[Today at 05:11:05 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by brewcity77
[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Symir - Walking Boot  (Read 9102 times)

mubb3434

• Team Captain
Symir - Walking Boot
« on: December 10, 2020, 11:21:14 PM »
Marquette posted a picture of the team on social media and it appears Symir is in a walking boot...Any insights?

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Re: Symir - Walking Boot
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 12:42:22 AM »
This means he is officially a Golden Eagle!
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 12:59:22 AM »
Marquette posted a picture of the team on social media and it appears Symir is in a walking boot...Any insights?

Don't know, but here's the picture for everyone:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIpSgNbBnKP/

I don't know how accurate this is, but Marquette didn't post Sy on the injury report in this document:

https://gomarquette.com/documents/2020/12/10/Game_6_Marquette_at_UCLA.pdf
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 06:12:52 AM »
Don't know, but here's the picture for everyone:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIpSgNbBnKP/

I don't know how accurate this is, but Marquette didn't post Sy on the injury report in this document:

https://gomarquette.com/documents/2020/12/10/Game_6_Marquette_at_UCLA.pdf
It looks like a coach is in the boot

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 06:52:44 AM »
Even families can't go to the games? Bummer for Dex and Brendan in LA.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 08:51:43 AM »
Symir has been really disappointing for me so far this season.  SSS for sure, but doesn't look like a guy that is going to help against HM teams this season. The shot is gross, and way too much dribbling around when he gets the ball.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 09:16:09 AM »
Symir has been really disappointing for me so far this season.  SSS for sure, but doesn't look like a guy that is going to help against HM teams this season. The shot is gross, and way too much dribbling around when he gets the ball.

I'm not too worried about his shot. His form is weird and he doesn't get enough lift which limits him to set shot. But his 3P shooting in HS was good and he was capable last year. I doubt he would have put up 14 threes in 5 games if the staff wasn't confident he'd hit the shots at a reasonable clip.

He isn't super quick so he needs to start hitting that shot soon to open up penetration. He's a great passer but hasn't had any opportunities to use that skill and won't until he starts making some shots.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 09:22:44 AM »
A point guard who can't shoot is a relic of a bygone basketball era.  That said, I think Symir will be a decent PG when all is said and done.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 09:51:29 AM »
At Jimmy Johns?

Viper

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 10:30:31 AM »
Wojo was a HS all-American at guard and 4-yr starter at Duke, hence I’d trust his judgement on guards. Hopefully Symir will improve, because I do agree that I thought he might be a little stronger at this point. A distributor, set-up the bigs first and/or dish to the wing is great. But be decisive!

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 10:34:51 AM »
Wojo was a HS all-American at guard and 4-yr starter at Duke, hence I’d trust his judgement on guards.

Traci Carter...Joe Chartouny....he's missed on guards before.  Symir is better than those two though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020, 10:47:30 AM »

Traci Carter...Joe Chartouny....he's missed on guards before.  Symir is better than those two though.

Based on what?

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 10:54:38 AM »
Based on what?

Statistically, Symir's freshman year was marginally better than Traci's.  Granted Traci played a lot more minutes, but that was mostly out of necessity. 

Chartouny's grad transfer year MAY have been better.  But not by much.

We will see how the rest of this year pans out.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2020, 11:04:15 AM »
Based on what?

Traci shot 31% from 3 and had a TO% of 29%.  Chartouny's TO% more than doubled from his last year at Fordham to his one year at MU, while his assist % was also a career low.  Sy's "struggles" this year so far have been a 9% drop in TO%, a 1% drop in assist% with a 5% increase in usage.  He hasn't found his shooting stroke yet, but I don't think the staff is too concerned about that yet with only 19 FGA on the season.  I quoted my "freshman chart" from the giving Sy love thread last year and I'll do so again.

1.) Freshman comes in with little to no expectations.
2.) Freshman shows flashes in limited minutes while not even appearing on oppositions scouting report.
3.) Board falls in love with Freshman.
4.) Expectations get raised for the now/soon-to-be Sophomore
5.) Player doesn't develop at the pace that many want, partially because of raised expectations, partially because of appearance on scouting report.
6.) Board falls out of love with player.
7/1.) New Freshman comes in with little to no expectation.

Let's either temper expectation and be pleasantly surprised, or not dismiss him if he can't immediately live up to the upcoming raised expectations.

We're expecting more from Sy this year, just because he hasn't delivered up to our arbitray standards during the first 5 games of the season, does not mean that we should be dismissing him, yet there will always be posts like this.

Wondering if Stevie Mitchell has what it takes to beat him out next year. Frankly, I hope so. But I also hope Sy proves me wrong.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/traci-carter-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/joseph-chartouny-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/symir-torrence-1.html

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2020, 11:08:26 AM »

Statistically, Symir's freshman year was marginally better than Traci's.  Granted Traci played a lot more minutes, but that was mostly out of necessity. 

Chartouny's grad transfer year MAY have been better.  But not by much.

We will see how the rest of this year pans out.

Chart will always have Creighton

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2020, 11:11:02 AM »
We're expecting more from Sy this year, just because he hasn't delivered up to our arbitray standards during the first 5 games of the season, does not mean that we should be dismissing him, yet there will always be posts like this.

This is almost always the case when it comes to this stuff.  Just because we THINK a player is going to be better than he is, that doesn't mean he is bad or hasn't improved.  And yeah...its been five games.

People need to place their expectations in context.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2020, 11:30:37 AM »

Agree with you. Expected Symir to be more dominant passing, scoring and leading the team. He stood around flat footed clueless during the Oklahoma State game. Carton was a breath of fresh air replacing Torrence against Wisconsin. I haven't given up on him but he definitely has to step up his game or he'll side down further on the pines.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2020, 11:34:37 AM »
Symir has kind of been what I expected this year.  I just frankly don't think he's that good.  He seems like an awesome guy who teammates love, which is valuable.  But I don't see what he brings to the table that is Big East level.  Shooting?  Nope.  Quickness/athleticism/strength?  I wouldn't say any of those are liabilities for him, but I don't think they're strengths either.  Defensive ability?  Nope.  Dribble drive?  Nope.  Passing?  I mean, I guess?  But he doesn't really get the team into any sort of offense until there's like 10 seconds on the shot clock because he's not confident enough to dribble into his defender and get the offense moving, so it doesn't really help.  I honestly feel better when he's playing off the ball because even though he isn't even remotely a threat to score the ball, at least the ball gets in and out of his hands quickly and keeps moving vs. him standing with his back to the basket 30 feet away as the shot clock is winding down.

Honestly, he's Derrick Wilson without Derrick's defensive ability.  And Derrick was a freaking hound on defense.

The good news is he has the option to be around for another 3.5 years and players can improve.  But to me, he has a LONG way to go if he's going to be a major contributor while playing for a good Marquette team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2020, 11:43:51 AM »
I think he was clearly better than Derrick last year. This year so far, not so much.

Anyone know why he was so highly rated in HS? Was it his O game? His D? His distribution?
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2020, 11:47:18 AM »
I think he was clearly better than Derrick last year. This year so far, not so much.

Anyone know why he was so highly rated in HS? Was it his O game? His D? His distribution?

Here's Jerry Meyer's scouting report:

PROJECTION UFA

COMPARISON Jerel McNeal PHOENIX SUNS

Good physique for a point guard, and he can also play shooting guard. A physical slasher who passes well off the dribble. Loves to set players up but is a quality scorer as well. Quality rebounder as a guard who can defend at a high level and defend multiple positions. Plays with an edge and competes.Could develop into an NBA player.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2020, 12:52:48 PM »

PROJECTION UFA

Good physique for a point guard, and he can also play shooting guard. A physical slasher who passes well off the dribble. Loves to set players up but is a quality scorer as well. Quality rebounder as a guard who can defend at a high level and defend multiple positions. Plays with an edge and competes.Could develop into an NBA player.

I would like to get this guy. Hope we do!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2020, 12:55:34 PM »

PROJECTION UFA

One comparison? Hasn't he heard of the blender?
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2020, 01:09:56 PM »
Wojo was a HS all-American at guard and 4-yr starter at Duke, hence I’d trust his judgement on guards. Hopefully Symir will improve, because I do agree that I thought he might be a little stronger at this point. A distributor, set-up the bigs first and/or dish to the wing is great. But be decisive!

Michael Jordan was a pretty good player but his talent evaluation is not good.

Granted, I think Wojo’s recruiting record shows he can identify talent and fairly early on.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2020, 01:18:11 PM »
Symir has kind of been what I expected this year.  I just frankly don't think he's that good.  He seems like an awesome guy who teammates love, which is valuable.  But I don't see what he brings to the table that is Big East level.  Shooting?  Nope.  Quickness/athleticism/strength?  I wouldn't say any of those are liabilities for him, but I don't think they're strengths either.  Defensive ability?  Nope.  Dribble drive?  Nope.  Passing?  I mean, I guess?  But he doesn't really get the team into any sort of offense until there's like 10 seconds on the shot clock because he's not confident enough to dribble into his defender and get the offense moving, so it doesn't really help.  I honestly feel better when he's playing off the ball because even though he isn't even remotely a threat to score the ball, at least the ball gets in and out of his hands quickly and keeps moving vs. him standing with his back to the basket 30 feet away as the shot clock is winding down.

Honestly, he's Derrick Wilson without Derrick's defensive ability.  And Derrick was a freaking hound on defense.

The good news is he has the option to be around for another 3.5 years and players can improve.  But to me, he has a LONG way to go if he's going to be a major contributor while playing for a good Marquette team.

This. To me it's less about comparing him to past players who had little to no business playing extended minutes for MU and more about seeing what he's done thus far. Which is pretty much nothing. Love the kid. Not super optimistic with the progression thus far. For a PG, he doesn't do the things that we need a point guard to do well.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2020, 02:20:52 PM »
But he is better than the other options as a back up PG.    BTW, going through the UWGB thread from 2012 that I hoopalooped, seeing Ners advocate for Derrick to start over Junior made laugh out loud.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.