[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2021  (Read 47385 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: Golf 2021
« Reply #175 on: March 11, 2021, 08:50:59 PM »
I doubt it.

That said, the game is changing. Both Rory and Jason Day have talked about how younger guys will likely have shorter careers. Guys will go harder and faster in their primes and accept the trade-off. With the cash available, there's no reason for the top guys to have to grind it out year after year on the Tour.

Just keep your card year after year. That’s what it’s about.

Charles Howell has been on tour 20 years. Has won only three times and has earned over 40 million dollars. That does not include his endorsement money over the years.
Howell has played in 50 majors and has one top ten finish.  One. No top fives.
Was never a member of a Ryder Cup or President Cup team.  But 40 million in bank, a consistent player and one of the best liked guys on tour.

Others are Stewart Cink and the next to be is Tony Finau.  Finau has one win, in a lower field, since the win was same week as WGC event.  May win once every 6 years, but making cuts and keeping card will make you millions.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 08:58:50 PM by nyg »

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #176 on: March 11, 2021, 09:12:11 PM »

Charles Howell has been on tour 20 years. Has won only three times and has earned over 40 million dollars. That does not include his endorsement money over the years.
Was never a member of a Ryder Cup or President Cup team.  But 40 million in bank, a consistent player and one of the best liked guys on tour.

Others are Stewart Cink and the next to be is Tony Finau.  Finau has one win, in a lower field, since the win was same week as WGC event.  May win once every 6 years, but making cuts and keeping card will make you millions.
Probably 10–15 years ago Golf Digest had a great article where they figured out how much money a tour pro would make if he shot even par for every round.

I was amazed at how much it was. But this was back when even par or maybe  +1 or +2 could earn a Top 5 at Augusta or one of the other majors.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #177 on: March 11, 2021, 11:49:23 PM »
Rory admitted he played terrible last week - still finished T10. He & DJ essentially just make the game to damn easy.

I think Rory has one the best golf swings ever. He's a generational talent.

But, like Tiger, after some success, he wanted to be seen as an athlete, not just a golfer. But, he didn't have the body for that image. So, he hit the gym hard. However, I don't think that has made him a better golfer. I wouldn't say worse, but certainly not better.

Rory frustrates me as a golf fan. It is hard to believe we have gone six full seasons since his last major championship. He just can't tighten up his short iron/full wedge shots and putter enough.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #178 on: March 12, 2021, 12:09:19 AM »

No question guys like CHIII, Kevin Kisner, even a Matt Kuchar have made a ton of cash just playing good golf and making cuts week after week. The Tour is always going to have guys like this.

However, I was talking about the guys, especially the young guys, that are striving to be the best in the world. To achieve that, players are going to pushing their bodies much harder than the generation prior. And, with that, a far greater chance of injuries and shorter careers.

Jason Day is the perfect example of this. Day is 33 and has a horrible back from his restrict the hips golf swing. I don't see Day on the Tour in his 40s. For years, people have been saying Day's swing was going to cause him major back issues. Sure enough, it happened. But, he never changed his swing. He made that sacrifice to win a major and became a world #1. It was the kind of trade-off I think we will see more and more of.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #179 on: March 12, 2021, 06:53:16 AM »
It will be interesting to see if Bryson's back and body are able to stand up to the changes he has made and how hard he swings.

Not a chance
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #180 on: March 12, 2021, 07:16:45 AM »
Great video of the "fun" at No. 17 yesterday ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFAJL5BS36k
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #181 on: March 12, 2021, 07:17:38 AM »
There was carnage.    They had better water that green today.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #182 on: March 12, 2021, 10:15:15 AM »

I know it's fun to poke at Finau being the living embodiment of the Puerto Rico Open Curse but in his last 11 starts he has 6 top 10s (2, T2, 4, T5, T8, T8) with his worst finish being a T38.
But I like to throw handfuls...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #183 on: March 12, 2021, 10:16:46 AM »
Yeah, Finau has one problem.   Being average on Sunday when he needs to finish.     Give me the 'disappointing' golf he has been playing lately any time.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Chili

• All American
« Reply #184 on: March 12, 2021, 10:17:43 AM »
I think Rory has one the best golf swings ever. He's a generational talent.

But, like Tiger, after some success, he wanted to be seen as an athlete, not just a golfer. But, he didn't have the body for that image. So, he hit the gym hard. However, I don't think that has made him a better golfer. I wouldn't say worse, but certainly not better.

Rory frustrates me as a golf fan. It is hard to believe we have gone six full seasons since his last major championship. He just can't tighten up his short iron/full wedge shots and putter enough.

Totally agree with the McRib frustrating everyone. I heard this I think on Shotgun Start but that Rory is probably the player most hurt by the all the equipment advances. If the tour does the rollbacks I think he would rise up. He's one of the few players who doesn't have a real weakness.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #185 on: March 12, 2021, 10:19:03 AM »
Yeah, Finau has one problem.   Being average on Sunday when he needs to finish.     Give me the 'disappointing' golf he has been playing lately any time.

His 64 in LA showed he can do it which shows a sign of something new. Though I am glad Max got the win.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #186 on: March 12, 2021, 10:20:55 AM »
His 64 in LA showed he can do it which shows a sign of something new. Though I am glad Max got the win.

I was rooting for Finau in LA.    Homa should have won in regulation.   If Homa had made that 3 foot putt, no one piles on Finau.   Go to extra holes, hit a bad shot on the second, and the 'choke' narrative gets reinforced.    Ah, well.   

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #187 on: March 12, 2021, 10:22:04 AM »
When do we think tiger actually began juicing?

Also, at this point I'm a convert to the school of thinking that PGA needs to play a distance-limited ball.

A few years before he started losing his hair. BTW, It was widely suspected that Annika Juiced too, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #188 on: March 12, 2021, 10:43:22 AM »
Totally agree with the McRib frustrating everyone. I heard this I think on Shotgun Start but that Rory is probably the player most hurt by the all the equipment advances. If the tour does the rollbacks I think he would rise up. He's one of the few players who doesn't have a real weakness.

Rory’s wedge game is awful.  I also have a theory on golf greatness that very few can maintain the desire, talent and work ethic to accomplish true greatness.  That means money and family can be part of your life but golf is still all consuming.  The money is so great today, that a few good years basically can set you up for life and I can imagine grinding at the range and gym can seem silly at a certain point.  I don’t think Rory shirks on working hard but I also believe Rory doesn’t concern himself with how the golf world will remember him.  Rory is very much about being the best Rory the person versus Rory the golfer. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #189 on: March 12, 2021, 12:39:18 PM »
He's one of the few players who doesn't have a real weakness.

Putts between 8' and 4' are Rory's weakness.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #190 on: March 12, 2021, 04:42:12 PM »
what has happened to rickie fowler?? 

it does seem since he got married, chit went down hill from there...and i've been married for 36 years...what the...now i know why my game sucks so bad :D
don't...don't don't don't don't

nyg

• All American
« Reply #191 on: March 12, 2021, 05:09:52 PM »
I know it's fun to poke at Finau being the living embodiment of the Puerto Rico Open Curse but in his last 11 starts he has 6 top 10s (2, T2, 4, T5, T8, T8) with his worst finish being a T38.

Not poking fun, just stating facts.  Finau cannot close the deal.  He is a great ball striker, but has some putting woes and when close to the lead on day 4, he falters.  Putter, nerves, who knows, but once a guy wins a close one on day 4 after all the runner-ups, usually goes on a good streak. I like Finau, good family man, etc. and would love to see him win. Looks like a lock for Ryder Cup and hope he does well representing.

Point is if he keeps up this pace he may win 100 million in earnings by the time his career ends, wins or no wins. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #192 on: March 12, 2021, 05:51:37 PM »
I played 9 Tuesday and had my typical dopey round -- a few great drives, a few horrible ones, some nice irons, some fat and thin irons, and lots of terrible chips.

But I still had my best "round" (if 9 can be called a round) in at least 6 months because I had my best putting round in years.

I've been an OK-to-good putter but this was beyond that. 5 one-putts, including drainos from 50, 25 and three 8-12. And three of the ones I missed either hit the flag or burned the edge. I only had two bad putts the entire round, and one was a downhill 5-footer.

