collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1115077 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #3000 on: April 02, 2020, 04:47:54 PM »
Pot kettle. Stones Glass Houses.

Maybe look in the mirror first next time.

Your really are a sensitive one aren’t you.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3001 on: April 02, 2020, 04:52:01 PM »
It will take 8-12 months to even know if the trials are working at all. That is the minimum, and may be a little on the fast end.

In an interview I heard with Dr. Fauci, he said the 12-18 month timeline was already the fast track.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3002 on: April 02, 2020, 04:52:08 PM »
I guess you mean other than all the ones quoted in the various links posted here?

Lots of people (including Joe Biden) sent out mixed signals. Cotton was alarmed and all over it. So, no.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3003 on: April 02, 2020, 04:54:55 PM »

Your really are a sensitive one aren’t you.

Nope. That’s psychological projection, ...asking if I’m sensitive. I am the one that let’s people post. It’s rather silly to me. People post off topic all day here, repeat all kinds of things. I don’t feel the need to point those things out that you and/or others post, to you, or other posters, or moderators. I mostly post on topic without doing that compared to many or most. That’s why it’s rather humorous to me as I read the posts and threads.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:58:23 PM by shoothoops »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3004 on: April 02, 2020, 05:24:27 PM »
I feel so much better about the federal response now that Jared is on the case.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3005 on: April 02, 2020, 05:35:25 PM »

Hey, he solved the Middle East problem that no one else could, so he had some spare time on his hands.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3006 on: April 02, 2020, 05:37:05 PM »

He has a lot of experience doing whatever it takes to force undesirable tenants out of New York.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3007 on: April 02, 2020, 05:58:59 PM »
Really? Really? Lol. I see you didn't respond to my last post and simply say whoops your bad.

Holy F*ck dude.  I was being nice.  Not my bad at all - YOUR BAD!  Apparently you can't read you PMs either.  Here's what I sent this morning, privately to avoid embarrassing you.

I really wasn't trying to be argumentative.  Sorry you took it that way, and I'll try to explain myself.

I posted that Wimbledon was canceled. Please provide link where it was already posted.
You broke this one!

I posted an article about how the government let the ventilator contract expire. Link?
Your post: https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=59849.msg1228665#msg1228665
3 hours earlier: https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=59849.msg1228594#msg1228594

In the post you reference above, the post was about two new articles I have not seen posted regarding the cruise ship and that only Floridians are being let off. Can you post the links where they were already posted?
Your post: https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=59849.msg1228680#msg1228680
About 6 hours earlier: https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=60350.msg1228561#msg1228561

(i also posted about Stan's new staff in the Stan thread I started, but you may have missed it since most of the thread is filled with posts not about Stan)
I was only referring to covid topics.

If you want to keep posting things without reading first fine, but I'll keep pointing out where others have already discussed things.  You're welcome.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:01:32 PM by rocky_warrior »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3008 on: April 02, 2020, 06:01:05 PM »
Lots of people (including Joe Biden) sent out mixed signals. Cotton was alarmed and all over it. So, no.

Did Diane Feinstein send "mixed signals" as well? She was communicating with DHHS a week before Cotton (see my post above), and I haven't seen anything to indicate that she sent out anything to lower the red flag.

The fact is that while Cotton deserves some praise for raising peoples' awareness, he certainly wasn't the first or only person to do so. And whatever credit he gets for raising awareness, he ought to be docked a few points for tying it to the debunked conspiracy theory about COVID-19 being engineered in a Chinese lab. Because when you tie your warnings to an easily-debunked theory, it causes people to wonder about your credibility. Just provide the scientifically sound warning, but leave it at that...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3009 on: April 02, 2020, 06:12:57 PM »
In an interview I heard with Dr. Fauci, he said the 12-18 month timeline was already the fast track.

I believe the 12-18 months is for it to be in wide use.

I was citing a timeline for approved and ready for use. There are some logistical hurdles beyond that, and I was taking into consideration that some trials have been moving a long for almost a month now.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3010 on: April 02, 2020, 06:14:29 PM »
Talk about an exaggeration.  Even according to Fox news...
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/michigan-reverses-course-on-trump-touted-coronavirus-drugs

- Michigan gov banned it for off-label use - saving their stock for intended treatments
- Then the FDA declared it OK to use off-label without a clinical trial, and opened up their stock,- So Michigan said fine, give us some, we'll try it for covid

Not as "reverse course" as you present it.

come on rock, at face value, yes/maybe.  if you peel away all the possible excuses and with an honest face, you know what was going on here.   you know gosh darn well that she was getting heat. in politics, EVERYTHING is calculated.  her state is one of the harder hit areas. she sits back disallowing "that drug" from being used in her state while people are dying, she's gonna make uncle joe appear astute.

wait...now fox news is cool? 

of course they are going to put the disclaimer in there because it is true.  as i have mentioned in previous posts.  we use off label drugs for many other uses than their original primary intent.  aspirin was originally used for pain relief.  now its used for a blood thinner among many other things.  as drugs are being used, secondary and tertiary uses are discovered.  the drug itself is safe.  now that doesn't mean someone may have an adverse reaction.   

let's be terribly honest here-if you and/or a family member or someone you really care about, has the virus, are you going to sit around and do nothing aside from the routine care they've been giving in the beginning?  if so, better get ready for that "one call" dude or a whole bunch of others are salivating on the side line ready to carpet bomb the country with their "better call saul" cards

i know this is going to cause a strong reaction, but sometimes i get a funny feeling that some don't really want to conquer this thing...too fast...hmmmm  i know, tin foil hat and black helicopters about

always half FULL

don't...don't don't don't don't

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3011 on: April 02, 2020, 06:23:08 PM »

Pelosi set up a select committee today in the house too. 

This crisis is now over.  The house and Jared to save the day.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3012 on: April 02, 2020, 06:50:35 PM »
France is scary today.

2,116 new cases
1,355 new deaths.

I think they may have some testing issues there too.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3013 on: April 02, 2020, 06:59:39 PM »
France is scary today.

2,116 new cases
1,355 new deaths.

I think they may have some testing issues there too.

There is a note on this with worldometers.

France today reported 884 additional deaths that have occurred in nursing homes over the past days and weeks [source]. The French Government did not include these deaths in their official count, as their count only takes into consideration deaths of hospitalized patients. Following international standards of correct inclusion, our statistics will include these deaths, and will add them to the April 2, 2020 count following the attribution criteria of date of report.

If and when the French government determines and communicates the correct distribution of these additional deaths over time, we will adjust the historical data accordingly. A similar issue took place on February 12, when China reported an additional 13,332 new cases in a single day due to a change in how cases were diagnosed and reported in Hubei.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3014 on: April 02, 2020, 07:04:39 PM »
There is a note on this with worldometers.

France today reported 884 additional deaths that have occurred in nursing homes over the past days and weeks [source]. The French Government did not include these deaths in their official count, as their count only takes into consideration deaths of hospitalized patients. Following international standards of correct inclusion, our statistics will include these deaths, and will add them to the April 2, 2020 count following the attribution criteria of date of report.

If and when the French government determines and communicates the correct distribution of these additional deaths over time, we will adjust the historical data accordingly. A similar issue took place on February 12, when China reported an additional 13,332 new cases in a single day due to a change in how cases were diagnosed and reported in Hubei.

Thanks, that is good to know. Otherwise the situation in France was even more scary than it was.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3015 on: April 02, 2020, 07:06:38 PM »
It is true that many politicians sent mixed signals.  It is also true that many politicians besides Cotton raised serious concerns at early on, he was hardly alone. 

His concerns had the added layer of conspiracy theory laced with xenophobia.  Even now he continues to spread debunked theories, as documented in the links in this thread, even after the source he was using said he was wrong and he should stop saying it.

So, yes.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 07:10:00 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3016 on: April 02, 2020, 07:10:56 PM »
Hospital leaders who say they don’t have proper equipment are merely “complainers” according to our leader.

In Florida, the governor banned cities from closing churches during the outbreak.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3017 on: April 02, 2020, 07:16:59 PM »
Apologies if this specific update has already been posted. Earlier, someone mentioned that Mayo Clinic was close to developing an antibody test to determine who has had COVID and recovered.

The article below indicates that the test will be rolled out this coming Monday:

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/04/01/mayo-clinic-expects-covid19-antibody-test-to-be-ready-monday

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3018 on: April 02, 2020, 07:20:08 PM »
This is a slightly old link (at least in terms of how rapidly this is evolving) but with the discussion of vaccines I recalled hearing this woman, the first live volunteer to test one of the new vaccines, give an interview.

I'm curious if any of the medical professionals on the board know, why is there a 14-month trial period?  Is there something special about that amount of time?

https://www.livescience.com/first-person-coronavirus-vaccine-clinical-trial.html

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #3019 on: April 02, 2020, 07:27:22 PM »
Social distancing within the home with relatives?  Anyone doing this?  New Jersey governor recommending. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #3020 on: April 02, 2020, 07:32:17 PM »
Social distancing within the home with relatives?  Anyone doing this?  New Jersey governor recommending.
This is probably not to practical. I mean even if you have a giant home i guess. Still if somone in the house has it its gonna get everyone in all likelihood

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #3021 on: April 02, 2020, 07:43:14 PM »

Sounds like a recipe for mental health issues. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3022 on: April 02, 2020, 07:46:39 PM »

The bigger the extended family, the greater chance someone is already carrying the virus without knowing it. If the family is willing to take those chances...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3023 on: April 02, 2020, 08:09:17 PM »
i know this is going to cause a strong reaction, but sometimes i get a funny feeling that some don't really want to conquer this thing...too fast...hmmmm  i know, tin foil hat and black helicopters about

Yeah, that's the exact impression I got from our Prez up until a few days ago!

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3024 on: April 02, 2020, 08:18:42 PM »
Holy F*ck dude.  I was being nice.  Not my bad at all - YOUR BAD!  Apparently you can't read you PMs either.  Here's what I sent this morning, privately to avoid embarrassing you.
You broke this one!
Your post: https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=59849.msg1228665#msg1228665
3 hours earlier: https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=59849.msg1228594#msg1228594
Your post: https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=59849.msg1228680#msg1228680
About 6 hours earlier: https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=60350.msg1228561#msg1228561
I was only referring to covid topics.

If you want to keep posting things without reading first fine, but I'll keep pointing out where others have already discussed things.  You're welcome.

Settle down. No I hadn't read my pm's within minutes or hours of you sending a pm. I first found out I had one this evening. And it appears this is an edited version of what you sent.

I believe you are having a difficult time being called out by some others for your political posts...being a moderator and all.

Tip: Try keeping some threads on the various boards on topic and try to follow some of your own "rules" before coming for me.