[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by wadesworld
[May 06, 2024, 10:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: PGA Championship  (Read 12844 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: PGA Championship
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2018, 08:45:56 AM »
I'm not much of a golf guy but these last two majors have been fun.  If his game stays together, Tiger has a real shot at one next year.  I'm looking forward to seeing if he can turn it on in the Ryder cup.

I kind of wish the Masters were coming up in a month. Tiger has really found his game in the last couple of months and I just hope he can keep it together for another 8 months.....I think he's got 1 or 2 more majors in him if he stay in this form.

Didn't realize how much I missed the Tiger roar until hearing it on 10 yesterday.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2018, 09:56:44 AM »
I mean I know WHY they are doing it, but I think the PGA might struggle in May. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2018, 11:02:26 AM »
I kind of wish the Masters were coming up in a month. Tiger has really found his game in the last couple of months and I just hope he can keep it together for another 8 months.....I think he's got 1 or 2 more majors in him if he stay in this form.

Didn't realize how much I missed the Tiger roar until hearing it on 10 yesterday.

There has never been a more important figure to their sport than Tiger. Forget moving the needle, love him or hate him, Tiger Woods is the needle for golf. The only comparison I can think that comes close is Serena Williams for women's tennis.

While Koepka, Spieth, and Fowler are great golfers, they just don't draw you in like Tiger does and has for the past 20 years.

Edit: Just found the tv ratings 69% market share increase from last year.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/tiger-woods-pga-championship-2018-tv-ratings/
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 11:08:02 AM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2018, 11:24:01 AM »
There has never been a more important figure to their sport than Tiger. Forget moving the needle, love him or hate him, Tiger Woods is the needle for golf. The only comparison I can think that comes close is Serena Williams for women's tennis.

While Koepka, Spieth, and Fowler are great golfers, they just don't draw you in like Tiger does and has for the past 20 years.

Give proper citation to the tweet you jacked that from yesterday!  Haha.

Arguing Tiger's impact to golf is foolish.  But there is a difference.  When Tiger burst on the scene, he was an absolute anomaly.  An athletic beast who hit the ball a mile, played extremely aggressive, and was demonstrative.  Besides the obvious racial differences, he was a stark contrast to the older conservative majority on tour, even the younger talents fit more of the traditional mold.  He was easy to market to a younger demographic for all those reasons and he (and Nike) did so much to develop golf.

Because of that impact, the nature of players and talent on tour changed.  All the young studs play like Tiger.  Even at his prime, there are plenty of the top guys like Koepka, Rory, DJ, Justin Thomas, etc.. who could hang with him in driving distance.  They all play aggressive and swashbuckling styles.  They all are much more relatable to the average millennial than Davis Love or Tom Kite.  Much of this is thanks to Tiger and his marketing impact, but this isn't 2000, the draw is different.

It boils down to do you like golf or do you like Tiger.  Many people argue the Tiger impact and claim the former, but its really the latter.  Not watching tournaments without Tiger or without Tiger in contention doesn't make you a golf fan.  Saying its not exciting without Tiger, when there are guys playing like Tiger and they are super fun to watch in the same way, makes you a Tiger fan, not a golf fan.  And thats perfectly fine, just be honest about what it is though.  Its like people claiming to be big college basketball fans yet only watching their alma mater's games and then filling out a bracket.

Hell, people were going crazy about Tiger meanwhile Koepka in the lead was hitting MONSTER drives and shooting right at tight pins, didn't even come close to getting conservative. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2018, 11:34:31 AM »
I would say that im a major fan with a heavy Tiger bias. Ah hell, probably just a Toger fan if we're being honest.

Koepka just doesn't do it for me. No emotion, no smiles, no anger, no fist bumps, hell, not even a slap of five. He's just so boring.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2018, 11:36:51 AM »
Saw a few tweets yesterday that noted tiger's weekend and round 2-4 scores were some of the lowest he has ever had in a major in his career. At 42. And didn't win.

Next year will be fun.

Top 8 Ryder cup guys announced today. Zero chance tiger isn't included, right?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2018, 12:08:09 PM »
The 8 are the current automatic qualifiers.  Tiger is 11th in points.  So he not officially in you can safely assume he will be a captains pick..
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2018, 02:00:24 PM »
There has never been a more important figure to their sport than Tiger.

There has never been a more important figure to other players in their sport than Tiger.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2018, 02:05:34 PM »
The 8 are the current automatic qualifiers.  Tiger is 11th in points.  So he not officially in you can safely assume he will be a captains pick..

Very glad that Tiger both (i) is in the top 12 in points and (ii) is ending the season as hot as anyone in golf other than Koepka. There really isn't a counterargument to putting him on the team, and I'm glad we don't have to deal with a month of debate about whether Tiger should have been a captain's pick after missing the cut at the PGA and finishing 16th in the points.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2018, 02:06:09 PM »
Saw a few tweets yesterday that noted tiger's weekend and round 2-4 scores were some of the lowest he has ever had in a major in his career. At 42. And didn't win.

Next year will be fun.

Top 8 Ryder cup guys announced today. Zero chance tiger isn't included, right?

Tiger and Phil are locks for the Ryder. We'll see how they play down the stretch, but I think Kuch is a near lock being Kuch. Bryson, Kis and Xander fighting for the last spot. Tiger loves Bryson, and they play the same ball. I think that gives him the early nod. Kis has made a nice resume, but keeps pooping himself on the weekend, not a great look for the Ryder Cup team. I really like Xander too, but I think Bryson makes it.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2018, 02:19:25 PM »
Tiger and Phil are locks for the Ryder. We'll see how they play down the stretch, but I think Kuch is a near lock being Kuch. Bryson, Kis and Xander fighting for the last spot. Tiger loves Bryson, and they play the same ball. I think that gives him the early nod. Kis has made a nice resume, but keeps pooping himself on the weekend, not a great look for the Ryder Cup team. I really like Xander too, but I think Bryson makes it.

I believe Tony Finau will also be in the discussion mix. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2018, 02:41:09 PM »
Tiger and Phil are locks.   Pick two of the following..... Finau, Xander, Bryson, Kuchar, Zach Johnson, Kisner. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2018, 02:46:52 PM »
I believe Tony Finau will also be in the discussion mix. 

Yep, forgot Finau.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2018, 09:41:40 PM »
I'll repeat what I said after the British:

I fully expect to Tiger to win another major, and maybe more.

If Mickelson can win one at 43, certainly Tiger can.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2018, 09:41:47 PM »
Don't let these guys get you down Herman.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

tower912

• All American
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2018, 05:51:45 AM »
At the beginning of the year, I did not think that Tiger would win another major.   My thinking on it has evolved.    Assuming he stays healthy, I think he wins another.    I don't think the intimidation factor is still there, however.    All of the young guys said how cool it was to hear the Tiger roars.    Koepka said that the roars meant he had to hit another good shot.   

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2018, 09:02:59 AM »
At the beginning of the year, I did not think that Tiger would win another major.   My thinking on it has evolved.    Assuming he stays healthy, I think he wins another.    I don't think the intimidation factor is still there, however.    All of the young guys said how cool it was to hear the Tiger roars.    Koepka said that the roars meant he had to hit another good shot.

Was watching something on the 2008 US open last night. Thought Rocco Mediate had a great mindset.

Essentially Said something along the lines of Tiger was going to get his, if you're expecting that run to happen the entire time it's much easier to manage.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2018, 09:32:06 AM »
There simply are more great players on the tour today, guys who can do everything Tiger can -- and many of those things better more consistently.

When Tiger was in his heyday -- 2000-2007 -- he was a freak. He drove it longer than just about anybody, he was better with his irons than just about anybody, he was the best clutch putter on tour, he was physically stronger than anybody, he had the best work ethic, etc.

I remember Jack being asked if he thought Tiger would break his record; he laughed and said something like: "Well, he drives it better than anybody, hits his approaches closer to the pin than anybody, putts better than anybody, and outworks everybody. I'd be stunned if he didn't blow past my record."

These days, there are dozens of great, young golfers with complete games who can out-drive him. Many of those guys have won at least one major -- they have the experience of closing out a championship tournament against top competition. They are not intimidated by him at all. And none of them have had back fusions or the other serious injuries Tiger has had. When they talk about Tiger, they do so with reverence, but they also say stuff like, "Yeah, he was my favorite when I was 10." Ouch.

I love watching Tiger play and the tour is better when he's out there. I hope he wins another major or three, and I really do think it can happen. But the landscape is different. He'll never again be as good as he was, and those around him are much better.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2018, 10:17:35 AM »
There simply are more great players on the tour today, guys who can do everything Tiger can -- and many of those things better more consistently.

When Tiger was in his heyday -- 2000-2007 -- he was a freak. He drove it longer than just about anybody, he was better with his irons than just about anybody, he was the best clutch putter on tour, he was physically stronger than anybody, he had the best work ethic, etc.

I remember Jack being asked if he thought Tiger would break his record; he laughed and said something like: "Well, he drives it better than anybody, hits his approaches closer to the pin than anybody, putts better than anybody, and outworks everybody. I'd be stunned if he didn't blow past my record."

These days, there are dozens of great, young golfers with complete games who can out-drive him. Many of those guys have won at least one major -- they have the experience of closing out a championship tournament against top competition. They are not intimidated by him at all. And none of them have had back fusions or the other serious injuries Tiger has had. When they talk about Tiger, they do so with reverence, but they also say stuff like, "Yeah, he was my favorite when I was 10." Ouch.

I love watching Tiger play and the tour is better when he's out there. I hope he wins another major or three, and I really do think it can happen. But the landscape is different. He'll never again be as good as he was, and those around him are much better.

I think this is right, put another way because of young Tiger, old Tiger has a lot more competition right now. Regardless of his health issues I think this was all inevitable. Players like Brooks Koepka and Dustin Johnson, etc are playing golf because Tiger showed that there was an inefficiency in the sport around athletic, big hitters that can muscle their way around a course and be really successful. If you teleport old Tiger(at least from last 2 majors) to 2003 and remove new Tiger, I think he is still pretty dominant.

Bottom line, Tiger seems to be 80-90% of his former self, but since he's been gone from his peak that quality of the tour players has gone up significantly. Or maybe this is all recency bias.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2018, 11:40:43 AM »
I have been an avid golfer and fan of golf my entire life and have always had one guy I pulled for to get the W. Over the years I have pulled for Jack, Norman and Tiger and have loved every minute of having a guy to root for. That said, while I watch golf every chance I get, when those three guys were/are in the hunt, it makes for a special Sunday of TV.

Tiger made golf cool. I remember being a pudgy kid from age 8-16 dressed in golf clothes all summer and getting some lip service. Luckily I was good enough of a player, and played at a great course every day, that I really could not have cared less. Now I am a pudgy old guy that can play a lick but am getting ready to hit the links today to turn back the clock on my game. I am feeling a low number today!!!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2018, 12:04:30 PM »

Very well said.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2018, 01:43:25 PM »
Bottom line, Tiger seems to be 80-90% of his former self, but since he's been gone from his peak that quality of the tour players has gone up significantly. Or maybe this is all recency bias.

Yes to your first sentence, no to your second.

It's not recency bias at all. It's fact, and it's easy to see that it's fact.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2018, 04:15:05 AM »

Tiger is still intimidating. Koepka Has a cold stone set of nerves and was able to hold him off. The rest weren’t able to and will not be able to in future majors if he is healthy. Winning at the highest level in Golf is about controlling emotions and no one can do that like Tiger.

The only problem Tiger has right now is the swing he created to save his back depends on perfect timing of hands and arms as he doesn’t really torque the body as much. That precision is hard to consistent repeat ,As a result he is not very accurate with the driver . When he gets it in the fairway his irons and short game are still very elite.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2018, 09:48:45 AM »
Tiger is still intimidating.

This is impossible for you to prove.

On the other hand, the evidence strongly suggests the opposite is true. His playing partner in the British Open -- who definitely is not as imposing or accomplished as Koepka -- stared down Tiger, kept his composure, and beat him down the stretch, shot after shot after shot.

And now Koepka, playing two groups behind Tiger, actually being psyched UP (as opposed to psyched out) by the cheers he was hearing. The Tiger Factor motivated him.

So that's two majors Tiger contended in, and two times the winner wasn't the least bit intimidated.

Not sure why it's important to you to "prove" this ... but do let us know when you can.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2018, 10:29:25 PM »
This is impossible for you to prove.

On the other hand, the evidence strongly suggests the opposite is true. His playing partner in the British Open -- who definitely is not as imposing or accomplished as Koepka -- stared down Tiger, kept his composure, and beat him down the stretch, shot after shot after shot.

And now Koepka, playing two groups behind Tiger, actually being psyched UP (as opposed to psyched out) by the cheers he was hearing. The Tiger Factor motivated him.

So that's two majors Tiger contended in, and two times the winner wasn't the least bit intimidated.

Not sure why it's important to you to "prove" this ... but do let us know when you can.

Your the only person using the word Prove. I am just stating my opinion. You have a different one.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire