[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Scholl On Homer Radio Show  (Read 10624 times)

Viper

• All American
Re: Scholl On Homer Radio Show
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2021, 08:40:29 PM »
Homer is a really good guy.  You might not like his show, but he’s done a lot of good for MU.

He just pledged to donate $5K to MU if they hire Beilein before Monday.
and to think Homer is a UW grad! Played varsity tennis there. But, He sincerely loves MU and MU hoops. Also, not his job to drill the AD in an interview.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2021, 08:45:25 PM »
Homer is a UW grad and has said the only connection he has with MUBB is that they pay me.

If you've spent any time with him it's clear how much he cares about the program.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2021, 09:02:16 PM »
I don't get the Homer hate on here. He's entertaining to listen to during the games, has had a good rapport with Thompson, McIlvane and now Smith, and seems to really enjoy MU basketball. Among college basketball radio voices, he's pretty good compared to others out there.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2021, 09:06:48 PM »
Ziggy

U put it in teal, but I’ve actually heard that u are close to correct.  Scholl wanted an experienced former HC type on the bench.   

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2021, 10:59:50 PM »

The donors mattered.  The fans voices may have included those with money but this process started long before the PT article was posted.

That article 100% mattered.  It’s actually scary how much it mattered.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2021, 11:23:36 PM »
That part was strange. Wondered if perhaps they pressured Wojo to hire a more experienced assistant than Wojo would typically hire to coach/ball at lunch.

You don’t need to put that part in teal.  That may well have been something Scholl discussed with Wojo, which Wojo was not receptive to.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2021, 11:32:48 PM »
Scholl mentions it again right at the beginning of this interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj5qNW4T-Pk
Thank You

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2021, 12:08:14 AM »

If the article was a big factor, we need a new AD before we hire our new coach.

A decision this big needs to be made by a strong leader exercising rational analysis and sound judgment…not as a knee-jerk reaction to a blog post. It doesn’t matter how well written the post was; it should NOT have been a significant factor in this decision.

Doo

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2021, 12:16:24 AM »
Agree 100% and Lens never says why he knows “100%” that the article was “scary” significant the in Wojo’s firing.   

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Scholl On Homer Radio Show Right Now
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2021, 12:27:51 AM »
Jesus man I don't know if this was an attempt to compliment the fan base or if he's that ignorant but the statement "I just learned over the past little while how important winning is to our fans"  really rubbed me the wrong way for an AD talking about our stories program.

His words were vague, but I have a feeling he was really saying "Until last night I didn't think our donors/fans were willing to drop > $9mil on a buyout because Wojo hasn't been winning enough"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Scholl On Homer Radio Show Right Now
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2021, 12:37:33 AM »
His words were vague, but I have a feeling he was really saying "Until last night I didn't think our donors/fans were willing to drop > $9mil on a buyout because Wojo hasn't been winning enough"

That makes a lot more sense.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2021, 12:44:19 AM »
Agree 100% and Lens never says why he knows “100%” that the article was “scary” significant the in Wojo’s firing.

No one asked...
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2021, 12:44:59 AM »
That part was strange. Wondered if perhaps they pressured Wojo to hire a more experienced assistant than Wojo would typically hire to coach/ball at lunch.
You don’t need teal there. That’s likely what it was. Scholl tells Wojo the only way forward is if you get a proven X’s and O’s guy that has been a head coach and you let him take charge in select situations or you’re gone. Wojo decided to keep his pride and cash in the buyout.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2021, 12:50:43 AM »
I think the article gave very powerful and rich people the vocabulary they needed to properly express their dissatisfaction with Wojo. They were always dissatisfied but maybe didn't know how to explain what they were dissatisfied with. I think Wojo was already on the way to getting fired this year before the article came out but it probably helped loosen the pursestrings a bit.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2021, 12:54:51 AM »

Wrong. The decision was made already.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2021, 12:59:25 AM »
Scholl mentions it again right at the beginning of this interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj5qNW4T-Pk

Bumping again, because Scholl actually answers a lot of question here (i.e. - worth the 8 minutes...on 2x speed)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2021, 09:17:40 AM »

I agree.  The article .. (and the billboard, really,) showed it wasn't just the usual: fans griping they didn't win a national championship this year.  It gave everyone a vocabulary, and another flashing red light for Scholl.

The season was over.  For 5-6 days, you and your boss have "several" conversations about finding the path forward and he does not fire you.   Then he does.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2021, 09:20:43 AM »

The donors mattered.  The fans voices may have included those with money but this process started long before the PT article was posted.

Probably true but this is coming from the guy who made it a point to tell everyone, in every thread, that Wojo wouldn’t be fired.

You have no idea what you’re talking about
Bring back FFP!!!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2021, 09:23:03 AM »
Contrary to what some claimed, the PT article mattered (awesome job again to those involved). The fan’s voices mattered.

No, Marquette University did not make a multimillion dollar decision in a span of 24 hours based on the posting of a fan blog.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2021, 09:33:10 AM »
No, Marquette University did not make a multimillion dollar decision in a span of 24 hours based on the posting of a fan blog.

100% correct. Serious discussions were taking place as soon as we were eliminated in the BE tourney. The Administration and the BOT has been getting an earful the last several months. Marquette does not make decisions in a span of 24 hours about anything.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2021, 09:40:03 AM »
I think it’s hard to say a fan blog article pushed the admin to change a decision.

I can see that it could have confirmed how far the fan base had become alienated with the direction of the program and there was not a likely a path to a happy ending next year with a few coaching ‘adjustments’.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2021, 09:48:02 AM »
Probably true but this is coming from the guy who made it a point to tell everyone, in every thread, that Wojo wouldn’t be fired.

You have no idea what you’re talking about

To defend Fluffy here, and you can hear it in Scholl's talks, the idea of paying a multimillion dollar payout out of MU's operational budget was not a reality until the last few days when donors stepped up. The press release was very clear to point that out as that is bad karma when layoffs are occurring all over the university.

As Scholl said it was a close call. Who knows what the conversations between Wojo and Scholl were, but MU may have tried the Haurbaugh clause to extend (among other things) to give Steve one more chance, and Wojo dug in. That may have been the tipping point for Scholl, who then went looking for buyout money and found eager donors. That solved the internal hurdles.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2021, 09:53:16 AM »
Wrong. The decision was made already.

This is what I was trying to get at in other threads.

Posters talk down about other posters for not listening to "inside" info.

But, here's 2 competing opinions.

How is someone not on the inside supposed to know who is right?

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2021, 10:04:23 AM »
To defend Fluffy here, and you can hear it in Scholl's talks, the idea of paying a multimillion dollar payout out of MU's operational budget was not a reality until the last few days when donors stepped up. The press release was very clear to point that out as that is bad karma when layoffs are occurring all over the university.

As Scholl said it was a close call. Who knows what the conversations between Wojo and Scholl were, but MU may have tried the Haurbaugh clause to extend (among other things) to give Steve one more chance, and Wojo dug in. That may have been the tipping point for Scholl, who then went looking for buyout money and found eager donors. That solved the internal hurdles.

Nope. The tipping point was Wojo not wanting to change his staff...like an idiot

Anyone with a pulse knew he had to make changes to his staff but he was too stubborn to do so
Bring back FFP!!!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2021, 10:23:54 AM »
Nope. The tipping point was Wojo not wanting to change his staff...like an idiot

Anyone with a pulse knew he had to make changes to his staff but he was too stubborn to do so

That wasn't my point (tipping), my point (and the point of the thread stream) was MU's original plan as to bring him back. Fluffy wasn't wrong at the time.

feedback