collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129852 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #1200 on: March 15, 2020, 06:01:32 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/5052788002

Some hope but I think these are months away.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1201 on: March 15, 2020, 06:08:11 PM »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1202 on: March 15, 2020, 06:09:07 PM »
Having seen the press conference today, my take away is that we are a long ways from getting a handle on this from the standpoint of testing.

Testing is still going to be rationed for what sounds like 2-weeks to first responders and the elderly, or critically sick. That means that the garden variety illness will still be out there, undetected, and possibly circulating virus, spreading it further.

That means we are at the mercy of people following extreme social distancing to stem a massive growth of this illness.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1203 on: March 15, 2020, 06:27:37 PM »
That means we are at the mercy of people following extreme social distancing to stem a massive growth of this illness.
"Rep. Devin Nunes of California urged Americans to go out and visit bars and restaurants on Sunday, amid mounting calls by experts for people to avoid public gatherings to avoid spreading coronavirus, which causes the disease COVID-19."
https://news.yahoo.com/local-pub-while-experts-call-182229550.html

Well that's helpful.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1204 on: March 15, 2020, 06:32:44 PM »
"Rep. Devin Nunes of California urged Americans to go out and visit bars and restaurants on Sunday, amid mounting calls by experts for people to avoid public gatherings to avoid spreading coronavirus, which causes the disease COVID-19."

Well that's helpful.

I believe CA closed all bars and restaurants and only allow delivery, takeout, and drive through.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1205 on: March 15, 2020, 06:33:15 PM »

Well that's helpful.

Consider who his idol is.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1206 on: March 15, 2020, 06:34:02 PM »
CDC recommends no public gatherings of 50+ for the next 8 weeks.

I think June looks like the best case for baseball. Not sure what the NBA and NHL will do.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1207 on: March 15, 2020, 06:36:09 PM »
Having seen the press conference today, my take away is that we are a long ways from getting a handle on this from the standpoint of testing.

Testing is still going to be rationed for what sounds like 2-weeks to first responders and the elderly, or critically sick. That means that the garden variety illness will still be out there, undetected, and possibly circulating virus, spreading it further.

You're probably right...but there appear to be regions where lower-risk people can get tested if they're symptomatic.

Just one relevant data point - I know of a twenty-sonething kid in rural Iowa who developed a sore throat and dry scratchy cough, and he got tested yesterday. Didn't hear the results, but I sure hope the kid tests negative...among other things, because he works in retail and has had contact with LOTS of people lately.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1208 on: March 15, 2020, 06:40:23 PM »
Fed just cut interest rate by a full point in an attempt to avert economic collapse....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/15/business/economy/federal-reserve-coronavirus.html

And 700 billion in  QE

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1209 on: March 15, 2020, 06:41:27 PM »
My hospital - and most in state of Indiana - have suspended elective surgeries.

Unprecedented

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #1210 on: March 15, 2020, 06:42:13 PM »

Well that's helpful.

This doesn't help either:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/15/politics/oklahoma-governor-deleted-tweet-coronavirus/index.html

I found this simulator interesting:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1211 on: March 15, 2020, 06:52:37 PM »
If this virus happened under any other president in history, it would be a no-brainer. But these are dire times.

Still, I'll be shocked if it isn't postponed by midday tomorrow.

I believe it would be Pritzker’s decision (?). It seems contradictory to have restaurants/bars close (dine in) and yet have people at polling places (especially older people). Two other states postponed, I’m not sure why Illinois is hell bent on having Tuesday be voting day.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1212 on: March 15, 2020, 07:19:49 PM »
At least get it right if you are going to fly off the handle about politics.  Dish is talking about IL.

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #1213 on: March 15, 2020, 07:22:17 PM »
At least get it right if you are going to fly off the handle about politics.  Dish is talking about IL.

Sorry
What is someone supposed to take from "This Administration"

Also.

I really believe
Trump
Democrats
Media

All really let us down.  This was an issue in early January...
They were all fighting over impeachment instead.

A$$clowns all of them...
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1214 on: March 15, 2020, 07:25:46 PM »
Barely the Chinese fully appreciated what they had on 1/15.  Just take a breath man.  It is a fact that one party controls the bureaucracy.  So there will be stones thrown.   Were all in this together.  Good news is that everyone is now taking this seriously and the Dr’s seem to be directing the policy recommendations.   

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1215 on: March 15, 2020, 07:27:05 PM »

You're probably right...but there appear to be regions where lower-risk people can get tested if they're symptomatic.

Just one relevant data point - I know of a twenty-sonething kid in rural Iowa who developed a sore throat and dry scratchy cough, and he got tested yesterday. Didn't hear the results, but I sure hope the kid tests negative...among other things, because he works in retail and has had contact with LOTS of people lately.

I'm afraid that there are very poor policies and guidance on these issues, so it will be a very random process, highly dependent on where you live.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1216 on: March 15, 2020, 07:33:14 PM »
Sorry
What is someone supposed to take from "This Administration"

Also.

I really believe
Trump
Democrats
Media

All really let us down.  This was an issue in early January...
They were all fighting over impeachment instead.

A$$clowns all of them...

We're trying to leave political finger pointing out of it.  But if you really think Trump is the politician  who has handled this the best - well, you're clueless.  But we agree, they're all assclowns, it's just that the assclown at the top gets the most criticism - much like a head coach does.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1217 on: March 15, 2020, 07:38:01 PM »
But we agree, they're all assclowns, it's just that the assclown at the top gets the most criticism - much like a head coach does.

Except Xi.  For some reason there isn’t anyone around that criticizes him. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1218 on: March 15, 2020, 07:41:48 PM »
I believe it would be Pritzker’s decision (?). It seems contradictory to have restaurants/bars close (dine in) and yet have people at polling places (especially older people). Two other states postponed, I’m not sure why Illinois is hell bent on having Tuesday be voting day.

Because Illinois.
Have some patience, FFS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1219 on: March 15, 2020, 07:47:30 PM »
My hospital - and most in state of Indiana - have suspended elective surgeries.

Unprecedented

NYC just enacted the same this afternoon

I think June looks like the best case for baseball. Not sure what the NBA and NHL will do.

I don’t know about the NHL, but there has been chatter for a long time about the NBA starting later and ending later, avoiding more head to head matchups with football. Postponing the season and carrying it out through the summer would be a really interesting test of that potential viability.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1220 on: March 15, 2020, 07:56:21 PM »

I agree with all you say here, Dish.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1221 on: March 15, 2020, 08:01:44 PM »

Not necessarily defending the decision, but there's a vastly significant difference between a person's experience in a polling place and a person's experience in a bar or restaurant. Most people - especially in a primary when turnout is very low - are in and out of their polling place in a matter of minutes, with little to no close contact with others.
On the other hand, people sit in bars and restaurants for hours at a time, usually surrounded by many others, touching multiple surfaces, using restrooms and often touching or exchanging glasses, plates, money, etc.

A case can be made for postponing the primary, I suppose, but that doesn't logically follow the restaurant bar closings. Rather, the polling place is much more akin to picking up food from a deliveryman or drive-through window - which will continue in Illinois - than it is sitting down for a meal or happy hour.

FWIW, it's not just Illinois. Ohio, Florida and Arizona also are holding primaries Tuesday.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1222 on: March 15, 2020, 08:09:10 PM »
Someone in Omaha who just tested positive for Coronavirus attended both the Creighton/Georgetown and Creighton/Seton Hall games last weeks so that's really comforting. Also reminds me that the last game of the regular season was JUST 8 days ago. Felt like a month ago.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1223 on: March 15, 2020, 08:09:21 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1224 on: March 15, 2020, 08:19:03 PM »
We're trying to leave political finger pointing out of it.  But if you really think Trump is the politician  who has handled this the best - well, you're clueless.

An absolute disaster from the get-go: downplaying the coronavirus; repeatedly lying about its potential effect on Americans and our economy; doubling-down whenever challenged with facts;  negating his own experts' opinions, often at the same press conference

Rocky's edit: I realize I'm enabling here.  But hey, don't go overboard.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 08:23:02 PM by rocky_warrior »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson