[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU by the numbers  (Read 21677 times)

UWW2MU

• All American
Re: MU by the numbers
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2019, 08:29:18 AM »
Sounds like Illinois. And Glow and I will be joining the fleeing ranks as soon as we can get someone to buy our house.

That's really going to make your drive to MUBB games extreme...

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2019, 09:49:43 AM »
That's really going to make your drive to MUBB games extreme...

Nope.  And we'll have an announcement about that shortly.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2019, 11:06:03 AM »
Kan't wait ta heer all 'bout da Glow Wing added two the Commons wit yo own guest suite added on da ground floor, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2019, 06:15:48 PM »
Nope.  And we'll have an announcement about that shortly.

I can’t wait for the Crystal Ball reports as we prepare for the hat ceremony.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2019, 08:48:33 AM »
Two Fascinating articles from this morning's WSJ attached.   One about the increasing practice of schools using standardized test data to increase applicants, the other about Occidental College's mission to increase enrollment of minority and first generation students, which they're doing on a much larger scale than MU apparently.  The test data article mostly references elite schools, but there is some relevancy for MU there too.  It was in the top 5 most popular articles among WSJ subs this am.  I know there was another thread about this issue, but since this thread is closer to the top and addresses similar issues, I decided to post here. 

The article about Occidental College in LA is interesting since MU has a very similar mission.   WSJ is behind a sub wall but since I'm a subscriber, I've attached both articles as PDF's.  Enjoy.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 08:51:22 AM by Disco Hippie »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2019, 09:36:52 AM »
That WSJ article shows exactly what is wrong with using admit rate as a measure of quality.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2019, 09:50:52 AM »
Ah yes, the business of education. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors in smoke-filled rooms, hey?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 12:58:36 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2019, 11:08:18 AM »
That WSJ article shows exactly what is wrong with using admit rate as a measure of quality.

Agree completely, but until prospective students and their parents' perceptions about what constitutes quality changes, elite institutions probably won't change their behavior anytime soon.  U.S. News eliminated acceptance rate as part of their criteria to determine rankings last year, but I'm guessing it will take the public at least another 10 years to get used to that.  It will be interesting to see what if any effect their decision to eliminate acceptance rates as a factor has on overall applications to elite institutions over time.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2019, 11:21:54 AM »
$100,000 tuition coming

Univ of Chicago’s approach to make themselves elite

https://apple.news/AYxhpUEC_SsmPCqbM3-26cQ
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2019, 11:42:16 AM »
Two Fascinating articles from this morning's WSJ attached.   One about the increasing practice of schools using standardized test data to increase applicants, the other about Occidental College's mission to increase enrollment of minority and first generation students, which they're doing on a much larger scale than MU apparently.  The test data article mostly references elite schools, but there is some relevancy for MU there too.  It was in the top 5 most popular articles among WSJ subs this am.  I know there was another thread about this issue, but since this thread is closer to the top and addresses similar issues, I decided to post here. 

The article about Occidental College in LA is interesting since MU has a very similar mission.   WSJ is behind a sub wall but since I'm a subscriber, I've attached both articles as PDF's.  Enjoy.

That's been going on for years. Princeton and Harvard were fined by their accreditation agency in the early 2000's for doing this to lower their admission rates by purposely reaching out to students with no chance of getting admitted and encouraging them to apply.  With the Common App it has become even easier to get more unqualified applicants to they can lower their admission rates.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2019, 11:47:29 AM »
$100,000 tuition coming

Univ of Chicago’s approach to make themselves elite

https://apple.news/AYxhpUEC_SsmPCqbM3-26cQ

That's just a number though since few would actually be paying that.  The wealthiest students (kids of millionaires) would but most would pay far less.  Some of the Ivies have a threshold of around $65K AGI in the FAFSA for paying nothing to attend. My wife's sister only paid room and board at an Ivy.  From the article (I do find considering $110,000/year, especially in Chicago, as wealthy quite out of touch):

The University of Chicago’s sticker price is currently roughly $80,300. But as is the case across higher education, most of its students in reality pay far less than the sticker price. Students with a family income below $75,000 are paying roughly $5,200 on average to attend the university this year, The Hechinger Report’s analysis indicates (official data aren’t yet available). Even the wealthiest families—those that make at least $110,000—on average are paying just about half of the total attendance cost. Fewer than half—42 percent—of the university’s 6,300 or so undergraduates paid the sticker price in the 2016–17 school year, according to the most recent available net-cost data.

In a comment to the University of Chicago student paper The Chicago Maroon in July, a university spokesman said the school guarantees students whose families make less than $125,000 tuition-free attendance, meaning they’re on the hook just for nonacademic expenses. And starting with the current freshman class, the spokesman noted, the University of Chicago is also covering the fees, room, and board for students with a household income below $60,000.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2019, 12:03:47 PM »
Whoa.  You guys would be shocked to know what I paid back in the day.  2 great years in Hyde Park learning from multiple Nobel laureates.  It was a privilege.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2019, 01:03:41 PM »
So you're saying paying for college is like shopping at Kohl's.  You feel better walking out the door knowing you paid $45 for what some shmuck would have paid $235 for had they not gotten the clothes on sale and used Kohl's Cash

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2019, 04:14:58 PM »
Whoa.  You guys would be shocked to know what I paid back in the day.  2 great years in Hyde Park learning from multiple Nobel laureates.  It was a privilege.

