'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: He did it!  (Read 5589 times)

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
He did it!
« on: March 16, 2010, 01:36:51 PM »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: He did it!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 01:39:52 PM »
What a joke. They wouldn't hire him and that's not even a good job.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 01:42:52 PM »
Haha.  Not a chance.  That would be a demotion in conference, pay, and talent pool.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
This is hilarious!  I'm sorry... I have nothing against Iowa but come on!  This writer is pulling names from a hat! 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 01:50:13 PM »
 :o Ben Howland?!!? :o
I know every school overvalues itself a little, and that particularly comes out in coaching searches... but really? Come on, that should disincentivize anyone from taking the job because of how delusional that fan base is. If they see their program able to steal a coach from UCLA, they won't ever be happy with their results.  At the end of the day, just competing in the Big 10 would be great for that program.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 01:51:38 PM »
Buzz isn't even the worst one on there.  Ben Howland leaving UCLA to come to Iowa?

Iowa spends all of its money on football and have Bo Ryan, Tubby Smith, and Buzz Williams up north from them recruiting, so that hurts them.  Kansas is to their south.  It's tough for their team right now, but they did make the BCS in football so can't feel too bad.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 01:52:09 PM »
This article is obviously ridiculous, but my biggest problem is that he didn't even include Buzz in the "Big Conference Names" section.  At least Badger fans have one thing right, "who gives a f_ about the whole state of Iowa, the whole state of Iowa, the whole state of Iowa..."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 02:08:11 PM »
Drew from Baylor to Iowa.

Then the Baylor job opens up

teddycoke

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 02:09:08 PM »
Hope Pearl brings Maymon with him.....

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 02:14:23 PM »

Where's the incentive in Iowa?  Drew has something good going right now, to start back from the bottom is a lateral move at best.

My bet is on Keno Davis

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 02:14:34 PM »
This article is obviously ridiculous, but my biggest problem is that he didn't even include Buzz in the "Big Conference Names" section.  At least Badger fans have one thing right, "who gives a f_ about the whole state of Iowa, the whole state of Iowa, the whole state of Iowa..."

I hope Badger fans don't claim that song as their own... I'm pretty sure that is an OSU song about Michigan.

Because we don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan
The whole state of Michigan
We don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan...
Cause we're from O-HI-O.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 02:17:46 PM »
I hope Badger fans don't claim that song as their own... I'm pretty sure that is an OSU song about Michigan.

Because we don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan
We don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan...
Cause we're from O-HI-O.

I was thinking that same thing. Badger fans also claim to own the rights to "Jump Around" so I wouldn't out it past them.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 02:20:06 PM »
Badger fans have never been known for their originality.  Go Big Red!  Jump Around!

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 02:34:22 PM »
Where's the incentive in Iowa?  Drew has something good going right now, to start back from the bottom is a lateral move at best.

My bet is on Keno Davis
  Could be.  Keno is under fire at PC.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 03:35:29 PM »

My bet is on Keno Davis

My initial bet is on Keno Davis, as well, but he may not be thrilled with how his dad was forced out of Iowa.  Keno is not under fire at Providence at this point in time.

No idea who will be hired, but if I were Iowa I would try to get Drew who is a Midwest guy. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 03:37:31 PM »
Drew, Billy G, or Lutz.

They are dreaming if they think they can get Pearl.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 03:40:42 PM »
Bruce has no interest in Iowa. They worship his greg there. Besides that would be like walking out on JMay.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 03:47:47 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 03:42:58 PM »
My initial bet is on Keno Davis, as well, but he may not be thrilled with how his dad was forced out of Iowa.  Keno is not under fire at Providence at this point in time.

No idea who will be hired, but if I were Iowa I would try to get Drew who is a Midwest guy. 

I agree that Drew would be a great hire for them, but I don't see him going there.  Especially after grabbing a 3 seed in the tourney.  He's done a great job at Baylor and has a great thing going for him.  Iowa is a mess right now.  I just don't know how deep those midwestern roots will run.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 03:45:48 PM »

Baylor to Iowa is not a lateral move.  Baylor is a private school with limited basketball following.  Iowa is a state-wide school that loves its basketball program.  The reason Baylor might be perceived better now is because Drew took them from the abyss and turned them into a winner.  But, if the guy wants to return to the midwest, this would be a real good way for him to do so.

As far as recruiting, while he does have a handful from Texas, he recruits from all over.  All of the conference titles that Valparaiso won earlier this decade were due to his recruiting leg work.  He'll get kids to Iowa if he got them to Valpo and Waco.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 03:49:03 PM »

I have it on good authority that Scott is holding out until the Indiana job opens up after next year

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 03:59:48 PM »

The only lateral move that would make sense for Buzz given his Texas connection and desire to preach his religious views.  Scary for us...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 04:02:06 PM »
The only lateral move that would make sense for Buzz given his Texas connection and desire to preach his religious views.  Scary for us...

I seriously think you guys are overestimating the overall status of the Baylor program.  Three years ago, you would have been laughed out of town if you said that MU and Baylor were lateral programs.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 04:11:31 PM »

I seriously think you guys are overestimating the overall status of the Baylor program.  Three years ago, you would have been laughed out of town if you said that MU and Baylor were lateral programs.

You are probably right about three years ago.  But it's probably a great fit for Buzz unfortunately. 

It's a private school in a high major conference.  Buzz could express his religious views more openly than if he was a state-actor and constrained by the First Amendment's Establishment Clause.  They are also getting talent in there now and Buzz can recruit the area.

They don't have Al McGuire or Dwyane Wade in their history so Marquette is easily the better program if you were lining up and ranking every program ever in college basketball.  But, it's still within reason something Buzz might look at.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 04:15:58 PM »
You are probably right about three years ago.  But it's probably a great fit for Buzz unfortunately. 

It's a private school in a high major conference.  Buzz could express his religious views more openly than if he was a state-actor and constrained by the First Amendment's Establishment Clause.  They are also getting talent in there now and Buzz can recruit the area.

They don't have Al McGuire or Dwyane Wade in their history so Marquette is easily the better program if you were lining up and ranking every program ever in college basketball.  But, it's still within reason something Buzz might look at.

OK...I understand where you are coming from.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 04:35:40 PM »
My friend and I were having this very conversation during the ND game a week and a half ago.  We came to the conclusion that the only two programs we wouldn't be shocked to see Buzz leave for are Texas and Baylor.  Texas because he would bring in 5 stars yearly, and Baylor because of its Baptist affiliation.  If I'm not mistaken, Buzz is Baptist himself.  HOWEVER, I still wouldn't be too worried if the job opened up, because Marquette as a program is far superior to Baylor, and Milwaukee as a city is far superior to Waco.  MU can make this a moot point by just paying the man though.