'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Could Ivy League offer scholarships or schools leave?  (Read 3137 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Could Ivy League offer scholarships or schools leave?
« on: October 16, 2022, 10:52:01 AM »
So this story this morning.  Was not aware their exemption ended.

Why Ivy League schools could award athletic scholarships in the future

David Borges
Oct. 16, 2022

https://www.ctinsider.com/college/article/Could-athletic-scholarships-be-coming-to-Ivy-17507200.php

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
Re: Could Ivy League offer scholarships or schools leave?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 01:34:48 PM »
Big difference between "can" and "will".

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 03:49:59 PM »
This would help level the playing field between the Ivy League and UW-Madison (if only in sports). I'm not going to act goofy and predict that Harvard could ever be Madison, but the folks in Cambridge can dream to truly be the UW-Madison of the East. ;D

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 03:55:49 PM »
This would help level the playing field between the Ivy League and UW-Madison (if only in sports). I'm not going to act goofy and predict that Harvard could ever be Madison, but the folks in Cambridge can dream to truly be the UW-Madison of the East. ;D

If Harvard plays the NIL game they will get the top 10 players every year. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 03:58:35 PM »
The Ivy aid model is actually advantageous in equivalency sports like Men’s Soccer and Baseball. It is not uncommon for them to get more in need based aid than they could be offered at a scholarship school limited to 9.9 scholarships in MSOC or 11.7 in BASE for the whole team.

And cry me a river, Brandon Sherrod. He chose Yale, got a nearly free degree from Yale he may not have had access too if not for basketball abilities, has access to employment networks 99% of college grads will never know (and even more than most Ivy grads graduating from Choat), and he’s complaining about having some student loans. He should have chosen Fairfield or Central Connecticut State).:He certainly mastered the Ivy sense of entitlement.  ::) ::)

My guess is he wouldn’t have been able to redshirt as a senior and keep his scholarship to travel the world singing acapella as a Whiffenpoof.

But,” he noted, “I always thought about what it would be like if I didn’t have any debt coming out of school. I think it would have been really nice to have started with a clean slate, and still having an Ivy League degree. And going out and choosing whatever career I want to choose.”
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 04:06:03 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 04:02:25 PM »
If Harvard plays the NIL game they will get the top 10 players every year.

They still have to get them in and meet the Ivy Index, which was increased about 10 years ago due Harvard’s basketball recruiting and lowering of academic credentials.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 04:06:55 PM by Billy Hoyle »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 04:07:52 PM »
The Ivy aid model is actually advantageous in equivalency sports like Men’s Soccer and Baseball. It is not uncommon for them to get more in need based aid than they could be offered at a scholarship school limited to 9.9 scholarships in MSOC or 11.7 in BASE for the whole team.

And cry me a river, Brandon Sherrod. He chose Yale, got a nearly free degree from Yale he may not have had access too if not for basketball abilities, has access to employment networks 99% of college grads will never know (and even more than most Ivy grads graduating from Choat), and he’s complaining about having some student loans. He should have chosen Fairfield or Central Connecticut State).:He certainly mastered the Ivy sense of entitlement.  ::) ::)

But,” he noted, “I always thought about what it would be like if I didn’t have any debt coming out of school. I think it would have been really nice to have started with a clean slate, and still having an Ivy League degree. And going out and choosing whatever career I want to choose.”

Yeah, what a jerk (who now runs free clinics for kids).

He should know that the Ivies are for rich people who get in as “legacies” and don’t need aid.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2022, 09:46:21 AM »
He should know that the Ivies are for rich people who get in as “legacies” and don’t need aid.

Notre Dame admits more legacies than Cornell.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2022, 10:10:11 AM »

Good to know.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2022, 10:16:17 AM »
Good to know.

A better point is that while Ivy schools admit fewer legacies that we think, their acceptance rate is considerably better than the 5-10% number overall. But to be fair, a number of special interest groups fare better than a 10% accept rate, including athletes.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 10:23:14 AM »
I know someone who went to an Ivy League School.  Was accepted into 4 very good schools and denied by 4 very good schools.  One of the schools that denied her was Wash U.  The family allegedly knew some people who have some knowledge of the acceptance process at Wash U and they were told that if they get students who are almost "overqualified" and know there's little chance they would choose Wash U they will deny them to keep their number down on how many people turn down their acceptance.  Is that actually a thing schools do?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2022, 11:37:42 AM »
I know someone who went to an Ivy League School.  Was accepted into 4 very good schools and denied by 4 very good schools.  One of the schools that denied her was Wash U.  The family allegedly knew some people who have some knowledge of the acceptance process at Wash U and they were told that if they get students who are almost "overqualified" and know there's little chance they would choose Wash U they will deny them to keep their number down on how many people turn down their acceptance.  Is that actually a thing schools do?
Yes it keeps school rating up. There has been suggestions MU do same, MU is a very popular safety school in that regard.
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2022, 12:00:13 PM »
A better point is that while Ivy schools admit fewer legacies that we think, their acceptance rate is considerably better than the 5-10% number overall. But to be fair, a number of special interest groups fare better than a 10% accept rate, including athletes.

Also good to know.

Curious where you get your stats on legacy admissions.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2022, 12:16:06 PM »

My guess is he wouldn’t have been able to redshirt as a senior and keep his scholarship to travel the world singing acapella as a Whiffenpoof.

I started with a clean slate because the cost of college was affordable for my working class parents to pay for a degree that cost less and had more purchasing power than the same high priced degree today. Some parents, though they want their children highly educated, are asking is college worth the cost today? There are careers to choose from without going into debt.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2022, 12:18:52 PM »
Yeah, what a jerk (who now runs free clinics for kids).

If he’s running free clinics (when not playing pro basketball abroad, an playing in the TBT) then everything worked out fir him despite having to take our a few thousand in loans.

Only MU82 Would feel sorry for a Chote and Yale grad and think a guy like that got a raw deal.  ::)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2022, 12:26:05 PM »
If he’s running free clinics (when not playing pro basketball abroad, an playing in the TBT) then everything worked out fir him despite having to take our a few thousand in loans.

Only MU82 Would feel sorry for a Chote and Yale grad and think a guy like that got a raw deal.  ::)

Who said anything about feeling sorry for anybody?

Find another strawman, chicosjr.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2022, 12:27:17 PM »

There is admission of kids designated as “legacies” who can simply be someone whose sibling is a current student or parents are graduates and still  through the regular admission process, and automatically admitting someone based solely on their legacy standing and donor history. Not only do Ivy schools send the big dollar/powerful connection legacy applicants through a separate admission process (see: Jared Kuschner) but once in they are protected academically and basically guaranteed to graduate with honors.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 07:38:45 PM by Billy Hoyle »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2022, 12:29:10 PM »
Who said anything about feeling sorry for anybody?

Find another strawman, chicosjr.

Says the the old man who is king of the straw man.

Obsession…

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2022, 12:30:20 PM »
Says the the old man who is king of the straw man.

Obsession…

Don't you have some books to ban?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2022, 12:51:11 PM »

He hardly sounds entitled. He admits he received a great education, wonders what it would have been like had he went elsewhere, and is glad that future Yale students may get athletic scholarships.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2022, 02:46:06 PM »

Sorry to be a jerk but it is Choate was in same conference and competed against them '76-'79. Complete name is Choate Rosemary Hall, sounds soft so they go by Choate.
Goal is National Championship

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2022, 04:12:54 PM »

Yes, it is. My son was accepted to UPenn (he is a freshman there) and waitlisted at Michigan. He was denied at others (Stanford, MIT, USC). Michigan asked him to send an additional essay saying he really wanted to go there before they would move him along in the process. His roommate at Penn is a NYC, boarding school kid, and a legacy. It’s definitely a massaging of the numbers.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2022, 09:35:18 AM »
“ Ivy League schools boast endowments ranging from $7 billion to $54 billion.”
We Are Marquette

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2022, 09:53:30 AM »
His roommate at Penn is a NYC, boarding school kid, and a legacy. It’s definitely a massaging of the numbers.

Many of the same people who are outraged about colleges improving their diversity by admitting intelligent minority students who might not qualify by standardized tests seem to have absolutely no problem with legacies getting in, whether they are qualified or not.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2022, 10:31:08 AM »
'Legacies'.   See:  Bronny James and Nike.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback