Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:36:07 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:25:35 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Darrlyn Willis - Juco PF 2016  (Read 48327 times)

Boone

• All American
Re: Darrlyn Willis - Juco PF 2016
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2015, 09:31:56 PM »
   Says he's a Wichita St. lean. Next...

Name: Darrlyn Willis
    Classification: Sophomore
    Junior College: Pearl River Community College
    High School: Madison Memorial (Madison, Wisconsin)
    Position: Forward
    HT-WT: 6-foot-9, 220
    Colleges of Interest: Arizona State, Louisiana Tech, Marquette, Memphis, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Pittsburgh, UT-Martin, Wichita State

"I am visiting Mississippi State this weekend," said Willis. "I've already visited Wichita State. After Mississippi State I have Marquette, then Arizona State, then Oklahoma State. I will make my decision after that."

He explained when Mississippi State got involved in his recruitment.

"Mississippi State got involved when all the schools started coming in," said Willis. "(Mississippi State assistant) Coach (George) Brooks is recruiting me. He said he really likes my game. Then, the head coach (Ben Howland) came in to see me practice and he liked my game a lot. They are recruiting me pretty hard now."

Prior to them recruiting him, he knew very little about the school.

"To be honest to you I am new to down here so I had never heard about Mississippi State," said Willis. "I have watched them on tv. But I am new to everything down here because I am a up north guy."

He does know about head man Ben Howland. And he is impressed.

"Coach Howland has a pretty long resume," said Willis. "Coach Brooks told me about all the achievements that he has, all the players that he has sent to the NBA."

He pointed out why he decided to add Mississippi State to his official visit list.

"I decided to visit them because they have done a pretty good job of recruiting me," said Willis. "But they really got me when they said they are losing five starters next year. I can come in and be an instant impact guy. I have two years left. I'm trying to make it just like the guys who are coming out of high school."

Like with all the schools that he is visiting, he has several things that he will look at while on his official visit.

"I am looking to see if I am going to get along with the players, see if I like it on the campus, see how the coach coaches, if it is a good environment," noted Willis. "I want to be around good people. I want to be around people that are going to help me excel."

Although he still has four visits to take, one school has really impressed Willis.

"I am leaning to Wichita State," he said. "I like them a lot. (Head Coach) Greg Marshall is a really cool coach. I like him a lot. I like the entire coaching staff a lot. I like all of the players that are coming back next year. I like the strength coach a lot as well. And I can go in there and be an instant impact as well."

He explained why he hasn't committed to them despite liking them a great deal.

"I didn't commit to them because I wanted to give everybody a fair chance," said Willis. "I don't want to go to a school and commit right away. That defeats the purpose. I want to see who wants me really badly. I don't want to be a backup man for them. I want to be at the top of the billboard with them. I want to know that they really need me. I don't want it to be like we didn't get this guy so let's go get Darral."

Last season Willis was a first-team All-MACJC selection and an All-Region 23 selection after averaging 13.8 points per game, hitting 62.6 percent from the field and 75.5 percent at the foul line. He also pulled down a team-high 7.1 rebounds per game. He helped lead his team to a 25-5 overall record and a MACJC state championship.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2015, 09:39:05 PM »
I think I'm pretty relaxed. But it's clear that our recruiting under Wojo has come back down to reality. After seemingly landing every top target he had, we have missed out on all the grad transfers and guys like Amir Coffey and Lamar Stevens, I think it's safe to say that the luster isn't what it was a year ago.

There's nothing wrong with losing recruiting battles. Any coach will lose more than they win. But right now, this team has a desperate need for a rebounder and has for quite awhile, and every candidate out there seems to be taking other offers. It's been a decent stretch since we had a recruiting win, 5 months since Hauser and Rowsey committed within a day of each other.

I'd like to see this staff get back on the winning side of the recruiting battles. Especially at a position of need.

Define "come back down to reality."  We have 2 scholarships to give out for next season.  1 of them is filled by a top 100 and rising kid.  We don't know what we're going to get with the next 1.  If we get another top 100 kid, a good grad transfer, or a good JUCO transfer...well, I don't know what I would say that is.  So far Wojo has 1 recruiting class and it is stellar.  If he follows it up with a 2nd recruiting class is both a good fit and highly thought of, maybe "reality" is that Wojo can recruit as well as we've seen in a really, really long time.

