[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by brewcity77
[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2021  (Read 47440 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Golf 2021
« Reply #250 on: April 14, 2021, 07:18:46 AM »
I had my first two-birdie round in many years today - part of a par-birdie-bogey-birdie stretch that for a hack like me is akin to winning a major.

Congratulations.  Stuff like that is why you keep coming back.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #251 on: April 14, 2021, 08:38:10 AM »
Congratulations.  Stuff like that is why you keep coming back.

One thing that's fun to me is the different expectations folks have for themselves. You were talking about not being especially happy with your play lately and you usually shoot 73 to 77.

Pros are unhappy if they ever get a bogey. On the other end of the spectrum, I play with a guy who just took up golf last year and has yet to break 100; it will be a day of celebration when he gets that first "honest 99."

I am very happy when I break 90 - something that hasn't happened this year yet on a "big boy course." Had a chance for 40 on the back yesterday but barely missed three 8-15 foot putts on my last three holes after my nice little stretch. It's been at least 3 years since I shot 40 for 9.

And if I shot a 77, tower, I think I'd gold-plate my clubs and give up golf forever knowing that it would never get better than that!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #252 on: April 14, 2021, 09:43:23 AM »
I shouldn't bother telling you that I chipped in on 18 at my regular course for my first sup par round of the year.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #253 on: April 14, 2021, 11:29:56 AM »
Anyone wear sunglasses while golfing? I've read that yellow or copper help with contrast for green reading. I've worn transition lenses in the past but have decided to go with my RK corrected naked eyes this year which are pretty close to 20-20. Just wondering what others have experienced.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #254 on: April 14, 2021, 11:32:31 AM »
I play in prescription Oakley's.    I had a pair of Nike sunglasses with golf specific lenses for about 6 years until the frames wore out.   

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #255 on: April 14, 2021, 11:34:39 AM »
I play in prescription Ray Bans.  My regular glasses are bifocals that makes my line of sight blurry as I swing a club.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #256 on: April 14, 2021, 11:35:45 AM »
Mine are my distance prescription only.    I lose the ball on my downswing when I try to play in bifocals. 

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #257 on: April 14, 2021, 02:14:21 PM »
Anyone wear sunglasses while golfing? I've read that yellow or copper help with contrast for green reading. I've worn transition lenses in the past but have decided to go with my RK corrected naked eyes this year which are pretty close to 20-20. Just wondering what others have experienced.

I have Oakley Prizm glasses I wear. I still have better than 20/20 vision but it's getting closer to it now post 40. So no prescription here. 2 big things they help with:

1) Reading greens
2) Seeing my yellow Snell MTB Black in the rough

I love em.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #258 on: April 14, 2021, 02:23:47 PM »
Playing in bifocals is definitely discouraged.

https://www.swingsurgeon.com/daily-video-tips/dont-wear-bifocals-when-you-play-golf

What color(s) are your lenses? This article suggests brown or amber or rose would be the preferred choice so that is what I would be leaning towards.

https://www.sportrx.com/blog/best-lens-colors-for-golf-sunglasses/

Those Prizms appear to be a good choice.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #259 on: April 14, 2021, 02:49:37 PM »

I always hated it. My main problem was that I'd see the ball or the grass or the sky or whatever out the bottoms of my frames and it kind of messed me up. Even though my vision is not good in my left eye (but almost 20/20 in my right), I preferred no glasses at all, sunglasses or otherwise.

But about a month ago, I started wearing prescription Oakley wraps. So I don't see around the sides, top and bottom of the frames. I see everything more clearly, too. I credit it with helping my putting for sure, and just making me more comfortable in general golfing.

Hearing what some fellow Scoopers are saying about Prizm lenses, I think that next time I get a new prescription I might give them a whirl.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #260 on: April 14, 2021, 02:53:25 PM »
I shouldn't bother telling you that I chipped in on 18 at my regular course for my first sup par round of the year.

I'm glad you told me. I root for others to have fun and excel. Congrats on going under par. That's cool.

Like most high-handicappers, I'm not especially good at anything. But I am REALLY bad at chipping. I bet it costs me 5-10 strokes per round. I've taken a couple of lessons, gone to short-game clinics, etc. I think I know what I'm supposed to do, but when I stand over the ball I get the chipping yips; mostly, I believe I tend to decelerate on my downswing. It's very frustrating.

