[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks]Fischer transfer to Marquette from Indiana official  (Read 8255 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

Fischer transfer to Marquette from Indiana official

Earlier this week, Indiana freshmen Luke Fischer announced he would transfer from Indiana University.  Speculation among several people close to the Indiana program indicated a desire for a better fit, a chance to be closer to home and a smaller setting in terms of campus size.  Not entirely surprising when one considers the schools Fischer was heavily recruited by tended to be smaller schools like Marquette, Dayton, Creighton, Butler, and Boston College.  The two larger schools in play were Iowa and Indiana, where Fischer ultimately landed.

When the decision to transfer was announced, former Marquette coach Tom Crean released as statement, "Luke has decided to withdraw from Indiana and pursue another  educational and basketball opportunity. He explained to us he is  looking for a different fit for him. We hate to see a fine young man  like Luke leave, but he has made his decision and we wish the entire  Fischer family well."
<div style="background-color: white; border: medium none; color: black; overflow: hidden; text-align: left; text-decoration: none;">
</div>Fischer's decision ultimately came down to Creighton, UW-Milwaukee and Marquette, seemingly to confirm his desire to play closer to home in a smaller setting more comfortable to him (Creighton and Bloomington are each about 6 hours and 40 minutes from Baraboo, WI, but Creighton is a much different setting than Bloomington).&nbsp; Fischer's tweet today seems in line with the information from IU sources: "Marquette allows me to be closer to home while playing at the highest level for a great academic institution."

&nbsp;When Fischer announced his transfer this week, Indiana University had stated a transfer in conference to another Big Ten school would not be allowed.&nbsp; Seemed to be a moot point as Justin Litscher, Fischer's former coach who was fielding inquiries stated “That was a moot point.&nbsp; They weren’t going to attend any Big Ten school anyway.”&nbsp;&nbsp; Tom Crean did not block a transfer request to Marquette.&nbsp; Litscher had indicated Crean and IU to his knowledge did not block a transfer to any school other than Big Ten schools.

Fischer will enroll at MU for the second semester.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; He will be eligible to play second semester of next season.&nbsp; Fischer was ranked 34th nationally as a recruit, won the Mr. Basketball title in the state of Wisconsin.&nbsp; He is 6'11" tall 230lbs and will likely play the center and power  forward positions at MU.&nbsp; With the graduation of Chris Otule and Devante  Gardner this season, Fischer will fill a void for MU along with  incoming recruit Satchel Pierce.

Marquette is over committed by one scholarship for next season, indicating one incoming recruit will no longer come to MU or someone will leave early.

Source: Fischer transfer to Marquette from Indiana official

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks]Fischer transfer to Marquette from Indiana official
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 01:15:08 PM »
Fischer transfer to Marquette from Indiana official

Earlier this week, Indiana freshmen Luke Fischer announced he would transfer from Indiana University.&nbsp; Speculation among several people close to the Indiana program indicated a desire for a better fit, a chance to be closer to home and a smaller setting in terms of campus size.&nbsp; Not entirely surprising when one considers the schools Fischer was heavily recruited by tended to be smaller schools like Marquette, Dayton, Creighton, Butler, and Boston College.&nbsp; The two larger schools in play were Iowa and Indiana, where Fischer ultimately landed.

When the decision to transfer was announced, former Marquette coach Tom Crean released as statement, "Luke has decided to withdraw from Indiana and pursue another  educational and basketball opportunity. He explained to us he is  looking for a different fit for him. We hate to see a fine young man  like Luke leave, but he has made his decision and we wish the entire  Fischer family well."

Fischer's decision ultimately came down to Creighton, UW-Milwaukee and Marquette, seemingly to confirm his desire to play closer to home in a smaller setting more comfortable to him (Creighton and Bloomington are each about 6 hours and 40 minutes from Baraboo, WI, but Creighton is a much different setting than Bloomington).&nbsp; Fischer's tweet today seems in line with the information from IU sources: "Marquette allows me to be closer to home while playing at the highest level for a great academic institution."

&nbsp;When Fischer announced his transfer this week, Indiana University had stated a transfer in conference to another Big Ten school would not be allowed.&nbsp; Seemed to be a moot point as Justin Litscher, Fischer's former coach who was fielding inquiries stated “That was a moot point.&nbsp; They weren’t going to attend any Big Ten school anyway.”&nbsp;&nbsp; Tom Crean did not block a transfer request to Marquette.&nbsp; Litscher had indicated Crean and IU to his knowledge did not block a transfer to any school other than Big Ten schools.

Fischer will enroll at MU for the second semester.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; He will be eligible to play second semester of next season.&nbsp; Fischer was ranked 34th nationally as a recruit, won the Mr. Basketball title in the state of Wisconsin.&nbsp; He is 6'11" tall 230lbs and will likely play the center and power  forward positions at MU.&nbsp; With the graduation of Chris Otule and Devante  Gardner this season, Fischer will fill a void for MU along with  incoming recruit Satchel Pierce.

Marquette is over committed by one scholarship for next season, indicating one incoming recruit will no longer come to MU or someone will leave early.

Source: Fischer transfer to Marquette from Indiana official

vacinator

• Walk-On
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks]Fischer transfer to Marquette from Indiana official
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 09:21:15 PM »
Can Luke play that end of first semester next year or at the beginning of the second?   It would be great to have him for the entire BE Season.  Is he paying his own way for the second semester this year?

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 09:47:39 PM »
Can Luke play that end of first semester next year or at the beginning of the second?   It would be great to have him for the entire BE Season.  Is he paying his own way for the second semester this year?

I'm guessing he would be eligible first game after 1st semester grades are out.  But someone correct me if I am wrong.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 09:54:38 PM »
so if we're over-committed, who's out? Harris, I presume?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 10:02:34 PM »
Counting Fischer nine eligible to return, four signed LOIs, and one verbal.  Plenty of attrition that could happen, and always does.

I'm guessing he would be eligible first game after 1st semester grades are out.  But someone correct me if I am wrong.

Somebody move up the academic calendar so we can get him out there earlier!

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 10:06:27 PM »
Harris hasn't signed yet so are schollies are fine.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 11:11:44 PM »
so if we're over-committed, who's out? Harris, I presume?

Not that easy. At least on of the following players will not be at Marquette next year...and that's all we know.
(note, I guess if someone were willing to pay their own way - highly unlikely, the above statement is incorrect)

Juan Anderson
Derrick Wilson
Todd Mayo
Steve Taylor
Deonte Burton
Duane Wilson
John Dawson
Jajuan Johnson
Luke Fischer
Malek Harris
Sandy Cohen
Ahmed Hill
Marial Shayok
Satchel Pierce

raul

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 11:34:49 PM »
Juan for sure and maybe Malek. Hopefully Mayo  is also out.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 11:39:34 PM »
Hopefully Mayo  is also out.

Mayo kill your puppy, raul?

Death on call

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 11:41:55 PM »
So Fischer is paying for one semester, correct?  Does he pay full tuition or does he qualify for breaks in tuition (under some hardship rule) and/or grants?  How much can he reduce tuition/room and board?  And, can he get a loan so pay off the one semester of tuition over 30 years?

Same for Malek if he wants to come?

Can anyone enlighten?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 11:55:37 PM »
Juan for sure and maybe Malek. Hopefully Mayo  is also out.

From now on the terms: Creaning, Boning, and Buzzcutting will be replaced by the generic word, Rauled.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 12:11:39 AM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 11:59:26 PM »
From now on the terms: Creaning, Boning, and Buzzcutting will be replaced the generic word, Rauled.

Hear hear!!

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 12:09:02 AM »

Somebody move up the academic calendar so we can get him out there earlier!

Marquette University
For Immediate Release
In a new innovation in educational improvement, Marquette University will conduct a one semester experiment examining the relationship between stress and academic achievement by posting students semester grades shortly after the midterm of the semester.  By posting students grades for the fall 2014 semester by November 1st, the study will determine whether knowing their final grades approximately six weeks prior to the end of the semester will allow students to better retain the material they are expected to absorb.  
An unrelated study running concurrently will attempt to measure any effect that unexpected good news regarding campus sports teams may have on student performance.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 12:53:30 AM »
Maybe it's just stereotypes from where I grew up but seeing Carl Sandburg as Harris' High School I feel like he'd have the $$ to pay a year. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 01:20:28 AM »
Maybe it's just stereotypes from where I grew up but seeing Carl Sandburg as Harris' High School I feel like he'd have the $$ to pay a year. 

I am not familiar. is that the Whitefolk's Bay of Chicago?

Death on call

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 02:03:29 AM »

Many do have $, but not all the students. There are many familes that could find a way to pay for college, but a full ride would let them sleep at night.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 07:41:04 AM »

Juan isn't going to leave.  Why would you want him to leave anyway?

Here's a guy who works his ass off, plays hard and stays out of trouble.  (Except for that Brewers ticket incident as a freshman.)  Just because he hasn't met your expectations doesn't mean he isn't a valuable member of the team.

Oh and Buzz loves him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 08:06:30 AM »

I could and did find ways to pay for my kids' education. Therefore, I could "afford" to pay.

But if they had a choice of a full ride at School A or me paying at School B, they'd have gone to School A. Period. They might have grumbled at first, but like the vast majority of college students, they would have learned to love their school.

It's a major, major incentive. Why should somebody with options take the one that costs them $25k a year or more?

Yes, I know there are exceptions. And I also know there are some truly wealthy families that don't care if costs them five figures for a year. But the scholarship is -- and should be -- a HUGE factor to 98% of the population (give or take a %).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 08:11:05 AM »
Malek isn't going to pay for a year to play here.  One option might be that he goes to prep school for a year since he isn't playing this year, and then comes to MU.  (Or maybe he goes prep and heads elsewhere....who knows?)

Or maybe he signs in the spring and someone else transfers.  We'll know in due time.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 08:56:29 AM »

Give me a break.  We will need both Juan and Mayo next year.  Hate to say it but Malek seems like the obvious choice.  I'm just hoping one of our freshmen doesn't transfer.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 08:56:41 AM »

Orland Park isn't that nice?

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 09:15:59 AM »
Give me a break.  We will need both Juan and Mayo next year.  Hate to say it but Malek seems like the obvious choice.  I'm just hoping one of our freshmen doesn't transfer.

Dawson? He'll (in all likelihood) be behind Wilson&Wilson next year. Won't get much playing time till he's a junior, and even then he'll have to compete then with Noskowiak (sp?).

Juan seems unlikely cause it'll be his senior year. If he was gonna leave, it was this year. Mayo? You never know.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 09:29:58 AM »
Orland Park isn't that nice?

It is very nice (in a Stepford "idyllic" sort of way).  A 1950s planned commuter suburb (picture dad working for Xerox/IBM, mom at home, two car garage, subdivisions rather than grid etc.).

That said, with 50,000 plus people, it also has working poor and single parents, like most communities.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 09:33:59 AM »
It is very nice (in a Stepford "idyllic" sort of way).  A 1950s planned commuter suburb (picture dad working for Xerox/IBM, mom at home, two car garage, subdivisions rather than grid etc.).

That said, with 50,000 plus people, it also has working poor and single parents, like most communities.

I meant in the way that it would automatically be assumed that the family has money. For example, municpalities such as Long Grove, Bull Valley, Barrington or Lake Forest.