* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129779 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #9375 on: December 24, 2020, 10:40:18 AM »
I don't know the murder/manslaughter laws in Oregon, but this man should be held to account for the 7 people who died as a result of his actions.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/23/us/oregon-covid-superspreader-action-trnd/index.html

Officials in Oregon say a "superspreader action" is likely behind two recent Covid-19 outbreaks in the state.

The action in question: A person knowingly went to work while sick and later tested positive for the virus, Douglas County officials said last week.

Two separate Covid-19 outbreaks have now been traced back to that person, officials said. Seven people died as a result of the first outbreak, and hundreds of people were forced to self-isolate over the second one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9376 on: December 24, 2020, 11:37:47 AM »
I don't know the murder/manslaughter laws in Oregon, but this man should be held to account for the 7 people who died as a result of his actions.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/23/us/oregon-covid-superspreader-action-trnd/index.html

Officials in Oregon say a "superspreader action" is likely behind two recent Covid-19 outbreaks in the state.

The action in question: A person knowingly went to work while sick and later tested positive for the virus, Douglas County officials said last week.

Two separate Covid-19 outbreaks have now been traced back to that person, officials said. Seven people died as a result of the first outbreak, and hundreds of people were forced to self-isolate over the second one.

But ... you know ... it's all about personal freedom and personal responsibility.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9377 on: December 24, 2020, 01:02:23 PM »
But ... you know ... it's all about personal freedom and personal responsibility.

Perfect. I hope the State of Oregon holds him 'responsible' for his actions.  ;)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9378 on: December 25, 2020, 08:24:50 AM »
Mecklenburg, the largest county in NC (includes Charlotte), set a single-day record for COVID-19 deaths -- 12.

Of the dozen, 8 had no known pre-existing conditions.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #9379 on: December 26, 2020, 12:09:54 PM »

Or they had no choice but to go to work because they would be fired or needed the paycheck to make ends meet.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9380 on: December 26, 2020, 01:08:59 PM »
Or they had no choice but to go to work because they would be fired or needed the paycheck to make ends meet.

And that justifies spreading a known deadly pathogen that has (so far) killed at least 7 people?

There are food banks, there is a moratorium on evictions...and there is no justification for this.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #9381 on: December 26, 2020, 01:43:46 PM »
I don’t think going to work while sick is ok, but if I am honest with myself, I don’t know how I would react if faced with the choice between going to work sick and my family not eating or becoming homeless or losing my job totally. The lack of paid sick leave is unconscionable ( and the special Covid requirement either just expired or is expiring).
I have no such wonder about people flying with symptoms or knowing they tested positive. They should be permanently barred from flying.  But then I am of the camp that does not approve if flying off for vacations during a pandemic.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #9382 on: December 26, 2020, 03:09:33 PM »
I don’t think going to work while sick is ok, but if I am honest with myself, I don’t know how I would react if faced with the choice between going to work sick and my family not eating or becoming homeless or losing my job totally. The lack of paid sick leave is unconscionable ( and the special Covid requirement either just expired or is expiring).
I have no such wonder about people flying with symptoms or knowing they tested positive. They should be permanently barred from flying.  But then I am of the camp that does not approve if flying off for vacations during a pandemic.

You would go homeless if you stayed home from work for ten days?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #9383 on: December 26, 2020, 03:32:33 PM »

Sounds like we agree on a lot.

I would add that any politician who called Covid a hoax should be banned from a vaccine until the end of the line.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #9384 on: December 26, 2020, 04:01:46 PM »
reinko, I am lucky enough to not be in that position. But many many other people are not so lucky. And as we know, ten days means you were either asymptomatic, or very mild. Any sicker than that, you could be out longer. I’m just saying, I hope I would do the right thing, but who knows?
And we have already seen the reports about places like meatpacking plants where taking time off was actively discouraged.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #9385 on: December 26, 2020, 04:03:44 PM »
reinko, I am lucky enough to not be in that position. But many many other people are not so lucky. And as we know, ten days means you were either asymptomatic, or very mild. Any sicker than that, you could be out longer. I’m just saying, I hope I would do the right thing, but who knows?
And we have already seen the reports about places like meatpacking plants where taking time off was actively discouraged.

I agree with you.  If we could agree on what we wanted business, govt and people could control this much better. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9386 on: December 26, 2020, 04:04:58 PM »

Hence why corporations are chomping at the bit to get liability protections.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9387 on: December 26, 2020, 05:02:35 PM »
Hence why corporations are chomping at the bit to get liability protections.

Yep. They want to be able to discriminate against sick people without facing any legal consequences.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #9388 on: December 26, 2020, 06:00:20 PM »
This confirms some working theories if it holds up in review. Essentially earlier response by natural or synthetic antibodies the better result. 

https://twitter.com/virusesimmunity/status/1342898928497418240?s=21

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #9389 on: December 26, 2020, 07:46:14 PM »
Can you perhaps summarize it in English lol?
Does it say basically that if you develops a lot of antibodies early, you have a better outcome? Does this mean that giving monoclonal antibodies early on might be very helpful?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #9390 on: December 26, 2020, 07:59:04 PM »
Can you perhaps summarize it in English lol?
Does it say basically that if you develops a lot of antibodies early, you have a better outcome? Does this mean that giving monoclonal antibodies early on might be very helpful?

This virologist is gathering the actual data that shows that our bodies response is determining the outcome of this disease. It has come brick by brick but I wouldn’t bet against her identifying the why a person responds negatively or in a long haul manner to this disease.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #9391 on: December 26, 2020, 09:02:03 PM »

And that justifies spreading a known deadly pathogen that has (so far) killed at least 7 people?

There are food banks, there is a moratorium on evictions...and there is no justification for this.

It's hard for some people to accept this sort of help because they aren't "part of that sort of group". It isn't as simple as you saying "well there was an option to eat so they shouldn't go try and earn a paycheck'. People don't operate like that.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #9392 on: December 26, 2020, 09:02:47 PM »
It's hard for some people to accept this sort of help because they aren't "part of that sort of group". It isn't as simple as you saying "well there was an option to eat so they shouldn't go try and earn a paycheck'. People don't operate like that.

People are also being told day in and day out this isn't serious.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9393 on: December 26, 2020, 09:17:39 PM »

Sounds like you are trying really hard to justify this.

It isn’t a bad cold or the flu; it’s a once-in-a-century global pandemic that has already killed hundreds of thousands in the US alone. And the article said he “knowingly” went to work sick. So yeah, I get that sometimes “it’s hard,” but these actions are so clearly wrong that there is no excuse.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #9394 on: December 26, 2020, 10:39:20 PM »
People are also being told day in and day out this isn't serious.

By a madman and his lackeys.

They are told it is extremely serious every single day by scientists and rational adults.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #9395 on: December 27, 2020, 02:47:28 AM »

Sounds like you are trying really hard to justify this.

It isn’t a bad cold or the flu; it’s a once-in-a-century global pandemic that has already killed hundreds of thousands in the US alone. And the article said he “knowingly” went to work sick. So yeah, I get that sometimes “it’s hard,” but these actions are so clearly wrong that there is no excuse.

I’m not justifying s***. How many people
Have died from asymptomatic spread? We should find those people who unknowingly spread and prosecute them too. It sets a bad precedent trying to prosecute someone for something like this.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9396 on: December 27, 2020, 07:37:27 AM »
Agreed.   Prosecution is a bad idea.    What are we going to do, fill the prisons with people who didn't take COVID precautions?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 09:43:18 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9397 on: December 27, 2020, 09:35:34 AM »
I’m not justifying s***. How many people
Have died from asymptomatic spread? We should find those people who unknowingly spread and prosecute them too. It sets a bad precedent trying to prosecute someone for something like this.

There is a dramatic legal (and moral/ethical) difference between 'knowingly' and 'unknowingly' causing harm. I didn't think I had to explain that here....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9398 on: December 27, 2020, 09:47:38 AM »
I hear you, goooo, but I feel that is a slippery slope argument.  Because the next step will be trying to prosecute those who knew and did nothing.   I rarely come down on the side of corporations, but I understand why this exact argument was a sticking point in the relief bill negotiations.  And it isn't that I side with them, but I certainly see their side.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9399 on: December 27, 2020, 10:10:27 AM »
I hear you, goooo, but I feel that is a slippery slope argument.  Because the next step will be trying to prosecute those who knew and did nothing.   I rarely come down on the side of corporations, but I understand why this exact argument was a sticking point in the relief bill negotiations.  And it isn't that I side with them, but I certainly see their side.

I see their side too, but I don't agree with it. And if we let the slippery slope guide everything, we would rarely prosecute anyone....