[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dick Strong and Buzz  (Read 21936 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Dick Strong and Buzz
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2008, 04:55:25 PM »
Are you suggesting Strong made contributions to other schools to leave Crean alone?  So that is why Crean's name was often in the press when other jobs opened -- it was not b/c Crean was pushing it like some here have claimed -- but rather the ingenius development officers at those schools using him for fund raising.  

Bad luck for Indiana.  They obviously tried to do the same thing only to learn that the Strong well had run dry, and IU is now "stuck" w/ Crean as its head coach.  And instead of Strong's huge contribution, Indiana has to continue to subsist on tax dollars and my far more meager contributions.

Use his financial firm (past tense now) to exert influence on the unversities endowment and/or that University benefactor to "go find someone else."  It's not as simple as a check to the general fund.  It might be a phone call to the billionaire running the other unversity bball team and asking him to "do me a favor". Might be more forecful.  Whatever it takes.

I still get the sense you poeple still think basketball people actually run the basketball program.  They only do when the program stinks.

Even Coach K has to answer to Darla Moore and Bill Gross

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »
Perhaps.  However in this case he might not have wanted to get into a bidding war with Mark Cuban.

Cuban is involved, but more involved with trying to get the football off the ground.  He already has a bball team to occupy himself.

If he was involved with the bball to the level you imply, Bennett would not have been able to say no.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2008, 05:33:36 PM »
 More specifically, if Cottingham said "I want Buzz" and Strong said "I do not", would Buzz be the head coach?  Get real.

Hence, Strong runs the program.

If Dick Strong tried to force the administration to hire Coach X and Fr. Wild was intensely opposed to Coach X, would Coach X be hired? Get real.

Hence, Dick Strong does not run the program.

I'm curious, though. What exactly are your connections with Marquette and/or Marquette athletics that you can make such bold proclamations?

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2008, 05:41:34 PM »
First off -- Dick Strong thank you for your ongoing support of Marquette University.

In terms of keeping Crean at Marquette -- well Strong could have made an offer he couldn't refuse.   8-)  No Godfather approach but a $ one.

On the legal questions Strong faced -- Spitzer didn't have the case so it didn't go anywhere.  The rules were changed in the industry and Strong moved on.  Spitzer got some temporary political jack out of it.  The double standard came back to do in the now former governor.  Remember JFK's dad  -- Joe Kennedy made money by the market rules of the day and was later asked to head up the Securities and Exchange Commission to close the rules that made him super rich.  

Living in Oklahoma I can tell you if you're a sports fan of a specific college you would rather have Strong than Boone Pickens.  Both are intelligent and with a wild of steel.  Pickens totally calls the shots at Oklahoma State.  Sean Sutton despite being the son of the Legendary Eddie Sutton couldn't keep his job once Boone wanted a change.

Of the cast of characters involved with the Marquette hiring I'd trust Strong more than anyone else.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2008, 06:17:40 PM »
He'll buy off IU to find someone else like he did all the other schools that went after Crean earlier in the decade.

Point is, he did not want to buy off IU.

Come on....that is so silly.  Look, I can see Strong coming in to help MU match an offer like with KO or another coach leaving.  Point is, Crean left before any match could be had.  In fact, Crean said in follow-up interviews he was sorry he left the way he did but part of it was because he didn't want to have to face some of those folks...I interpreted that as he didn't want to have to go through some of the save tactics that MU probably would have gone through to save Crean, including Strong.

A bit cowardice, but when you know someone for 9 years some people don't want to face others.  Some just cut the cord, write the Dear John letter and that's the end of it. 

But to suggest Strong is buying off (or would buy off) other departments to prevent a coach from going...I'm sorry, I need a lot of reynolds wrap for that one to creat a tinfoil hat.  Just not buying it.

Strong is a behind the scenes kind of guy.  It's why I said earlier today that no one commented on the article (except for Wild).  I should have put a wink next to that statement....there's a reason why no one comments because that's the way Strong wants it.

Just be happy we've got Dick Strong on our side and on Milwaukee's side.  He does a lot of great things for MU and for the city of Milwaukee.  But he isn't out there buying off programs.  That doesn't mean he was sorry to see Crean leave, but my guess is that if it came down to money, he would have helped to keep Crean in the fold.  Crean left for reasons beyond money.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2008, 06:20:15 PM »
If Dick Strong tried to force the administration to hire Coach X and Fr. Wild was intensely opposed to Coach X, would Coach X be hired? Get real.

Hence, Dick Strong does not run the program.

I'm curious, though. What exactly are your connections with Marquette and/or Marquette athletics that you can make such bold proclamations?

I know Dick Strong

You're assuming that Strong would try and force someone totally unqualified on MU.  He would NEVER do that.

And since he would never do that, Father Wild will never say no to him.  That's Tantamount to saying no to his millions.  That will NEVER happen

Hence, Dick Strong runs the basketball program.  Not the University, just the basketball program.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2008, 06:28:41 PM »

But to suggest Strong is buying off (or would buy off) other departments to prevent a coach from going...I'm sorry, I need a lot of Reynolds wrap for that one to create a tinfoil hat.  Just not buying it.

Strong is a behind the scenes kind of guy.  It's why I said earlier today that no one commented on the article (except for Wild).  I should have put a wink next to that statement....there's a reason why no one comments because that's the way Strong wants it.

Are you suggesting benefactors don't get involved with the other University when they try and steal their coach?

I suppose you think Donovan really had a "change of heart" in not going to Kentucky.  No money or under the table deals were involved (all legal if they do not involve recruits or players, it how business is done).  No, it was Billy and his wife and consciecne talking things over the kitchen table.

5YearsatMU

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2008, 06:35:11 PM »
1. Dick Strong demands anonymity so no one at Marquette would speak, except Fr. Wild.

2. Dick Strong does not interfere in any way, shape or form with Marquette's coaches or the administration. One member of the Administration they are surprised how little he exerts himself. He stays out of the way and asks for nothing. The priveleges he has been granted are because they were offered to him by MU, not because Strong asked, much less demanded.

3.  Dick Strong was not advised about TC's actions until after he had signed the IU contract (termed letter of understanding) per my sources. That was probably intentional because Strong may well have assisted MU in besting the IU offer.

4. Strong is a quirky guy but he and his wife a very well liked people by their friends and contemporaries.

5. Strong along with a few other wealthy alums were involved in the hiring process. Some, like Strong offered their assistance while others tried to force a different result. Strong was consulted and assisted in a few areas.

6. If you thought Strong was "guilty" of anything in the Spitzer investigation (remember the feds and SEC took a pass on investigating Strong), I offer this: Spitzer was a prosecutor who allowed a very wealthy man to buy his way out of a prosecution--contrary to the rules of ethics for prosecutors. Spitzer either brings a case or he doesn't. Instead, he blackmails this wealthy guy, taking nothing from him or his heirs--only his charitable giving--perhaps taking money which may have been earmarked for Marquette or other Milwaukee-area charities. Dick Strong will still pass the same money down to the next generation and won't go cheap on any vacations as a result. Spitzer was building his case for a run for governor on the backs of Strong and others. So we now know who the whore was. Dick Strong MAY have stradled an ethical line, but in the wake of the Spitzer self-destruction, how can anyone say anything negative about Strong with any certainty?

This needed to be quoted. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2008, 06:53:15 PM »
Dick Strong was busted for "market-timing."  That means he traded in and out of the Strong mutual funds "after the fact."  All told for a man worth nearly a billion dollars at the time, Spitzer said he made maybe $600k off these illegal trades over many years.

It was a stupid stupid move on Strong's part.  While illegal it was a practice that literally hundreds in the securities business regularly did at the time.  Akin to driving 75 on the highway, illegal but most do it.

Spitzer should have had Strong pay a still fine, restitution and move on.  Instead Spitzer was an out of control and crushed him and in the process ruined his firm (it was sold to Well Fargo for a fraction of its value before the scandal).  In killing the Strong funds, Spitzer wound up costing a few thousand people their jobs in Wisconsin.  How did this serve justice?  But this was the way Spitzer operated and many hated him for this (google "Ken Langone NYSE Spitzer" if interested).  This is why they cheered on the floor of the NYSE the day Spitzer announced he was resigning.

Strong made a mistake but the punishment was outrageous for the crime.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 06:54:55 PM by AnotherMU84 »

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2008, 07:05:47 PM »
Personally, I like when people choose to supprot MU and especially MU BB.  We could not survive without it.  But I also believe that no matter how much you contribute, you should not expect to get a voice in how to run it.  I wonder how he got the voice - did he insist, or did MU think, wow - we should let him have a say here or this support might go away.  I hope neither.  I hope it was a courtesy interview that did not determine the outcome.  But what do I know?!

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2008, 07:40:58 PM »
I rest my case.

What case? Name a successful University with out big time benefactors.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2008, 07:45:12 PM »
What case? Name a successful University with out big time benefactors.

