collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129864 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #8350 on: September 18, 2020, 07:23:48 AM »
The beat article I've read yet on the rona.

Factual, non-political, and in people terms.

https://elemental.medium.com/amp/p/30430384e5a5?source=social.tw&__twitter_impression=true

Can we all declare that listening to VanWingen is 'dumb and dangerous'?

Of all the life improving learning since the depths of March, learning that surfaces not a major risk is right up there.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8351 on: September 18, 2020, 07:46:54 AM »

https://elemental.medium.com/amp/p/30430384e5a5?source=social.tw&__twitter_impression=true

Wear a mask.  Social distance. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8352 on: September 18, 2020, 08:30:40 AM »

Good find, Ziggy.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #8353 on: September 18, 2020, 08:40:53 AM »
https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3563.full?ijkey=fb7IwiBWN21zMIF&keytype=ref

Interesting study showing possible partial immunity in larger chunk of population then previously thought.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8354 on: September 18, 2020, 09:32:47 AM »

Wear a mask.  Social distance.

Science isn't settled, scientists are reassessing this every day.

Offers some perspective on the ups and downs and changes in direction of the last 6 months.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8355 on: September 18, 2020, 09:47:04 AM »
Science isn't settled, scientists are reassessing this every day.

Offers some perspective on the ups and downs and changes in direction of the last 6 months.

Absolutely right. But based on what we know today, those are still the best tools most people have to mitigate their chances of getting the virus.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8356 on: September 18, 2020, 11:30:33 AM »
This is an article on who to follow on Twitter for good COVID info.  These people are, well people, so if you are offended by non Covid opinions some may not be what you are looking for.  That being said I started following a good portion of these folks a few months ago and feel much better informed for it. 

https://elemental.medium.com/50-experts-to-trust-in-a-pandemic-fe58932950e7

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8357 on: September 18, 2020, 02:23:00 PM »
I said it to MUGURU when he asked what could have been done differently and I say it again now.

Putting Jared in charge of the response may have been the worst decision of all.

Government doesn't have a role?

Let the states and market decide?

Wow.

Can you imagine that kind of response on 12/7/41 or 9/11/01?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #8358 on: September 18, 2020, 02:26:54 PM »
I said it to MUGURU when he asked what could have been done differently and I say it again now.

Putting Jared in charge of the response may have been the worst decision of all.

Government doesn't have a role?

Let the states and market decide?

Wow.

Can you imagine that kind of response on 12/7/41 or 9/11/01?
Secretary of Failure

Intercepting PPP that individual states paid for and then putting up to the highest bidder? Criminal.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8359 on: September 18, 2020, 02:38:53 PM »
Email evidence of some pretty nasty harassment of career CDC scientists by political appointees.

Emails Detail Effort to Silence C.D.C. and Question Its Science

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/18/us/politics/trump-cdc-coronavirus.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

At the same time, Mr. Caputo moved to punish the C.D.C.’s communications team for granting interviews to NPR and attempting to help a CNN reporter reach him about a public-relations campaign. Current and former C.D.C. officials called it a five-month campaign of bullying and intimidation.

For instance, after Mr. Caputo forwarded the critique of Dr. Schuchat to Dr. Redfield, C.D.C. officials became concerned when a member of the health department’s White House liaison office — Catherine Granito — called the agency to ask questions about Dr. Schuchat’s biography, leaving the impression that some in Washington could have been searching for ways to fire her.

In another instance, Mr. Caputo wrote to C.D.C. communications officials on July 15 to demand they turn over the name of the press officer who approved a series of interviews between NPR and a longtime C.D.C. epidemiologist, after the department in Washington had moved to take ownership of the agency’s pandemic data collection.

“I need to know who did it,” Mr. Caputo wrote. A day later, still without a reply, Mr. Caputo wrote back. “I have not received a response to my email for 20 hours. This is unacceptable,” he said. “I need this information to properly manage department communications. If you disobey my directions, you will be held accountable.”

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8360 on: September 18, 2020, 04:55:44 PM »
This is an article on who to follow on Twitter for good COVID info.  These people are, well people, so if you are offended by non Covid opinions some may not be what you are looking for.  That being said I started following a good portion of these folks a few months ago and feel much better informed for it. 

https://elemental.medium.com/50-experts-to-trust-in-a-pandemic-fe58932950e7

was looking pretty good until i got to tedros adhanom ghebreyesus, then i lost my appetite. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #8361 on: September 20, 2020, 08:19:14 AM »
NY Times Front Page 100,000 Dead Bodies vs 200,000 Dead Bodies.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #8362 on: September 20, 2020, 08:55:03 AM »
NY Times Front Page 100,000 Dead Bodies vs 200,000 Dead Bodies.

I think that people are underestimating how bad this winter is going to be. I expect there to be more lockdowns, and hopefully the first vestiges of a competent federal response to this crisis.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8363 on: September 20, 2020, 09:33:39 AM »
I think that people are underestimating how bad this winter is going to be. I expect there to be more lockdowns, and hopefully the first vestiges of a competent federal response to this crisis.

Agreed. We have made progress in what we know about the virus and how to treat it...but:

We know the virus spreads more rapidly inside, and we are just getting to the part of the year where people spend more time inside. We know masks decrease the spread, but a substantial portion of the population still refuses to wear them. We know large social gatherings are a particular problem, but house parties and motorcycle rallies (Sturgis last month, Lake of the Ozarks this weekend) continue to occur. And the numbers are rapidly climbing in the upper midwest before we see even the first frost.

We are already seeing round 2 of the lockdown in Israel, and many places in the EU that had the virus contained are contemplating new restrictions.

And the vaccines that some originally said might come before the end of the year are now likely to begin in mid-2021 if things go well...and will likely take 2 or 3 spread out doses to achieve some reasonable level of immunity.

I wish there were reasons for more optimism, but leadership failures combined with human behavior have given little hope for improvement over the winter.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8364 on: September 20, 2020, 02:25:35 PM »
Mayo launches nationwide COVID-19 prediction machine

https://www.postbulletin.com/newsmd/coronavirus/6666002-Mayo-launches-nationwide-COVID-19-prediction-machine

The new Mayo Clinic tracking website in question has no unique, catchy name. But if its claims to accuracy bear out, the health system's new COVID-19 forecasting tool has the potential to leap past all other dashboards hoping to connect consumers with the best information about the virus.

That's because the new website at mayoclinic.org/coronavirus-covid-19 -- see, it wasn't catchy -- does more than rewrite the latest reports out of the CDC, or even react to events in the news.

Instead, it taps into the clinic's locally predictive mathematical modelling software for the virus, then applies those calculations to the latest testing data from every county across the nation.

On top of all that, it packages its predictions all alongside the latest in Mayo-vetted information about the virus. If you haven't noticed, getting trusted information about COVID-19 has been no socially distanced walk in the park.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavirus-covid-19

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #8365 on: September 20, 2020, 04:07:45 PM »

Talked to the HS trainer here in town last week and he read about a study done by yale on the impact of covid to the flu and other virus' that might be out there.  The study showed that the body can only get infected with 1 virus and when that leaves it stimulates the antibodies to fight off another virus.  So we will see nobody really knows anything at this point

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8366 on: September 20, 2020, 05:20:53 PM »
Talked to the HS trainer here in town last week and he read about a study done by yale on the impact of covid to the flu and other virus' that might be out there.  The study showed that the body can only get infected with 1 virus and when that leaves it stimulates the antibodies to fight off another virus.  So we will see nobody really knows anything at this point

Do you have a link to that study?  I’ve always heard it is absolutely possible to be infected by two viruses at once. 

Maybe Forgetful or Gooo can correct my non scientific impression

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8367 on: September 20, 2020, 06:15:34 PM »
I would like to see the article too. As for the premise that the body can only be infected with one virus at a time, ask anyone who has herpes or HIV (which are with a person for life) whether they ever got the flu or a cold afterwards. Answer: people can get infected with multiple viruses.

That said, there is some research to indicate that having one virus (like the cold) might make you less susceptible to another (like the flu). It is unclear why, but theories range from the infection putting your immune system into overdrive, to the simple fact that once you get one illness you are less likely to go out and catch the other. Again the research I am aware of does not say it is impossible to catch another virus, just that it is less likely. Here is one such study from about a year ago.

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/52/27142

Perhaps there is something that Yale researchers found to add to this, but if they indeed discovered that it was impossible to be co-infected with the flu and Covid at the same time, it would have made headlines everywhere.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 06:18:18 PM by GooooMarquette »

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #8368 on: September 20, 2020, 06:22:14 PM »
I would like to see the article too. As for the premise that the body can only be infected with one virus at a time, ask anyone who has herpes or HIV (which are with a person for life) whether they ever got the flu or a cold afterwards. Answer: people can get infected with multiple viruses.

That said, there is some research to indicate that having one virus (like the cold) might make you less susceptible to another (like the flu). It is unclear why, but theories range from the infection putting your immune system into overdrive, to the simple fact that once you get one illness you are less likely to go out and catch the other. Again the research I am aware of does not say it is impossible to catch another virus, just that it is less likely. Here is one such study from about a year ago.

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/52/27142

Perhaps there is something that Yale researchers found to add to this, but if they indeed discovered that it was impossible to be co-infected with the flu and Covid at the same time, it would have made headlines everywhere.

Do not have the article but he mentioned the test was with covid and H1N1.  Like you said it put the immune system in overdrive.  The reasoning was because they are both upper respiratory.  I will reach abck and and see if he can send me what he was reading

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8369 on: September 20, 2020, 06:52:11 PM »
Do not have the article but he mentioned the test was with covid and H1N1.  Like you said it put the immune system in overdrive.  The reasoning was because they are both upper respiratory.  I will reach abck and and see if he can send me what he was reading

That's very much different than "you can't get 2 viruses at the same time."

That would mean you couldn't be infected by HIV, Hepatitis, HPV or any number of other chronic viruses and also get the flu.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8370 on: September 20, 2020, 07:21:37 PM »
One other thing I didn’t mention above. Once you recover from a virus, you are again as susceptible to others as you were previously. Just think of all the times you’ve had a cold or flu, recovered, and a couple weeks later got a different cold or flu. So whatever ‘protection’ you get from one virus is limited.

Putting that into the context of the flu and Covid, you might get the flu, recover, and then be just as susceptible to Covid as you were previously.

Again, perhaps the Yale researchers found something more. But if this is all it is, it is hardly big news.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 07:30:55 PM by GooooMarquette »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #8371 on: September 21, 2020, 08:44:32 AM »

Gooo already hit on this, but you can absolutely have two viruses at the same time. And patients have already had co-infections of the flu and COVID. It is still unknown if having both at the same time has any affect on severity.

There is some data that suggest that prior infections or vaccinations may provide some benefit as it heightens the general immune response. There was some data suggesting that the old TB vaccine was providing some protection against COVID in this manner. But that data is very limited, so I remain skeptical.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #8372 on: September 21, 2020, 08:47:48 AM »
https://news.yale.edu/2020/09/04/common-cold-combats-influenza

The article referenced is likely this. Data suggesting that infection with a rhinovirus may decrease susceptibility to H1N1. Doctors make clear that there is no data on how this or if this would have any validity to COVID, as it is a completely different virus.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #8373 on: September 21, 2020, 10:36:41 AM »
One consideration for flu season is with so many people (especially kids) masked up, spread of the flu could be down.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8374 on: September 21, 2020, 11:02:49 AM »
One consideration for flu season is with so many people (especially kids) masked up, spread of the flu could be down.

My daughter saw her pediatrician the end of August and they offered the flu shot while she was there. 
The doctor said they expected a low flu year because everyone was wearing masks, extra hand sanitizing, and additional cleaning at most places.

feedback