Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Scholarships  (Read 8926 times)

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
Scholarships
« on: October 27, 2008, 09:11:29 AM »
Now that Roseboro verballed, we're full up for schollies next year. That said, we're apparently still pushing Snaer and Colvin, and possibly Jamil Wilson. Anyone wanna help clue me in on how the math on all this works? I know it's a possibility that someone like Hazel could be gone, which would give us back a spot, but what else?

Also, since we only have 12 scholarship guys this year, you think they gave one to Frozena for this year, since it's available?

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: Scholarships
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 09:18:26 AM »
I'm guessing yes to the Frozena question.  As for other scholarship offers, depending on how deep we do in the tourney, I'm not saying this is that probable but may be ever so slightly possible, that Lazar leaves for the NBA or Europe depending on how he plays down the stretch and where he is projected to land.  That is a BIG IF but just throwing it out there.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 09:32:22 AM »
Crean will faciltate another transfer. Oh yeah, it's all about family, his family.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 09:34:41 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Sweenz

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 10:07:46 AM »
This may be a dumb question, but since Marquette doesn't redshirt as often as Wisconsin I am not positive, but redshirts still count as a scholarship, right?

Not that MU would redshirt any of these guys, as we will need them all day 1.

jce

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 10:12:57 AM »
Redshirting is pretty rare in college basketball, mostly because of the small roster sizes...at least relative to football.  The only time that I can think of Wisconsin doing this for non-medical purposes is when Butch was simply physcially too small to play at the Division 1 level and needed a good year in the weight room.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 10:13:42 AM »
This may be a dumb question, but since Marquette doesn't redshirt as often as Wisconsin I am not positive, but redshirts still count as a scholarship, right?

Not that MU would redshirt any of these guys, as we will need them all day 1.

Redshirts do count, McMorrow is an example of this.

jce

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 10:16:40 AM »
Redshirts do count, McMorrow is an example of this.

McMorrow is a transfer...not a redshirt.  He will only have three years of eligibility.

yellow chickens

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 10:33:09 AM »
McMorrow is a transfer...not a redshirt.  He will only have three years of eligibility.

Thats because he has already played one year. He is red shirting this year.

jce

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 10:39:59 AM »

Yep.  I spoke before looking it up.  Sorry about that Ahoya...

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 11:01:28 AM »
No worries. I had to refer to the trusty MUScoop scholarship table myself to verify that.

Mbakwe also counted as a scholarship going into last year. That's why we had the room to lift the redshirt, since he already was a schollie. I also believe transfers sitting out (like Acker) count too.

jce

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 11:06:02 AM »
No worries. I had to refer to the trusty MUScoop scholarship table myself to verify that.

Mbakwe also counted as a scholarship going into last year. That's why we had the room to lift the redshirt, since he already was a schollie. I also believe transfers sitting out (like Acker) count too.

Did we lift the redshirt on McMorrow?  I didn't catch that anywhere.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 11:10:17 AM »
So if Frozena was given the available scholarship this season can't they just use that scholarship on Jamil Wilson or Snaer and have Frozena return to being a walk-on next season.

Not to slight Rob but I'm sure he wouldn't mind seeing as he is very lucky to get even one season as a scholarship player.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 11:13:22 AM »
So if Frozena was given the available scholarship this season can't they just use that scholarship on Jamil Wilson or Snaer and have Frozena return to being a walk-on next season.

Not to slight Rob but I'm sure he wouldn't mind seeing as he is very lucky to get even one season as a scholarship player.

I believe the commentary being made here is that a scholarship is currently unfulfilled. Hence, the Froz could be given it for the season, but next season we are booked up on scholarships.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 11:15:04 AM »
McMorrow is not a redshirt, he's treated like any other transfer. Frozena can have a scholarship this year, and have it go elsewhere next. Scholarships are annual renewals.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 11:20:55 AM »
Oh ok thanks.  I wasn't sure if Frozena's scholarship was accounted for.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 01:21:28 PM »
I was referring to lifting the redshirt on Mbakwe last year.

As for Frozena, I was implying that he'd be under scholarship for this year only. We're carrying 12 scholarship players this year (not including Frozena), and we have 13 committed for next, also not including him. McMorrow definitely counts this year.

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 01:33:11 PM »
muwarrior87 and I concluded that because we have an extra scholarship they just gave it to Rob this year.  Its not like it hurts us in any way

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 01:55:02 PM »
My guess there's two possibilities that the staff is considering as to why they're still pursuing options:

1)  Possible transfer/non-qualification of a current freshman/sophomore or incoming recruit(s)
2)  Possible early pro declaration (NBA or overseas)/graduation of a member of the junior class

You can attach the names if you want, but looking at the individuals we are still pursuing, I would say that the staff is considering option #2 moreso than option #1.
The General has taken on a new command.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 02:06:15 PM »
I actually think #1 might be a bit more likely. I can't see any of the juniors leaving, unless Hayward blows up this year, but he still projects to be a bit of a tweener at the next level. Or maybe Cubillan goes back home to play pro ball or something. Obviously all speculation at this point.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 02:09:33 PM »
if snaer commits, somehow we will find a scholarship for him.

jce

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 02:18:14 PM »
Snaer or Wilson.  If either commit, my guess is that Hazel is "encouraged to transfer."  That would mean that the only non-Buzz players on the roster in 2009-10 would be the seniors Cubillan, Hayward and Acker.

ondo10

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 02:52:29 PM »

McMorrow is not redshirting this year.  He is sitting out per transfer rules.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 03:57:15 PM »
McMorrow is not redshirting this year.  He is sitting out per transfer rules.

Not true.  Redshirting doesn't just apply to players who choose to sit out the year because of injury or development issues.  Technically, anytime you are sitting out the entire year and not losing a year of eligibility, you are taking a redshirt year.  You can be a redshirt for academic reasons, redshirt for medical reasons, redshirt due to NCAA Transfer Requirements, redshirt due to personal choice etc.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 04:03:09 PM »
do you think that Buzz would "encourage" anyone to xfer? he seems very inclusive or 'family' oriented so to speak.

ondo10

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 05:34:15 PM »
Not true.  Redshirting doesn't just apply to players who choose to sit out the year because of injury or development issues.  Technically, anytime you are sitting out the entire year and not losing a year of eligibility, you are taking a redshirt year.  You can be a redshirt for academic reasons, redshirt for medical reasons, redshirt due to NCAA Transfer Requirements, redshirt due to personal choice etc.

The difference is a redshirt presumes that the player is eligible to play that year.  McMorrow is not eligible to play.  Unlike Mbakwe who was planning to take a redshirt year but then decided to play, McMorrow does not have that option.  There is a big difference.