We also don't know what we have in terms of rebounding.  Heldt won't play much, but he if there's one thing he can contribute it's his ability to rebound the basketball.  By the time a player comes in next year, Heldt will have a year up within the program on whoever that may be.  Hank may not jump out of the gym, but he can rebound the basketball.  Luke was injured last year so while he was unimpressive in that phase of the game, we'll see how he looks with a healthy 2 arms to work with.  Traci can rebound the ball for a guard, which is what can be the difference between a good rebounding team and a bad rebounding team (if you have guards who can rebound).  Sacar will be a good rebounder, and Wally and Sandy might be for their positions, too.  I'll go ahead and say this and putting the basketball in the bucket will be the 2 most improved aspects of our team this year.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 09:44:47 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2015, 07:19:13 AM »
With regards to Willis, wanting to be the guy with his 'name up on the billboard' marketing the program isn't happening here.  Don't mean to clue you in young man and not in any way diminishing your skills.  ::)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2015, 07:30:44 AM »
Next man up, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2015, 09:02:33 AM »
Define "come back down to reality."

Wojo's first year of recruiting was pretty surreal. He retained Cohen, then landed arguably the best graduate transfer in the country in Matt Carlino. As soon as he starts on the 2015 class, it seems we immediately get Heldt. Next thing you know, we've got a top-100 kid from Florida and a McDonald's All-American in the fold.

With two holes to fill, Wojo first turns north to Minnesota and lands the top player in the state in Anim, prying him away from the home school of Minnesota and the Northern Iowa team that had been on him since forever. Then Wojo goes into Philly (a place MU had largely been blacklisted from) and lands a PG in Traci Carter that was targeted by UConn and NC State, among others, in what seemed to be about a month of dedicated recruiting.

For his first year, Wojo was darn near bulletproof when it came to recruiting. There were a couple guys he went after and didn't get, but it seemed when he zeroed in on a target, it was only a matter of time before they committed.

Now we are seeing guys go elsewhere, we are losing recruiting battles for players we were at one point or another favored for, we are coming back down to reality. I hope we have rebounding in this team, but last year we were a terrible rebounding team and we lost our two best rebounders in Anderson and Taylor along with our two best rebounding guards in Derrick and Carlino. I sincerely hope there's improvement in that regard, but going into this year it looks to be a weakness of this team. Nothing wrong with having a weakness, but it's one more reason we could really use someone who is regarded for their rebounding ability like Stevens or Willis.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2015, 09:12:35 AM »
   Says he's a Wichita St. lean. Next...

"I am visiting Mississippi State this weekend," said Willis. "I've already visited Wichita State. After Mississippi State I have Marquette, then Arizona State, then Oklahoma State. I will make my decision after that."

He says he's leaning toward Wichita State right now, but that's the only place he's visited.  At least let him make all his visits before we decide if he's gone.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2015, 09:44:56 AM »
Wojo's first year of recruiting was pretty surreal. He retained Cohen, then landed arguably the best graduate transfer in the country in Matt Carlino. As soon as he starts on the 2015 class, it seems we immediately get Heldt. Next thing you know, we've got a top-100 kid from Florida and a McDonald's All-American in the fold.

With two holes to fill, Wojo first turns north to Minnesota and lands the top player in the state in Anim, prying him away from the home school of Minnesota

Are you really prying someone away when they aren't even recruiting him?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2015, 11:14:49 AM »

More like prayed him away from Northwestern.....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2015, 12:21:26 PM »

Fair statement, Minnesota watched him, but never went all-in. Still, there was definitely an aura of invincibility around Wojo. Landed Heldt, Cheatham, and Henry in short order, then went out and filled out a five-man class at each position with a point and small forward. It seemed like a perfect storm. This year, a bit less so.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2015, 01:25:07 PM »
Now we are seeing guys go elsewhere, we are losing recruiting battles for players we were at one point or another favored for, we are coming back down to reality. I hope we have rebounding in this team, but last year we were a terrible rebounding team and we lost our two best rebounders in Anderson and Taylor along with our two best rebounding guards in Derrick and Carlino. I sincerely hope there's improvement in that regard, but going into this year it looks to be a weakness of this team. Nothing wrong with having a weakness, but it's one more reason we could really use someone who is regarded for their rebounding ability like Stevens or Willis.

I think you're being too hard on Wojo.  Because we had such a stellar class last year, this year's kids are looking at it and don't see an immediate role here for themselves. So they're choosing to go where they think they might nab a spot in the starting lineup right away.  If Henry goes after this year (for the record, I hope he doesn't, but I'm realistic) we may be able to pick up a top recruit in the spring, depending on how the team does.  And in 2017, incoming freshmen might see more opportunities at Marquette than next year.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2015, 06:13:41 PM »
I wouldn't write Marquette off in this one, just yet.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2015, 08:00:17 PM »
I wouldn't write Marquette off in this one, just yet.

You're the man Ted! Say hi to Lou Grant for me!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2015, 08:44:45 PM »
Cant be--he said he was a lean to a school after a visit so the next logical move is to forget about him--he gowne--next man up.
HS kids rarely (if ever) waiver from a lean, so we should just let him know hes not welcome.
I also heard he was going to a crapy football game......and he didnt even know the players.
How could he pull such a stunt?

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2015, 09:10:37 AM »
Did he ever visit?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2015, 09:12:40 AM »
Did he ever visit?

This upcoming weekend. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2015, 09:24:16 AM »
I like the fact that he worked in his Mississippi State visit before ours, so we are still his last visit.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2015, 09:59:48 AM »
I like the fact that he worked in his Mississippi State visit before ours, so we are still his last visit.

I think I read that he was committed to taking all 5 official visits.  Does MU's visit make 5?

And a little of mom's home cooking after a year living in a Juco double wide can't be a bad thing.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2015, 10:37:42 AM »
I think I read that he was committed to taking all 5 official visits.  Does MU's visit make 5?

And a little of mom's home cooking after a year living in a Juco double wide can't be a bad thing.

I stand corrected.  No, it doesn't, MU is number 3.  He'll has two more visits after MU scheduled, Arizona State and Oklahoma State.

It appears that Memphis is out of luck since he won't be visiting there.

Uh-oh...

'He pointed out why he decided to add Mississippi State to his official visit list.
"I decided to visit them because they have done a pretty good job of recruiting me," said Willis. "But they really got me when they said they are losing five starters next year. I can come in and be an instant impact guy. I have two years left. I'm trying to make it just like the guys who are coming out of high school."'

Oops...

"I want to see who wants me really badly. I don't want to be a backup man for them. I want to be at the top of the billboard with them. I want to know that they really need me. I don't want it to be like we didn't get this guy so let's go get Darral (sic)."

The Mark Miller and Jerry Meyer predictions (on 247Sports) that Willis was headed to MU predate the above remarks.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:51:04 AM by Crean to Ann Arbor »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2015, 11:04:23 AM »
"I want to be at the top of the billboard with them. I want to know that they really need me."

If he plays at MU next year, Willis' role will be primarily to rebound and defend. If he wants a starring role, he may be better served elsewhere.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2015, 11:10:20 AM »
If Henry leaves, the starting PF spot is wide open for Willis to take. Unless we plan to have Sandy, Sacar, and Wally manning the post. Gotta convince Willis that Henry is gone.... and then hope Henry comes back anyway :D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2015, 11:12:40 AM »
I think Willis could be an "instant impact" guy at Marquette next year.  As I mentioned earlier, there is no one of his type on the roster.  Even with HE coming back, I could see him playing a significant role if not starting.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2015, 11:16:07 AM »
I think Willis could be an "instant impact" guy at Marquette next year.  As I mentioned earlier, there is no one of his type on the roster.  Even with HE coming back, I could see him playing a significant role if not starting.

True. Even if Henry stays, I can see Willis carving out 15-20 minutes off the bench easy. Heldt is purely a 5 and Sacar/Wally/Sandy are much better at the 3.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2015, 11:21:23 AM »
True. Even if Henry stays, I can see Willis carving out 15-20 minutes off the bench easy. Heldt is purely a 5 and Sacar/Wally/Sandy are much better at the 3.

Agreed.  Wojo has playing time to sell. Maybe off bench but time nevertheless.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2015, 11:21:42 AM »

I can see a front line of Luke, Henry and Willis.  I think both Henry and Willis could guard small. 

That being said, I think if the guy wants to maximize his minutes, MSU is probably as good a place as any.  No doubt that he would likely get more there than at MU.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2015, 11:29:10 AM »

There's a big difference between "could be" and "We've got a hole at that spot that we'll need to fill."  It seems probable to me that your definition of instant impact isn't the same as Willis' definition.

Hopefully, coming home will give us an edge and color his thinking a little so that Willis gives MU the benefit of the doubt on close calls.

feedback