collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 MLB Thread  (Read 117528 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: 2013 MLB Thread
« Reply #200 on: July 05, 2013, 01:35:19 PM »
That's why you need to go with throwbacks. They never become outdated. Stay away from the big name/HOFers though. An old school California Angels Jim Abbott, Bobby Grich or Mark Langston jersey would suffice.

;)

Grich was at the game last night...he has really aged.  Langston still looks good, doing color commentary on the radio the last two years.  Abbot is great..first class human being.  I have a Nolan Ryan Cal Angels jersey in my office.  Still kills me about the naming, but Arte is a businessman and I can tell you first hand when I worked for the Anaheim Angels it was a tougher sell to advertisers, etc.  Too many people out there don't get what "Anaheim" is and it sounds smallish in their minds.  I get why he changed it, even though it sounds ridiculous.  
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 01:38:15 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #201 on: July 05, 2013, 01:40:40 PM »
We sport the jerseys here, what can I say.  Hard to go to a hockey game these days without a jersey and the same deal here in So. Cal for baseball.  Not sure how it is in Chicago.  I do here you, however.  I used to hate it, but it kind of grew on me to be honest.

No, mom is definitely not a runner anymore.  She has her share of health issues that prevent that.  She's active, but in a slow, methodical way.  Elevating her heart rate has led to a few trips to the hospital in the last few years so she stays within herself.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #202 on: July 05, 2013, 02:25:25 PM »
We sport the jerseys here, what can I say.  Hard to go to a hockey game these days without a jersey and the same deal here in So. Cal for baseball.  Not sure how it is in Chicago.  I do here you, however.  I used to hate it, but it kind of grew on me to be honest.

No, mom is definitely not a runner anymore.  She has her share of health issues that prevent that.  She's active, but in a slow, methodical way.  Elevating her heart rate has led to a few trips to the hospital in the last few years so she stays within herself.

At hockey games in Chicago "sweaters" are the rule, not the exception. Common but not "required" at other sporting events. My boys wear them, my girls don't yet though it wouldn't surprise me in the future. I would feel foolish (at least initially) but I'm sure I'd get over it.

Sorry about your Mom's health issues - she looks very fit, which makes dealing with them easier.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: MU on 2014 #10 overall Myles Turner's long, long list of finalists
« Reply #203 on: July 05, 2013, 02:42:04 PM »
A few hours with Mike is pretty awesome.  He comes across as very measured and reserved on television, but he can spin a yarn of baseball stories.  It's pretty awesome.  Here is Chico's mom and him on the field last year as I surprised her when she flew in and we went to a game.  She hadn't seen him or Anne (his wife) in about 5 years.  He's a delight.  Went to the game last night....a ton of fun and great 9th inning.  Go Halos (tough season, hope to get it going)

Say, how can that be Chico's mom?? That's Hoopaloop's mother!

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #204 on: July 05, 2013, 05:19:44 PM »
Spare crowd, hey? If Mother Chicos can play first base, the Brewers could use some help there.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 05:23:56 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #205 on: July 05, 2013, 06:25:57 PM »
Spare crowd, hey? If Mother Chicos can play first base, the Brewers could use some help there.

Actually, she looks like a pretty tough gal. I'll bet she can still play some ball.

And if you notice, Scioscia is listening to her every word. She has the man's attention.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #206 on: July 06, 2013, 12:37:53 AM »
Actually, she looks like a pretty tough gal. I'll bet she can still play some ball.

And if you notice, Scioscia is listening to her every word. She has the man's attention.

So. Cal teacher of the year in the 1990's and repeated that in Colorado.  40 years as a Catholic school teacher...Mike's a good Catholic, he knows when to listen to the teacher.   :)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #207 on: July 06, 2013, 12:38:36 AM »

Sorry about your Mom's health issues - she looks very fit, which makes dealing with them easier.

She's doing fine...thank you.  As long she doesn't exert herself too much, she's good.  Appreciate the warm thoughts.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #208 on: July 06, 2013, 12:57:10 AM »
;D  Yeah, I need to get her a new one this year... Torii one of our all-time favorites.  Hell, my wife wore her Adam Kennedy jersey last night and my daughter her Vlad Guerrero jersey.   Looks like I need to get them all some new duds. 

We still love Torii in Minnesota. Can't believe he's almost 38. The power seems to be dwindling, but at least he's hitting for average and knocking doubles around (albeit for the kitties).

Still have the first ball I got at a California game. Foul ball, pitch from Donnie Moore :/
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #209 on: July 06, 2013, 01:12:00 AM »
Still have the first ball I got at a California game. Foul ball, pitch from Donnie Moore :/

Donnie Moore. If memory serves he was a murder-suicide. Shot his wife then himself. He is the biggest goat in Halos' history. Moore came in for the Angels against the Red Sox with an opportunity to close out the game to win the pennant. The Angels were 1 strike away when Moore gave up a dinger to Hendu and the Sox went on to lose to the Mets (the Buckner Series.)

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #210 on: July 06, 2013, 07:28:26 PM »
We still love Torii in Minnesota. Can't believe he's almost 38. The power seems to be dwindling, but at least he's hitting for average and knocking doubles around (albeit for the kitties).

