[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why was Wojo's relationship with the students/alumni so bad?  (Read 11558 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Why was Wojo's relationship with the students/alumni so bad?
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2021, 12:07:27 AM »
During his last two seasons there were multiple times were we emailed back and forth 6-7 times in a night.

Was that when The Buzzard was begging you for an invite to the Meat Summit?

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2021, 12:09:54 AM »
I had an ND football hat on

Did you lose a f#cking bet or something??

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2021, 12:16:29 AM »
My fiancé met him twice through a very well connected family and says he seemed decent but could see how he might be "stiff"

Was your finance wearing a revealing outfit?

Death on call

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2021, 05:15:07 AM »
No, absolutely not. But if he went 13-14 and had a history of good rapport with the fan base, it’s my opinion he’d still be the coach. He might have gotten a “rebuilding year” or “Covid” pass. The fading support of the fans heading into next year was more, or at least as much, of a concern than this year’s record.

On the topic of record(s) though, I think his firing had more to do with his attitude about it than the raw results. I get the sense Wojo thought he was doing a good enough job on the court and became offended/surprised when asked to do better.

I disagree completely that Wojo felt he was doing a good enough job. It’s not an excuse, but I really feel he knew Markus was both a once-in-a-lifetime player and presented an equally rare set of problems in terms of managing the egos of those around such a ball-dominant player. We truly were THAT close to greatness, and it all blew up in our faces, especially Coach’s. In hindsight, I wish he had not been so double-down stubborn in handling that. Maybe invited the Hauser and Howard families over for dinner and sought common ground, maybe not even discussing basketball, but just letting them see how they could renew friendships. Wojo knew he was falling short, and Hausershima set back the program more than I saw at the time. I can admit I was wrong. Don’t be surprised if Wojo learns from all this, lands a decent gig and has some big-time success.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2021, 05:26:03 AM »
1). Al was legendary.  Hank was endearing. Majerus had history. Deane had bball knowledge. Dukiet: pass. O’Neill recruited and was passionate. Cream recruited and had a good sales pitch. Buzz won. Wojo was generic bologna.

2). Wojo was a product of successful corporate college bball. He always acted as if he took classes on how to be a bball program leader. He rarely loosened up. He needed Majerus as a mentor. In the Midwest, we don’t warm up to this.

3).  He had an air about him. Duke pedigree made him think this MU step was in his way to an ACC job.

4).  The problem was that he couldn’t coach, couldn’t adjust mid game, had no overall plan, couldn’t develop players... and simply couldn’t win consistently.

Wojo, enjoy the $10+ million you basically stole from Marquette. The program will be below average for another half decade as the new coach cleans up your mess ! I’m sure you will BS another AD. Let the door hit you in the ass on the way out ...
1. Good points

2. Very true

3. Not at all. He loved it here and wanted to make his mark HERE.

4. Some truth

The rest of your Post is not necessary. The program will be fine. Wojo did a great job interviewing; he was ready to be a head coach, just not the Marquette head coach. I don’t doubt he thought he was ready to win here.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2021, 07:48:24 AM »
Oh great, can’t wait for keefe to catch up in every thread with an individual reply.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2021, 08:05:00 AM »
He’s a man of his word, he had long said: I will not be back posting until about 5.5 days after they fire Wojo. 

#donedeal
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart