Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJO  (Read 6416 times)

AZWarrior

• All American
DJO
« on: January 27, 2010, 09:52:30 AM »
During the first half, DJO had the ball on the right wing.  He faked a jump shot then drove the baseline (he's a lefty, right - so he drove with his non dominant hand) and then scored on a reverse spin layup.  I said to myself, that was an NBA move.  So count me in the "DJO will play in the NBA camp"   ;D

Remember, he's only a sophomore!
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: DJO
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 10:11:18 AM »
During the first half, DJO had the ball on the right wing.  He faked a jump shot then drove the baseline (he's a lefty, right - so he drove with his non dominant hand) and then scored on a reverse spin layup.  I said to myself, that was an NBA move.  So count me in the "DJO will play in the NBA camp"   ;D

Remember, he's only a sophomore!

+1, agreed.  Pretty amazing that he can use both his left and right almost equally well..off the bounce, and shooting.  And one poster here recently said he seemed "uncoordinated."  Seriously??!!
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 10:13:49 AM »
Don't get too excited. It was rutgers after all, if he does that against UCONN's length and talent then I'll buy into him being a stud on the drive. Right now all I can say is he's a great shooter

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 10:47:55 AM »
Don't get too excited. It was rutgers after all, if he does that against UCONN's length and talent then I'll buy into him being a stud on the drive. Right now all I can say is he's a great shooter

Its not like its the first time he's done this.  Have you watched other games, against other big east teams, where he's penetrated and finished well?  He's a multi-threat.  Not just a great shooter.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

ultimate

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 10:49:40 AM »
+1, agreed.  Pretty amazing that he can use both his left and right almost equally well..off the bounce, and shooting.  And one poster here recently said he seemed "uncoordinated."  Seriously??!!

I would say he can look a bit uncoordinated at times - MUCH DIFFERENT from actually being uncoordinated.  

I get a bit scared watching DJO dribble in the open court (he's not a point guard), but, YES!, he does an absolutely amazing job of protecting the ball and reacting to the defense when driving to the basket.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 11:09:37 AM »
DJO has become a crowd fave.  Able to get his own shot, able to shoot the 3 or slash for a layup, he has all the tools.  Defense is above average.  Could improve on his FT %.  Great addition!

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 11:16:39 AM »
It WAS against Rutgers, but they DO have Ndiaye (think I spelled it wrong) who was blocking 4.3/game before last night. I think DJO made about three of those reverse layups last night. IMO, the layups were a good way to use the rim and to neutralize an aggressive shot blocker (as long as DJO keeps making them).

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 11:28:45 AM »
Funny story. I'm getting bball shoes at Champs last week and the guy helping me sees I have an MU fleece and says, "You gotta love my boy Dwight Buycks. Dwights's one of my boys from high school. He's definitely gonna make it to The League." I said to him, "He's pretty good, but the only league he's making is in Turkey or Greece." He looks at me and says, "You serious?" I said "Watch the other guy, DJO, he definitely has a shot." If DJO works on the defensive end, I definitely think it's possible. Certainly fun to watch.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 11:57:42 AM »
Dwight might just make it...stranger things have happened.  Copa got more than a cup of coffee in the NBA and no one saw that coming.  Heck, he might get into the league by virtue of his hair alone.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 12:09:25 PM »
Gleason and Kelley were extremely impressed by his finishes on the reverse.  Kelley commented on how it was an excellent use of spin and his body control was remarkable.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 12:25:53 PM »
He reminds me of a shorter Michael Redd.  Both great left handed shooters, but not overly athletic.  IMO - he's going to need some PG skills to get to the league.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 12:36:05 PM »
I think sometimes he just looks awkward. He's so explosive, sometimes he just has to harness that and know when to go, and when to shoot it. And I cant knock the dude, he's playing EXTREMELY smart and his becoming quite the diamond in the ruff of this years bunch.

I think they sky is the limit for DJO, and I'm glad he's on our team.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 12:42:26 PM »
Single-handedly tempered the mini Rutgers run to start the second half...   DJO is for real. 

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 01:03:39 PM »
He reminds me of a shorter Michael Redd.  Both great left handed shooters, but not overly athletic.  IMO - he's going to need some PG skills to get to the league.

Really?  When is the last time Michael Redd did anything but throw up threes?  DJO can drive and finish with both hands regularly as a SOPHOMORE.  Just wait until he is a senior.  Michael Redd is garbage.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 01:07:48 PM »
He's my favorite player right now... but his NBA chances are probably a long-shot given his height and skill-set.

Not impossible, but not probable.

Still, I think he's going to be a fantastic college player and I look forward to watching him play the next 3 years.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 01:36:16 PM »
He's my favorite player right now... but his NBA chances are probably a long-shot given his height and skill-set.

Question for those watching in person or seeing DJO on campus:  how tall is he?  Is he a legit 6'2" or are they adding a couple of inches?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 01:39:31 PM »
It would be hard to imagine him guarding a Kobe or Wade at the 2 or Derrick Rose or Chris Paul at the 1.   He does have a lot of work to do to get to the NBA, but he is definately a great catch for Buzz.  Very high skill level and I don't even know if he has completely figured out how to dominate a game offensively yet.  I'm looking forward to see if he and Dyson match up this weekend and if Dyson is able to cover him.  He is going to be a tough, tough matchup for the next two years.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 01:40:28 PM »
I saw him in the AMU yesterday. Looks like a legit 6' 2"

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 01:40:48 PM »
Really?  When is the last time Michael Redd did anything but throw up threes?  DJO can drive and finish with both hands regularly as a SOPHOMORE.  Just wait until he is a senior.  Michael Redd is garbage.

Really?  People need to calm down a little.  Are we talking about the same guy who went 2-9 with 4 turnovers against DEPAUL?  Don't get me wrong, I love DJO and he is a great find by Buzz, but he is too small to play anything besides PG in the NBA, and, like McNeal, hasn't shown any PG skills.  He definitely needs to improve his defense and free throws.  By the way, when Michael Redd was a sophomore, he was averaging nearly 20 pts a game for a Final Four team.  Its really not much of a comparison and Redd was only a mid second round pick.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 01:46:45 PM »

Michael Redd could do all of that as a sophomore as well.  In fact he could do it better.  He didn't become the lazy jump shooting guard he is now until he was already with the Bucks for a year.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 01:55:12 PM »
Really?  People need to calm down a little.  Are we talking about the same guy who went 2-9 with 4 turnovers against DEPAUL?  Don't get me wrong, I love DJO and he is a great find by Buzz, but he is too small to play anything besides PG in the NBA, and, like McNeal, hasn't shown any PG skills.  He definitely needs to improve his defense and free throws.  By the way, when Michael Redd was a sophomore, he was averaging nearly 20 pts a game for a Final Four team.  Its really not much of a comparison and Redd was only a mid second round pick.

I will give you the points per game average Redd had, but don't forget as a freshman and sophomore Redd shot free throws in the 60 percent and never once in his 3 years at Ohio State did he have better than a 34 percent 3 point%.  Also, DJO has 1.3/1 A/T ratio.  Redd's best was 1/1

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 01:56:37 PM »
Really?  People need to calm down a little.  Are we talking about the same guy who went 2-9 with 4 turnovers against DEPAUL?  Don't get me wrong, I love DJO and he is a great find by Buzz, but he is too small to play anything besides PG in the NBA, and, like McNeal, hasn't shown any PG skills.  He definitely needs to improve his defense and free throws.  By the way, when Michael Redd was a sophomore, he was averaging nearly 20 pts a game for a Final Four team.  Its really not much of a comparison and Redd was only a mid second round pick.

Does Nate Robinson ring a bell?  I don't think SG is completely out of the question.  Ben Gordon isn't that tall either.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 02:08:33 PM »
Nate Robinson and Ben Gordon were a lot better at basketball than DJO.  DJO has tons of work to do to get to that level. 

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 02:13:45 PM »
Nate Robinson and Ben Gordon were a lot better at basketball than DJO.  DJO has tons of work to do to get to that level. 

You didn't read the bolded statement from the quote.  Someone said that he is too small to play anything but PG.  As far as his size goes, he could play SG and there are plenty of players around his size that play SG in the NBA.  As for as skill goes, he obviously has alot of work to do but that wasn't my point.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 02:14:43 PM »
Redd was also getting more than 6 rebounds per game.  Anyway, there are always exceptions to the NBA prototypes.  But most players drafted to play the 2 in the NBA are taller than 6'2".  

As for the Ben Gordon comparison, yes, if DJO goes for 20+ ppg next season, leads MU to the NCAA championship, leads the NCAA tournament in scoring and sets a record for scoring in the BE tournament, he will probably have very good NBA prospects.