I can think of two reasons for the dramatic improvement:

1. It was the first round I played with the new prescription Oakley sunglasses I just got. I usually don't like to wear shades because I can see out the sides and bottoms of the frames and it's distracting, but these are wraps. Because the glasses both corrected my vision and blocked the glare, I really read the greens well all day. Several of the putts had pretty big breaks, and I read them nicely.

2. It was my second round with my re-gripped putter. I finally got one of those oversized grips, this one from Odyssey, and it really helped keep everything smooth. I felt in control on every putt, no wrist hitch. After I did well on my first couple of putts, my confidence in the putter was high.

I'm playing 18 next week, so we'll see if I'm really onto something or if it was a total fluke - which is very possible!

nyg

• All American
« Reply #193 on: March 12, 2021, 06:05:07 PM »
what has happened to rickie fowler?? 

it does seem since he got married, chit went down hill from there...and i've been married for 36 years...what the...now i know why my game sucks so bad :D

Too many commercials and endorsement appearances. Butch Harmon asked him if he wants to be a Khardasian or a pro golfer.

But real issue is the old “swing change” and he left Harmon and got a new coach. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #194 on: March 12, 2021, 06:12:32 PM »
Too many commercials and endorsement appearances. Butch Harmon asked him if he wants to be a Khardasian or a pro golfer.

But real issue is the old “swing change” and he left Harmon and got a new coach.

He’s also a head case. A bit different than Finau, but at least 1, sometimes 2 majors a year, feature Fowler playing well on Thursday and usually Friday.  Then he implodes into Saturday, falls out of contention, then has a strong final round on Sunday when he’s out of it.

Plenty of great golfers didn’t win their first major until their 30s, and I bet he still gets one if not more, but he’s been rough to follow in majors

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #195 on: March 12, 2021, 06:35:37 PM »
He’s also a head case. A bit different than Finau, but at least 1, sometimes 2 majors a year, feature Fowler playing well on Thursday and usually Friday.  Then he implodes into Saturday, falls out of contention, then has a strong final round on Sunday when he’s out of it.

Plenty of great golfers didn’t win their first major until their 30s, and I bet he still gets one if not more, but he’s been rough to follow in majors

He’s always had a problem with big numbers during tournaments.  When he’s playing well, he avoids those .  I think you’re right that he can win a major in his late 30’s, ala Sergio. 

Chili

• All American
« Reply #196 on: March 12, 2021, 07:00:59 PM »
Mea culpa

ESPN: Rory McIlroy says swing has come up short while chasing Bryson DeChambeau's length.
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/31053732/rory-mcilroy-says-swing-come-short-chasing-bryson-dechambeau-length

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #197 on: March 12, 2021, 07:02:40 PM »
Mea culpa

ESPN: Rory McIlroy says swing has come up short while chasing Bryson DeChambeau's length.
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/31053732/rory-mcilroy-says-swing-come-short-chasing-bryson-dechambeau-length

not to mention bryson's drives, eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #198 on: March 12, 2021, 07:36:17 PM »
Sergio Garcia turned in a 72 today after yesterdays 65. Had 6 close putts that he missed including a 23 inch putter. The ball striking as always with Sergio is spot on. Had an eagle when he hit a 222 yard second shot to 4 inches.

Interesting to see 3 Euros among the leaders Westwood, Sergio and Mathew Fitzpatrick. I think the Europeans tend to learn how to play in the wind and shape shots. This course is a shot making course that requires precise placement.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #199 on: March 12, 2021, 09:02:44 PM »
Sergio Garcia turned in a 72 today after yesterdays 65. Had 6 close putts that he missed including a 23 inch putter. The ball striking as always with Sergio is spot on. Had an eagle when he hit a 222 yard second shot to 4 inches.

Interesting to see 3 Euros among the leaders Westwood, Sergio and Mathew Fitzpatrick. I think the Europeans tend to learn how to play in the wind and shape shots. This course is a shot making course that requires precise placement.

Tell Sergio to call me about his putting problems.