[Today at 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: West Coast Football Stinks  (Read 7288 times)

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
West Coast Football Stinks
« on: September 22, 2010, 03:54:28 PM »
Unless they cheat like they did an USC the west coast is unable to field a team that can compare to the midwest or the south.  It's a shame that California has become a wasteland for gridiron excellence.  Must be the water.  I watch Stanford play the other day.  Garbage in garbage out.  Northwestern would eat them alive.  can't wait to see Notre Dame beat them by 30
In heaven Marquette always beats Wisconsin

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
Re: West Coast Football Stinks
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 04:16:27 PM »
ASU should have beat Wisconsin by two TDs!!
The "average fan" is an idiot.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 04:47:29 PM »
Unless they cheat like they did an USC the west coast is unable to field a team that can compare to the midwest or the south.  It's a shame that California has become a wasteland for gridiron excellence.  Must be the water.  I watch Stanford play the other day.  Garbage in garbage out.  Northwestern would eat them alive.  can't wait to see Notre Dame beat them by 30

I have no horse in this race, but no way ND hangs 30 points on them, not to mention winning by 30.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 05:58:40 PM »
I think Stanford may win that fairly easilly.  Oregon isn't a slouch program either.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 06:30:38 PM »
Arizona just beat the supposed 2nd best team in the big televevenlve.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 11:21:58 PM »

I'll take that bet.  Hell, let me just take Stanford straight up since you think they will lose by 30.  What's the bet?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 08:28:28 AM »
Oregon isn't a slouch program either.

This.  Number 5 in the nation, and some analysts think they're the best (yes, better than Alabama...I disagree but...) team in the nation.

Arizona just beat the supposed 2nd best team in the big televevenlve.

And this.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 09:58:59 AM »
This.  Number 5 in the nation, and some analysts think they're the best (yes, better than Alabama...I disagree but...) team in the nation.

And this.

Bosie State has been on a pretty solid run as well. If they beat OSU this week, they are probably going to find themselves in the national title game.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 11:10:57 AM »
Bosie State has been on a pretty solid run as well. If they beat OSU this week, they are probably going to find themselves in the national title game.

not going to happen, no one wants to see boise in the title game

reinko

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 11:25:21 AM »

Not sure how friendly the computers will be to Boise St. is Va Tech (Boise State's only marquee* win) continues to sputter.

*And IMHO, that marquee win is crap...against a team they were favored and on neutral field...As in previous years, one loss teams in the SEC, Big Ten, and Big 12 may still have enough juice to get to the title game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 11:44:17 AM »

Good point.  I didn't even think of them as West Coast.

I do.  There's only so many times the same team can go undefeated and win a BCS bowl before they finally are given the opportunity to prove they're the best team in the nation.  And I typically hate seeing mid-major conference teams (in any sport) wine about not getting enough publicity.

Not sure how friendly the computers will be to Boise St. is Va Tech (Boise State's only marquee* win) continues to sputter.

*And IMHO, that marquee win is crap...against a team they were favored and on neutral field...As in previous years, one loss teams in the SEC, Big Ten, and Big 12 may still have enough juice to get to the title game.

If 2,387 miles compared to 281 miles and about 75% Virginia Tech fans compared to about 25% Boise State fans is a neutral field, then yes it was played on a "neutral" field.  And they were certainly not huge favorites going into the game.  It was #10 vs. #3.

If there is more than 1 team that goes undefeated from the SEC, Big Ten, Pac 10, and Big Twelve then chances are whatever teams those are jump Boise State in the BCS rankings; however, I personally think if Boise State runs the table the only two team that should be ranked higher is if an SEC team runs the table (obviously that is most likely Alabama but you never know) and if a Pac 10 team runs the table.  I don't think Texas or Oklahoma are nearly as good this year as they have been previously and I think the Big Ten is extremely overrated (as it always is...see Iowa last weekend, Penn State got pounded by Mark Ingram-less Alabama who obviously is really good but if Penn State is good they should've been able to make it a respectable game, Wisconsin is clearly not as good as their ranking, etc.).  I really do believe that the Pac 10 is the 2nd best conference in the nation.  With Arizona, Oregon, USC (can't make a bowl game but are still a pretty good team), and Stanford, if a team comes out of that conference undefeated they deserve to go to the national championship.

The Big East isn't even worth mentioning when talking national championship contenders.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 12:08:51 PM »

Actually a lot of people want to see it, but the networks and those in the BCS conferences don't.  I'd love to see them in there and some of the polling shows that I'm not alone.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 12:09:32 PM »
Come on Dutchman....no takers on a bet?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 02:25:21 PM »
Actually a lot of people want to see it, but the networks and those in the BCS conferences don't.  I'd love to see them in there and some of the polling shows that I'm not alone.

Why don't the networks want it?  Because their rating will suffer because the general public would rather see Bama and Ohio State.

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 02:36:30 PM »
Your on Chicos

If Stanford wins I will write a fan letter to Tan Tommy Crean Puff and apologize for calling him the William Munny of the college game.  If ND wins you buy and drink a green beer. 
In heaven Marquette always beats Wisconsin

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 02:40:07 PM »
So Chicos is in a no-lose situation.  If he wins...he wins.  If he loses...he drinks beer.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 02:51:37 PM »

Why don't the networks want it?  Because their rating will suffer because the general public would rather see Bama and Ohio State.

Your evidence to support that argument is what?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 02:53:41 PM »

From a ratings standpoint, the networks will suffer.  The "feel good" stories simply rarely pan out in the ratings over the traditionally dominant teams.  There have been a few exceptions but largely it's how it works.  My former boss is now the president of Fox Sports as of a few months ago...only 40 years old, what a gig.  He used talk about the matchups of smaller \ lesser national teams always made wonderful story lines and compelling television but at the end of the day, most folks will tune in for Ohio State vs USC title game than Boise State vs Florida  (same goes for the Tampa Rays in the World Series or Arizona Cardinals or Tampa or Seattle or Atlanta in the Super Bowl).  Of course, there are exceptions...last year's Super Bowl with New Orleans was the biggest ever in viewership and second highest in rating.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 03:04:01 PM »
Your on Chicos

If Stanford wins I will write a fan letter to Tan Tommy Crean Puff and apologize for calling him the William Munny of the college game.  If ND wins you buy and drink a green beer. 

I was thinking more along the lines of, if I win you buy Canadian Dimes a dictionary and a poetry book by e.e. cummings.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 04:07:52 PM »
I'm not sure that Boise even qualifies as a feel good story anymore. Same probably goes for TCU. Sometimes you're just good. Those two teams seem to differ from other mid-major types because unlike most of those other one hit wonder types who thrive on speed, gimmick offenses, etc., they seemingly have the ability to get the 300 pound guys to play in the trenches, that most MWC, CUSA type teams typically lack, putting them on much more even footing with BCS conference teams.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 05:32:03 PM »
Your evidence to support that argument is what?

Of last year's bowl games, the TCU v. Boise Fiesta Bowl was the lowest.

Chicos even said it...the fans at large would rather watch the bluebloods...and that's what the networks want.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 11:05:50 PM »

Of last year's bowl games, the TCU v. Boise Fiesta Bowl was the lowest.

Chicos even said it...the fans at large would rather watch the bluebloods...and that's what the networks want.

My guess is that if it was Boise State vs. Florida and TCU vs. Ohio State the ratings for both games would've been higher.  The David vs. Goliath idea draws more than the Goliath vs. Goliath.  Those 2 teams just want a chance to prove they can play with the big boys.  That's why it pissed me off that they matched those 2 teams up against each other, but makes sense because the big time conferences don't want these schools proving they can play with the big boys.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 07:29:02 AM »
I was thinking more along the lines of, if I win you buy Canadian Dimes a dictionary and a poetry book by e.e. cummings.

+10
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 08:11:30 AM »
My guess is that if it was Boise State vs. Florida and TCU vs. Ohio State the ratings for both games would've been higher.  The David vs. Goliath idea draws more than the Goliath vs. Goliath.  Those 2 teams just want a chance to prove they can play with the big boys.  That's why it pissed me off that they matched those 2 teams up against each other, but makes sense because the big time conferences don't want these schools proving they can play with the big boys.

But you'd get the highest ratings of all if you matched Florida and Ohio State.   That's just how it is....Boise and TCU make for good stories, but in the end, the ratings show that people prefer the big programs.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 08:19:20 AM »

But you'd get the highest ratings of all if you matched Florida and Ohio State.   That's just how it is....Boise and TCU make for good stories, but in the end, the ratings show that people prefer the big programs.

That may be true, but given that is all anyone is given the opportunity to watch, I guess we'll never know. I understand it may not be a fair comparison, but the NCAA tournament probably suggests a different story.

feedback