[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129060 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #11050 on: August 24, 2021, 08:36:29 AM »
We're going to have to learn to live with the Covid-19 virus floating around. It's doubtful the disease will completely go away. Rather, I suspect it will be like the flu -- ebbing and flowing depending on season and people's habits.

We're not going to solve the problem by taking extreme measures to protect the 20 percent to 30 percent of society so ignorant that they won't get vaccinated. It's folly to assume that we can just shut American life down because a segment of the population doesn't like the idea of vaccination. Instead, we sunset the extraordinary provisions associated with Covid-19.

One big issue is how the government communicates. We've been told we need a booster shot and I'm all in for it. But it would be nice if in a clear, concise format, the government communicates why  we need the booster and what the perceived benefits will be. And why is eight months the prescribed interval?

Clarity and realism will go a long way toward making Covid-19 an afterthought.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11051 on: August 24, 2021, 09:30:16 AM »
We're going to have to learn to live with the Covid-19 virus floating around. It's doubtful the disease will completely go away. Rather, I suspect it will be like the flu -- ebbing and flowing depending on season and people's habits.

We're not going to solve the problem by taking extreme measures to protect the 20 percent to 30 percent of society so ignorant that they won't get vaccinated. It's folly to assume that we can just shut American life down because a segment of the population doesn't like the idea of vaccination. Instead, we sunset the extraordinary provisions associated with Covid-19.

One big issue is how the government communicates. We've been told we need a booster shot and I'm all in for it. But it would be nice if in a clear, concise format, the government communicates why  we need the booster and what the perceived benefits will be. And why is eight months the prescribed interval?

Agree with what you say, but that doesn't fit in a tweet, which is how we govern now.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11052 on: August 24, 2021, 09:45:08 AM »

Ahem ...
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s0818-covid-19-booster-shots.html

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11053 on: August 24, 2021, 10:27:48 AM »

Define extreme measures

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #11054 on: August 24, 2021, 10:49:56 AM »
Agree with what you say, but that doesn't fit in a tweet, which is how we govern now.

No. It was how we governed from Jan 20, 2017 - Jan 20, 2021.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11055 on: August 24, 2021, 10:51:59 AM »
Define extreme measures

And "shut American life down."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11056 on: August 24, 2021, 11:07:18 AM »

Politics.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 11:41:22 AM by mu_hilltopper »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #11057 on: August 24, 2021, 11:43:50 AM »
Ahem ...
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s0818-covid-19-booster-shots.html

Typical bureaucratic BS.

Here's the message:

"These vaccinations have been highly effective in preventing and reducing the severity of Covid-19. We urge every American to be vaccinated over time.

"We have evaluated the data from vaccinated Americans and the protection the vaccine affords each of us. We are concerned that after eight months, the protection falls by __._% based on our trials. For that reason, we're advocating that every American get a booster shot.

"We've made a lot of progress but there is much more to be done. We implore every American to get vaccinated!"

The message needs to be identical, from the President of the United States on down to the lowest CDC functionary. Attach a fact sheet if you will, but this is the message. PERIOD!!!!!!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11058 on: August 24, 2021, 11:48:36 AM »
No. It was how we governed from Jan 20, 2017 - Jan 20, 2021.

Topper, dis izant politics? Double standard, but watts nu, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11059 on: August 24, 2021, 11:50:54 AM »

Politics.

« Last Edit: Today at 11:41:22 AM by mu_hilltopper »

Ha!  Hahaha hahaha.  🤣🤣🤣🤣

Selective enforcement, aina?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11060 on: August 24, 2021, 11:55:03 AM »
Thanks for your concern douchebag.

This seems like name-calling. Fortunately for you, the rules around here are only applicable to some.

At this point, we’ve hit the worst of the delta surge. Time to stop all the mask silliness. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11061 on: August 24, 2021, 12:03:09 PM »
Typical bureaucratic BS.

Here's the message:

"These vaccinations have been highly effective in preventing and reducing the severity of Covid-19. We urge every American to be vaccinated over time.

"We have evaluated the data from vaccinated Americans and the protection the vaccine affords each of us. We are concerned that after eight months, the protection falls by __._% based on our trials. For that reason, we're advocating that every American get a booster shot.

"We've made a lot of progress but there is much more to be done. We implore every American to get vaccinated!"

The message needs to be identical, from the President of the United States on down to the lowest CDC functionary. Attach a fact sheet if you will, but this is the message. PERIOD!!!!!!

Did you even read the link? The message there is better, clearer and more concise than what you have here.
Maybe just admit you weren't aware of this messaging before you went and complained about the messaging?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #11062 on: August 24, 2021, 12:10:36 PM »
If you don’t like things get moderated, no one is forcing you to stick around.  Sounds snowflaky
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #11063 on: August 24, 2021, 12:24:48 PM »
Define extreme measures

Forcing people to wear masks. Limiting the number of people in a room via "social distancing." Damn near shutting the economy down in 2020 and threatening to do so again.

My governor has the right idea. Urge people to be vaccinated, open everything up and let individuals decide what steps they want to take. He's been roundly criticized for it but he's basically saying, "Your government is not protecting the stupid's right to be stupid!"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11064 on: August 24, 2021, 12:29:12 PM »
Forcing people to wear masks. Limiting the number of people in a room via "social distancing." Damn near shutting the economy down in 2020 and threatening to do so again.

My governor has the right idea. Urge people to be vaccinated, open everything up and let individuals decide what steps they want to take. He's been roundly criticized for it but he's basically saying, "Your government is not protecting the stupid's right to be stupid!"

So you don't believe in letting private organizations make their own rules when it comes to their business?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11065 on: August 24, 2021, 12:49:05 PM »

Are you also opposed to extreme laws prohibiting driving under the influence and fraud?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #11066 on: August 24, 2021, 12:54:28 PM »
So you don't believe in letting private organizations make their own rules when it comes to their business?

What private business does, they can do as long as they don't discriminate. If my local grocery mogul wants me to wear a mask in their store, it's their right. If I don't like it, I can shop elsewhere.

Where I have an issue is the government telling me. I get some of their concern before we had an effective vaccine, but now we have a vaccine.

As to the DUI comparison, that's one of the most ridiculous comparisons I've ever heard. If we had a way of effectively preventing DUI before someone got in the car, then, yes, get rid of it. Just make it impossible for an impaired person to drive. We have a way to prevent death and debilitation from Covid-19. It's called vaccination. Get vaccinated and we have no need for masks or social distancing.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #11067 on: August 24, 2021, 12:59:36 PM »
What private business does, they can do as long as they don't discriminate. If my local grocery mogul wants me to wear a mask in their store, it's their right. If I don't like it, I can shop elsewhere.

Where I have an issue is the government telling me. I get some of their concern before we had an effective vaccine, but now we have a vaccine.

As to the DUI comparison, that's one of the most ridiculous comparisons I've ever heard. If we had a way of effectively preventing DUI before someone got in the car, then, yes, get rid of it. Just make it impossible for an impaired person to drive. We have a way to prevent death and debilitation from Covid-19. It's called vaccination. Get vaccinated and we have no need for masks or social distancing.

Mandate breathalyzers in cars
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #11068 on: August 24, 2021, 01:01:41 PM »
The latest vax rates, per NBC:

And here are the American adults who say they’ve already been vaccinated — broken down by demographic group:

All adults: 69 percent

Men: 67 percent

Women: 71 percent

18-34: 63 percent

35-49: 58 percent

50-64: 71 percent

65+: 86 percent

Whites: 66 percent

Blacks: 76 percent

Latinos: 71 percent

Urban residents: 79 percent

Suburban residents: 67 percent

Rural residents: 52 percent

White evangelicals: 59 percent

Democrats: 88 percent

Independents: 60 percent

Republicans: 55 percent

Republicans who support Trump more than party: 46 percent

Republicans who support party more than Trump: 62 percent

Democratic Sanders-Warren voters: 88 percent

Democratic Biden voters: 87 percent

Biden voters in 2020 general election: 91 percent

Trump voters in 2020 general election: 50 percent

White non-college grads: 60 percent

White college grads: 80 percent

Get the unnatural carnal knowledgeing vax you unnatural carnal knowledgeing pretty boys.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #11069 on: August 24, 2021, 01:09:00 PM »

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

It seems as though your thoughts are geared toward an ideal world where people did the right thing. In this ideal world, I would agree 100% with you. Yes, we have vaccines. But yes we have a subset of the population - white, republican Trump voters who will never do it. Hence, mask mandates, social distancing, vaccination requirements are necessary.

Before you argue my statement, here is a new poll of American adults who say they’ve already been vaccinated — broken down by demographic group:

Edit: You're killin' me, T. Beat me by 8 minutes. :-\

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11070 on: August 24, 2021, 01:13:54 PM »
The latest vax rates, per NBC:

And here are the American adults who say they’ve already been vaccinated — broken down by demographic group:

Get the unnatural carnal knowledgeing vax you unnatural carnal knowledgeing pretty boys.

Is this self reported or actually verified numbers?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11071 on: August 24, 2021, 01:23:58 PM »

That time when dgies accidentally called for vaccination mandates.

What about my fraud example? You OK with "Your government is not protecting the stupid's right to be stupid" when that stupid person gets tangled in a pyramid scheme or believes their grandchild is locked up in a Guatemalan jail? 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 01:26:19 PM by Pakuni »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11072 on: August 24, 2021, 01:29:40 PM »

So, are you okay if the government mandates vaccines?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #11073 on: August 24, 2021, 01:47:17 PM »

When did this flip. As of Aug 18, the CDC was showing numbers that African Americans were lagging behind in vaccination %

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/latest-data-on-covid-19-vaccinations-race-ethnicity/

and this
https://www.yahoo.com/now/black-people-low-vaccination-rates-150200517.html

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #11074 on: August 24, 2021, 01:58:56 PM »
Is this self reported or actually verified numbers?
I'm guessing self-reported (it was a poll), so yes, grain of salt.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback