[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Note to MU ticket office: BAD IDEA  (Read 6638 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Note to MU ticket office: BAD IDEA
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 05:40:47 PM »
I was disappointed with our attendence at last year's Big East games. If this improves attendence for Big East games, then it is a good idea.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 07:31:10 PM »
Really?  Last year, we set a record for average attendance.  The BE games weren't all sell outs, but, jesus, it was the best year in history, and you were disappointed?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 08:15:44 PM »
This gaurntees a sell out for all home confernce games.  Take away the 5 packages and we might not.  That makes a differnce when games are on TV.

But that's not my point.  What i hear from you is that you think Marquette could possibly sell an extra 5-7 thousand tickets a year by jobbing over people who buy five packs and you think they should jump all over that like greedy tax collectors. 
That's what you are saying now right?  "Raw, you only can make it to a few games a year, but I think MU should force 40% of those games to be against crap non-con teams.  I'm estimating that this will put a couple k on to the end of the year ticket sales total, I'm sure you'll understand."

Well, no i don't.

I think it makes no difference for television.  TV doesn't capture the upper deck so it doesn't influence it at all.

As far as "jobbing" people, the basketball revenue has to fund the entire department.  It's a lot easier to sell an incremental 3000 seats to DePaul, Nova or G'Town then it is Southern Utah State or some other dog.  MU has to maximize revenue and by loading up these game ticket plans without putting a few dogs in, that isn't maximizing revenue.

There is almost no walkup for those games (maybe 200 tickets) and very few incremental sales for those dog games, but if you force people to buy them by anchoring them to those packages you are properly maximizing revenue on a slew of games that have very little upside.

I know that doesn't sit well with folks, perhaps you feel jobbed, but that is the reality of the situation.  What tickets need the most help to sell?  The dogs...so they should be helping to sell those in those packages in my opinion.  The other attractive games will sell on their own with much less effort.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 08:16:48 PM »
I was disappointed with our attendence at last year's Big East games. If this improves attendence for Big East games, then it is a good idea.

Why?  Looking at the numbers they were very strong, perhaps strongest in the history of the program. 

No doubt this will help attendance during those games, but it essentially is going to make the dogs worse then ever.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 08:40:20 PM »
Why?  Looking at the numbers they were very strong, perhaps strongest in the history of the program. 

No doubt this will help attendance during those games, but it essentially is going to make the dogs worse then ever.

This is how the packages were set up last year if you substitue UW-Madison for UW-Milwaukee.  Given that the announced attendance for that game was 18,283, I don't know how this will help attendance at all.

ToddPacker

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2008, 09:09:22 PM »
Is there anything that the ATO can do that you guys won't bitch about?  Waaaaa the schedule sucks, waaaa the ticket packages are not set up correctly.  Do you people ever enjoy anything about life?  You know what, it sucks that UW is much larger than MU and therefore has more fans to pack the upper deck.  Tough.  Until MU sells out every game, this is the way its going to be regardless of what kind of system they set up.  You could make tickets only available to season ticket holders but I bet there are many UW fans who know MU season ticket holders, and there may even be some MU fans who do NOT know a season ticket holder.  Nothing is perfect. 

MilwaukeeSportsFan

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
If people care that much, they should buy the five packs before UW fans do.  I agree with the earlier poster that said you could probably resell all the tickets separately for a profit in the aggregate.

As it is, MU will have a full house for it's 9 most important games of the home season (the Big East Conference games) when the players need the most support.

They may not be maximizing revenue, but they may be maximizing support.  The UW fans will probably go to the remaining games, sell the remaining games under face value or give away the remaining games to MU fans.

MilwaukeeSportsFan

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2008, 10:52:59 PM »
When do the Big East dates get announced?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2008, 03:10:21 AM »
I know that doesn't sit well with folks, perhaps you feel jobbed, but that is the reality of the situation.  What tickets need the most help to sell?  The dogs...so they should be helping to sell those in those packages in my opinion. 

Your opinion on the topic may not sit well with me, however it appears the powers that put together the packages this year don't share your opinion.  So, I guess I can go on my merry way now :)

chapman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 08:42:54 AM »
A quote from the Gomarquette.com article:

"Fans interested in either package can email athletics@mu.edu or call 414-288-GOMU prior to the release date, and a Marquette Ticket Representative will contact you when they become available."

So...would they be allowed to 'discriminate' this way to try to sell tickets to fans that will wear gold?  i.e. Pass up those that are located in the Madison area or that they can find are UW-Madison students or alumni, and favor any alumni that get tickets this way, families of current students, business sponsors/partners? 

feedback