collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1128951 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #5100 on: May 10, 2020, 02:55:56 PM »
Study done at Sydney University.  Here is one of the researchers in his own words

https://twitter.com/SBSNews/status/1258298018710736896

Some additional links (appears there a many to choose from)

https://www.barrons.com/news/australia-fears-suicide-spike-due-to-virus-shutdown-01588819808

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8293233/Far-people-Australia-predicted-die-suicide-coronavirus-lockdown.html

If that doesn't grab your attention, 75,000 Americans could die of suicide because of COVID.  https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/health/coronavirus-deaths-of-despair/index.html

The researchers are saying more deaths in Australia because of suicide, because they are assuming essentially no CoVID deaths. They are estimating 1500 suicides total nationwide. If Australia didn't quarantine, and treat this as seriously as they did, they would already have had far more than 1500 CoVID deaths. Because of Australia's quarantine, tracking, and tracing programs they have only had 97 deaths from CoVID.

Regarding the 75,000 Americans. The study does not look at a comparison of how many would die from overdose or suicide if 100's of thousands of Americans are dying from a disease that is difficult to avoid. My guess is that individuals who are susceptible to overdose and suicide would be far more affected by large scale death and disease, and uncertainty around it, than economic affects. Looking at one in isolation of the other is poor practice.

The one thing that is true though, is regardless, we need to be investing more heavily in mental health care, because many are suffering mental health issues.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5101 on: May 10, 2020, 02:58:26 PM »
Historically, math isn't partisan.  But we do live in a world of alternative facts.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #5102 on: May 10, 2020, 03:38:25 PM »
President Obama said it well yesterday.  "It would have been bad even in the best of governments".  Agree with him completely.  When I see people say blood on someone's hands, or all 75K deaths result of one person, or bigger than Vietnam.  This is nothing but blatant partisanship. 

Could things have been better?  No double in my mind.  Would a different administration have done things differently in an election year?  Highly doubtful.
Industrial strength intellectual dishonesty. So, so chicos.

"Obama continued to tear into the Trump administration’s handling of the coronavirus crisis, partly blaming the White House’s "what’s in it for me" mindset.

"It's part of the reason why the response to this global crisis has been so anemic and spotty," Obama said. "It would have been bad even with the best of governments. It has been an absolute chaotic disaster when that mindset of 'what's in it for me' and 'to heck with everybody else' ... is operationalized in our government."

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5103 on: May 10, 2020, 03:55:24 PM »
If that doesn't grab your attention, 75,000 Americans could die of suicide because of COVID.  https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/health/coronavirus-deaths-of-despair/index.html

What WarriorCheeks won't tell you is that the authors of the study in no way are opposed to stay-at-home orders or advocate for reopening things quicker as a means to avoid such tragic consequences. Instead, they argue that the government needs to do more to provide mental health services, drug counseling and other care to those impacted by the downturn.
You know, exactly the kind of thing small government types don't want.

From the report:

This report is not a call to suddenly reopen the country. Some might use this report to argue that this is why our economy needs to open up fast. But that’s NOT what we are saying.  We need to abide by good science, and make sure that testing and contact tracing is occurring at adequate levels to assure that it is safe to open up. Even as of today parts of the country are opening, data suggest that this is premature due to a lack of consistent testing, which allows local public health authorities to trace, treat, and isolate to prevent further spread. A range of efforts at containing the COVID-19 pandemic must be rigorously applied to minimize deaths from infection.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5104 on: May 10, 2020, 04:06:12 PM »
He forgot to read his link again.    Tsk, tsk, tsk.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5105 on: May 10, 2020, 05:39:49 PM »

From the report:

This report is not a call to suddenly reopen the country. Some might use this report to argue that this is why our economy needs to open up fast. But that’s NOT what we are saying.  We need to abide by good science, and make sure that testing and contact tracing is occurring at adequate levels to assure that it is safe to open up. Even as of today parts of the country are opening, data suggest that this is premature due to a lack of consistent testing, which allows local public health authorities to trace, treat, and isolate to prevent further spread. A range of efforts at containing the COVID-19 pandemic must be rigorously applied to minimize deaths from infection.

I agree with the conclusions from the report cheeks posted. We need comprehensive testing and contact tracing before we reopen the country; and we need dramatically enhanced mental health services to mitigate mental health issues that might result from this crisis.

#keepsciencing

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5106 on: May 10, 2020, 05:48:48 PM »
I agree with the conclusions from the report cheeks posted. We need comprehensive testing and contact tracing before we reopen the country; and we need dramatically enhanced mental health services to mitigate mental health issues that might result from this crisis.

#keepsciencing

The report's not necessarily unreasonable, though it is pretty vague and I couldn't find some of their definitions ... like, is a pedestrian hit by a drunk driver a COVID death? I don't know, because they don't appear to define that.
The irony is that the authors emphasize that the report shouldn't be used in exactly the way WarriorCheeks is trying to use it.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #5107 on: May 10, 2020, 05:53:24 PM »
I never seen anyone who so frequently posts links that make the opposite point that they think they make. I mean, ALL.THE.TIME.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5108 on: May 10, 2020, 05:58:08 PM »
The report's not necessarily unreasonable, though it is pretty vague and I couldn't find some of their definitions ... like, is a pedestrian hit by a drunk driver a COVID death? I don't know, because they don't appear to define that.
The irony is that the authors emphasize that the report shouldn't be used in exactly the way WarriorCheeks is trying to use it.

The other factor that cheeks and the report don’t address are the possible suicides resulting from reopening the economy too soon...which could result both in worker stress (having to work when they still don’t feel safe), and possibly having a bigger second wave than if we open more deliberately.

Either way, the bottom line recommendation from the report is absolutely critical: we need dramatically enhanced mental health services available to all.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5109 on: May 10, 2020, 06:00:28 PM »
The researchers are saying more deaths in Australia because of suicide, because they are assuming essentially no CoVID deaths. They are estimating 1500 suicides total nationwide. If Australia didn't quarantine, and treat this as seriously as they did, they would already have had far more than 1500 CoVID deaths. Because of Australia's quarantine, tracking, and tracing programs they have only had 97 deaths from CoVID.

Regarding the 75,000 Americans. The study does not look at a comparison of how many would die from overdose or suicide if 100's of thousands of Americans are dying from a disease that is difficult to avoid. My guess is that individuals who are susceptible to overdose and suicide would be far more affected by large scale death and disease, and uncertainty around it, than economic affects. Looking at one in isolation of the other is poor practice.

The one thing that is true though, is regardless, we need to be investing more heavily in mental health care, because many are suffering mental health issues.

Both studies are saying there are incremental suicides as a result of the economic despair caused by this virus and the actions taken.  I am not passing judgment on what the correct policy action is as only time will tell.  Do you disagree with their assertions that more people are in mental distress because of job losses, their business no longer functioning, anxiety about the future?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5110 on: May 10, 2020, 06:05:27 PM »
Industrial strength intellectual dishonesty. So, so chicos.

"Obama continued to tear into the Trump administration’s handling of the coronavirus crisis, partly blaming the White House’s "what’s in it for me" mindset.

"It's part of the reason why the response to this global crisis has been so anemic and spotty," Obama said. "It would have been bad even with the best of governments. It has been an absolute chaotic disaster when that mindset of 'what's in it for me' and 'to heck with everybody else' ... is operationalized in our government."

The part you quoted was his opinion, which I agree with, but it is only an opinion.  He's in a position where he didn't have to do anything so he can say what he wants and no one can prove it differently.  I do not believe any other administration in an election year would do things much differently.  Political suicide.

Based on news in the last 72 hours, President Obama may be looking to say a number of things right now because of the transcripts released on Friday from the Russia investigation. There is some head scratching testimony from his administration that don't align with the claims of never having a scandal.  I suspect we will be hearing much more in the coming weeks.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5111 on: May 10, 2020, 06:09:53 PM »
The part you quoted was his opinion, which I agree with, but it is only an opinion.  He's in a position where he didn't have to do anything so he can say what he wants and no one can prove it differently.  I do not believe any other administration in an election year would do things much differently.  Political suicide.