Next time I visit my best MU buddy in suburban Detroit, I'm gonna drop in on you and let you turn me into Chippy McChipperson!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #261 on: April 14, 2021, 05:22:09 PM »
The best thing that ever happened to my short game was being poor when I got married.   We lived in an apartment complex.  An old snowbird lived there and the complex allowed him to set up and maintain a putting green that made an L around the swimming pool.   I didn't have enough money to golf very often.   But I did have a wedge and a lot of time.   I happened to read an article on the short game in one of the golf mags about then and took those fundamentals out to the green.   It was too slow to really practice long putts on.   So I spent hours on chipping and 3 foot putts.   I would chip for an hour or until I holed one, whichever came last.   I started putting crosshanded in 1992.  I broke 90 for the first time in '92 and 80 for the first time in 1993.  All short game.

To this day, the strength of my game is short game and making 6' putts.   Whenever either goes astray, I can usually fix them with an hour and a couple of balls at one of the local courses. 
    I have fixed friends short games when they have asked.   Nothing would make me happier than playing golf with you, Mike.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #262 on: April 14, 2021, 05:32:44 PM »
tower

I need a short game lesson badly. Once a strength of my game has became a nightmare. I do believe I need to get "real" glasses and that could help to some degree. My putting on an everyday course costs me a minimum of 4-6 shots a round. Ironically, when I pay big money for a round my putting always rises to the occasion. Could use your help!!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #263 on: April 14, 2021, 05:43:58 PM »
Golf summit?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #264 on: April 14, 2021, 05:51:27 PM »
tower

If it improves my putting, I'm in!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #265 on: April 14, 2021, 06:15:01 PM »
What is different with your short game and putting compared to the past?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #266 on: April 14, 2021, 06:59:24 PM »
The best thing that ever happened to my short game was being poor when I got married.   We lived in an apartment complex.  An old snowbird lived there and the complex allowed him to set up and maintain a putting green that made an L around the swimming pool.   I didn't have enough money to golf very often.   But I did have a wedge and a lot of time.   I happened to read an article on the short game in one of the golf mags about then and took those fundamentals out to the green.   It was too slow to really practice long putts on.   So I spent hours on chipping and 3 foot putts.   I would chip for an hour or until I holed one, whichever came last.   I started putting crosshanded in 1992.  I broke 90 for the first time in '92 and 80 for the first time in 1993.  All short game.

To this day, the strength of my game is short game and making 6' putts.   Whenever either goes astray, I can usually fix them with an hour and a couple of balls at one of the local courses. 
    I have fixed friends short games when they have asked.   Nothing would make me happier than playing golf with you, Mike.

Objectively, I would say I am an average to above-average putter -- especially for a 60-year-old. I already was pretty decent, and the oversized grip I recently got helps me keep my wrists in the proper position. And my pitching game is tolerable. But the chipping ... drives me effen crazy!

So I might just take you up on that someday. But you are gonna forgive me for calling you a liar that NOTHING would make you happier - ha! I'll PM you next time I think I'm coming your way. And BTW, Charlotte's a great place for golf!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #267 on: April 14, 2021, 07:06:52 PM »
 Center shafted putters fit my eye the best.   I don't like offset at all.   I do have a Taylor Made Daddy long legs for when my Bettinardi misbehaves.

Oversize grips rock.   

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #268 on: April 14, 2021, 07:08:13 PM »
I have Oakley Prizm glasses I wear. I still have better than 20/20 vision but it's getting closer to it now post 40. So no prescription here. 2 big things they help with:

1) Reading greens

I love em.

My man!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #269 on: April 14, 2021, 07:08:53 PM »
Center shafted putters fit my eye the best.   I don't like offset at all.   I do have a Taylor Made Daddy long legs for when my Bettinardi misbehaves.

Oversize grips rock.

Hate them. Can't putt with them. Super uncomfortable for me, but no idea why.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #270 on: April 14, 2021, 07:10:16 PM »
I feel the exact same way about skinny grips.   Vive la difference.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #271 on: April 15, 2021, 05:06:16 AM »
tower

Number of factors in the big picture, I do not play often enough, eyesight, playing more courses and mental.

My chipping is decent, but putting kills me. Short and mid range is my biggest problem. Still a good long range putter, both speed and line.

Like any golfer, I can get streaky on short and mid ranges putts for a round or two but no carryover after that. Big issue on short putts is pulling the ball. Switched putters late last season and saw some improvement but to early to tell.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #272 on: April 15, 2021, 06:45:25 AM »
When I start pulling short putts, it is usually because my backswing has gotten long and I decelerate coming through.   I practice a Snedeker 'pop' stroke to get the feel of not giving the blade a chance to close.   And I practice my swearing and excuses.

Finally, I try to buy clubs that float.   
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 06:50:36 AM by tower912 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #273 on: April 15, 2021, 07:23:31 AM »
When all else fails, break your putter and use your 5-wood.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #274 on: April 16, 2021, 04:18:26 PM »

1) Reading greens

I love em.

Whaddup Frittelli?