[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette University honors ’70s cop-killer Assata Shakur with mural  (Read 110890 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Got Lovell'ed, a'ina?

love/like it!  (no pun intended)
don't...don't don't don't don't

warriorchick

• All American
Loved your wife, Stacey, as the WWE diva.  Any Clooney scoop to share?

0 for 2, Blackie. That was Stacy Kiebler.

FTR, I do not know Dr. Blackheart's race, so that was not a racist remark.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American

Scoop is 100% traditional.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Warriorfish

• Scholarship Player
From MU-Warrior.blogspot.com...

TUESDAY, MAY 19, 2015

Tweet From Marquette Center Praised Assata Shakur as “Courageous”
Marquette, in the wake of our publicizing a mural in the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center lauding cop killer Assata Shakur, has been in damage control mode, insisting that higher level administrators didn’t know about it.

And that may well be so. But did staffers in the Center, who must have approved the mural know about the woman they were holding up as a sage or role model? Or was it all just a matter of ignorance, with the women of the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority wanting to put up a mural of a woman nobody knew anything about? If it was ignorance, the ignorance was stunning.

Of course, the quotes in question came from Shakur’s autobiography. How could anybody read her autobiography and not know about her murder conviction? But maybe somebody simply found the quotes entirely out of context.

However The College Fix has turned up a Tweet, from the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center, that clearly implies staffers there did know about the woman whose image they allowed to be painted on their wall.

How in the world could they think she was “courageous?” If they had any information about her at all, they would know that Shakur is a cop killer who is on the FBI’s list of the Ten Most Wanted Terrorists. Who judged her to be “courageous?”
Labels: Assata Shakur, black militant, cop killer, Gender and Sexuality Resource Center, Marquette University, Political Correctness

POSTED BY JOHN MCADAMS AT 4:54 PM 0 COMMENTS LINKS TO THIS POST  

BTW, here is the tweet calling her "courageous"...

User Actions  
 Follow

Marquette GSRC
‏@MarquetteGSRC
TADA, our mural is finished!  In commemoration of the courageous, Assata Shakur. http://fb.me/7cbFADIfL
0 retweets 0 favorites
Reply  Retweet  Favorite Follow
More
9:54 AM - 24 Mar 2015

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

Nor my sense of humor...

real chili 83

• All American
Yawn.

brandx

fine, if you were just fired from a company for essentially doing the same thing, flipped, how would you look? happy?  payback is a beetch-heyna? if it weren't for mcadams shining the light of day on these "do-gooders", that mural would probably still be up. does anyone here believe marquette would have taken it upon themselves to find and remove this mural?  ...and the horizontally-challenged lady is not quite ready to sing just yet.  we need more john mcadams within the university to provide balance to these far left wing attempts to spread their "crap".  this radical group just showed their true colors and was originally formed to appease their beetching about the rescinding of the hiring of one professor o'brien.  so they form this group under the guise of sexual diversity, get this money as a pacifier and what do they do with it?  push the envelope?  the mural has nothing to do with gender blah blah. note the timing-gee, just when it appears to be in vogue to bash or even celebrate cop-abuse?  (check jayzee funding the release of baltimore protesters) the groups formation was just a militant foot in the door to proceed with more of their left wing agenda.  watch-any criticism on them, and you will see a barrage of accusations- you are anti-this and a denier-that, and fill-in-the-blank-phobic and the ever popular...drum roll please...RACE CARD. hello al sharton; he just obtained a new biness account.  they will be like that bad neighbor ya can't get rid of unlike a tenured conservative professor-that was easy.  just watch-they may stay under the radar for a while, but just when ya think all's calm-they're baaaaccck.  welcome to the university of marquette-berkeley/midwest(UM-B/MW)-this is not our fathers university anymore.   gotta go and find me another tax-write-off :-[ 

You do realize that every time there is an issue involving black or white, you always bring up Al Sharpton?

warriorchick

• All American
Wow.  They couldn't even wait until early Friday evening, aintya?

Why would they wait? This is good news.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
You do realize that every time there is an issue involving black or white, you always bring up Al Sharpton?

But he's not racist. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course

But he's not racist. 

and you call me a troll?  way to try to take out your anger/disagreements with my political views. right out of saul's handbook.  i am not going to allow either of you to label or stigmatize me to the rest of this board with the incendiary "r" word.  that's all you got out of that was al sharpton?  dog whistle?  trees-forest?  you guys are classic.  i could sit here and try to defend myself to no avail for you guys-oh, some of my best friends are...i've hired someone from every walk of minority, religion, sexual preference, etc.  as a matter of fact, i may be selling a portion of my company/forming a partnership with an associate who happens to be gay.  i've had middle easterners, women, african-american women, white guys, brown guys, blah blah blah. i know it's all b.s., but just saying...you guys say/believe what you want, as i've told you many times-i'm a colr-blind character guy.  accept it if you will.  i don't really give a fluck-i know who i am

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
and you call me a troll?  way to try to take out your anger/disagreements with my political views. right out of saul's handbook.  i am not going to allow either of you to label or stigmatize me to the rest of this board with the incendiary "r" word.  that's all you got out of that was al sharpton?  dog whistle?  trees-forest?  you guys are classic.  i could sit here and try to defend myself to no avail for you guys-oh, some of my best friends are...i've hired someone from every walk of minority, religion, sexual preference, etc.  as a matter of fact, i may be selling a portion of my company/forming a partnership with an associate who happens to be gay.  i've had middle easterners, women, african-american women, white guys, brown guys, blah blah blah. i know it's all b.s., but just saying...you guys say/believe what you want, as i've told you many times-i'm a colr-blind character guy.  accept it if you will.  i don't really give a fluck-i know who i am

People throw out that "r-word" because it's the best way they know how to stifle a debate

GB Warrior

• All American
A lot of dung slinging going on here, but Marquette handled this ideally. Regardless of whether or not it was a lapse in judgement of a few students, the person that should be responsible is the one charged with oversight of the group (think Houston Rockets). That's what happened here, and I think we can go back to bickering about far less divisive topics. However, I do find it amazing that A.) there is a petition going for her to be re-hired and B.) that this generation thinks that petitions do something.

brandx

But he's not racist. 

Sultan, I don't know, but I would tend to say he isn't. I think it is more that his posts reflect the websites he reads.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
People throw out that "r-word" because it's the best way they know how to stifle a debate

it's so predictable from a liberal.  they are the ones who look at everything thru a prizm.  the y see color, religion, sexual orientation first.  as i've said, i see character-al sharpton is not a person of good character-he's a L-O-S-E-R, and jayzee just introduced himself to that group by his ACTIONS, not his skin color.  get it? content of ones character.  it's very apparent to at least a few here, that sunshiner and brandy are saul aulinsky radical liberals.  just because the may have offered the class when they were in school doesn't mean you had to drink the kool-ade.  saul aulinsky wasn't a very nice guy either-now ya getting the picture? 

reinko

• All American
Non racists use terms like coloreds, when referring to African Americans.

GGGG

• All American
Sultan, I don't know, but I would tend to say he isn't. I think it is more that his posts reflect the websites he reads.

Fine.  Then I would say that he is prejudiced to a certain reaction when it comes to issues involving race.

I'm not attempting to stifle anything.  Nice try though.

it's so predictable from a liberal.  they are the ones who look at everything thru a prizm.  the y see color, religion, sexual orientation first.  as i've said, i see character-al sharpton is not a person of good character-he's a L-O-S-E-R, and jayzee just introduced himself to that group by his ACTIONS, not his skin color.  get it? content of ones character.  it's very apparent to at least a few here, that sunshiner and brandy are saul aulinsky radical liberals.  just because the may have offered the class when they were in school doesn't mean you had to drink the kool-ade.  saul aulinsky wasn't a very nice guy either-now ya getting the picture?  

And *I* am the one that looks at things through a prism?  Laughable.

And see, I have never defended this mural.  I have never defended those who painted it or authorized it to be put up on the wall.  You are the one making all sorts of presumptions about their motives.  Calling them "radical"... "militant"... playing the race card.  You drone on and on about how you are above labeling and judge people according to their character, yet you seem to imply all sorts of things based on this one incident. 

Judge the action.  The action was stupid.  It was poorly conceived and most certainly not well executed by the students or the staff of the institution.  When you start making other assumptions about who they are and their motivations, without knowing them as individuals, I have a problem with that. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:13:51 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
"Judge the action.  The action was stupid.  It was poorly conceived and most certainly not well executed by the students or the staff of the institution.  When you start making other assumptions about who they are and their motivations, without knowing them as individuals, I have a problem with that. "

Amen, brother.  Thank you for succinctly stating how tiresome-ness this extended tirade has become.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
I see this story scrolling on my Yahoo News bar when I logged into e-mail this morning.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
 "When you start making other assumptions about who they are and their motivations, without knowing them as individuals, I have a problem with that".

hypocrite-a person who pretends to have virtues, morals, religious beliefs or priniciples and whose actions or words belie those assumed beliefs-then there is a picture of you and brandy next to the definition-own it
and then you and brandy have both basically labeled me with the race card? again, face it, when you don't like someones politics, you throw the "r" bomb-grow-up

reinko-the "c" word in reference to african-americans was supposed to be light hearted and should have been in teal and probably not a good decision-my apologies.   

Warriorfish

• Scholarship Player
Charles Sykes ‏@SykesCharlie  12m12 minutes ago
Smoking gun. MU's Susannah Bartlow signed petition to remove Assata Shakur from "Most wanted Terrorist List" https://www.change.org/p/president-barack-obama-remove-assata-shakur-from-the-fbi-s-most-wanted-terrorists-list

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
If it could be handled quietly, it would have never happened in the first place.  This group seems to be so radicalized that I think their intention was to make an outrageous statements with the intent of getting push-back.  And if this mural is not addressed, it will be forgotten because their next statement will be even more outrageous.  So draw the line now.

Responsibility is an important part of maturing.  If you want to make statements like this, then you should be asked to defend them.  If this is to much to ask of this group, then the GSRC should be closed.
Just began and ended my reading of this thread on this one. I don't think I can meet Heisenberg halfway to even understand what the hell he is talking about. It seems to contain a lot of Fox News buzzwords like "Radicalize," but as a conservative voter I still have no effing idea what the hell you are talking about.

Truly pissing in the wind.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American

it's so predictable from a liberal.
Totally. This isn't reductive at all. Same can be said about a black, gay or jew, eh?

shut it down
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

GGGG

• All American
Charles Sykes ‏@SykesCharlie  12m12 minutes ago
Smoking gun. MU's Susannah Bartlow signed petition to remove Assata Shakur from "Most wanted Terrorist List" https://www.change.org/p/president-barack-obama-remove-assata-shakur-from-the-fbi-s-most-wanted-terrorists-list

Yeah I think it is pretty obvious the buck ended with her.  That's why she was fired.

Does Charlie realize that?

feedback