His enthusiasm is infectious.  A great, great leader.  Solid ball player, defensive whiz with an arm to knock your socks off.  One of the best smiles I have ever seen.  Miss him.  Class act.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #211 on: July 06, 2013, 07:42:50 PM »
Donnie Moore. If memory serves he was a murder-suicide. Shot his wife then himself. He is the biggest goat in Halos' history. Moore came in for the Angels against the Red Sox with an opportunity to close out the game to win the pennant. The Angels were 1 strike away when Moore gave up a dinger to Hendu and the Sox went on to lose to the Mets (the Buckner Series.)

Correct, though what most people forget is the Halos actually tied the game in the bottom of the 9th.  People also forget it was 5-2 going into the 9th inning that day.  Witt gave up a 2 run homer with 1 out to make it 5-4.  With 2 outs in the 9th, Gene Mauch lifted Witt for Lucas who hit catcher Rich Gedman in the arm.  It was the first hit batter for Lucas in 4 years.  Then Moore gave up the 2 run homer to Henderson.  4 runs given up in the top of the 9th. In the bottom of the 9th, not only did the Halos tie it up, but they also loaded the bases with one out.  They couldn't get in the 2nd run.

He took his life for other reasons.....people forget all that happened in that game and he was hardly the goat, but that's what people made him out to be.

That was the Angels way, we never won anything.  In 2002 when we won it all, it was unbelievable.  We had never even won a series before that in the playoffs.  I was at games 6 and 7 of the WS as well as games for the Yankees and Twins playoffs.  Grown men crying and hugging....it was one of those times you just had to be there because we always lost even when we were good.  Game 6 is still the most important sporting event I went to in my life and I've had the privilege of going to Final Fours, Super Bowls, World Series, Stanley Cup Finals, Olympics, World Cup, etc...game 6 from the 7th inning on I will never forget....I had a vested interest which is a big reason, but I've also never been in a stadium where the stadium shook to such extremes it felt like it would collapse.  It was insane trailing 5-0 in the 7th and to rally and win that game 6-5 and force a game 7 (which the Halos won) still gives me goosebumps many years later.  I'll take it to my grave...that and the Final Four win against Kentucky and a few others have been the pinnacle for me.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #212 on: July 08, 2013, 06:42:10 PM »

As a Sox fan, my team has been beaten single handedly by Hunter more than anyone else.  Most Sox fans I know (myself included) love the guy and were bummed out when the Angels stole him from Kenny's grasp.  Great player, plays hard, plays the right way, plays tough.  Just a great player. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #213 on: July 08, 2013, 06:44:58 PM »
AAA, as far as the Sox system, is not usually stacked.   They are mostly guys who are not going to make it and it is pretty much the same in most organIzations.  AA are where the studs are at especially in the Soxes system.

Josh Phegley has been promoted and already looks better than the mess the team has had at catcher this season.  Erik Johnson has been stellar since his promotion to Charlotte.  He may be the next starter called up in case of injury or trade.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #214 on: July 11, 2013, 03:41:33 PM »
Leyland/Tigers being punks again.  Barely glanced over fat boy's shoulder.

Hey, I figured it out...pat on the back.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 03:46:58 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #215 on: July 11, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »

And before you doubt me.......look at Sale's face after the pitch and where the catcher's glove is.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 04:25:05 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #216 on: July 11, 2013, 03:48:53 PM »

Hopefully Ramirez doesn't have to spend any time on the DL after taking a fastball to the shadow.  ::)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #217 on: July 11, 2013, 03:49:04 PM »

Another reason why it will be so great if Detroit fails to win the WS again.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #218 on: July 11, 2013, 04:18:32 PM »
I can't watch the game here but was wondering what score/inning/circumstances when fat boy was supposedly thrown at?

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #219 on: July 11, 2013, 04:26:05 PM »
Hopefully Ramirez doesn't have to spend any time on the DL after taking a fastball to the shadow.  ::)

He threw at him and missed completely behind him so what it your point?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #220 on: July 11, 2013, 04:49:19 PM »
Cabrera hit a home run, the next pitch buzzed Fielder under his chins.    I'm glad Pitkonen (sp?) threw behind the batter, I'm glad Leyland raised hell.   At least it showed a little passion.   Getting tired of pitchers throwing at Cabrera and Fielder.   And so is Leyland.  I have been watching the Tigers for 40 years and I have never seen so many pitches buzzing the tower.   And this is the first year I have ever seen the Tigers pitchers retaliating. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #221 on: July 11, 2013, 04:54:55 PM »
Cabrera hit a home run, the next pitch buzzed Fielder under his chins.    I'm glad Pitkonen (sp?) threw behind the batter, I'm glad Leyland raised hell.   At least it showed a little passion.   Getting tired of pitchers throwing at Cabrera and Fielder.   And so is Leyland.  I have been watching the Tigers for 40 years and I have never seen so many pitches buzzing the tower.   And this is the first year I have ever seen the Tigers pitchers retaliating. 

Believe me Sale does not throw at batters.  I know it for a fact.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #222 on: July 11, 2013, 05:01:17 PM »
And Putkonen clearly throws behind batters, not at them, so what's the big deal?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #223 on: July 11, 2013, 05:49:30 PM »
Sale probably threw at Fielder, it was right after a Cabrera home run.  Putkonen threw behind Alexei soon after Phegley hit his slam.  I don't think it is a big deal in any regard.  That is just baseball no one got hit, not one got hurt.  Personally I think Sale's pitch was a bit too high if it was a message pitch. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #224 on: July 11, 2013, 05:50:26 PM »

The reason Leyland thew a fit is because his pitcher was ejected and Ramirez was not. 

feedback