[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129112 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #8300 on: September 14, 2020, 04:47:46 PM »
Well, it turns out there was a 19th conversation between Trump and Woodward, on Aug. 14, after the book had already gone to the printer.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/14/politics/trump-bob-woodward-final-phone-call/index.html

If Trump weren't such a horrible human being, one might feel sorry for him. He sounded so desperate, so pathetic, after Woodward told him the book was going to be "tough" and that the pandemic will be foremost on voters' minds.

Trump kept trying to bring it back to the "stock market is coming back" and "the stock market is near a record." It's obvious that he thinks the economy and the stock market are the same thing ... even though any first-year business major at any college knows that isn't close to being true.

Trump: "So you think the virus totally supersedes the economy?"

Woodward: "Oh sure. But they're related, as you know."

Trump: "A little bit, yeah."

Woodward: "Oh, a little bit?"

Trump: "I mean, more than a little bit. But the economy is doing -- look, we're close to a new stock market record."

He thinks the average voter cares more about the stock market than 200K deaths, millions of unemployed, businesses shuttered, and lives ruined by the total lack of leadership this nation received when we needed it most. He also STILL doesn't seem to get that the economy won't have a chance of getting back near it was until the virus is under control.

Later, seeking absolution, as if Woodward were a priest, the deeply wounded Trump pleaded: "Nothing more could have been done."

Listening to the President of the United States pleading with the author of a book ... it was effen sad.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 04:50:37 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8301 on: September 14, 2020, 05:03:12 PM »
The admissions on those tapes would have ended the presidency of anyone other than Donald Trump. The incompetence, and the insulation from the consequences of his actions, are just mind-boggling.

It really does give a Jim Jones aura to his followers.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8302 on: September 14, 2020, 05:47:27 PM »
Can you imagine what Citizen Trump would be twittering -- 100 times a day -- if this all had happened under Hillary's watch?

He might have broken Twitter.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8303 on: September 14, 2020, 05:55:40 PM »
I look forward to seeing the spin away from Trump's voice on tape saying he undersold the severity of the virus from the beginning.  Woodward told him that he was taping.   DJT said it anyway.   Proudly.

Just so I'm clear... You think a recording of trump saying something bad will hurt his re-election chances?

As opposed to the "grab her by the kitten" recording?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8304 on: September 14, 2020, 06:10:34 PM »
Just so I'm clear... You think a recording of trump saying something bad will hurt his re-election chances?

You are correct - probably not a much more than blip, if that.

Jim Jones, David Koresh, now DJT. The True Believers will follow him anywhere.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #8305 on: September 14, 2020, 06:30:58 PM »

FWIW, and not speaking for Tower, but I read his post as 'spin away from the obvious evidence that Trump values $ of humans and specifically Americans to still support him'. Not that they would spin away from Trump.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8306 on: September 14, 2020, 06:42:42 PM »

Yes.   His approval numbers haven't improved in months.   Libertarians and the Greens are unlikely to repeat the nearly 9 million votes they pulled in 2016.   The cumulative effect of all of these revelations is to insure he doesn't expand beyond his base.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8307 on: September 14, 2020, 07:37:02 PM »
HELLO.

Let's bring the politics down about 7 notches, ok?   

Thank you for your cooperation.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8308 on: September 15, 2020, 03:02:26 PM »
Dr. Li-Meng Yan?

Claims covid-19 was indeed engineered in wuhan.  Ok. Debunked, but plausible.

But also claims Fauci knew all about it and even funded it?

Sounds like someone is looking for attention.

https://www.techtimes.com/amp/articles/252545/20200915/new-evidence-covid-19-whistleblower-dr-li-meng-yan-blames-dr-fauci-for-outbreak-coverup.htm

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8309 on: September 15, 2020, 03:39:35 PM »
More of the same:

Over the weekend, multiple news outlets broke the story that Trump's appointed assistant secretary of public affairs in the Department of Health and Human Services and his assistants have been watering down or blocking key reports from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention known as the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports. Not only have Michael Caputo and aide Paul Alexander been engaged in ongoing battle with CDC scientists over findings that contradict Trump's own rosy claims, during the nationwide COVID-19 pandemic, but they have done so while accusing CDC scientists of writing "hit pieces" meant to damage the administration—and the claims both men have made, in confronting CDC scientists, have been so broadly conspiratorial in nature as to raise questions about both men's fitness for the job.

Those questions are now going to be on the top of the agenda, because Trump appointee Caputo has responded to the allegations against him with an absolutely batcrap Facebook video in which Caputo accuses CDC scientists with "sedition" for the content of their reports, claims an anti-Trump "resistance unit" is operating inside the CDC, claims he is in real personal danger of being killed by anti-Trump forces, and launched into a string of off-the-rails conspiracy theories that culminated in him urging Trump supporters to "buy ammunition" in preparation for a Biden attempt to seize the presidency from Trump

That didn't age well....

Covid-19 Live Updates: Michael Caputo, Trump Health Official, Apologizes for Facebook Outburst, Considers Leave of Absence

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/15/world/covid-coronavirus.html

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8310 on: September 15, 2020, 04:05:22 PM »
Dr. Li-Meng Yan?

Claims covid-19 was indeed engineered in wuhan.  Ok. Debunked, but plausible.

But also claims Fauci knew all about it and even funded it?

Sounds like someone is looking for attention.

https://www.techtimes.com/amp/articles/252545/20200915/new-evidence-covid-19-whistleblower-dr-li-meng-yan-blames-dr-fauci-for-outbreak-coverup.htm

Twitter docs claiming the research was funded by an institute that was directed by one S Bannon and the NY Post is involved in publicizing.  I don’t know whats up with this but this puts me in the camp of letting it play out for a week or two before I put any effort into understanding this controversy.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 04:08:21 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8311 on: September 15, 2020, 04:16:08 PM »
Twitter docs claiming the research was funded by an institute that was directed by one S Bannon and the NY Post is involved in publicizing.  I don’t know whats up with this but this puts me in the camp of letting it play out for a week or two before I put any effort into understanding this controversy.

Agreed. Americans making a virus in a Chinese lab directed by Bannon, funded by Fauci and now publicized by the Post? Sounds like she is just throwing sh!t at the wall to see what sticks.

If I’m wrong, I definitely won’t be the only one…

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #8312 on: September 15, 2020, 04:55:52 PM »
I overheard a vendor at the Skokie Farmers Market ( don’t bother with it, go to Evanston instead) telling someone that the virus was developed in a lab in North Carolina and flown to Wuhan, and related it to the civil unrest in China and now here.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #8313 on: September 15, 2020, 07:34:23 PM »
So what is the endgame?  When do things get back to normal?  I have heard fauci say maybe even late 2021, but when will people feel comfortable living normally again.  Going to sporting events, not having a mask on or going out to the bars?

The idea of the lockdown was to flatten the curve so that hospitals are not overwhelmed.  Curve maybe was flattened in some places but hospitals have for sure not been overwhelmed at least in WI.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8314 on: September 15, 2020, 07:41:43 PM »
So what is the endgame?  When do things get back to normal?  I have heard fauci say maybe even late 2021, but when will people feel comfortable living normally again.  Going to sporting events, not having a mask on or going out to the bars?

The idea of the lockdown was to flatten the curve so that hospitals are not overwhelmed.  Curve maybe was flattened in some places but hospitals have for sure not been overwhelmed at least in WI.

We haven’t been ‘locked down’ for quite some time.  Only Israel has gone back to it.  So I guess the question is for you.  When you going to a bar or movie next?

Collectively I would guess it takes at least until this time next year (assuming vaccine or better treatment).  Next summer better than this summer.   Until then ebb and flow of restrictions or people removing themselves from ‘normal’ activity. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 07:44:31 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8315 on: September 15, 2020, 07:45:48 PM »

The endgame is to get "herd immunity" without killing too many people.  Keeping the economy somewhat afloat is probably the next in line.  That can't happen without the first thing happening.  A vaccine is the most likely route to herd immunity.

By commenting on the "lockdown" (there was none), I don't feel like you understand the word "pandemic" very well though?

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #8316 on: September 15, 2020, 07:53:05 PM »
We haven’t been ‘locked down’ for quite some time.  Only Israel has gone back to it.  So I guess the question is for you.  When you going to a bar or movie next?

Collectively I would guess it takes at least until this time next year (assuming vaccine or better treatment).  Next summer better than this summer.   Until then ebb and flow of restrictions or people removing themselves from ‘normal’ activity.

Can never ask a question on this board to get peoples thoughts without a smart ass remark.  Have not been to a bars in 25 years so kiss my ass!!  Just looking for thoughts on the end game.
The initial lockdown was supposed to be to flatten the curve i never said anything about going back to lockdown

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8317 on: September 15, 2020, 07:58:17 PM »
Can never ask a question on this board to get peoples thoughts without a smart ass remark.  Have not been to a bars in 25 years so kiss my ass!!  Just looking for thoughts on the end game.
The initial lockdown was supposed to be to flatten the curve i never said anything about going back to lockdown

It wasn’t a smart ass response.  You ask a personal question—you should volunteer a personal opinion

Since may or so people have had choice for the most part.  Much of the economic carnage has been either consumption being reduced or changed to other areas of the economy. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8318 on: September 15, 2020, 08:00:42 PM »

Perhaps you read it as smart ass, but that could also be how your "flatten the curve" comment. sounded.  I've attached the US curves to date.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8319 on: September 15, 2020, 08:31:04 PM »
HELLO.

Let's bring the politics down about 7 notches, ok?   

Thank you for your cooperation.

thank you topper!  just trying to catch up and looks like the usual need to try yoga or zumba or something
don't...don't don't don't don't

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #8320 on: September 16, 2020, 08:15:02 AM »

Define "normal". I'm not sure things will ever get back to a pre-Covid normal.  I think you're going to see much larger pushes to get annual flu shots, significantly stronger hand washing campaigns, long term changes to traditional "office" settings, and a much higher percentage of people wearing masks strictly as a precaution.  IMO wearing a mask is such a minor inconvenience that I'll be wearing one when out in public for the foreseeable future, even as other aspects of my life "get back to normal".
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #8321 on: September 16, 2020, 08:15:22 AM »
More of the same:

Over the weekend, multiple news outlets broke the story that Trump's appointed assistant secretary of public affairs in the Department of Health and Human Services and his assistants have been watering down or blocking key reports from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention known as the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports. Not only have Michael Caputo and aide Paul Alexander been engaged in ongoing battle with CDC scientists over findings that contradict Trump's own rosy claims, during the nationwide COVID-19 pandemic, but they have done so while accusing CDC scientists of writing "hit pieces" meant to damage the administration—and the claims both men have made, in confronting CDC scientists, have been so broadly conspiratorial in nature as to raise questions about both men's fitness for the job.

Those questions are now going to be on the top of the agenda, because Trump appointee Caputo has responded to the allegations against him with an absolutely batcrap Facebook video in which Caputo accuses CDC scientists with "sedition" for the content of their reports, claims an anti-Trump "resistance unit" is operating inside the CDC, claims he is in real personal danger of being killed by anti-Trump forces, and launched into a string of off-the-rails conspiracy theories that culminated in him urging Trump supporters to "buy ammunition" in preparation for a Biden attempt to seize the presidency from Trump

Only the best people

Michael Caputo Will Resign Position, Citing “Mental Health” Break
https://hillreporter.com/michael-caputo-will-resign-position-citing-mental-health-break-78996
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8322 on: September 16, 2020, 10:38:35 AM »
FWIW, an article in one of my trade magazines surveyed CEOs.  80% said business still will not see a full recovery by Summer 2021. 

Dr. Fauci said best case a vaccine will not be "widely" available to the public until mid-2021,then extrapolate herd immunity through vaccination from there.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8323 on: September 16, 2020, 12:46:45 PM »
Only the best people

Michael Caputo Will Resign Position, Citing “Mental Health” Break
https://hillreporter.com/michael-caputo-will-resign-position-citing-mental-health-break-78996

Theoretically, only a 60-day leave of absence.

\https://www.axios.com/michael-caputo-leave-absence-3278bb36-6bda-4478-9614-70a74b1b27da.html

It is hard to believe that a member of this calm, collected, reasoned, reasonable administration would have a crazy, conspiracy-theory-filled, hateful outburst on social media.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8324 on: September 16, 2020, 01:29:44 PM »
FWIW, an article in one of my trade magazines surveyed CEOs.  80% said business still will not see a full recovery by Summer 2021. 

Dr. Fauci said best case a vaccine will not be "widely" available to the public until mid-2021,then extrapolate herd immunity through vaccination from there.

That seems like a reasonable educated guesstimate..with the emphasis on it being a 'best case' scenario. The current delay with the Astra Zeneca vaccine is more the rule than the exception, so it would be great if we can have widespread vaccination by mid-2021.