Obama was your professor?

(Relax, its a joke, not politics.)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2019, 05:35:08 PM »

No way would U of C let Obama teach economics.

(Relax, it's a joke, not politics)
Have some patience, FFS.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2019, 07:55:05 PM »
No way would U of C let Obama teach economics.

(Relax, it's a joke, not politics)

He did teach law there, however.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2019, 07:20:50 AM »

Ha, I'm relaxed.  No, my professors won real Nobels, not politically charged Peace Prizes.  I think my count is now 3-4 separate individuals.  For you old timers, no I didn't study under Uncle Milton.  He was retired by then but still on campus.  In fact, he lived in the next building over from me.  But there were numerous first generation fathers of modern finance including Gene Fama, Merton Miller, Jim Laurie, Bob Hamada and Myron Scholes.  Brilliant, brilliant men.  And all absolutely super guys.

And long ago replaced by fancy and expensive real estate both in Hyde Park and downtown, the B-school (as it was called long before Sloan was in the picture) was nothing more than 4 classrooms, a lounge, an administrative office and a couple dozen professor's offices on the SE main quad on campus.  The space still exists today, largely unused, except for the occasional generic classroom application.  As had been said elsewhere, incredible minds didn't always need zillion dollar facilities.  But we live in a different time now, I guess.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 07:33:37 AM by jsglow »

• All American
« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2019, 07:29:26 AM »
🙄🙄🙄

The Peace Prize was an original Nobel. The Prize in economics is not an original Nobel. It was established 50 years ago.

I mean they are all “real” but my guess is that one gets disparaged based on the political leanings of the recipients.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #118 on: November 09, 2019, 07:32:18 AM »
Ha, I'm relaxed.  No, my professors won real Nobels, not politically charged Peace Prizes.  I think my count is now 3-4 separate individuals.  For you old timers, no I didn't study under Uncle Milton.  He was retired by then but still on campus.  In fact, he lived in the next building over from me.  But there were numerous first generation fathers of modern finance including Gene Fama, Merton Miller, Jim Laurie, Bob Hamada and Myron Scholes.  Brilliant, brilliant men.  And all absolutely super guys.

And long ago replaced by fancy and expensive real estate both in Hyde Park and downtown, the B-school (as it was called long before Sloan was in the picture) was nothing more than 4 classrooms, a lounge, an administrative office and a few dozen professor's offices on the SE main quad on campus.  The space still exists today, largely unused, except for the occasional generic classroom application.  As had been said elsewhere, incredible minds didn't always need zillion dollar facilities.  But we live in a different time now, I guess.

The economics prize is not an "actual" Nobel prize. It is not decided by the Nobel committee, the Nobel family, and many Swedes want the Nobel name associated with it removed.

It was created as a Economics prize "dedicated to the memory of Alfred Nobel".

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2019, 07:38:46 AM »
🙄🙄🙄

The Peace Prize was an original Nobel. The Prize in economics is not an original Nobel. It was established 50 years ago.

I mean they are all “real” but my guess is that one gets disparaged based on the political leanings of the recipients.

I was unaware of that.  Interesting.  And yes, the ones for various hard sciences (including economics) based on real research are wholly different from any that have been politicized over the years.  I don't think anyone can argue that that fate hasn't occurred but that's another topic entirely.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 07:43:45 AM by jsglow »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2019, 10:19:18 AM »
And long ago replaced by fancy and expensive real estate both in Hyde Park and downtown, the B-school (as it was called long before Sloan was in the picture) was nothing more than 4 classrooms, a lounge, an administrative office and a couple dozen professor's offices on the SE main quad on campus.  The space still exists today, largely unused, except for the occasional generic classroom application.  As had been said elsewhere, incredible minds didn't always need zillion dollar facilities.  But we live in a different time now, I guess.

Curious, who is Sloan?

• All American
« Reply #121 on: November 09, 2019, 10:34:18 AM »
I was unaware of that.  Interesting.  And yes, the ones for various hard sciences (including economics) based on real research are wholly different from any that have been politicized over the years.  I don't think anyone can argue that that fate hasn't occurred but that's another topic entirely.

Not really. But whatever makes you feel good I guess

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2019, 03:51:02 PM »
The economics prize is not an "actual" Nobel prize. It is not decided by the Nobel committee, the Nobel family, and many Swedes want the Nobel name associated with it removed.

It was created as a Economics prize "dedicated to the memory of Alfred Nobel".

Sure.  And the Kansas City Chiefs aren't "actually" an NFL team since they weren't in the original National Football League.

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/economic-sciences/

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #123 on: November 09, 2019, 04:04:44 PM »

To be sure, politics is everywhere, bro, even in the Econ Nobel (and I'm sure the other fields as well, though maybe based on "politicking" rather than notions of fairness, justice, and efficiency). 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #124 on: November 09, 2019, 04:11:06 PM »
🙄🙄🙄

Or the fact people are given some of these prizes without literally doing a thing because of the political leanings of the ORGANIZATION.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire