collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129858 times)

injuryBug

• Team Captain
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #1350 on: March 16, 2020, 06:59:10 PM »
For those who are in an office setting... what have the policies/communication looked like from your company?

The company I work for has basically taken the stance that unless the authorities order offices to close, people are expected to come in. So far they are only allowing people to work from home 2 days/week if their job allows for it. I'm furious with our leadership on this. It's irresponsible and borderline dangerous.

Before I completely die on this hill at work, I'm just curious how common this is for companies (especially in MKE) to continue to expect people to work in the office.
Work for a company in Fondy with about 275 in office.  plenty had already telecommuted but the directive is now if you can do your job from home stay home.  We also have contractors on a large project from all over the country that have been told to not fly in until told otherwise.  So we are basically completely virtual. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 07:00:54 PM by injuryBug »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1351 on: March 16, 2020, 07:00:03 PM »
For those that were discussing NSAID's and Acetaminophen.....

For example, I have a relative with Leukemia as well as no RH Factor 7 for blod clotting. They are not allowed to have an aspirin. But they can have high doses of Acetaminophen daily as needed. acetaminophen helps reduce fevers. The average person could hypothetically take 3k to 4k daily safely.

When you get strong, acute short term pain, NSAIDS are the way to go. .....a few days etc...

For Coronavirus, flu etc...Acetaminophen helps reduce fevers. It also helps muscular aches etc...and as many know it takes a longer to work than NSAIDS....that and dry cough treatments can be helpful for mild symptoms.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1352 on: March 16, 2020, 07:06:16 PM »
Today I was given a prescription strength mouthwash before they did anything in my mouth.

Don't know what it is, but I was okay with it.

probably chlorhexidine-actually is ok tasting...better than peroxide
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1353 on: March 16, 2020, 07:09:05 PM »
I live in downtown Seattle. A couple weeks ago, the Bureau Chief of the LA Times told me that most everyone here had already been exposed to the virus.

Myself and many friends caught it. It's like a very mild flu - headache, body ache, low grade fever, dry cough, and lethargy.

We were all told that if there was a temperature spike or shortness of breath then get to a hospital. But otherwise, self quarantine while taking fluids and resting.

We all stayed home while continuing our work productivity. If you are fit, healthy, and maintain situational awareness it is the same as managing a cold. The elderly and those with immunity issues are the ones at risk.

The degree of hysteria around this is decidedly over the top.

The "degree of hysteria" perhaps helped get you and others with COVID-19 to self-quarantine so y'all don't infect the most at-risk people.

For example, is it "hysteria" to tell folks like you with it (if indeed you have/had it) to not go out to restaurants, bars and other public places, where you could easily infect those with compromised immune systems?

In all likelihood, 'Merica did not have enough "hysteria" the first several weeks after the coronavirus became an issue. Perhaps the "penalty" for that shortsightedness and dishonesty is more hysteria now.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 07:23:43 PM by rocky_warrior »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #1354 on: March 16, 2020, 07:11:40 PM »
Metra almost certain to switch to a modified schedule.

Likely will start Wednesday.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #1355 on: March 16, 2020, 07:16:26 PM »
I live in downtown Seattle. A couple weeks ago, the Bureau Chief of the LA Times told me that most everyone here had already been exposed to the virus.

Myself and many friends caught it. It's like a very mild flu - headache, body ache, low grade fever, dry cough, and lethargy.

We were all told that if there was a temperature spike or shortness of breath then get to a hospital. But otherwise, self quarantine while taking fluids and resting.

We all stayed home while continuing our work productivity. If you are fit, healthy, and maintain situational awareness it is the same as managing a cold. The elderly and those with immunity issues are the ones at risk.

My friend is relatively young, fit, etc and is past the 14 days.

Fever is long gone. Cough is mostly gone. Shortness of breath is getting better. The lethargy is just now starting to kick in.

Was that your experience as well? Lethargy follows everything else?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1356 on: March 16, 2020, 07:30:14 PM »
While this made me roll my eyes, it also made me wonder: what are food rendering, processing, and packaging plants doing?

Our brewery is still up and running production standpoint on essential output only. We've changed our packaging mix  and have gone to smaller shifts. Non-essential employee to the operations side of the business are all working from home though this has been done on a manager to manager basis and not a global directive. (We're part of a Global 1000 company with operations all over the planet including Wuhan). This was a given for me after I saw co-workers at out at bars on Saturday via instagram. We have very strict protocols in place where no one who doesn't work for the company is allowed on site. All employees must go to cleaning station as soon as the enter either building. We have daily briefing emails and are now using Zoom to conduct business.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1357 on: March 16, 2020, 07:33:31 PM »
Appreciate the responses, all. We're a manufacturer so that group is still running with distancing and sanitation practices in place.

