Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Notes on Shaka Smart, Ben Howland  (Read 9701 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Notes on Shaka Smart, Ben Howland
« on: March 21, 2014, 09:13:04 PM »
First, as for Buzz I thank him for his service. If additional information comes to light, my thoughts and opinions may change on his time at MU and his departure, but what I know is that he appears to be a man of strong faith, a caring man, and a driving force in the program's recent success.

Coaching changes happen all the time and for various reasons. There's not always a burning building or buried bodies involved.

Now, just thinking of Minnesota's coaching search last season.. and there are a couple of names that came up that may be applicable to MU's search. I would point out that money is likely not going to be an issue (in terms of compensation package or buyouts, with some exceptions - i.e., some guys like Crean, Pastner, Alford have enormous... but most are manageable). In addition, MU as an institution has shown commitment to spend on the program and I believe will continue to do so. Our history with private jets and how we operate is going to be a draw for some people.

I'd rather not get into rumors, who makes the most sense, etc. as it relates to MU's (or anyone's) search, but since this was already written last year... and there is some relevance...
---------
Shaka Smart - Shaka Smart & the Minnesota Golden Gophers

The link above discusses one topic re: Smart that could* come into play. Now, I think he's very pleased to be in Richmond coaching, but... every year it seems the traditional media loves to say VCU has 'locked him up' with a new deal.. but, in every single year at VCU, Smart has worked under a new contract. The money he's making there is on the low side for his resume. From a negotiation standpoint, he could command more in the marketplace than VCU has adjusted him to. That can always change, but the yearly contract changes have not resulted in an adjustment that brings him to 'market'. I think this speaks to his enjoyment of his current situation.

Also, a basketball practice facility is needed and has been long rumored at VCU. Still, there has been nothing built. At some point does this become a bigger issue? Perhaps, but probably not as the school recently changed course by deciding to use student fees to help fund the desired project.

-----
Ben Howland - Battle of the Buyouts: UCLA vs. Minnesota

As described in the link above, Howland would have effectively lost $2.3MM of "free money" by getting a job last spring. Indications have been he's ready to get back into a head gig now, so the timing works. He's an interesting character... and you'll see a lot of attacks in stories from the left coast over the past several years, but much of that is due to UCLA being a tough job (from a PR & fan relations standpoint). He has enjoyed enviable success with his teams in the past.

He'll turn 57 years old in May... and so what? The idea of a younger coach who potentially has decades of coaching left in his future is attractive to some, but the idea that a younger coach is likely stay at one job for decades is unreasonable.

The timing is right and Howland is certainly someone I'd think MU would take a long look at.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:25:52 AM by Jay Bee »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Notes on Shaka Smart, Ben Howland
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 09:17:10 PM »
Playing snore ball is alright...hope he still has recruiting chops.

Not being able to get it done at UCLA and they gave him time.  Multiple terrible years.

I'd like to take a couple shots at the young guys like Marshall or Smart than retirement Howland, feels too much like Tubby Smith.

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 09:18:18 PM »
First, as for Buzz I thank him for his service. If additional information comes to light, my thoughts and opinions may change on his time at MU and his departure, but what I know is that he appears to be a man of strong faith, a caring man, and a driving force in the program's recent success.

Coaching changes happen all the time and for various reasons. There's not always a burning building or buried bodies involved.

Right on Jay Bee

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 09:18:24 PM »
Can we stop mentioning Shaka smart? He would be stupid to go to MU. He could coach any NBA team he wants.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 09:19:15 PM »
Howland with Chew by his side doesn't seem like a bad setup at all.

Marshall or Smart will keep raising their ceiling.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 09:19:21 PM »

Not being able to get it done at UCLA and they gave him time.  Multiple terrible years.

I'd like to take a couple shots at the young guys like Marshall or Smart than retirement Howland, feels too much like Tubby Smith.

Three final fours is not getting it done?

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 09:19:37 PM »
Sell it to Shaka, Wisconsin born, I don't know how he'd say no.

The HAVOC would look great with our boys in blue and gold.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
Can we stop mentioning Shaka smart? He would be stupid to go to MU. He could coach any NBA team he wants.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 09:20:57 PM »
Is Danny Manning ready???
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 09:21:06 PM »
Three final fours is not getting it done?

That was a decade ago...this is a "where are we now" business.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 09:21:20 PM »

The NBA isn't even putting a telescope on Shaka Smart. Havoc in the NBA? Laughable.

It's been said by people in the know that Shaka would listen, but won't happen.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 09:23:34 PM »
From what we watched unfold this season by the disinterested seniors and the 'style' of play,

Shaka bringing Havoc to Milwaukee would be absolutely amazing.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 09:23:47 PM »

Pretty sure the Bulls won't be calling Shaka  anytime soon

Though Coach Thibs would be welcome at MU.

That said,  Shaka is holding out for Duke or UNC.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 09:24:27 PM »

Marshall is 51

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 09:26:29 PM »
In recent years Shaka has turned down UCLA, Illinois and Minnesota among others. What makes people think he would consider Marquette?

Everyone here has ripped on all the other schools for having the audacity to think they could take Buzz, let's not live in a glass house.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 09:27:17 PM »
In recent years Shaka has turned down UCLA, Illinois and Minnesota among others. What makes people think he would consider Marquette?

Everyone here has ripped on all the other schools for having the audacity to think they could take Buzz, let's not live in a glass house.

He is from Wisconsin

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 09:30:41 PM »
He is from Wisconsin

So was Tony Bennett.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 09:30:52 PM »
1.) Marshall
2.) Howland
3.) Smart
4.) Masiello
5.) Chew

I'd be fine with any of those, in that order. Also open to other options as I don't know what else is out there. Bottom line is I want the best guy for the job, whoever that may be. I do not care about the hiring process, and I do not care about winning the press conference. Just get the best fit.

NivTastic

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 09:31:17 PM »
Right on Jay Bee

Couldn't agree more.  Long time reader here.  Reading this board has been interesting tonight.  So many of us are most likely in corporate positions where this happens all the time.  Yet when it happens at Marquette it is the end of the world.  I enjoyed Buzz's reign.  He may not have been the best in game coach, but he was an amazing motivator and leader.  Lets embrace what he has done for us and move on.  It is sickening to hear MU graduates question a person's character when he has impacted SOOO many families in the Milwaukee area.  Duane is back.  Deonte is back.  Can't wait till next year.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 09:35:09 PM »
He is from Wisconsin

So what?  He coaches at VCU.  Stop.  It's embarrassing we even suggest he would consider Mu.

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 09:35:35 PM »

I don't know if there's any chance in hell Shaka would come to Marquette...but just the idea of his HAVOC style of play on the Bradley Center floor has me cheering loudly for SF Austin right now!!!  Let's go Lumberjacks!!!!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2014, 09:36:29 PM »
That was a decade ago...this is a "where are we now" business.

2008 was a decade ago?  Hell, he won the Pac 12 regular season title last year and got ripped on more than hypersensitive Buzz did this year, when we were all willing to give a mulligan on a 17-15 year (just not a cake, medal, and raise).

nyg

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2014, 09:40:22 PM »
Shaka can be contacted now.

His VCU team pulled an MU.  They fouled on a 3 point shot and SFA free throw made with 3.6 seconds left.  Four point play, tie game.  Goes to OT and VCU falls.  Great game. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 09:40:45 PM »
Shaka's team not so smart tonight....seen that a bit too much the last few years.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 09:41:11 PM »
Back up the Brinks!!