[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129100 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #9725 on: February 13, 2021, 07:49:35 PM »

There damn well should be consequences, even above and beyond political ones.

Regrettably, consequences for high-profile politicians seem to be a thing of the past.

I’m guessing Cuomo will be bruised, but not done.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9726 on: February 14, 2021, 09:29:15 AM »

Regrettably, consequences for high-profile politicians wealthy elites seem to be are a thing of the past.

I’m guessing Cuomo will be bruised, but not done.

FIFY

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9727 on: February 15, 2021, 06:58:32 PM »
A new study identifies seven U.S. virus variants with the same worrying mutation.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/02/14/world/covid-19-coronavirus#a-new-study-identifies-seven-us-virus-variants-with-the-same-worrying-mutation

As Americans anxiously watch the spread of coronavirus variants that were first identified in Britain and South Africa, scientists are finding a number of new variants that seem to have originated in the United States — and many of them may pose the same kind of extra-contagious threat.

In a study posted on Sunday, a team of researchers reported seven growing lineages of the coronavirus, spotted in states across the country. All have gained a mutation at the exact same spot in their genes.

“There’s clearly something going on with this mutation,” said Jeremy Kamil, a virologist at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center and a co-author of the new study.

It’s not clear yet whether this shared mutation makes the variants more contagious, but because it appears in a gene that influences how the virus enters human cells, the scientists are highly suspicious.

——————

This is extremely troubling. And it shows the risk of America’s appalling lack of focus on genomic sequencing for COVID.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9728 on: February 17, 2021, 09:54:49 AM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

reinko

• All American
« Reply #9729 on: February 17, 2021, 10:36:01 AM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/02/why-covid-19-cases-are-falling-so-fast/618041/

Why cases are dropping.

Really good news all around.

Caught this too, good read.  A solid comment I read in the same Twitter thread, while it’s tough to measure, certainly holds true for me, my family and lots of friends...that we have been safe and careful for 11 months, made lots of sacrifices, and with vaccines on the horizons people may just be extra careful as to not get this nasty thing in the 11th hour.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #9730 on: February 17, 2021, 10:36:48 AM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/02/why-covid-19-cases-are-falling-so-fast/618041/

Why cases are dropping.

There is a ton to be optimistic about.  With this type of disease even partial immunity or severity reduction is a big blow to its ability to disrupt society.  Now we can't take our eye off the ball on prevention steps, but it feels like a more localized  but normal summer is certainly in the cards (i.e. not flying internationally).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 10:44:38 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9731 on: February 17, 2021, 11:57:36 AM »

Why cases are dropping.

Yes, it is very good news. If we can keep the vaccines rolling and people continue to wear masks and follow social distancing guidelines, we have a chance to put the worst of this behind us. But we need to remain cautious for a few more months, to really tamp this down and minimize the chance of new vaccine-resistant variants.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9732 on: February 17, 2021, 12:46:40 PM »

Yes, it is very good news. If we can keep the vaccines rolling and people continue to wear masks and follow social distancing guidelines, we have a chance to put the worst of this behind us. But we need to remain cautious for a few more months, to really tamp this down and minimize the chance of new vaccine-resistant variants.

This is the message that should be coming from the top. If you want people to get vaccinated, tell them there's a light at the end of this thing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9733 on: February 17, 2021, 12:50:59 PM »
For the first time since at least August, I'm feeling that we are making real progress against COVID-19, and I'm hopeful that there can be some semblance of "normal" by summer.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9734 on: February 17, 2021, 08:22:23 PM »
Re: cases dropping

I also very much wonder .. look, Americans fit on a spectrum of COVID vigilance.   While we're a nation of 350m people, at least a third of us are staying at home, haven't seen our friends or families, haven't participated in weddings or funerals.   Very few in this third have been infected, there's a wall around this group.

But another third are at the bottom of that spectrum, and they were the virus' prime targets, and like a forest fire, the virus has burned through that timber and is petering out. 

Maybe. 

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9735 on: February 17, 2021, 08:37:23 PM »
For the first time since at least August, I'm feeling that we are making real progress against COVID-19, and I'm hopeful that there can be some semblance of "normal" by summer.

You weren’t feeling progress in November and December as vaccines were being approved and going live?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9736 on: February 17, 2021, 09:15:18 PM »
Wonder if the once in a lifetime storm shutting down the south might help stem the tide of COVID in those areas. They were areas where people refused to take basic precautions, but now people are forced inside for an entire week, might be enough to get things back under control.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9737 on: February 17, 2021, 09:28:17 PM »
Wonder if the once in a lifetime storm shutting down the south might help stem the tide of COVID in those areas. They were areas where people refused to take basic precautions, but now people are forced inside for an entire week, might be enough to get things back under control.

Could be, but it might also be a mixed bag. I heard lots of places opened warming shelters for homeless people and others without heat. Obviously the right thing to do in the moment, but it might he harder to enforce Covid precautions in a crowded, live-or-die environment.

And then there are the stories of the weather delaying vaccine shipments, just as we seemed to be hitting our stride. Ugh.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9738 on: February 17, 2021, 10:08:23 PM »
You weren’t feeling progress in November and December as vaccines were being approved and going live?

You mean when 4000+ Americans were dying every day? No, I wasn't feeling as chipper then.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9739 on: February 17, 2021, 10:39:37 PM »
You mean when 4000+ Americans were dying every day? No, I wasn't feeling as chipper then.

Agreed. It was great that vaccines were getting approved and beginning to be administered. Huge accomplishments. But with deaths still rising, it still felt pretty bleak.

I just hope the storm doesn’t delay too many vaccine shipments this week, so we can maintain the momentum.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9740 on: February 18, 2021, 05:45:30 PM »
Largest drop in life expectancy since World War 2 in 2020.   Just wait until all of the undercounts are corrected.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9741 on: February 18, 2021, 07:48:51 PM »
Largest drop in life expectancy since World War 2 in 2020.   Just wait until all of the undercounts are corrected.

And those numbers were just for the first half of 2020. They don’t include the mid- and late–year surges, when the majority of deaths occurred.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9742 on: February 19, 2021, 08:20:49 AM »

-1 year for expectancy .. -2.5 for African-Americans. 

I'd rather lose that via Arby's than Covid.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9743 on: February 19, 2021, 08:33:00 AM »
-1 year for expectancy .. -2.5 for African-Americans. 

I'd rather lose that via Arby's than Covid.

You're gonna have to cut down considerably on your Arby's to get to those numbers....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9744 on: February 19, 2021, 12:33:13 PM »
In another thread, people were discussing when we might be back to 'normal' in the US. Most speculated it would be sometime this summer or fall. Based on our current vaccination rate, I am hopeful it will be this fall.

That said, I am concerned about the comparably tiny vaccination rate worldwide. While the US is somewhere between 10-20% getting a first shot, the vast majority of countries are still under 5%. This includes the EU, Russia, China, Brazil and many others. As a result, the world is still a breeding ground for variants. Variants that could develop total resistance to the immunity caused by previous infections and current vaccines, and make their way back to the US.

As a result, I think our new 'normal' will still include widespread mask wearing in public for the next couple of years, and 'booster' vaccines to protect against variants that develop.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9745 on: February 22, 2021, 08:24:25 AM »
500,000 Americans dead from COVID-19.

Though the end appears to be in sight, and that's worth celebrating, that number is almost impossible to fathom.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9746 on: February 22, 2021, 08:51:47 AM »
Keep wearin' dat mask like da good doctor sez inta 2028. Either you believe the vaccine works, or you don't. Must bea chitty down in da hidey hole, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9747 on: February 22, 2021, 08:56:27 AM »
Keep wearin' dat mask like da good doctor sez inta 2028. Either you believe the vaccine works, or you don't. Must bea chitty down in da hidey hole, hey?

If you actually listened to his interview, you would know that he explicitly said he wouldn't comment on any timeline regarding mask wearing, because it would just be a guess, and the headlines would be that "Fauci says masks until 20xx". He said he is hopeful that vaccines will do their job and life will return to normal, but any timelines is pure speculation.

So, maybe actually listen to the good doctor, instead of spouting off.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9748 on: February 22, 2021, 09:13:03 AM »
If you actually listened to his interview, you would know that he explicitly said he wouldn't comment on any timeline regarding mask wearing, because it would just be a guess, and the headlines would be that "Fauci says masks until 20xx". He said he is hopeful that vaccines will do their job and life will return to normal, but any timelines is pure speculation.

So, maybe actually listen to the good doctor, instead of spouting off.

sciencenomatta

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9749 on: February 22, 2021, 09:16:28 AM »
#medicalproffesionalsagainstscienceandreason

Shut up and drill, ai'na?

And submit to the authorities telling you to get vaccinated.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 09:18:07 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.