[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MJS Blog] Brian Wardle: Marquette basketball is at now is an elite level  (Read 12634 times)

MJS_Says

Brian Wardle: Marquette basketball is at now is an elite level

Wisconsin-Green Bay coach Brian Wardle has just wrapped up his season with his Phoenix finishing18-16 despite having just one senior. He feels the potential for the 2013-’14 season is looking good. So now he is just trying to keep up with his 11-month old son. “We always wanted a boy but who knew he would break everything in the house two months after he started crawling?” said Wardle.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/200079351.html

PGsHeroes32

• All American
It took an alumini member but someone finally likes the way we match up with Miami!!!
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

The Process

• All American
Lori Nickel just schooled Mike Hunt in how to cover the MU beat.

#FireMikeHunt
Relax. Respect the Process.

Hards Alumni

• All American
Oh, so Brian Wardle has now beaten an elite level team, huh.

mr.MUskie

• All American
That title makes my head hurt.

MU82

• All American
I like this quote from Wardle:

But I’m also cheering for Marquette and the other night, we’re yelling at the TV, my wife and I. That’s what you do as alumni, you support the basketball at Marquette.

That's what my wife and I do all the time, too. Sometimes, we're yelling at the TV at the same time but for different reasons. It's funny.

On this statement, however, Wardle is guilty of gross exaggeration:

Now, it’s nationwide. You don’t even have to be a basketball fan and you know that Marquette is going to be really good at basketball, and that Marquette is in Milwaukee ...

I live in Charlotte and was in Costco just a few days ago wearing my Marquette sweatshirt. The guy in the checkout line in front of me said: "Oh, Marquette! I used to live in Michigan, too." Sigh.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ATLmarquettefan

• Scholarship Player

Now, it’s nationwide. You don’t even have to be a basketball fan and you know that Marquette is going to be really good at basketball, and that Marquette is in Milwaukee ...

I live in Charlotte and was in Costco just a few days ago wearing my Marquette sweatshirt. The guy in the checkout line in front of me said: "Oh, Marquette! I used to live in Michigan, too." Sigh.

I actually have to agree with Wardle on this. When I go and play ball at the park, most of the time I have on MU shorts or a shirt, and will get a lot of comments about the program. People in the basketball world definitely know who we are and that we are good.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
People I meet know about Marquette BBall but think it is in Michigan.

Have some childhood friends who went to school in Marquette, Mich. and are reaching out cheering for the Other Marquette.

RJax55

• All American
I'm surprised so many people (especially outside the Midwest) know about Marquette, Michigan. You're talking about a city of just over 21,000.

MURFC

• Team Captain
It may be an exaggeration, but I think few would dispute that 3 S16's in a row has significantly elevated the national presence of Marquette. 

I like this quote from Wardle:

But I’m also cheering for Marquette and the other night, we’re yelling at the TV, my wife and I. That’s what you do as alumni, you support the basketball at Marquette.

That's what my wife and I do all the time, too. Sometimes, we're yelling at the TV at the same time but for different reasons. It's funny.

connie

• All American
Last year during the tournament the Weather Channel presenter was talking about how a large snowstorm in the UP may affect Marquette's tournament travel plans.  The wife promptly complained and got a nicely apologetic note back.  On the other hand, we were in Dublin for Easter last year and my son had two people remark about his MU sweatshirt.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Blackhat

• All American
Thank you Fr. Wild

MU82

• All American
I actually have to agree with Wardle on this. When I go and play ball at the park, most of the time I have on MU shorts or a shirt, and will get a lot of comments about the program. People in the basketball world definitely know who we are and that we are good.

Wardle wasn't talking about people in the basketball world in this statement. He was saying people everywhere -- and not even just basketball fans -- now know that Marquette is in Milwaukee. I wish he were right but he's not.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
Kinda feel like he's our planned option if Buzz ever were to leave.  Don't freak out at me i hope he won't and don't think he will just saying that I think that Wardle is kind of the option.  Kind of like how McGuire once said he thought MU was waiting for Don Kojis to get a bit older so he would coach. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
Kinda feel like he's our planned option if Buzz ever were to leave. 

I hope not.  Red flags all over and not much by the way of results.

Galway Eagle

• All American

A person who has had not much success in the mid major level... What was Buzz's record at UNO again? 
Maigh Eo for Sam

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Kinda feel like he's our planned option if Buzz ever were to leave.  Don't freak out at me i hope he won't and don't think he will just saying that I think that Wardle is kind of the option.  Kind of like how McGuire once said he thought MU was waiting for Don Kojis to get a bit older so he would coach. 
No freaking way.

RJax55

• All American

He's like watching Tom Crean, Jr. 

GGGG

• All American
A person who has had not much success in the mid major level... What was Buzz's record at UNO again? 

Yes.  Since one person had a poor record coaching at a mid-major, that means every failed mid-major coach must be the next Buzz Williams.

Galway Eagle

• All American

Yes.  Since one person had a poor record coaching at a mid-major, that means every failed mid-major coach must be the next Buzz Williams.

He made the NIT this year in his third season as Head Coach, and didn't have a single senior on the team.  Perhaps you don't give him enough credit.  Record went from 14-18, 15-15 to 18-14. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
Wardle? Pfft.
Isn't it obvious by now that Shaka Smart ad Brad Stevens are just biding their time until the MU job opens up?

GGGG

• All American
He made the NIT this year in his third season as Head Coach, and didn't have a single senior on the team.  Perhaps you don't give him enough credit.  Record went from 14-18, 15-15 to 18-14. 

You're right...he's not "failed."  He's mediocre.

Galway Eagle

• All American

You're right...he's not "failed."  He's mediocre.

I lose track are you one of the guys who calls Tom Crean good or one of the haters or one of the neutral people?  Cause Tom Crean went 15-14 twice in a row before he did us any good.  And that was here where we actually care about bball imagine at a place like UWGB.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
I lose track are you one of the guys who calls Tom Crean good or one of the haters or one of the neutral people?  Cause Tom Crean went 15-14 twice in a row before he did us any good.  And that was here where we actually care about bball imagine at a place like UWGB.

I thought TC was fine and have no ill will toward him.  I have seen no evidence that Wardle can be a high level college coach at this point, and in fact have heard a couple things that lead me to the opinion that I do not want him anywhere near the MU head job.

Galway Eagle

• All American

I thought TC was fine and have no ill will toward him.  I have seen no evidence that Wardle can be a high level college coach at this point, and in fact have heard a couple things that lead me to the opinion that I do not want him anywhere near the MU head job.

Care to share about these rumors? 
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback