collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 MLB Thread  (Read 117510 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: 2013 MLB Thread
« Reply #300 on: August 22, 2013, 07:13:45 PM »
Wow. what a douche.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9592788/ryan-braun-milwaukee-brewers-apologizes-ped-use

Braun released a statement.  He was using in 2011 to get over a nagging injury, and he's very sorry.

Nothing else to see here, everything can go back to normal now.

http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/2013/08/22/braun-issues-statement/

Obviously Braun is as big of a douche as they come. There is no denying that. But this statement is not testament to that fact. Everyone was screaming for him to apologize to the sample collector (who deserves blame for not doing his job the way he was supposed to, but obviously not for the failed drug test), to admit his use, to explain his use, and to accept responsibility. He did exactly all of those things. But now it's further proof that he's a douche?

The fact that he lobbied for support, lied to everyone, disappeared for the last month and left everyone else out to hang and answer questions for him, denied his involvement, blamed others, etc. show he's a complete douche. This statement, the words he said? Well done, did exactly what he needed to do.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #301 on: August 22, 2013, 07:29:43 PM »
As apologies go .. that wasn't bad.  I don't see a lot of word parsing or blame.  Just, I did it, I was wrong, I screwed people over and I shouldn't have, and I'm sorry.  Not sure what else he could have said to make it a better statement.

The only thing that piqued my interest was the concept that the substances were to heal an injury.  There's a spectrum of PED usage .. on one end is "I wanna be a big ogre, swatting home runs" .. on the other would be "I want to heal from an injury quicker."  One is massive cheating, the other .. hmm.

Assuming, of course, that Braun is telling the truth there.

He's not telling the truth. He's been using PEDs to gain a competitive advantage since his days at The U with ARod coming back in the offseasons. I have no proof but apparently MLB had proof (and was ready to release it) of his use throughout his professional career, which is why he suddenly went from denying it to all of a sudden striking a deal for a 65 game suspension.

Apparently the specific incident in which he failed a drug test went something along the lines of:
  • Human beings have a 1:1 testosterone:epitestosterone ratio
  • Anything that is at or below a 3:1 ratio will pass MLB's drug testing
  • A HUGE number of professional baseball players remain on a cycle (take PEDs on a schedule) that keeps them at right around a 3:1 ratio (but never above), and thus they do not fail their drug tests (but still increases their testosterone level by up to 200%, a huge advantage)
  • Braun had done this throughout his career
  • Whatever PEDs Braun was taking, they were in a gummie form and they disolve under your tongue (absorbed into the body the quickest way possible)
  • When the Brewers made it to the Playoffs in 2011 Braun said "eff it, there's no way I'm getting tested so I'm just going to get my nut in the Playoffs"
  • Braun went nuts on the PEDs, raising his T:ET ratio to 20:1, and continued to hit .500 in the 5 game win over the Diamondbacks in the 1st round of that Playoffs
  • When the collector came into the clubhouse and Braun was notified that he would have a drug test, he was beyond livid

Or so the story goes.  Who really knows?  But, in my opinion, he's been using PEDs throughout his career, and the cycle (which isn't a new concept) kept him from failing previous drug tests throughout his career (originally I thought Braun roided with ARod when Braun was in college and ARod was in the pros and going back to Miami in the winters, and I was beyond surprised when Braun actually failed a drug test thinking that the newer generation of star players cannot be stupid enough to take PEDs to the point of getting caught...turns out I was wrong).  Just like many baseball players do now.  Braun was an idiot and let his greed get the best of him, thinking he'd shine the brightest on the biggest stage.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 07:35:25 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #302 on: August 22, 2013, 07:30:41 PM »
"Here is what happened. During the latter part of the 2011 season, I was dealing with a nagging injury and I turned to products for a short period of time that I shouldn’t have used."

That's the part I have a problem with.  Even if it's 100% true, thinking that the average fan is naive enough to let him play the "I only used once.. it was just to get through an injury" card after his Spring Training press conference makes him look like a douche, IMHO.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #303 on: August 22, 2013, 08:09:03 PM »
"Here is what happened. During the latter part of the 2011 season, I was dealing with a nagging injury and I turned to products for a short period of time that I shouldn’t have used."

That's the part I have a problem with.  Even if it's 100% true, thinking that the average fan is naive enough to let him play the "I only used once.. it was just to get through an injury" card after his Spring Training press conference makes him look like a douche, IMHO.

Yeah, I don't know how anyone can take what he says with a straight face.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #304 on: August 22, 2013, 08:12:56 PM »
As apologies go .. that wasn't bad.  I don't see a lot of word parsing or blame.  Just, I did it, I was wrong, I screwed people over and I shouldn't have, and I'm sorry.   Not sure what else he could have said to make it a better statement.

The only thing that piqued my interest was the concept that the substances were to heal an injury.   There's a spectrum of PED usage .. on one end is "I wanna be a big ogre, swatting home runs" .. on the other would be "I want to heal from an injury quicker."  One is massive cheating, the other .. hmm.

Assuming, of course, that Braun is telling the truth there.

I remember the specific leg injury he was dealing with late in 2011, if it is the same injury he is referencing. He was on a 22 game hit streak when he hurt his calf, missed like 10 games. That is the only significant amount of time he missed in 2011. Not sure if that was the same injury, though.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #305 on: August 22, 2013, 08:14:08 PM »
Sosa was a douche and a crummy teammate - similar to ARod. But this guy Braun, with his "the sample collector's an anti-semetic Cub fan defense takes the cake as lamest cheater ever.

Tulowitzki and Votto have both stated Braun didn't lobby them for support, and that the anti-Semitic thing was made up.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #306 on: August 22, 2013, 08:33:06 PM »

That's the part I have a problem with.  Even if it's 100% true, thinking that the average fan is naive enough to let him play the "I only used once.. it was just to get through an injury" card after his Spring Training press conference makes him look like a douche, IMHO.

Exactly.  This explanation was a logical explanation that fans really believed at the time; he did have nagging injuries at that time, it was the last go with Fielder and possibly the best shot he'd ever have to make a deep playoff run.  Say that when he was caught and it's accepted, and if not forgiven at least digested.  After the spring training thing, turning up in the BioGenesis records later, and tripping over lies for a year and a half...nobody will believe anything he says now, nor should they.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #307 on: August 22, 2013, 08:43:23 PM »
I just heard that some guy (ex friend) is suing Braun. Lots of crap in the suit I don't care about, but one interesting allegation is that Ryan has been using PEDs since high school. If true, his entire career could be a fraud.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #308 on: August 22, 2013, 08:59:44 PM »
I just heard that some guy (ex friend) is suing Braun. Lots of crap in the suit I don't care about, but one interesting allegation is that Ryan has been using PEDs since high school. If true, his entire career could be a fraud.

And what's his punishment? Essentially nothing. Miss a few games and a few dollars. A slap on the wrist. If any normal guy was caught lying, cheating, etc at his job he'd be fired and possibly sued or jailed. Guys like braun? Nothing. What a unnatural carnal knowledgeed up world we live in.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #309 on: August 22, 2013, 09:10:51 PM »

That suit is going nowhere.  In fact it may actually come back to haunt the guy who filed it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #310 on: August 22, 2013, 09:13:28 PM »

That suit is going nowhere.  In fact it may actually come back to haunt the guy who filed it.

Especially considering I believe the guy is representing himself.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #311 on: August 22, 2013, 09:22:26 PM »
Braun (and he ain't alone) is a fraud.  The apology isn't terrible, but it includes more lies.  And, while the apology isn't a testament to his douchieness (it was the right thing to do and not badly done), it is an admission by him that he is a douche.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #312 on: August 22, 2013, 09:45:13 PM »
He really uck-fayed the Brewer organization in a big way. Love to see Attanasio bite the big one and trade his fraudulent ass. That would be makin' a statement
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 09:52:57 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brandx

« Reply #313 on: August 22, 2013, 10:09:43 PM »
He's obviously a d-bag for lying and I think all off us have totally lost any respect we had for him. But....

the whole drug thing astounds me. We are a society that is based on drugs every day and in every way. Turn on the TV and you'll see adds PUSHING drugs. The ads don't even say what they are for. Just "ask your doctor for some". US has 5% of world's population and consumes 75% of world's painkillers.

Where do kids get drugs - from the medicine cabinets of the adults who are appalled by Ryan Braun's actions (their parents). And I haven't even mentioned anti-depressants- usage is up over 400% in last 20 years.

Close to 50% of the population in the 40 - 60 age range need drugs or alcohol to get thru the day - but they function at their job everyday.

We allow players to be surgically enhanced to play - ripping a tendon from one part of the body to use elsewhere - but not medicinally enhanced.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #314 on: August 22, 2013, 10:14:31 PM »
He's obviously a d-bag for lying and I think all off us have totally lost any respect we had for him. But....

the whole drug thing astounds me. We are a society that is based on drugs every day and in every way. Turn on the TV and you'll see adds PUSHING drugs. The ads don't even say what they are for. Just "ask your doctor for some". US has 5% of world's population and consumes 75% of world's painkillers.

Where do kids get drugs - from the medicine cabinets of the adults who are appalled by Ryan Braun's actions (their parents). And I haven't even mentioned anti-depressants- usage is up over 400% in last 20 years.

Close to 50% of the population in the 40 - 60 age range need drugs or alcohol to get thru the day - but they function at their job everyday.

We allow players to be surgically enhanced to play - ripping a tendon from one part of the body to use elsewhere - but not medicinally enhanced.

This is beyond a reach. Totally different situations.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #315 on: August 23, 2013, 07:21:43 AM »
And what's his punishment? Essentially nothing. Miss a few games and a few dollars. A slap on the wrist. If any normal guy was caught lying, cheating, etc at his job he'd be fired and possibly sued or jailed. Guys like braun? Nothing. What a unnatural carnal knowledgeed up world we live in.

First time offender got more than the 50 game norm.  A few games?  A few dollars?

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #316 on: August 23, 2013, 07:30:03 AM »
First time offender got more than the 50 game norm.  A few games?  A few dollars?

First time offender??? Hahahahhahahahhahahahahahanahahahahhahajahahahahahhhahahahahahhahahahahhahha

Good one, bro.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #317 on: August 23, 2013, 07:37:42 AM »
First time offender??? Hahahahhahahahhahahahahahanahahahahhahajahahahahahhhahahahahahhahahahahhahha

Good one, bro.

Well to be honest it was a single/first offense as far as we know at this time. But he does sound like the classic kid getting caught smoking dope that tells his parents "it was my 1st time"
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:39:27 AM by Red Stripe »

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #318 on: August 23, 2013, 08:15:04 AM »
Well to be honest it was a single/first offense as far as we know at this time. But he does sound like the classic kid getting caught smoking dope that tells his parents "it was my 1st time"

I know you are agreeing to a point, but stop the "as far as we know."  That guy is a cheater, and has been his whole career.  And what does single:first time mean?   He used them once, or for "one cycle"?   Please. He has used for years, cycling on and off (along with hundreds of others most of whom have not been caught).  Let's stop pretending.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #319 on: August 23, 2013, 08:21:51 AM »
Braun (and he ain't alone) is a fraud.  The apology isn't terrible, but it includes more lies.  And, while the apology isn't a testament to his douchieness (it was the right thing to do and not badly done), it is an admission by him that he is a douche.

I simply don't understand the excuse-making.  Just say...

-I made mistakes in the past by using PEDs (no need to be specific)
-I apologize for lying, in particular to Laurenzi
-I will try to do better in the future

Boom.  That's it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #320 on: August 23, 2013, 08:47:58 AM »
Yes a few dollars. Compared to what his contract is? I may have used a bit of hyperbole, but to him, it's "a few dollars." Again, compared to the rest of us and what would happen to us if we were caught cheating/lying at school, on the job, etc. it is just a slap on the wrist. There are no real long term ramifications for him.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #321 on: August 23, 2013, 08:58:08 AM »
He's not telling the truth. He's been using PEDs to gain a competitive advantage since his days at The U with ARod coming back in the offseasons. I have no proof but apparently MLB had proof (and was ready to release it) of his use throughout his professional career, which is why he suddenly went from denying it to all of a sudden striking a deal for a 65 game suspension.

Apparently the specific incident in which he failed a drug test went something along the lines of:
  • Human beings have a 1:1 testosterone:epitestosterone ratio
  • Anything that is at or below a 3:1 ratio will pass MLB's drug testing
  • A HUGE number of professional baseball players remain on a cycle (take PEDs on a schedule) that keeps them at right around a 3:1 ratio (but never above), and thus they do not fail their drug tests (but still increases their testosterone level by up to 200%, a huge advantage)
  • Braun had done this throughout his career
  • Whatever PEDs Braun was taking, they were in a gummie form and they disolve under your tongue (absorbed into the body the quickest way possible)
  • When the Brewers made it to the Playoffs in 2011 Braun said "eff it, there's no way I'm getting tested so I'm just going to get my nut in the Playoffs"
  • Braun went nuts on the PEDs, raising his T:ET ratio to 20:1, and continued to hit .500 in the 5 game win over the Diamondbacks in the 1st round of that Playoffs
  • When the collector came into the clubhouse and Braun was notified that he would have a drug test, he was beyond livid

Or so the story goes.  Who really knows?  But, in my opinion, he's been using PEDs throughout his career, and the cycle (which isn't a new concept) kept him from failing previous drug tests throughout his career (originally I thought Braun roided with ARod when Braun was in college and ARod was in the pros and going back to Miami in the winters, and I was beyond surprised when Braun actually failed a drug test thinking that the newer generation of star players cannot be stupid enough to take PEDs to the point of getting caught...turns out I was wrong).  Just like many baseball players do now.  Braun was an idiot and let his greed get the best of him, thinking he'd shine the brightest on the biggest stage.

So, you think MLB has proof he has used PEDs throughout his entire career, knowing this, Braun releases a statement saying it was only once.  We all know MLB never leaks anything at all, but if you were right, his drug test results from the past 10 years would magically appear in Jeff Passans email box.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #322 on: August 23, 2013, 08:59:55 AM »

Frankly, that's the only part of the "apology" that I believe is sincere.    But I don't construe that as the "hey, I only did it once and I got caught" card.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #323 on: August 23, 2013, 09:24:05 AM »
What is your stance on Sammy Soser (can't remember who pronounced it that way)?

As a Cubs fan, Sammy Sosa was very entertaining to watch both at the plate and in the field (for different reasons) but he was a cheater. Admittedly, I was caught up in the 1998 Sammy hype as a naive 17-year-old, but even then I knew that something just wasn't right about his transformation and subsequent production. The guy went from being Lee May to being Willie Mays seemingly in one offseason.

As a whole, I have fond memories of watching Sosa play, but I look at it similarly to having fond memories playing in a Nintendo RBI Baseball "league" with my friends - it was fun and entertaining but it wasn't real.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #324 on: August 23, 2013, 09:52:32 AM »
As a Cubs fan, Sammy Sosa was very entertaining to watch both at the plate and in the field (for different reasons) but he was a cheater. Admittedly, I was caught up in the 1998 Sammy hype as a naive 17-year-old, but even then I knew that something just wasn't right about his transformation and subsequent production. The guy went from being Lee May to being Willie Mays seemingly in one offseason.

As a whole, I have fond memories of watching Sosa play, but I look at it similarly to having fond memories playing in a Nintendo RBI Baseball "league" with my friends - it was fun and entertaining but it wasn't real.

It's going to be interesting see the fallout when Sosa (and others) are banned from Cooperstown without ever testing positive for steroids.

feedback