'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: observations from the game (in person)  (Read 5177 times)

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
observations from the game (in person)
« on: November 20, 2006, 11:05:11 PM »
Rocky and I were at the game sitting behind MU's first half basket.  As such, we had a fairly good look at the team throughout the game.

Here are my observations:
1.) The first thing I noticed and continued to notice the entire game was mcneal has an INCREDIBLE awareness and vision of the court.  I watched his eyes and he would never look directly at anything.. you could tell he was almost completely using his peripheral vision and making darn good decisions based on it (usually).  He could tell where the opponents were going to be and where he would best take (or send) the ball.
2.) Barro had a pseudo-breakout first half then all of the bigs seemed to disappear for the 2nd half.
3.) We play fast.  Much much faster than it even looks like on tv.
4.) Cubillan has some serious energy and gets after the opponent with attitude.  Several times he would clap his hands at the opponent and say stuff like "are we gonna play or what" while the opponent is clearly exerting themselves.. cubillan looked like he was running circles around them many times.
5.) first half fouls were very much under control.  second half foul situation seemed to be unfairly lopsided (although I always hate to blame the refs for unequal calling, there were phantom calls against MU all over and meanwhile our guys are getting mugged on the other side).  But they played through it and kept their composure.
6.) TT's valentine (#5) was unbelievably good for his size (he's only 5'7" tall and still lead them in scoring with 17 points - had several steals and quick breaks as well).
7.) Duke plays a MUCH slower pace and I get the feeling they may very well be a.) lost at our pace and b.) tired by the second half.  Their D wasn't that great (air force's shooting percentage must have been fairly high in the first half at least).

other notes:
1.) Dukie V. was there of course.. look for pictures from rocky.
2.) duke fans were in abundance.  My theory is that duke fans travel so much because that's the only way many of them can see their team play in person (due to the small size of their home arena).
3.) There were some MU fans but yellow was clearly in the minority (hence the tv camera focusing on our group many times - we were on ESPN2 at least twice and probably ESPNU twice more).
4.) arena isn't too bad given its age.  had the feel of the old mecca.
5.) I have tremendous respect for hilltopper's camera abilities now.. my camera shots all came out blurry even with pre-focusing and sports mode enabled.  we'll try to get better ones tomorrow.
6.) being happy duke won left me feeling dirty but giving all the players high fives on their way through the tunnel had a cleansing effect - perhaps that shower may never come now  8)
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: observations from the game (in person)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 11:31:10 PM »
oh.. and one more thing.. when blackledge turns sideways he really DOES dissapear!
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 12:02:36 AM »
Not much to add (esp since many of you have already seen the team)...but a few things

- I'm really liking cubillan and blackledge.  Trend is coming into his own too.  All 3 are VERY active on defense.  Of course, the entire team is VERY active on defense, I especially noticed Cubillan and Fitz (before he went down) all over the place (even if Fitz did miss a switch).

- I still feel like we're moving too fast for our own good sometimes, but I guess you have to take the good with the bad.  As long as it still leads to wins, i can take the bad.

- Hope we'll see more MU fans tomorrow.  Good crowd, but Duke clearly owned the house.  It'll be a tough game tomorrow.  Hopefully we can convert some TT and Air Force fans.

-Glad to meet some fellow 'scoopers at the game.  Hopefully we'll see a few new faces (err...screen names) around here soon too.

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 12:08:31 AM »
My one extra comment from watching the game on TV is about Dwight Burke.  I thought he played extremely well in the first half, doing a nice job on the boards, and even had that real nifty spin move around the basket.  When we start seeing good big men -- starting tomorrow with McRoberts -- I think Burke will be able to a pretty good job as a guy off the bench.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 08:14:35 AM »
Great report, guys!  Keep it up!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 10:31:02 AM »
- Hope we'll see more MU fans tomorrow.  Good crowd, but Duke clearly owned the house.  It'll be a tough game tomorrow.  Hopefully we can convert some TT and Air Force fans.

If we can get the TT/AFA fans on our side (not unthinkable given the Duke hate and Marquette's underdog status), will that outnumber the Duke fans?  Or did Duke have a clear majority?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 11:01:38 AM »
If we grab all the AFA and TT fans, we would have a much bigger crowd than duke (get some yellow shirts for these people!).  Individually though, the Dukies blue t-shirts were the most prominent.  Wow I'm pumped!  I think I need some BBQ :)

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 11:13:29 AM »
I think I need some BBQ :)

alright alright.. i'll go get in the shower and then we can go.. geesh..

btw - should we start unleashing some of the stuff we've been working on rocky?  ;D

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 03:22:34 PM »
If there weren't so many new posts to read, I could focus on the new features more :P

BTW....MMMMM....BBQ...(babyback ribs...)

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 04:11:14 PM »
I went to a wedding in KC last year and can still taste those Jack Stack ribs. 

feedback