Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pace of play.  (Read 2118 times)

JD

• All American
Pace of play.
« on: December 20, 2012, 11:30:22 AM »
Has anybody noticed our pace of play is staggering slower this year than say the past 7 years?

Yes i know we have De' De' and Otule, but we also had De'De' last year and i think we were the 9th fastest team in the nation.  I couldn't help but scream at the tv as i watched Junior walk up the court with 2 minutes left in the game down by 4.  What gives this year?  Why aren't they running and gunning?  I'd think with our lack of offense you'd want to run the offense more and try and get to the rack with easy free throws.

Thoughts?
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Pace of play.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 11:35:25 AM »
Has anybody noticed our pace of play is staggering slower this year than say the past 7 years?

Yes i know we have De' De' and Otule, but we also had De'De' last year and i think we were the 9th fastest team in the nation.  I couldn't help but scream at the tv as i watched Junior walk up the court with 2 minutes left in the game down by 4.  What gives this year?  Why aren't they running and gunning?  I'd think with our lack of offense you'd want to run the offense more and try and get to the rack with easy free throws.

Thoughts?

No DJO who set land speed records going down the court.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 11:39:47 AM »
I may be wrong, but I don't think Gardner, Otule, Jake, Lockett or DWilson are made for sprinting

JD

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 11:53:36 AM »
I may be wrong, but I don't think Gardner, Otule, Jake, Lockett or DWilson are made for sprinting

D Wilson isn't made for sprinting?  He could probably run a 40 yd dash in low 4's.

The others you mentioned should definitely be able to keep pace with De'De', he had no issues last year...

I think the issue with this years team is the pace in which they're playing.  Nobody can shoot the ball consistantly, they're packing the paint because thats our only realistic option to score, why not drive hard and get to the rack.  MU's offense really reminds me of the Badgers this year...
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 12:10:02 PM »
Without turnovers it is very difficult to force pace upwards.  Forcing it slower is always much easier.

TexMex

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 12:35:04 PM »
FREE THROWS!!! Even when we do go into hyper-speed and get to the line, nobody can make a free-throw to save their life. They should stay after practice until they can make 10 free throws in a row... twice.

I'm the same way though. Could never make a FT. So i guess I understand.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
Our pace is slower, because our defense turns very few steels into fast breaks.

LON

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 12:49:45 PM »
FREE THROWS!!! Even when we do go into hyper-speed and get to the line, nobody can make a free-throw to save their life. They should stay after practice until they can make 10 free throws in a row... twice.

I'm the same way though. Could never make a FT. So i guess I understand.

Free throws through Savannah State:  127/183 = 69.4%
Free throws through UWGB:  131/192 = 68.2%

Ranking after UWGB:  191st out of 347

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 12:50:23 PM »

Thoughts?
When you run and there is no gun, you tend to slow it down.  

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 01:46:30 PM »
When you run and there is no gun, you tend to slow it down.  

What if we try gunning without running?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 02:05:06 PM »
What if we try gunning without running?
I think that you need gunners in order to that.

feedback