[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So did the "best team" win the championship?  (Read 4505 times)

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
Re: So did the "best team" win the championship?
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 10:25:19 AM »
  What do you expect these kids to do? Brandon Jennings played overseas and that didn't work out so well did it. You can't blame kids for not taking school seriously when they are forced to go to college for one year instead of going to the NBA.

There is jealousy amongst the programs and fans that can't get these kids.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 11:54:36 AM »
Top 5 maybe. I think we will need 3 Otules as far as size in order to compete for a national championship.

+1
I love me some CO, but to say he makes us a contender for the title is off base.  The legend of CO grew the longer he was out.  

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 03:40:14 PM »
  Yeah, the course of study does matter.  An A in basketball theory hardly compares to the usual course requirements taken by the typical college student with a major and career in mind.  These players had neither and were there only to bide their time until they could declare for the NBA draft.  A dumping ground for which Cal and KY deserve no credit.
So college athletes should have to take courses that are approved by opposing fanbases, otherwise their success on the court doesn’t count?
And so what if they were only there to bide time until being drafted? that’s how the system is set up, it’s not their fault that the process is stupid…

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 04:33:47 PM »
This year, the best team won.  Some years, the best team doesn't win.  UCONN was the 10th best team in the Big East last year but won the national title because they got hot at the right time of year in a one and done tournament where anything can happen.

I hate to quote Charles Barkley, but he said it best last weekend when he said in the NBA the team that wins the title is always the best team because they are going through 4 best of series where the cream rises to the top and there is flexibility for an off night or two to still rebound and win a series.  That is not the case in the NCAA tournament.

So using this logic the Super Bowl Champs, the Giants this year, are not the best team. Lets just have a vote, send the trophy to the "best team" and not bother playing the games.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 04:39:41 PM »
So using this logic the Super Bowl Champs, the Giants this year, are not the best team. Lets just have a vote, send the trophy to the "best team" and not bother playing the games.

The Giants weren't the best team. They were the hottest team. In a 1 and done situation the best team doesn't always win. Nobody claimed they weren't the Super Bowl Champions or didn't deserve the Lombardi Trophy. They did. But that doesn't mean they were the best team.

That's dumb. That would be like saying LSU was a better team than Marquette this year since they beat Marquette. Maybe they should've been 9th in the final polls. Come on.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2012, 05:17:51 PM »

Does the best team always win a game, any game?

The same applies for the playoffs, tournaments, etc.   This is especially true in a one and done format.  In a long series like the NBA, NHL or MLB, the best team usually wins the championship.  In one and done affairs, anything can happen.  It's not flawed logic, Charles Barkley agrees and how can there be a greater spokesman than that?   ;D 

If Butler won the national title last year by beating the 10th place Big East team, are you really going to tell us that Butler was the best team in college basketball?  Was UCONN?  No, they won the championship of the tournament but that doesn't always mean the best team. Some years it does, some years it doesn't.  This is hardly radical thinking, many (I would say most but am bias) people agree with the concept that the best team doesn't always win the championship. 

If Bolden wins 100 races in a row but loses the Olympic Gold medal race and then proceeds to win 100 more races in a row, is he still not the best 100 meter man in the world even if he isn't the Olympic Champion?  Don't confuse winning the championship with being the best.  Sometimes they are one in the same, but sometimes the best overall team doesn't win the championship.  Marquette wasn't the best team in 1977 but won the title.  NC State, Villanova, UCONN, and others have won titles without being the best teams.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2012, 08:05:34 PM »
Kentucky was the best team this year.   Period.   I think Otule's loss cost us two games and one seed.   But even with him, MU doesn't beat Kentucky unless they have an off day and MU plays perfect.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2012, 08:13:14 PM »
Tower
I am not sure we beat UK under any circumstances this year but agree with your comments. I had hoped that a UNC or someone could knock out UK before pairings came out and let us roll the dice, CO or not. Once I saw FF matchups it became quite obvious to me the FF was my Holy Grail and not NC.

Love 'em or hate 'em the Wildcats were a great team and fun to watch. I am old enough to have seen MU play Rupp coached teams in person and have hated UK my whole life, but this team earned respect from me. Trust me when I say beating UK is my favorite team to beat and I still think they were best team.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 08:20:03 PM »
I root against Kentucky in every game, just like I did Michael Jordan and do Tiger Woods, but that doesn't mean that I can't acknowledge their greatness.   I have been going through a mental checklist of national champions, and I would put this year's Kentucky team up against any of them.    As painful as it is to say, and competely separate from all of the off-court maybe's, on the court, that team played beautiful basketball.   Dammit. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2012, 08:29:52 PM »
Tower
I love Jordan and Tiger for the competitive nature and ability to win. Over the years I have made it mandatory rules for my kids to watch both of those freaks, only because of their ability to win at all cost. Not saying they are great people but in my lifetime the two greatest winners I have ever witnessed.

feedback