Come on Dude, I said early on Strong hired Buzz and I meant it. Problem being few believed me until now.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »
He'll buy off IU to find someone else like he did all the other schools that went after Crean earlier in the decade.

Point is, he did not want to buy off IU.
\

Yeah, he will buy them off. give me a break.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2008, 08:24:17 PM »
Look how far we've come in the last 10 years. I'm cool with Dick Strong running things.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2008, 08:35:02 PM »
OT: I find it strange no one wanted to comment on the obvious Dick Strong jokes.  ;D

We've got a pretty good one in the esteemed journalist: Michael Hunt

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2008, 08:38:24 PM »
Akin to driving 75 on the highway, illegal but most do it.

That is so true.  His personality is such that he does indeed "push it" to the limit.  The "all in" quote is spot on.  I'm very glad he is taking that approach to MU BB.
Ludum habemus.

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2008, 09:55:44 PM »
I wish we had 10 more Dick Strongs.
Anyone who wants to donate a ton of money is fine with me.
I know I can't do it, but if I did, I'd expect to have some input if I wanted.

Dick Strong=Awesome name!
Remember if your Dick Strong lasts greater than 4 hours please seek a physician... ;D
"We have the blues on the run!"

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2008, 10:23:11 PM »
Come on Dude, I said early on Strong hired Buzz and I meant it. Problem being few believed me until now.

I don't think anybody doubted that Strong had some influence--after all, he's the one paying the bill.

What many are trying to figure out is where you get off assuming that you're smarter than Strong.  You keep acting as if YOU know better than Strong.  Better than Wild.  Better than Crean.  Better than Cottingham.  You, apparently are the smartest person in college athletics.

If you're so damn smart, GO GET A JOB WITH SOME OTHER PROGRAM.  Your brilliance obviously could be used by any of the 300+ D1 programs that draw fewer fans than MU, win fewer games, garner less respect, and don't have the same positive PR. 

Boo freakin hoo that MU won't listen to you.  Why are you still whining about it here.  If you think you're a better AD than Cottingham, go use your steallar repuataion on a real challenge.  Volunteer to pick the next coach for Savannah State and turn them into the new UNC or UK.  You obviously know exactly how.  You think you can run a university better than Wild, then go find one.  You know which AD to hire.  Which coach to bring on board.  Which boosters to keep out of the program.  What opponents to schedule.  What plays to run.

You obviously know it all.  So go prove it somewhere.   

Maybe then someone here will care.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
Chico, just curious, what exactly is reverse blackmail?

I call it reverse blackmail because it's the government doing it and they don't get in trouble for it.  Legal extortion might be another word for it.

Threaten a company or individual, drag them to court, get a settlement out of them before a single conviction.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2008, 10:43:02 PM »
Are you suggesting benefactors don't get involved with the other University when they try and steal their coach?

I suppose you think Donovan really had a "change of heart" in not going to Kentucky.  No money or under the table deals were involved (all legal if they do not involve recruits or players, it how business is done).  No, it was Billy and his wife and consciecne talking things over the kitchen table.

Of course benefactors get involved....but I don't think you're following the timeline here.  Crean was gone before Strong even had a chance to react.  Would Strong have reacted...who knows.  It's a moot point on this specific topic.

I was more puzzled by your original quote saying that Strong can prevent someone from going...are you still sticking to that statement?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2008, 11:16:10 PM »
Here is what I heard ~ Dick wanted Tom to run his sales office and he wanted Buzz to run the basketball team.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2008, 11:16:44 PM »
I was more puzzled by your original quote saying that Strong can prevent someone from going...are you still sticking to that statement?

Ok, let's play the word games.  

No I'm not talking slavery.  But if Strong wants to, he can influence/change a situation.  Given his role in the program, he can change the outcome of events.  That's what I meant.  

If Crean wants out, you and I read about it and/or post messages about it.  But we cannot change that outcome.  Strong has the influence and means to change the outcome, and he does and has.

Crean leaving means one of two things:

1) Strong was simply not given any chance to change it
2) Strong did not want to change it

You believe Crean's departure was basically #1.  I SUSPECT that #2 also played a role in Crean's departure.  My guess (and that is all it is) is Crean got certain messages/body language from Strong that it was time to leave.  So, when the message came to Strong that Crean left, I'm guessing (again) he was not as shocked by it.

Finally, given Strong's role in the program and Cottingham's "newness", the AD is not in a position to go from paying a HC almost $2m/year to an unproven assistant $600k/year UNLESS Strong approves.  If Cottingham wanted to hire say Larry Brown at $2.5m/year and you told me Strong disapproved, I might buy that.  But I'm not buying that Strong threw his checkbook on the table to get a high priced coach and Cottingham refused his money and fought him to hire Buzz.  Strong approved.

So, if Strong is ok with Buzz, I am too.  If Strong is part of the hiring process, and Fr. Wild said he was, then the hiring process was fine.  Moderators, please delete the 10,000 posts about the flawed process because they were all wrong.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 11:18:57 PM by AnotherMU84 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2008, 11:25:50 PM »
Fair enough...and my apologies.  I get torqued off when people scrutinize some of my postings to the nth degree (even asking for proof at times or worse implications) so I shouldn't be doing it to you.  No question Strong has strong influence that can certainly play an important role with the program and who the coach is, etc.

He would certainly be one of the 5 or so people that they would run it by for a blessing a long with another prominent BOT member(s) that have been mentioned here already.  Hopefully it works out.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 11:28:13 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2008, 11:29:56 PM »
I know Dick Strong

You're assuming that Strong would try and force someone totally unqualified on MU.  He would NEVER do that.

I know Barack Obama. That doesn't mean I have any special insight into every aspect of his life.

And no, I'm not suggesting Strong would try and force someone totally unqualified into the position.
Rather, I'm suggesting that if he and Fr. Wild - each of whom want what's best for the program - have a legitimate difference of opinion, Fr. Wild wins out. And, that being the case, Dick Strong does not run the Marquette basketball program. Judging by the learned Gato's remarks, it sounds like Mr. Strong does not want or try to run the Marquette program.
I have no doubt he has a great deal of influence and that Fr. Wild and others listen to and respect his opinion. But influence does not equal control.

But, for the sake of argument, let's say you're correct. At least now we know once and for all who was behind the "Gold" fiasco.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2008, 12:48:37 AM »
I'm suggesting that if he and Fr. Wild - each of whom want what's best for the program - have a legitimate difference of opinion, Fr. Wild wins out.

This is a theoretical argument that is not going to happen.

Wild has basically told us that Strong runs the program and he only watches from a distance.

From Roisak's blog, April 15, 2008

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/04/15/father-wild-on-crean.aspx

[excerpt]

During the search for a new coach, Wild said he met with Buzz Williams, the new Marquette coach. Wild said he did not meet with any other candidate.

"I had not met Buzz previously," Wild said. "I heard good things about him. I knew he was Tom's number one assistant and Tom was very happy with his assistants, probably happier than he had been, and would have certainly taken Buzz to Indiana in a heartbeat.

"But we had a sense that here was somebody who was willing to work hard, someone who was hungry to succeed, and who had the drive and work ethic and, of course, the recruiting skills to give us the sense that he could be the one to make this program go forward."

Wild said he spent time with Williams to learn about his personal life. "I heard his story, which I found very impressive. It seemed to me that there is tremendous human potential in this man," Wild said.

While Wild credited the team of Marquette officials and influential alumni for the hard work they put in to find a new coach, he also said the Big East Conference was a big help as well.

"There's high motivation within the conference to see the basketball programs succeed, along with football," he said.

---------------

In nine months, Father Wild never met with Buzz.  Father Wild is telling you he has no opinion about the personnel in the bball program.  He's only going to look at them from a moral character point of view, as a Priest should.  To be clear, I have absolutely no problem at all with this role.  It is entirely appropriate.  In fact, if Father Wild was grilling Buzz about the swing offense, I'd be a little worried.

Running the bball program does not mean Strong is the dictator of the program.  He understands that are limits and parameters.  And a Jesuit school like MU, and an influential person person like Father Wild, are going to demand a certain level of moral character in their personnel.  Strong has been associated with the program for over a decade and has delievered within these guidelines.  So, where is this conflict you keep talking about?

Second, Father Wild also said;Wild credited the team of Marquette officials and influential alumni for the hard work they put in to find a new coach.  Now let's not get picky and point out Strong is not an alum.  He meant Strong.  So, Father Wild is approving of Strong's role in the program.

Conclusion - Strong runs the program.  Be happy for it.  He's good at it and I'm glad we have him.

P.S. In putting this post together, I read the last line and it struck a cord with me (I must have missed it the first time around).  Is Father Wild telling us all is not well in the Big East between Football and Basketball Schools?  Now that BE commish Tranghese announced he is retiring next year, maybe their is much more to the power struggle between the football and basketball schools in the Big East than seen on the surface?

Maybe this part should be broken out as a separate thread?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 01:03:16 AM by AnotherMU84 »