[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why was Wojo's relationship with the students/alumni so bad?  (Read 11557 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Why was Wojo's relationship with the students/alumni so bad?
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2021, 01:37:42 PM »
100% wrong.

I happened to be in a store when Buzz was there and he saw the Marquette Warriors hoodie I was wearing and came over and complimented me on it and proceeded to talk about anything and everything while his wife was shopping.  Even in that casual one-to-one interaction, he had that eccentric charisma.

Now I HAVE heard that MU, Buzz was very insular and it was him and his team against the world, and he was often annoyed at having to deal with the administration.  Wojo, on the other hand, was the perfect company man, but I couldn't imagine him going up to a stranger and just starting a long conversation.

Buzz was his own boss, and hated being told what to do.  Wojo has needed guidance since he was out of pampers. 

MU24

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2021, 02:00:42 PM »
Winning generates buzz about the program. During my time at Marquete, the team was consistently winning big games, drawing huge crowds and in March Madness brackets every year I was there. It was infectious. When MU beat #1 Nova that was the most excited I had seen my fellow fans (casual) get. The people that visit this board are not casual fans and definitely do NOT represent the vast majority of fans. So if we get apathetic, you can imagine what the rest of fandom is like.

panda

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2021, 02:30:36 PM »
Ran into Wojo outside of a restaurant downtown after the HUGE win over creighton in 2017 that basically locked up the first tournament bid for us with the new regime.

He was excited, kind, but very robotic. He probably gave the same response to us - “our guys played their hearts out and deserve this” that he said to the reporters after the game.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2021, 02:42:41 PM »
Ran into Wojo outside of a restaurant downtown after the HUGE win over creighton in 2017 that basically locked up the first tournament bid for us with the new regime.

He was excited, kind, but very robotic. He probably gave the same response to us - “our guys played their hearts out and deserve this” that he said to the reporters after the game.

This. He was genuine and serious and not flashy.

I was in-line with him at the pisser at the Al McGuire play. Some of the Old Warriors like Pope Johnson where ahead of him reminiscing about the Warriors and Al, not knowing he was behind him. He just smiled, listening to their stories, maybe not all complimentary. And he said to me, "it's uncanny how the actor nailed Al, it was like he was on stage. These guys must love it."

I have met him numerous times. He was always serious, unassuming and appreciative. I feel bad for him but he should of had a stepping stone job first.

I have a relative who was on the National Alumni board who would put together events. They could never get Crean to return calls, let alone appear. Buzz said anywhere, anytime...and did. If there was a TV camera, Crean was available.

Buzz went south when Greg and Steve were Pilarzed.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 02:45:56 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2021, 02:45:46 PM »
Wojo might not show his personality, but Buzz's "personality" was all a facade.

Most fans were never asked to flush for him.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2021, 02:49:19 PM »
Buzz went south when Greg and Steve were Pilarzed.

Doused in brown liquor and read poetry?

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2021, 02:55:59 PM »
A lot of people on here pointing to not winning and that is probably true that winners are loved no matter what.  However, maybe people wouldn’t dislike him so much if he made an effort to connect with students, fans, etc.   Then, despite being a loser, he may have been a beloved loser.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2021, 03:35:33 PM »
I met him 3 or 4 times.  Nice. Polite ...
But dull and boring.  I saw no evidence he tried to connect with the students
OR alumni

MU needs / wants personalities:

Al, Crean , Buzz ... even Deane!
( ever talk to him at Turners while having a few beers )??  That was always entertaining

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2021, 03:46:22 PM »
I met Wojo one time at an MU event. He wasn't a very nice, outgoing guy. Was real short with me and had no interest in talking. Seemed like a bit of a prick TBH. Left a real sour taste in my mouth.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2021, 04:12:00 PM »
This is a good topic and I think it’s the primary reason he’s not coaching here anymore. Even the short periods of time where he was winning fans still didn’t care for him much it seemed. Something he has to work on for his next gig.

PhillyWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2021, 04:20:25 PM »
Wojo = Mr. Roboto
King of Platitudes
Incapable of smiling
Insecure
Couldn't Coach
Gave good hugs to players
Players friend, not coach/authority figure

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2021, 04:27:54 PM »
This is a good topic and I think it’s the primary reason he’s not coaching here anymore. Even the short periods of time where he was winning fans still didn’t care for him much it seemed. Something he has to work on for his next gig.

The "primary reason"?

So if we had gone 19-8 overall, 12-7 in the BE and made the NCAA tournament, you really think he still would have been fired because of his personality?

Come on, man. He was fired because he didn't win enough. Period. Hell, Scholl didn't even want to fire him after this disaster of a season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2021, 04:36:28 PM »
I took this pic after I told him my 4th of July story about having the Badger mascot in my house, how my wife left the mascot alone and he probably pissed on our carpet.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2021, 04:40:55 PM »
The "primary reason"?

So if we had gone 19-8 overall, 12-7 in the BE and made the NCAA tournament, you really think he still would have been fired because of his personality?

Come on, man. He was fired because he didn't win enough. Period. Hell, Scholl didn't even want to fire him after this disaster of a season.

No, absolutely not. But if he went 13-14 and had a history of good rapport with the fan base, it’s my opinion he’d still be the coach. He might have gotten a “rebuilding year” or “Covid” pass. The fading support of the fans heading into next year was more, or at least as much, of a concern than this year’s record.

On the topic of record(s) though, I think his firing had more to do with his attitude about it than the raw results. I get the sense Wojo thought he was doing a good enough job on the court and became offended/surprised when asked to do better.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2021, 04:42:57 PM »
He was definitely interesting.  We got off on a rocky start, but eventually was nice to me.  He dubbed me a renaissance man.

Funny story.  This happened 2 weeks after the Hausers left.  Wojo got on the plane and I proceeded to close the door.  Told him the flight time and asked if there was anything I could grab him.  He said “yeah how about a PF? That would really help me right about now.”  I laughed and told him I was ineligible, but appreciated the scholly offer.  He found my response humorous.

He opened up to me quite a bit when I’d walk with him, and seemed like a genuinely good guy.  Not too square where he wasn’t afraid to let out an F-bomb or two, but articulate and friendly if he knew you.

I wish him nothing but the best.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2021, 04:46:18 PM »
No, absolutely not. But if he went 13-14 and had a history of good rapport with the fan base, it’s my opinion he’d still be the coach. He might have gotten a “rebuilding year” or “Covid” pass. The fading support of the fans heading into next year was more, or at least as much, of a concern than this year’s record.

On the topic of record(s) though, I think his firing had more to do with his attitude about it than the raw results. I get the sense Wojo thought he was doing a good enough job on the court and became offended/surprised when asked to do better.

Hmm. Maybe, but I think he just didn't win enough.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2021, 04:48:30 PM »
He was definitely interesting.  We got off on a rocky start, but eventually was nice to me.  He dubbed me a renaissance man.

Funny story.  This happened 2 weeks after the Hausers left.  Wojo got on the plane and I proceeded to close the door.  Told him the flight time and asked if there was anything I could grab him.  He said “yeah how about a PF? That would really help me right about now.”  I laughed and told him I was ineligible, but appreciated the scholly offer.  He found my response humorous.

He opened up to me quite a bit when I’d walk with him, and seemed like a genuinely good guy.  Not too square where he wasn’t afraid to let out an F-bomb or two, but articulate and friendly if he knew you.

Thank you for this real-world example of a longer-term-acquaintance relationship with Wojo. Sounds like he's not Mr. Excitement but is a decent guy that most would have liked if they had gotten to know him at all.

Folks judge far too much - good or bad - on one chance meeting with a person.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2021, 04:49:31 PM »
I did enjoy the Buzz’s barbecues back in the hay day.   I don’t know if wojo did anything like that but I haven’t lived in Milwaukee in awhile.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2021, 04:56:29 PM »
He’s a phony cowboy

we had a big alumni event in NYC with Buzz as the draw. Over 300 showed up. Buzz stayed isolated before the event, did an incredibly self-serving interview on stage with a MU grad Ben Tracy of CBS News (in which Buzz backtracked on the statement about not wanting to leave MU), then he couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Around athletics, after a few years people would have taken the Creans back (yes, even Joni) than put up with Buzz and his wife anymore.

Wojo just wasn't a shameless self-promoter, he was there to coach.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2021, 05:07:09 PM »
Wojo might not show his personality, but Buzz's "personality" was all a facade.
As I have repeatedly said the phony downhome lonesome cowboy.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2021, 05:09:44 PM »

Am I the only one who didn't know your role/job/profession/association with MUBB?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2021, 05:11:34 PM »
Am I the only one who didn't know your role/job/profession/association with MUBB?

You probably didn't follow his name change from MU_Pilot.

Edit: Secondarily funny because you had one of the first responses to his first post:
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=54843.msg961788#msg961788
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 05:14:58 PM by rocky_warrior »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2021, 05:11:53 PM »

Yes. At least of those who've been here since his previous name.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2021, 05:14:44 PM »

Ah.

Even still. He could have just been a pilot who went to MU.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2021, 05:16:17 PM »

Edit: Secondarily funny because you had one of the first responses to his first post:
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=54843.msg961788#msg961788

I've been told via PM from another poster that we aren't supposed to reference his old name...
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback