[Today at 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[Today at 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[Today at 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Poll: Vast majority of Americans polled say show college athletes the $$$$  (Read 5795 times)

MU82

• All American
New national poll conducted by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Reporting shows that two-thirds of Americans surveyed believe college athletes should be allowed to cash in on their names, images and likenesses.

http://apnorc.org/projects/Pages/Compensation-for-Collegiate-Athletes.aspx

Obviously, it's going to happen. Will be interesting to see what form it ends up taking.

Also in poll: Only 14% hold a favorable view of the NCAA.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 01:14:37 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
Re: New Poll: Vast majority of Americans say show college athletes the $$$$
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 01:13:14 PM »
Regardless of the results, i dislike when headlines state x% of Americans like/dislike etc. It should read x% of Ameeicans polled...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 01:14:51 PM »
Regardless of the results, i dislike when headlines state x% of Americans like/dislike etc. It should read x% of Ameeicans polled...

You are absolutely correct. I fixed it.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 01:19:50 PM »
California passed a state law saying students could receive payment from endorsements.  Last I heard, about 14 other states had a bill in congress.  2023 is the year it takes effect.  What it really does is finally allow boosters to legally fund athletes.  What's to stop some booster who owns a local business from hiring the baskteball team do a commercial?  Or Nike, Addidas can funnel funds from other sources into a shoe contract of sorts.  There are a lot of creative ways to get athletes money now.  I'm curious as to how high the price will go, now that it's public.  I'm sure some smaller schools will surprise as well.  We did hear Creighton mentioned in the federal investigation.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 01:21:43 PM »
You are absolutely correct. I fixed it.
Thanks. I agree too, just not sure about the logistics.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Sorry, Mike.

This poll is just begging for a chico carpet bomb of posts.

panda

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 01:30:50 PM »
California passed a state law saying students could receive payment from endorsements.  Last I heard, about 14 other states had a bill in congress.  2023 is the year it takes effect.  What it really does is finally allow boosters to legally fund athletes.  What's to stop some booster who owns a local business from hiring the baskteball team do a commercial?  Or Nike, Addidas can funnel funds from other sources into a shoe contract of sorts.  There are a lot of creative ways to get athletes money now.  I'm curious as to how high the price will go, now that it's public.  I'm sure some smaller schools will surprise as well.  We did hear Creighton mentioned in the federal investigation.

Sounds exactly like what’s happening right now....

MU82

• All American
Sorry, Mike.

This poll is just begging for a chico carpet bomb of posts.

I don't think we should avoid posts about interesting, relevant topics just because one or two Scoopers -- and I'm not even calling out the guy you mentioned -- might or might not attempt to ruin the thread.

I won't respond to "carpet-bombers," and I suggest others do the same. It's obviously a legit topic for this forum and will directly affect MU hoops.

We Are Marquette!

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 01:54:22 PM »
Sounds exactly like what’s happening right now....
Yes, the athletes will just have to pay taxes on it, and it's legal.  #MoreTransparency

panda

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 01:56:47 PM »
Yes, the athletes will just have to pay taxes on it, and it's legal.  #MoreTransparency

That’s totally reasonable. Transparency is a good thing.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
In before the lock
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Reading the internals is great.  Less educated support this, almost 50% don’t know much or anything about the NCAA or what they do.  So let’s ask a question with limited information, not balanced, not presenting all sides...awesome.

Reminds me of polls where people are asked if college should be free or health care...and how support falls dramatically when all facets are posed....like who pays for it.  Of course here the negative aspects were not shared to the poll takers.

Brand X.  You been on a bunch the last few days.....but but you only come here at most once a day now.  LOL.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 05:39:33 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Lol

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Only 17% hold an unfavorable view...classic example of cherry picking deleting by the journalist here....no surprise.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Lol

Kids are about to get paid.  About time

Pakuni

• All American
Only 17% hold an unfavorable view...classic example of cherry picking deleting by the journalist here....no surprise.

People who cherry-pick polls and ignore the internals are the worst.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Reading the internals is great.  Less educated support this, almost 50% don’t know much or anything about the NCAA or what they do. 

"People who don't support my position are too stupid to know what's good for them."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Reading the internals is great.  Less educated support this, almost 50% don’t know much or anything about the NCAA or what they do.  So let’s ask a question with limited information, not balanced, not presenting all sides...awesome.

Reminds me of pills where people are asked if college should be free or health care...and how support falls dramatically when all facets are posed.

Brand X.  You been on a bunch the last few days.....but but you only come here at most once a day now.  LOL.

did jockstrap increase your rent again? 

paying the players will be the demise of college athletics
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jay Bee

• All American
S U P E R B A R
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
New national poll conducted by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Reporting shows that two-thirds of Americans surveyed believe college athletes should be allowed to cash in on their names, images and likenesses.

http://apnorc.org/projects/Pages/Compensation-for-Collegiate-Athletes.aspx

Obviously, it's going to happen. Will be interesting to see what form it ends up taking.

Also in poll: Only 14% hold a favorable view of the NCAA.
My only questions are, will the student athletes be off doing commercials or photo shoots during the season and how will it affect play in relation to kids trying to promote themselves on the court on the field on the track or in the pool. Team sports are obviously where this becomes tricky. If people think egos are a problem now, imagine when kids are competing for big money.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
My only questions are, will the student athletes be off doing commercials or photo shoots during the season and how will it affect play in relation to kids trying to promote themselves on the court on the field on the track or in the pool. Team sports are obviously where this becomes tricky. If people think egos are a problem now, imagine when kids are competing for big money.

Time to open a jewelry/tattoo shop near campus.

Pakuni

• All American

paying the players will be the demise of college athletics

"Allowing professionals to compete will be the demise of the Olympics."

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
I don't think we should avoid posts about interesting, relevant topics just because one or two Scoopers -- and I'm not even calling out the guy you mentioned -- might or might not attempt to ruin the thread.

I won't respond to "carpet-bombers," and I suggest others do the same. It's obviously a legit topic for this forum and will directly affect MU hoops.

We Are Marquette!

This IS a very interesting and relevant topic to which most here provide excellent viewpoints.  Hopefully, it will continue as such.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
"Allowing professionals to compete will be the demise of the Olympics."

comparing apples to yoga pants

i don't recall the topic of allowing pros to compete in olympics being near the concern as paying college athletes.  every other country had been doing it since socrates except us. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers

comparing apples to yoga pants

i don't recall the topic of allowing pros to compete in olympics being near the concern as paying college athletes.  every other country had been doing it since socrates except us.

I strongly disagree.  It was a major topic of discussion for a long time.