martinez first not reaching second on his bases loaded hit (I've seen that ball off the wall in that spot a million times over the last 45 years and that's a standing double 100% of the time, even with catchers or David Ortiz running) and then running right into Pedroia so he didn't have to throw to second to get the out and allowing Fielder to get doubled. 

Red Sox got a huge break in the bottom of the 7th, as that 3-2 pitch to Bogaerts could easily have been called a strike, which probably would have led to Leyland keeping Scherzer in the game. 

Going into that series, I thought, "Seems like every guy on that team (except Avila) is hitting close to .300, they have 3 of the best 5/6 starters in the AL and a very good 4th starter, how did they only win 93 games playing in the AL Central?" Then you watch them play and you can see how.   They are glacially slow, poor baserunners and poor defenders.  Even with all that, a healthy Cabrera and that could have been a completely different series.

That play was more on Fielder. He needed to put his head down and go home. If he does that, Pedroia's throwing home and, at best, getting only one out.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #522 on: October 21, 2013, 09:49:18 AM »
Leland is retiring and I've heard from some of my friends back in Detroit that Dombrowski is going to put his name in for the commish job. I have no idea if he'll get it, but that would be a huge blow.
Bring back FFP!!!

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #523 on: October 21, 2013, 09:53:47 AM »
That play was more on Fielder. He needed to put his head down and go home. If he does that, Pedroia's throwing home and, at best, getting only one out.

Agree that the play was more on Fielder.  My syntax wasn't the greatest, but what I meant was that Martinez not getting a double in the first place was a bigger screw up and he had a hand in the DP as well.  If he is hustling out of the batter's box he jogs in with a stand-up double.  I could not believe he wasn't standing on second when that play finished. He played for the Red Sox for a season plus so he should know the park.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #524 on: October 21, 2013, 10:00:05 AM »
Interesting for Leyland to Commish job... not sure how well that would work out.

As a Tigers fan I say come on down, Kirk Gibson!
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

feedback