[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: One of the more disappointing aspects of this season  (Read 20401 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: One of the more disappointing aspects of this season
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2015, 04:48:45 PM »
Sure, we won with Junior at PG....whether he was a stud or not is up for debate. 

OK, Chicos. You want to make that up for debate, that is your right.

I'm sure Junior himself and his immediate family might say he was a stud PG for us. You are free to agree with them.

Otherwise, I've yet to hear even Junior's biggest supporters here call him a "stud PG."

I'll sign off on this now. You are free to have the last word if you want.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2015, 10:20:36 PM »
Considering his background I feel very comfortable that Wojo values stud PG play, the biggest problem is landing them like his former boss often does.

I'd be happy to get those that our former former coach got for us or is currently getting in his new gig. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2015, 10:33:33 PM »
OK, Chicos. You want to make that up for debate, that is your right.

I'm sure Junior himself and his immediate family might say he was a stud PG for us. You are free to agree with them.

Otherwise, I've yet to hear even Junior's biggest supporters here call him a "stud PG."

I'll sign off on this now. You are free to have the last word if you want.

Of course Junior was not a "stud" point guard. Neither is the kid at Virginia or any number of others who have consistently won as PGs without being "studs". But it doesn't fit "Chico's Law", so he'll make that obvious fact a matter of opinion. LOL.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2015, 08:54:28 AM »
Can always always always find exceptions to the rule.  Acknowledged.  Stipulated.  Just as there are QB's that "manage" a game and can win a Super Bowl without being great.  Again, will stipulate.  Those exceptions exist, always will.  For the record, it's one of the reasons I don't think UVa goes to the Final Four despite their lofty ranking (over ranked IMO).  We'll see...all about matchups in the tournament, who's hot, one bad day...crap shoot. 

Junior could keep a team honest with this shot, both on the outside and as a penetrator.  He could actually make 50% of his free throws as well (career 68%).

And yes, I mean year in and year out consistency, you need a stud PG (define as you will)....there will be exceptions to the rule.  I can rattle off a ton of ELITE programs that did not perform well in the last decade because they did not have a PG up to snuff.  North Carolina.  UCLA.  Etc.  Sometimes enough talent around an average PG is enough, but that is the exception to the rule in my opinion.

Disagree with you, DJ was a stud PG as was Diener.

I forgot about Dominic. Yes, he was a stud, so we do agree on that. IMO, Diener was the better of the two, simply by looking at his improvement and shooting. Dom peaked his Frosh-Soph years, but was a stud.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2015, 09:03:34 AM »
Travis played all 31 games in the 2003-04 season and averaged 34 MPG - wasn't hurt. He did miss 8 games in 04-05. We weren't even on the bubble those two years.

Bottom line: Travis last 2 + Dom + Tony = 9 years and 3 NCAA wins

Junior's 3 = 7 NCAA wins.

Travis, Dom and Tony were "studs". Junior wasn't. Neither is the kid at Virginia. IMO, neither is Travon Jackson or Koenig. Many others on "consistent winners", no doubt.

Conclusion: You CAN win consistently without a stud point guard. You're provably, factually wrong. What new?

I would agree, Lenny that you can win consistently without a stud PG, but you just proved above that the PG needs to be pretty good to win consistently by your examples. Dom and Travis were studs and Tony was damn good, with Junior as pretty good, just below Tony, IMO.

But there is no comparison between those 4 and Derrick. Not a slam against Derrick--simply a statement of talent.

Prediction: Now somebody from the Derrick slurp society will come up with the theory that Junior was good because Derrick was playing behind him and pushing him. Book it.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.