Based on news in the last 72 hours, President Obama may be looking to say a number of things right now because of the transcripts released on Friday from the Russia investigation. There is some head scratching testimony from his administration that don't align with the claims of never having a scandal.  I suspect we will be hearing much more in the coming weeks.

Wooo boy. A shoe may drop on a man you voted for. Twice!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5112 on: May 10, 2020, 06:20:57 PM »
Both studies are saying there are incremental suicides as a result of the economic despair caused by this virus and the actions taken.  I am not passing judgment on what the correct policy action is as only time will tell.  Do you disagree with their assertions that more people are in mental distress because of job losses, their business no longer functioning, anxiety about the future?

You are creating a false question, deliberately so, in my opinion. You act as if the only stress is due to job losses and economic uncertainty.

The stress of 10's-100's of thousands of people dying from a disease, and many others dealing with lung/heart scarring, is immense. Especially when there is a constant, uncertain fear, that you and your loved ones may be next, with no ability to protect yourself.

If one quarantines, you get more economic stress. If one does not, you get more health stress as more get sick, and die. A proper analysis, which your link is not, looks at all the compounding issues.

The reason your link regarding 75k deaths doesn't go into those issues, is they are not advocating for any policy, beyond the fact that we need better mental health care during the coronavirus pandemic. Everyone here agrees that we need better mental health care.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5113 on: May 10, 2020, 06:41:44 PM »
I agree, forgetful.

We could very well see a dramatic increase in suicides regardless of policy decisions made going forward. Either we keep the economy closed, and people get additional stress from being out of work, or we open too soon and people get additional stress from having to go back to work when they still don’t feel safe from a life-threatening disease.

Bottom line: we will face additional stress and possible suicides simply because COVID is here. All the more reason for enhanced access to mental health services, regardless of what governors do next.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5114 on: May 10, 2020, 06:51:55 PM »
That is very kind of you, WD, pointing out the weaknesses in the mental health system and advocating for more and better treatment.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5115 on: May 10, 2020, 06:57:12 PM »
That is very kind of you, WD, pointing out the weaknesses in the mental health system and advocating for more and better treatment.

I heard he used to hold a different position.  However, after a fierce debate at a backyard beer summit, he was swayed to an advocacy position ‘for’ mental health. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #5116 on: May 10, 2020, 07:14:48 PM »

Mammoth intellectual dishonesty. What would one expect from you, eh hoopaloop?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5117 on: May 10, 2020, 07:18:47 PM »
Somewhere in one of these threads a person asked if POTUS was justified in not using a mask because he had tested negative. The presumption was that he would have access to the best possible testing kits.

I replied that this would only be justified if the rate of false negatives was 0%.

Anyhow, I just stumbled across a New York Times article indicating that the White House is using a test called ID Now, presumably because it provides very quick results (approximately 15 minutes). Unfortunately, this test also has a relatively high rate of false negatives, with Cleveland Clinic reporting a rate of almost 15% in a recent study. Steps are being taken to reduce this rate, but it is clearly well above 0%.

Based on this high rate of false negatives, POTUS could easily test negative and still be spreading the virus. FWIW.

jesmu84

• All American

jesmu84

• All American

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5120 on: May 10, 2020, 07:30:00 PM »

Interestingly, an increase in spending on mental health would benefit a guy like him quite a bit.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5121 on: May 10, 2020, 07:38:33 PM »
I think it is a roundabout way to (A) cry for help and (B) express concern about the well-being of other scoopers.   There are resources available WD.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5122 on: May 10, 2020, 08:54:47 PM »
Interestingly, an increase in spending on mental health would benefit a guy like him quite a bit.

Unnecessary.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5123 on: May 10, 2020, 09:35:59 PM »
Unnecessary.

You're right, he really should seek help.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5124 on: May 10, 2020, 09:39:28 PM »

out of bounds-making light of mh not cool.  thought we moved on from this stuff...
don't...don't don't don't don't