[May 19, 2024, 06:23:47 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Schedule Talk with Mike Broeker by Shooter McGavin
[May 19, 2024, 01:06:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Polar Bear allegedly chased humans  (Read 2959 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Polar Bear allegedly chased humans
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2023, 05:04:57 AM »
The eye witness accounts and dead mother and child notwithstanding.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2023, 05:37:48 AM »
Does this mean Brian Butch won't be announcing any more games?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2023, 07:52:51 AM »
The eye witness accounts and dead mother and child notwithstanding.

I didn't mean to upset you but it's beyond unusual for a Polar Bear to chase down humans unless they perceive their cubs are being threatened.  They also run in the 25-30 mph range in the snow.  I find the story implausible.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2023, 07:55:56 AM »
Muggsy, it is unusual.   Agreed.   The bear had chased other villagers and was shot by a villager while it was attacking the two victims.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2023, 08:00:47 AM »
Muggsy, it is unusual.   Agreed.   The bear had chased other villagers and was shot by a villager while it was attacking the two victims.

I guess this did happen in Wales, AK in 1990 according to one article I perused.  The town does not have a PBP (Polar Bear Patrol)....although I don't know what that entails. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2023, 08:03:31 AM »
I guess this did happen in Wales, AK in 1990 according to one article I perused.  The town does not have a PBP (Polar Bear Patrol)....although I don't know what that entails.

Polar bears should be armed
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2023, 08:05:08 AM »
I'm the only one looking at this rationally. There is less than a .5% chance the Polar Bear ran down two dumbasses because he/she was either hungry or vindictive. The most likely scenario is a human did something stupid and the Polat Bear justifiably got angry.

Muggsy, your heart is in the right place, but no, you are not the only one looking at this rationally.

However, bear attacks on humans are, I believe, are triggered primarily by human error- getting close to cubs in order to get a cute photo of them (STUPID!), investigating the remains of a carcass in Denali National Park, oblivious that the bear may be nearby and will protect its dinner, leaving food waste where bears can locate it with their phenomenal sense of smell, etc. On a wilderness trio to Alaska in the 80's, our guide was emphatic about takin precautions. He would rip into anyone violating the rules. I have bear claw marks at the tops of my vehicle's door frames thanks to a stupid neighbor, no doubt, who left food in his vehicle. 

Now how much does the average person know, and, more importantly, is willing to accept regarding bear behavior? You can rail against the ignorance and stupidity, but once a bear attacks, the assumption is that it has lost its fear of confronting humans and is prone to attack again. Yeah, that sounds weird, but they avoid and seem to fear humans, even though they can easily kick our asses. Note that I agree entirely that the fault is usually humans, but are we then to say that the bear should be left alone and given a second chance?   

Edit: I believe that polar bears regard humans as prey, unlike all the other bears.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 08:44:18 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2023, 08:06:58 AM »

My layman's understanding is that polar bears are alone among bears in regarding humans as prey.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2023, 08:44:51 AM »
I'm the only one looking at this rationally. There is less than a .5% chance the Polar Bear ran down two dumbasses because he/she was either hungry or vindictive.

Could I see your math on this?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2023, 08:51:12 AM »
There's a restaurant in Chicago that will occasionally serve bear. They have a style called "berry bear" apparently bears only eat berries during a certain season and it turns their fat blueish and makes the meat super sweet.

Point is, I hope they eat this bear maybe use the pelt. Make a bear broth from the bones.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2023, 09:10:54 AM »
There's a restaurant in Chicago that will occasionally serve bear. They have a style called "berry bear" apparently bears only eat berries during a certain season and it turns their fat blueish and makes the meat super sweet.

Point is, I hope they eat this bear maybe use the pelt. Make a bear broth from the bones.

BearHuman pudding from the entrails.   Mmmmm.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2023, 09:27:55 AM »
BearHuman pudding from the entrails.   Mmmmm.

If it they made black pudding and it was berry season you could call it "Blackbeary pudding"
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2023, 01:40:18 PM »
I'm sympathetic to the plight of polar bears and have long found them to be fascinating in many ways, easily the most interesting of the bear family (childhood love for sun bears not withstanding). 

That being said, the few times Ive eaten bear its been absolutely delicious.  I'm an unabashed lover of exotic/wild game proteins

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2023, 01:59:32 PM »
I'm sympathetic to the plight of polar bears and have long found them to be fascinating in many ways, easily the most interesting of the bear family (childhood love for sun bears not withstanding). 

That being said, the few times Ive eaten bear its been absolutely delicious.  I'm an unabashed lover of exotic/wild game proteins
So you enjoy animal meat? I guess that makes you a human being.

I'd like to try bear someday just haven't had the opportunity. I do enjoy caribou/reindeer.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2023, 02:09:49 PM »
So you enjoy animal meat? I guess that makes you a human being.

I'd like to try bear someday just haven't had the opportunity. I do enjoy caribou/reindeer.

HAR HAR.  I haven't met a "different" wild game I havent enjoyed.  Meanwhile I'm not a huge fan of non-bacon/pork belly forms of pork or turkey.  If I could easily substitute bison, wild boar, and ostrich for beef, pork, and turkey, Id happily never eat the latter again

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2023, 02:45:41 PM »
Muggsy, your heart is in the right place, but no, you are not the only one looking at this rationally.

However, bear attacks on humans are, I believe, are triggered primarily by human error- getting close to cubs in order to get a cute photo of them (STUPID!), investigating the remains of a carcass in Denali National Park, oblivious that the bear may be nearby and will protect its dinner, leaving food waste where bears can locate it with their phenomenal sense of smell, etc. On a wilderness trio to Alaska in the 80's, our guide was emphatic about takin precautions. He would rip into anyone violating the rules. I have bear claw marks at the tops of my vehicle's door frames thanks to a stupid neighbor, no doubt, who left food in his vehicle. 

Now how much does the average person know, and, more importantly, is willing to accept regarding bear behavior? You can rail against the ignorance and stupidity, but once a bear attacks, the assumption is that it has lost its fear of confronting humans and is prone to attack again. Yeah, that sounds weird, but they avoid and seem to fear humans, even though they can easily kick our asses. Note that I agree entirely that the fault is usually humans, but are we then to say that the bear should be left alone and given a second chance?   

Edit: I believe that polar bears regard humans as prey, unlike all the other bears.

I dunno....I think they may be misunderstood Scoop Snoop. 🐻‍❄

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2023, 03:57:49 PM »
Ours Polaire

Anchorage's finest new dining experience.

Free range polar bear is captured, slaughtered and smoked carefully to embrace the tenderness of the meat and the flavor of the Northland.

Here, an entire side of Polar Bear is racked and smoked in a facility open to the main dining room. Regular diners can see the evolution of the meat, from virgin polar bear to a tender, flavorful slice of the open range prepared and served the same way as Native Americans did a century ago.

Saddle of Polar Bear is smoked in birchwood and served on a blanket of kale. Flavored lightly with rosemary, red pepper and sea salt, the meat is accompanied by au gratin potatoes and a garnish of Brussel sprout. Knowledgeable diners begin their meal with walrus tartar, which is smoked in mesquite and tenderized with a red wine vinaigrette glaze.

A second dish worthy of Alaska's finest dining establishment was Pate d'ours polaire, or Polar Bear Pate. The pate is made from the polar bear's liver and is combined with wine, salt, herbs, mushrooms and sometimes baby seal meat. The taste was exceptional and Chef Renee Pogue has specialized in farm to table ingredients, even amid Alaska's limited growing season. The combination of polar bear liver and spices is a warm and inviting flavor that combines the rugged flavor of the Arctic with the subtly of Southern France.

Both dishes were washed down with a 2018 Caymus Cabernet. Celebratory diners have reached for a 2012 Heitz Martha's Vineyard or a 2003 Opus One.

The environment of Ours Polarie is truly Alaskan. The dining room itself is glass and metallic with soft amenities around the table. The restaurant is open to glass walls on three sides with the view overlooking the sound and two retention pens, also known as feed lots, where the polar bears are fattened and marbled before slaughter. Ours Polarie slaughters and processes the polar bears itself to assure a consistent and strong flavor and quality. Most of the slaughtering is undertaken while the restaurant is not open.

Our reviewer gives Ours Polarie four stars. The restaurant is open Tuesday to Saturday from 4:30 p.m., to 11:00 p.m.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2023, 08:24:18 PM »
In one episode of "Still Standing" with Jonny Harris of Murdock Mysteries, I believe he goes to Churchill Canada and interviews a resident attacked by a polar bear.  I believe she was saved be a neighbor that either clubbed the bear or punched it in the face.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 08:26:57 PM by NCMUFan »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2023, 10:06:39 PM »
Does this mean Brian Butch won't be announcing any more games?

I enjoyed this.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2023, 11:29:01 PM »
I'm the only one looking at this rationally. There is less than a .5% chance the Polar Bear ran down two dumbasses because he/she was either hungry or vindictive. The most likely scenario is a human did something stupid and the Polat Bear justifiably got angry.

You are a legit crazy person.

Should be forced to watch 7 more bears executed just for having such an insane take.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2023, 07:01:01 AM »

Should be forced to watch 7 more bears executed just for having such an insane take.

Or slaughtered for dinner!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2023, 07:09:46 AM »

This is uncalled for PGH. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2023, 07:10:17 AM »
Had polar bear bacon, two sunny side eggs and whole wheat toast for breakfast today.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2023, 07:17:17 AM »
Had polar bear bacon, two sunny side eggs and whole wheat toast for breakfast today.

Polar Bear short ribs are the bomb.

Of course, on a polar bear, they really aren't all that short...
Have some patience, FFS.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2023, 07:49:40 AM »

That's a waste of a good polar bear, especially when served with eggs. Something I'd expect to see at the Anchorage Waffle House!