[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lose to G'Town and Throw Towel In  (Read 3676 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Lose to G'Town and Throw Towel In
« on: January 18, 2014, 03:27:39 PM »
This Butler game was God awful.  If we lose to G'Town, think Buzz is going to have to just bite the bullet and roll with:

Dawson
Burton
JJJ

For 25 minutes a game.  Let them get their growing pains in, experience, and hopefully we can right the ship next year.  No more Otule, I'm fine with greatly limiting Jamil too. 

I don't care if Burton made a couple of quick fouls today....on a day when we were absolutley offensively challenged, no reason to not play Burton for 10 minutes at minimum in second half.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Lose to G'Town and Throw Towel In
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 03:30:59 PM »
Sorry Ners. After that debacle, the curtain has fallen for this year. Terrible leadership, and we definitely are limited with Derrick at the point. He cannot shoot FT's and the other team packs it in when he is in game, hindering the inside play.

That...was...a...classic...choke.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 03:33:27 PM »
I don't care if Burton made a couple of quick fouls today....on a day when we were absolutley offensively challenged, no reason to not play Burton for 10 minutes at minimum in second half.

I completely agree with this.  An offensively challenged second half should have necessitated something...and Deonte's offense could have been that change.

If he makes a quick foul or a defensive mistake, no real harm anyway.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 03:35:13 PM »
nah, buzz will just roll with "his guys"   

I completely agree with this.  An offensively challenged second half should have necessitated something...and Deonte's offense could have been that change.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 03:52:01 PM »
Sorry Ners. After that debacle, the curtain has fallen for this year.
I agree. I was optimism about an offensive turnaround but after crapping the bed against the worst team defense in the Big East, I've lost all hope.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 03:58:18 PM »
Gotta start planning for '14-'15 - and I mean now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 05:25:12 PM »
It is game 5 of an 18 game conference schedule. Settle down. We have three more losses before we have no hope of making the tournament. If we lose four more, I'll agree, pull the plug. Until then, we play to win now.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 05:59:59 PM »
maybe Buzz can get a head start installing the offense for 14-15?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 06:01:21 PM »
The only open item I have: did we cancel in time to get a full refund on the No Bad Losses banner? 

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 06:05:06 PM »
It is game 5 of an 18 game conference schedule. Settle down. We have three more losses before we have no hope of making the tournament. If we lose four more, I'll agree, pull the plug. Until then, we play to win now.

We would need to go 10-3 the rest of the way to get to 20 wins...not a single bone in my body thinks this is possible and watching this team I would likely see us more around 14-15 wins.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 06:24:54 PM »
We would need to go 10-3 the rest of the way to get to 20 wins...not a single bone in my body thinks this is possible and watching this team I would likely see us more around 14-15 wins.

Fine, then give up. See you next season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 06:28:35 PM »
This Butler game was God awful.  If we lose to G'Town, think Buzz is going to have to just bite the bullet and roll with:

Dawson
Burton
JJJ

For 25 minutes a game.  Let them get their growing pains in, experience, and hopefully we can right the ship next year.  No more Otule, I'm fine with greatly limiting Jamil too. 

Derrick is coming back next year.. and will be starting as a senior... and if hes playing 30 minutes now.. his time wont go down...

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 06:37:56 PM »
Derrick is coming back next year.. and will be starting as a senior... and if hes playing 30 minutes now.. his time wont go down...

I'm pretty sure teams have taken the, we'll let Derrick Wilson beat us approach - but not Gardner, Jamil, and Mayo...which is why you've seen Gardner and Jamil's games regress, and Mayos stay the same as in the past.

That said, Derrick played much better today - was far more aggressive and played with better tempo.  Tried to force the action/push the ball and was more aggressive shooting the ball...but of course we also got 5 turnovers from Derrick - which was the price of him playing much faster and aggressive than usual.

Bottom line..we still laid an egg.  Jake was awful.  Mayo was awful. Otule awful. Jamil, pretty much awful.  Buzz's rotations/substitutions...awful.  I don't see any real reason for Otule to get any minutes, and I'd be fine with Derrick and Jake's minutes being greatly reduced - with more minutes to Deonte, JJJ, Mayo and Dawson.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

nyg

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 06:45:31 PM »
Derrick had 5 turnovers and 3 assists today.

MU had 16 turnovers and 5 assists for the game.  That is a brutal stat.

The guards can get the ball inside but once it goes there, they double leaving Derrick.  Ball is passed back out to Derrick, who passes to someone else for a three pointer, and we know how that worked out. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 07:26:32 PM »
Derrick had 5 turnovers and 3 assists today.

MU had 16 turnovers and 5 assists for the game.  That is a brutal stat.

The guards can get the ball inside but once it goes there, they double leaving Derrick.  Ball is passed back out to Derrick, who passes to someone else for a three pointer, and we know how that worked out. 
It is hard to get assists when no one can consistantly make a shot. I actually thought watching the game that Buzz must of spent the whole week in practice working on Derrick pushing the ball up court and attacking the rim. at least two of Derrick's turnovers came on longer upcourt passes. In prior games I do not remember him doing long passes. So there was definatley a change in how Buzz was utilizing him.

john31

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 07:56:01 PM »
Sorry, it is the NIT for the Warriors this year. Let's just pretend that it is 60 years ago and that the NIT is the more prestigious post season tournament. Could there be a silver lining to this season? Maybe it is a wake up call for Buzz as far as what it takes to field a top 15 team year in and year out(tend toward being a "Blue Blood"). I think Buzz is great and drink as much Kool-Aid as anyone but this edition of MU hoops is hard to watch.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 09:55:44 PM »

I'm curious why Buzz doesn't do the offense/defense sub pattern with Burton and possibly Juan like he's done with Gardner and Otule in the past.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 10:46:48 PM »

Coaches simply do not think like this, especially not with 13 games to go in an 18-game conference season, followed by a conference tournament.

There is no No. 1 draft pick to play for, either.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 11:01:01 PM »
"Don’t give up, don’t ever give up."  - Jimmy V, March 1993
Also applies to Marquette fans.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 11:05:30 PM »

I actually understand if fans want to give up. It's not how I choose to be a fan, but I understand it.

Those who believe the coach of a high-major team is going to "throw in the towel," less than a third of the way through the conference schedule ... they are not living in reality.

Coaches are not wired that way. Maybe in the pros, if the GM tells them a top draft pick is on the line, but not at this level.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 11:09:56 PM »

I wouldn't say one should give up but I would suggest we need to be realistic about this season. Quite frankly, this team is just not very good. We certainly will not come close to the accomplishments of Buzz' other teams at Marquette.

Death on call

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 05:02:03 AM »

What the hell? You have been pro team "DEFENSE" all year to this point. That is basically all you have argued.

But yes, now that you are on board...why not play the TALENT. Give them EXPERIENCE. Build for next year. Letting Chris Otule(SMH times 400), Jake Thomas, Juan Anderson, Derrick Wilson(admittingly this one we don't know full extent if duane is healthy) play big minutes AND start KILLS a team.

I know I could only dream of head coaching Big East Basketball team but Buzz this year is reminding me of Ron Gardenhire....that is in absolutely no way, a positive.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 06:55:19 AM »
What the hell? You have been pro team "DEFENSE" all year to this point. That is basically all you have argued.

Uh...no.

But yes, now that you are on board...why not play the TALENT. Give them EXPERIENCE. Build for next year. Letting Chris Otule(SMH times 400), Jake Thomas, Juan Anderson, Derrick Wilson(admittingly this one we don't know full extent if duane is healthy) play big minutes AND start KILLS a team.

I am certainly not on board with this.

What I mean is that Deonte has shown that he can be a net positive contributor right now.  Probably the only freshman who has been able to put the ball in the basket against top level competition.  And he has been frozen out of the line up.  Yeah he picked up two quick fouls and that's why he sat in the first half but when your team is falling apart largely because no one can hit a shot, why not bring in some offense?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 11:32:21 AM »
Thing is, we'll probably lose at Georgetown and beat Nova at home.

Superfan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 12:21:04 PM »
Burton, Dawson and J3 need MAJOR minutes for the remainder of the season.  There is zero reason these guys are sitting on the bench behind Jake, Derrick and Juan.  Watching other programs where the freshmen are developing is getting to be really frustrating.