Where I struggle is with the office staff and engineering groups. 90% of those people could work remotely with no problem.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1358 on: March 16, 2020, 07:36:14 PM »
800 employees in 2 offices in WI.  Mandatory WFH started today.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1359 on: March 16, 2020, 07:40:48 PM »

Thanks for sharing Keefe. Good luck on a full recovery.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1360 on: March 16, 2020, 07:42:11 PM »

For example, is it "hysteria" to tell folks like you with it (if indeed you have/had it) to not go out to restaurants, bars and other public places, where you could easily infect those with compromised immune systems?

This thinking should be standard for any communicable diseases.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1361 on: March 16, 2020, 08:01:12 PM »
Keefe,

Glad you are recovering, and that you had access to testing to verify what you have.

Goooo

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1362 on: March 16, 2020, 08:16:05 PM »
Ludum habemus.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #1363 on: March 16, 2020, 08:16:21 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dSQztKXR6k0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dSQztKXR6k0</a>

A short, informative clip.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #1364 on: March 16, 2020, 08:17:20 PM »

If it didn't dissolve, they would have internal memos, minutes of meetings, pandemic preparedness plans. It would be pretty easy for someone in the office to show them to the public if indeed they exist. And if it still exists, the administration would have talked about when the outbreak occurred. Instead, we are only reading about it after the fact, when rumors surfaced that it was simply abolished.

Edit: And Dr. Fauci at NIH - someone who would be in a position to know - told Congress that it was eliminated:

"We worked very well with that office. It would be nice if the office was still there," Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said during a House Oversight and Reform Committee hearing on Wednesday.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fauci-would-be-nice-trump-hadnt-scrapped-nsc-global-health-2020-3

Seems like Dr.Fauci is a person the average Joe can believe.

The WP article I shared had a link to a biodefese strategy published in 2018. So it does seem like the current group did have some kind of plan that likely influenced the US response. It just seems to have been inadequate or too slow.

As to Dr. Fauci, I would agree that he has become a trustworthy face of the crisis that the average American can believe. His motivations seem very straightforward; I don't see him as one to play politics.

Media members quoting him, on the other hand, may be a slightly less honest in their representation of his words. The AP article linked below shows a little longer version of the quote you shared that has a slightly different perspective included. The full quote is “It would be nice if the office was still there. I wouldn’t necessarily characterize it as a mistake (to eliminate the unit). I would say we worked very well with that office.” Of course that quote gives a nice snippet to "both sides" so I don't expect to see it many places outside the AP.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/National-Biodefense-Strategy.pdf

https://apnews.com/ce014d94b64e98b7203b873e56f80e9a
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 08:19:37 PM by skianth16 »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1365 on: March 16, 2020, 08:18:33 PM »
Keefe,

Glad you are recovering, and that you had access to testing to verify what you have.

Goooo

Where did he say this?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1366 on: March 16, 2020, 08:24:58 PM »
Seems to me we can go about this in 1 of 2 ways, and we haven't chosen either yet (and time is running out to pick one):

1. Pause everything. Social isolation/quarantine for 4-6 weeks. Complete shutdown of all social interaction. This includes 90% of working. So, we have to have a large, temporary safety net: Rent/mortgage/utilities/loan repayments are suspended; short-term UBI for necessities. And, because of the huge economic impact not working will have, we literally pause the stock market until things begin running again.

In this scenario, we're accepting short-term restraint and hardship and the payout is decreased lives lost.

2. Stop nothing. Society functions as normal. Schools open. Everyone works. Economy and employment continue at full-tilt.

In this scenario, we're accepting increased deaths but hopefully only to the susceptible. We quickly allow this to move through society and have pre-planned categories for who gets serious medical intervention vs observation/acceptance. Payout is (mostly) consistent economic output.

I don't honestly see how we can go halfway between the two without a total clusterunnatural carnal knowledge

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1367 on: March 16, 2020, 08:37:43 PM »

thanks for sharing crash!  keep our economy pumpin!

on another note-just printed out my boarding pass-SWA -if i get on that bad boy, i am fully aware i may be driving back 1900 miles, but my bride needs her husband's support.  i'll let ya'll know, or whoever really cares, if i make it.

one more thing about the greatness of MU-i've been corresponding with the new advancement team at MUSOD.  we are trying to arrange a meet n greet, but between this virus thingy and our schedules, we've had to change it a few times.  i've never met this lady...yet, but her last note to me was,

"I’m not sure if you are spiritual or religious, but I attached a prayer that came across my desk this morning."

i told her hell yeah and it's traveling with me down to phoenix!  now that's the difference!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1368 on: March 16, 2020, 08:39:16 PM »

Where did he say this?

Looking back, I guess he didn’t directly say “I tested positive for covid-19.” However he did say:

“I live in downtown Seattle. A couple weeks ago, the Bureau Chief of the LA Times told me that most everyone here had already been exposed to the virus.

Myself and many friends caught it.“

Since this thread is about covid-19, that clearly would be “it.” And since the only way to know for sure that he had “it” (as opposed to the flu) would be through a positive test result, I trusted that he was being straightforward with us. I suppose he could just be guessing (or lying), but would like to believe otherwise.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1369 on: March 16, 2020, 08:50:06 PM »
Seems to me we can go about this in 1 of 2 ways, and we haven't chosen either yet (and time is running out to pick one):

1. Pause everything. Social isolation/quarantine for 4-6 weeks. Complete shutdown of all social interaction. This includes 90% of working. So, we have to have a large, temporary safety net: Rent/mortgage/utilities/loan repayments are suspended; short-term UBI for necessities. And, because of the huge economic impact not working will have, we literally pause the stock market until things begin running again.

In this scenario, we're accepting short-term restraint and hardship and the payout is decreased lives lost.

2. Stop nothing. Society functions as normal. Schools open. Everyone works. Economy and employment continue at full-tilt.

In this scenario, we're accepting increased deaths but hopefully only to the susceptible. We quickly allow this to move through society and have pre-planned categories for who gets serious medical intervention vs observation/acceptance. Payout is (mostly) consistent economic output.

I don't honestly see how we can go halfway between the two without a total clusterunnatural carnal knowledge

In general, I agree, and think we should go for #1.

However, we need to have a sound plan for necessities, like making sure everyone has access to food and medications. Maybe that means people go out for it, or maybe we develop a robust delivery apparatus.

Additionally, I think there should be a narrow and clearly defined exception for asymptomatic people to get outside. Nature is good for both physical and mental health, so it would seem reasonable to let very small groups (individuals, couples) go out for a walk or a run or a bike ride. Maybe a strict limit in number of people together or something, arrested on site if in a bigger group. It just seems like that would be good for health, morale and sanity...and perhaps increase compliance.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1370 on: March 16, 2020, 08:57:41 PM »
thanks for sharing crash!  keep our economy pumpin!

on another note-just printed out my boarding pass-SWA -if i get on that bad boy, i am fully aware i may be driving back 1900 miles, but my bride needs her husband's support.  i'll let ya'll know, or whoever really cares, if i make it.

one more thing about the greatness of MU-i've been corresponding with the new advancement team at MUSOD.  we are trying to arrange a meet n greet, but between this virus thingy and our schedules, we've had to change it a few times.  i've never met this lady...yet, but her last note to me was,

"I’m not sure if you are spiritual or religious, but I attached a prayer that came across my desk this morning."

i told her hell yeah and it's traveling with me down to phoenix!  now that's the difference!

Hope you have a safe flight Rocket, and hope all is well with your wife. Please be careful while traveling, and take precautions to reduce exposure.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1371 on: March 16, 2020, 09:12:38 PM »
Hope you have a safe flight Rocket, and hope all is well with your wife. Please be careful while traveling, and take precautions to reduce exposure.

thank you forget!!  8-)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1372 on: March 16, 2020, 09:27:14 PM »
just watchin laura ingraham-had a dr on talking about 2 drugs-chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine.  have been around since WWII.    double blind studies showed good efficacy to shorten the length of illness and decrease it's symptoms.  also can be used prophylactically to diminish symptoms.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1373 on: March 16, 2020, 09:34:26 PM »
In general, I agree, and think we should go for #1.

However, we need to have a sound plan for necessities, like making sure everyone has access to food and medications. Maybe that means people go out for it, or maybe we develop a robust delivery apparatus.

IMO, if we do this, the number of businesses that will fail leaving people/families jobless would easily dwarf the number of possible deaths due to Covid.  You have a large number of companies, including my own, who are or have become heavily dependent on China/Asia for either sales or logistical/manufacturing/etc... they’ve been hurting for a long time, which came to a head when China shut down for a month during a normally high volume time, right as it seemed like they would make back some of the trade war time losses as China revved up a bit. So you take those stretched businesses and have them shutter for a month. Good night. Companies in the $2-$10MM annual range that haven’t had a great start to 2020 will be torched.  Forgive me for thinking that a nanny state government program set up for that situation will help at all.

Restaurant staff will be pummeled as well.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1374 on: March 16, 2020, 09:36:45 PM »
IMO, if we do this, the number of businesses that will fail leaving people/families jobless would easily dwarf the number of possible deaths due to Covid.  You have a large number of companies, including my own, who are or have become heavily dependent on China/Asia for either sales or logistical/manufacturing/etc... they’ve been hurting for a long time, which came to a head when China shut down for a month during a normally high volume time, right as it seemed like they would make back some of the trade war time losses as China revved up a bit. So you take those stretched businesses and have them shutter for a month. Good night. Companies in the $2-$10MM annual range that haven’t had a great start to 2020 will be torched.  Forgive me for thinking that a nanny state government program set up for that situation will help at all.

Restaurant staff will be pummeled as well.

Well, there’s always jesmu84’s option #2....

Half measures aren’t likely to cut it, and will probably eventually get us to #1 anyway (see Italy...or the USA from one day to the next).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 09:39:14 PM by GooooMarquette »