[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Anybody else underwhelmed by Lockett thus far?  (Read 6357 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Anybody else underwhelmed by Lockett thus far?
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 10:40:08 AM »
Honestly, I hope Buzz just yanks the chains a bit and tells him to focus on offensive boards and shooting threes.  Don't worry about finding the open guy or making your own shot or your own play.  We have Junior, Otule/Garnder, Blue, and Wilson out there.  They can make the offense run.  I think Buzz will work this out by the new year.

That is not the role Buzz has for him...he wants him to drive into the paint to create space for a kick-out or for him to take it to the hoop for a foul. Paint touches. Lockett leads the team in free throw attempts and that will continue.  While he has to adjust to the physical game, he is well built and well suited for the JFB role.  He took a wide open trey against Bucky early in the shot clock that was in and out...and Buzz gave him a talk to take that open driving lane to the hoop instead. He has broken facial bones, bad ankles, and a big time adjustment to MU's style. He isn't the most efficient guy to start with, but Buzz is trying to transform him into the JFB role--so think free throws with him. Jamil is in the Jae role for the treys.  

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »
Not really, because I did not think he was as good as most here was expecting him to be. He also has to adapt to MU's offense, which takes time.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2016, 03:01:14 PM »
Who knows how Reinhardt will turn out, but I thought this was worth sharing from 4 years ago. Many similar thoughts about Lockett: solid D, questionable shooting, useful if unspectacular player.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2016, 03:16:31 PM »
Who knows how Reinhardt will turn out, but I thought this was worth sharing from 4 years ago. Many similar thoughts about Lockett: solid D, questionable shooting, useful if unspectacular player.
Lockett was a superior defender.  Shooting was not questionable, just having difficulty making shots.  Big issue for Lockett in the early days was his TO problem.  That got corrected.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2016, 03:39:57 PM »

And wearing a facial mask for three broken bones.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2016, 04:08:41 PM »
I always thought the Lockett hate was so unwarranted though. He did so many good things and never forced the issue. Theres just a different feeling about Katin, for me personally, hope im wrong, but I dont like the early signs.

Anyone remember Lockett's Senior Day speech btw? He really loved his one season at Marquette.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2016, 04:13:29 PM »
I always thought the Lockett hate was so unwarranted though. He did so many good things and never forced the issue. Theres just a different feeling about Katin, for me personally, hope im wrong, but I dont like the early signs.

Anyone remember Lockett's Senior Day speech btw? He really loved his one season at Marquette.
Yup, he just had TO issues his first few games. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2016, 06:57:27 PM »
Lockett embraced the "Glue Guy" role. He was a very important key to our success his year with us.  He was rewarded with a year in the D League which he leveraged into some good money in the European League the last two years. So things have gone well for him. I think if Reinhardt embraced the same role, it would help his career at the next level. Demonstrate that he can be a total player and not just a shooter. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2016, 07:59:09 PM »
Good bump, brew. Interesting to read our thoughts re Lockett.

I'm relieved to see that I wasn't too tough on him!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2016, 09:11:06 PM »
Meh, I don't see much parallel between the two other than being grad transfers.
No Finish Line

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2016, 09:38:18 PM »
That's the point.

The is expectation here is that grad transfers will have an immediate impact, as in game 1, because of their previous experience.  And when they don't, we start hearing calls in late November (Thanksgiving) that they are a bust.

We heard it with Lockett and then Carlino.  We are hearing it again with Katin.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2016, 09:47:58 PM »
But the complaints are different and the players are different. I think the frustrations with Lockett had to do with him finding his role. Reinhart has a whole different set of issues imo
No Finish Line

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2016, 09:49:21 PM »
That's the point.

The is expectation here is that grad transfers will have an immediate impact, as in game 1, because of their previous experience.  And when they don't, we start hearing calls in late November (Thanksgiving) that they are a bust.

So we shouldn't have higher expectations for a grad transfer vs a freshman?

I think the general vibe is disappointment in Katin. He seems to be a chucker/shooter, which is fine, if you're making your shots. Lockett wasn't great, but he excelled in the other areas - rebound, block, defense - outside of shooting that Katin doesn't seem to be as skilled in. If you're a chucker that isn't hitting, you should sit. I don't think that's an unreasonable position.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2016, 09:49:39 PM »
But the complaints are different and the players are different. I think the frustrations with Lockett had to do with him finding his role. Reinhart has a whole different set of issues imo

Beat me to it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2016, 11:22:20 PM »

I think the problem with Reinhardt is also about finding what role he's suited for, but I'm not sure it's necessarily him finding that role or the staff finding the role for him. I really feel that his skillset overlaps with Cheatham and Johnson, and to a lesser extent Duane and Hauser. It's hard to get him on the court with two others of those four at the same time.

They have to figure out what he does well. He's good at getting behind the defense and cutting to the hoop off the ball. Maybe try to run sets to get him inside. Whether it's just a back door cut or a pick and roll, try to get him moving at the rim and get him the ball on his way in. Hopefully create easy opportunities to gain confidence, and maybe the three point shots will follow.

I agree with the general consensus that last game at least, his three attempts, despite not falling, were mostly good attempts. Only 1 that I recall really felt that rushed. He had space, he had a clean look, you need to put that shot up. He needs to build confidence and find a way to coexist with Haanif and Jajuan.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 11:27:45 PM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2016, 11:24:36 PM »
That's the point.

Carlinos was absolutely absurd though. He was the only reason we won any games that year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2016, 08:10:56 AM »
I feel pretty good about my posts.    Disappointed in his initial production but optimistic that he would get better.    The interesting thing to me is the prescience about Jamil not becoming the next Jae/Jimmy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2016, 09:25:50 AM »
I think the problem with Reinhardt is also about finding what role he's suited for, but I'm not sure it's necessarily him finding that role or the staff finding the role for him. I really feel that his skillset overlaps with Cheatham and Johnson, and to a lesser extent Duane and Hauser. It's hard to get him on the court with two others of those four at the same time.

They have to figure out what he does well. He's good at getting behind the defense and cutting to the hoop off the ball. Maybe try to run sets to get him inside. Whether it's just a back door cut or a pick and roll, try to get him moving at the rim and get him the ball on his way in. Hopefully create easy opportunities to gain confidence, and maybe the three point shots will follow.

I agree with the general consensus that last game at least, his three attempts, despite not falling, were mostly good attempts. Only 1 that I recall really felt that rushed. He had space, he had a clean look, you need to put that shot up. He needs to build confidence and find a way to coexist with Haanif and Jajuan.

One set that they've run well is when Reinhardt cuts to the FT line, gets a pass and shoots the 13-to-16 footer. He has made three of those that I remember.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback